NYT: Will electric cars become an environmental catastrophe?

I just love OP links blocked by paywalls.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 3.47.57 PM.png

Electric vehicles charged from renewable electric sources do have an environmental benefit.

You have fun with your flying saucer.

While in theory one could reduce emissions if they somehow could use renewable sources, the reality is they can't.
Car batteries need to be charged at night when there is no solar, and wind is not consistent enough.
So the reality is that most EVs get recharged by coal.
And since there is a 50% loss in generating, a 10% loss in transmission, a 50% loss in storage, a 50% loss in extraction, and a final 50% loss converting to kinetic energy, EVs are incredibly inefficient and dirty.
They are only 6% efficient comparted to the 50% of a diesel engine.
And a bio diesel actually cleans more than it pollutes.

They already are....But the lithium mines are in China and Murican liberoidals don't GAF about their environment.
Electric vehicles are still the future.

I get inside information on this because my eldest daughter is an engineer for a major auto manufacturer.

Mark my words, the electric vehicles coming out in the very near future will blow your fucking mind.
Don't care one way or the other.

Point is that the argument about sparky cars being a supposed environmental benefit ignores numerous aspects of the resources required to build and maintain them.
There is no environmental benefit to electric vehicles. It's all about efficiency and performance.

An electric motor has nearly 100% torque right from the starting line. Right at the get-go. 0 RPM.

And then there is regenerative braking. That makes them very efficient.

Lately, I often ride around on an electric bicycle. And I am currently designing an electric flying saucer. At this point it's only a drone, but soon, within the next year or two, I'm going to be George Jetsoning. The unmanned scale model drone has already got the neighbors freaking out.

They think I'm going to crash it. And they are right. I will probably crash a few times when I get on it. And I will possibly break a few of my bones and splat some squishy internal organs if I crash.

But it will be fun and exciting. There's no doubt about that.

EVs are extremely inefficient since you have the added 50% loss both in and out of the battery.
Flying EVs are downright silly because the horrendous battery weight.

Bio diesel actually cleans more than it pollutes.
Far lighter and more concentrated energy storage.

A solar panel on a bike is not stupid at all. Even without a battery onboard, the people see (an idea in motion [italics]).

Yes it is silly.
Solar panels are heavy, glass, fragile, likely to be pointed wrong, expensive, and need heavy batteries and motors.

Lithium ion batteries are a terrible choice for vehicles. Inefficient and an ecological disaster. Most people that are stupid enough to buy them will probably regret it.

Solid State batteries may be the answer if they can work out the engineering problems.

Best likely is a fuel cell running on hydrogen or compressed natural gas.
Weights less than 10% what batteries weigh.

They already are....But the lithium mines are in China and Murican liberoidals don't GAF about their environment.
Electric vehicles are still the future.

I get inside information on this because my eldest daughter is an engineer for a major auto manufacturer.

Mark my words, the electric vehicles coming out in the very near future will blow your fucking mind.
Don't care one way or the other.

Point is that the argument about sparky cars being a supposed environmental benefit ignores numerous aspects of the resources required to build and maintain them.
There is no environmental benefit to electric vehicles. It's all about efficiency and performance.

An electric motor has nearly 100% torque right from the starting line. Right at the get-go. 0 RPM.

And then there is regenerative braking. That makes them very efficient.

Lately, I often ride around on an electric bicycle. And I am currently designing an electric flying saucer. At this point it's only a drone, but soon, within the next year or two, I'm going to be George Jetsoning. The unmanned scale model drone has already got the neighbors freaking out.

They think I'm going to crash it. And they are right. I will probably crash a few times when I get on it. And I will possibly break a few of my bones and splat some squishy internal organs if I crash.

But it will be fun and exciting. There's no doubt about that.

EVs are extremely inefficient since you have the added 50% loss both in and out of the battery.
Flying EVs are downright silly because the horrendous battery weight.

Bio diesel actually cleans more than it pollutes.
Far lighter and more concentrated energy storage.
I agree with you about the newer diesels. We have a massive fleet of big rigs that are gigantic air cleaners constantly roaming our highways as they go about their business.

And yes I know that there is a weight issue with battery powered airships but I don't think that problem is insurmountable. As I said before, you can just use more helium to offset that weight and make it more buoyant.

We have submarines that weigh thousands of pounds fer crissakes. Some even have onboard nuclear reactors. Yet they somehow surface.

We can do the same thing with airships.

Last edited:
Lithium ion batteries are a terrible choice for vehicles. Inefficient and an ecological disaster. Most people that are stupid enough to buy them will probably regret it.

Solid State batteries may be the answer if they can work out the engineering problems.

Best likely is a fuel cell running on hydrogen or compressed natural gas.
Weights less than 10% what batteries weigh.
Maybe, but doesn't put out high levels of energy.

I don't know about an environment catastrophe but if they try to convert everything to EV's it will be a cluster fuck.

Electric vehicles charged from renewable electric sources do have an environmental benefit.

You have fun with your flying saucer.

While in theory one could reduce emissions if they somehow could use renewable sources, the reality is they can't.
Car batteries need to be charged at night when there is no solar, and wind is not consistent enough.
So the reality is that most EVs get recharged by coal.
And since there is a 50% loss in generating, a 10% loss in transmission, a 50% loss in storage, a 50% loss in extraction, and a final 50% loss converting to kinetic energy, EVs are incredibly inefficient and dirty.
They are only 6% efficient comparted to the 50% of a diesel engine.
And a bio diesel actually cleans more than it pollutes.
You Lie!!! - Night baseload power comes from Nuclear. Plus Wind Blows Turbines Strongest at Night.

EuPK4_ZXYAAOy3q.png

Bullshit. They affect the environment far less than strip mining or mountain top removal mining for coal. Much less than tar sand mining for oil. Less than mining for copper. But it is not in your political interest to object to any of that mining. You are simply a lying hypocrite. A typical Trump ass kisser.

Electric cars=glorified golf carts. Zero HP.
GM does not make a vehicle that can compare to the Tesla Model S Plaid. And it is a 5 passenger luxury vehicle. 0 to 60 mph in 2 seconds. 9.23 second quarter mile. 200 mph top end. And almost everything in it is made in America, unlike GM products.

GM does not make a vehicle that can compare to the Tesla Model S Plaid. And it is a 5 passenger luxury vehicle. 0 to 60 mph in 2 seconds. 9.23 second quarter mile. 200 mph top end. And almost everything in it is made in America, unlike GM products.
Pass. If I have to charge every 8 hours? No way. Give me an ICE vehicle any day.

Liar.

"the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from ... lithium-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels, according to the results of an in-depth investigation into the relative fire risks of the two types of vehicles conducted by Battelle for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2017."

Pass. If I have to charge every 8 hours? No way. Give me an ICE vehicle any day.
So, you never sleep. So you drive 300 miles, and have to stop and have some coffee while you get another 300 miles of charge in about 45 minutes, soon to be about 20 minutes. And, by 2025, less than that. By 2030, most of the cars that are being built will be EV's. Same for pickups and semi's.

Vending machines will not require the purchaser to give a damn when the battery was charged, or how. The momentum going downhill is now recharging e-bikes.

Dipshit, because they’re always already precharged, and this can be solar, Dipshit.

Forum List

Back