NYT: Will electric cars become an environmental catastrophe?

Well, not exactly old history. If not mistaken, they didn’t have solar panels for recharging in 1904. Yesterday, we were averaging 67 W from a single 100 W panel mounted on the moving trike, and people were asking about it.

Well, not exactly old history. If not mistaken, they didn’t have solar panels for recharging in 1904. Yesterday, we were averaging 67 W from a single 100 W panel mounted on the moving trike, and people were asking about it.
If only you could recharge at 67wh on a vehicle that didn't average more than an extra 67wh just to haul a solar panel around...

What you mean to say is
"NEXT environmental disaster."

Fossil fuels have given us a disaster from which we may never recover.

Should have listened to Jimmy Carter.
"NEXT" is the most appropriate term to use to describe something in chronological order. For example, you described fossil fuels as a disaster, so whatever disaster happens after this fossil fuel disaster would be the "NEXT" one. Duh...

#42: The extra weight is not noticeable, our motor is 1000W with a 14.5 Ahr battery. We don’t do pass-through charging from the battery that’s being used, though that (second) extra battery weight is noticeable. Half the panel was not exposed to direct sunlight due to the way it’s mounted, so future designs will improve.

Standardized, battery vending machines will eliminate the weight of a solar panel if they are located every 30-50 miles or so, depending on future solid-state improvements. It will take less than a few minutes to exchange one battery for the other, perhaps only seconds.

Well, currently, renewables like solar and wind are and will remain a tiny percentage of world electrical production, while coal is still at the same percentage it was 30 years ago, about 40% of the total, which in real terms is a massive increase given the huge rise in total energy production, and the commies' 'Zero Emissions' program is a bad joke. Also, over 40% of current air pollution was generated over a hundred years ago, and modern bedwetting and hysterical neurotic handwringing will do nothing to get rid of that. A former Obama 'climate scientist;, a physicist, has a new book out on how the data is being massaged and deformed for political reasons, Koonin is his name.

Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, and Why It Matters Hardcover by Steve Koonin​

At amazon; for some reason the link won't show up when I paste it here. Try the WSJ review ...

Already hit pieces out on it that never refute anything he says but attempts to deflect and distort what he says on the research data. Too many fake jobs depend on the scam.

Last edited:
Standardized, battery vending machines will eliminate the weight of a solar panel if they are located every 30-50 miles or so, depending on future solid-state improvements. It will take less than a few minutes to exchange one battery for the other, perhaps only seconds.
Why don't you just change the entire car?

Why don't you just change the entire car?

How many bus tickets or Uber rides can one buy with what they waste on the thing?

Solar powered vehicles have been participating in cross country races for over two decades. They seem to have little problem covering the overhead.

Solar powered vehicles aren't quite as stupid if they are recharged from solar panels that stay behind when the recharged vehicle deploys.
At national and global levels, solar and wind are still just clueless Burb Brat stoner fantasies and gee whiz rubbish. Good luck trying to sell solar panels to root grubbing insect eating poor people in India or anywhere else. Those people still make sandals out of discarded cardboard.

Lithium ion batteries are a terrible choice for vehicles. Inefficient and an ecological disaster. Most people that are stupid enough to buy them will probably regret it.

Solid State batteries may be the answer if they can work out the engineering problems.

A solar panel on a bike is not stupid at all. Even without a battery onboard, the people see (an idea in motion [italics]).

What you mean to say is
"NEXT environmental disaster."

Fossil fuels have given us a disaster from which we may never recover.

Should have listened to Jimmy Carter.
"NEXT" is the most appropriate term to use to describe something in chronological order. For example, you described fossil fuels as a disaster, so whatever disaster happens after this fossil fuel disaster would be the "NEXT" one. Duh...
I'm going to give this particular display of dumb a pass, this time.

Maybe reread my post where I said "NEXT"

#42: The extra weight is not noticeable, our motor is 1000W with a 14.5 Ahr battery. We don’t do pass-through charging from the battery that’s being used, though that (second) extra battery weight is noticeable. Half the panel was not exposed to direct sunlight due to the way it’s mounted, so future designs will improve.
It will be easier to get around if you leave the solar panel behind. Use it to charge the battery, then leave it behind. If you lug that panel around with the bike, it will waste all that energy from the sun that you charged up with. Solar panels don't add up right for bicycles.

It will be easier to get around if you leave the solar panel behind. Use it to charge the battery, then leave it behind. If you lug that panel around with the bike, it will waste all that energy from the sun that you charged up with. Solar panels don't add up right for bicycles.
Gotta admit I don't quite know what you're talking about

But

That solar panels for bicycles thing rang me as some really lazy crap.

They already are....But the lithium mines are in China and Murican liberoidals don't GAF about their environment.
Electric vehicles are still the future.

I get inside information on this because my eldest daughter is an engineer for a major auto manufacturer.

Mark my words, the electric vehicles coming out in the very near future will blow your fucking mind.

They already are....But the lithium mines are in China and Murican liberoidals don't GAF about their environment.

I get inside information on this because my eldest daughter is an engineer for a major auto manufacturer.

Mark my words, the electric vehicles coming out in the very near future will blow your fucking mind.
Don't care one way or the other.

Point is that the argument about sparky cars being a supposed environmental benefit ignores numerous aspects of the resources required to build and maintain them.

Don't care one way or the other.

Point is that the argument about sparky cars being a supposed environmental benefit ignores numerous aspects of the resources required to build and maintain them.
There is no environmental benefit to electric vehicles. It's all about efficiency and performance.

An electric motor has nearly 100% torque right from the starting line. Right at the get-go. 0 RPM.

And then there is regenerative braking. That makes them very efficient.

Lately, I often ride around on an electric bicycle. And I am currently designing an electric flying saucer. At this point it's only a drone, but soon, within the next year or two, I'm going to be George Jetsoning. The unmanned scale model drone has already got the neighbors freaking out.

They think I'm going to crash it. And they are right. I will probably crash a few times when I get on it. And I will possibly break a few of my bones and splat some squishy internal organs if I crash.

But it will be fun and exciting. There's no doubt about that.

Last edited:
Electric vehicles charged from renewable electric sources do have an environmental benefit.

You have fun with your flying saucer.

Forum List

Back