NYPD officer in Eric Garner case fired

Or it looked like a chokehold, but wasn't.

It looked like a chokehold... and he was screaming "I can't breathe"...

Dying was a nice touch, too.

He was resisting arrest.

He was fat and out of shape.

Mr. Garner probably shouldn't have picked a fight with the NYPD, under those circumstances.

But if the police officers would have ignored the illegal cigarette sales, Garner wouldn't have bothered fighting them.

Blame the lawmakers for making selling loosies something the NYPD is concerned about.

He was resisting arrest.

Mr. Garner probably shouldn't have picked a fight with the NYPD, under those circumstances.

But if the police officers would have ignored the illegal cigarette sales, Garner wouldn't have bothered fighting them.

Blame the lawmakers for making selling loosies something the NYPD is concerned about.

Its the massive taxes that lawmakers impose on tobacco that made Garner's enterprise successful. Most smokers would just as soon buy a full pack out of a machine. But when the price is over $5, that's a lot of freaking quarters.

He was resisting arrest.

While I agree with this, as a police officer I simply could not jump someone over something like this.

He was resisting arrest.

While I agree with this, as a police officer I simply could not jump someone over something like this.

Police officers are a quasi-military outfit who listen to their superiors' instructions as to what to watch out for. The sergeant should have told the men not to hassle young black guys selling loosies.

Of course, the cops know that now.

He was resisting arrest.

Police officers are a quasi-military outfit who listen to their superiors' instructions as to what to watch out for. The sergeant should have told the men not to hassle young black guys selling loosies.

From what I recall, the mayor wanted it done. You would think he would have had more pressing matters to deal with.

He was resisting arrest.

From what I recall, the mayor wanted it done. You would think he would have had more pressing matters to deal with.

The city does make a lot of money off of cigarette taxes. Finances are a big matter, the politicians promised great things would be done with taxes on tobacco

Of course there are and Pantaleo is one of them, he is lucky he isn't being prosecuted.

If Officer Pantaleo wasn't a bad cop, he would have ignored the fact that Mr. Garner was selling unlicensed ciggies and kept on walking, pretending that he didn't see it.

If Pantaleo was an outstanding police officer he would have stopped to buy a newport, and help a young man like Garner just looking to get by.

If Pantaleo hadn't applied an illegal choke hold Eric Garner would be alive today.

If Pantaleo hadn't applied a choke hold, Garner may have got the better of him and Pantaleo might not be alive.

The safe move for Pantaleo would have been not to harass or question Mr. Garner to start with.

There was at least 4 or 5 other officers there as well, so that is some bullshit.

Of course there are and Pantaleo is one of them, he is lucky he isn't being prosecuted.

If Officer Pantaleo wasn't a bad cop, he would have ignored the fact that Mr. Garner was selling unlicensed ciggies and kept on walking, pretending that he didn't see it.

If Pantaleo was an outstanding police officer he would have stopped to buy a newport, and help a young man like Garner just looking to get by.

If Pantaleo hadn't applied an illegal choke hold Eric Garner would be alive today.

Eric was a bad guy and a terrible father. Dying was the best thing he ever did. Now his family finally got some money.

Would that be the best thing you could do?

The policeman was not prosecuted
He was removed from his job for not doing his job

After he was investigated for indictment at the State AND the Federal level.

This reeks of them settling for crumbs.

He was doing his job, the question was how he did his job. Garner resisted arrest.

The guy was selling cigarettes

Hand him a citation and walk away

What would have happened if the police just walked away?

He was doing his job, the question was how he did his job. Garner resisted arrest.

That might have happened if Garner didn't start throwing a fit.

Eric was a bad guy and a terrible father. Dying was the best thing he ever did. Now his family finally got some money.

Would that be the best thing you could do?
Informing you on all subjects.

They couldn't. No one saw him selling cigarettes.

What would have happened if the police just walked away?

The law abiding citizenry might have complained. The police commander would bitch at the patrolman about loosies being trafficked on the streets and how much money the city was losing.

No kind of heat that a cop wouldn't be able to take.

I'm sure that this now the common reaction of the police to this kind of activity- particularly when black youths are involved.

He was still doing it however, and the police knew he was doing it.

He was still doing it however, and the police knew he was doing it.

Whether he was or not is irrelevant to what happened. No one saw him selling cigarette's. You can not force someone to allow you to search them in that case.

Forum List

Back