Oakland Votes To Remove Police From Schools

I've long advocated to remove the police from the schools. Now maybe there are rare schools that I would understand but IMO it sends a bad message to kids. The odds of anything happening in any particular school is extremely low. We even know that the officer ran away at Parkland.

The thing is in most public schools teachers are no longer symbols of authority. Now when a kid starts fucking around and maybe actually makes contact with a teacher, all they can do is get an administrator, who probably doesn't get any respect either, or just let the little brat disrupt things and ruin it for the other kids.

And if it gets real bad you would have to call in outside cops who maybe don't have the additional training assigned in school police would have.

I'm pretty sure that you are no expert to be discussing what goes on in "most" schools.

I know teachers, and some of them work in disadvantaged areas. They have no real power over their students. Once they get to 6th grade or so they realize they can get away with bloody murder and the worst that can happen to them is they get sent home.

Cops at least have an aura of authority, now that will be gone.

RIght, you know teachers so that makes you an expert on what goes on in "most" schools.

I am talking about the most difficult schools, and Oakland has a reputation of being a disadvantaged area.

You are quibbling about bullshit because you can't argue the actual points.

No, you said "most" schools. If you want to discuss actual points quit making things up.

I said that teachers don't command the respect they once did in most schools. Then I said this can be a real issue in disadvantaged schools, and removing an authority figure such as a cop from said schools can be an issue.

Now refute my point, or fuck off.

I already did. You are not an expert in what goes on in "most" schools. Provide your expertise here and I'll concede.

I never claimed to be. You are arguing my credentials (which I never claimed) instead of the point I am trying to make.

Why is removing the cops a good idea?

It's sending the message to the students from early on that school is a dangerous place to be. There may be small pockets where it is and that should be addressed but for the rest, I disagree in instilling that from an early age.

I've long advocated to remove the police from the schools. Now maybe there are rare schools that I would understand but IMO it sends a bad message to kids. The odds of anything happening in any particular school is extremely low. We even know that the officer ran away at Parkland.

The thing is in most public schools teachers are no longer symbols of authority. Now when a kid starts fucking around and maybe actually makes contact with a teacher, all they can do is get an administrator, who probably doesn't get any respect either, or just let the little brat disrupt things and ruin it for the other kids.

And if it gets real bad you would have to call in outside cops who maybe don't have the additional training assigned in school police would have.

I'm pretty sure that you are no expert to be discussing what goes on in "most" schools.

I know teachers, and some of them work in disadvantaged areas. They have no real power over their students. Once they get to 6th grade or so they realize they can get away with bloody murder and the worst that can happen to them is they get sent home.

RIght, you know teachers so that makes you an expert on what goes on in "most" schools.

I am talking about the most difficult schools, and Oakland has a reputation of being a disadvantaged area.

No, you said "most" schools. If you want to discuss actual points quit making things up.

I said that teachers don't command the respect they once did in most schools. Then I said this can be a real issue in disadvantaged schools, and removing an authority figure such as a cop from said schools can be an issue.

I already did. You are not an expert in what goes on in "most" schools. Provide your expertise here and I'll concede.

I never claimed to be. You are arguing my credentials (which I never claimed) instead of the point I am trying to make.

It's sending the message to the students from early on that school is a dangerous place to be. There may be small pockets where it is and that should be addressed but for the rest, I disagree in instilling that from an early age.

Or it gets used to them seeing a police officer as yes, an authority figure, but someone to be trusted and talked to if there are issues.

Or maybe you give teachers and administrators some of the authority they used to have.

Or it gets used to them seeing a police officer as yes, an authority figure, but someone to be trusted and talked to if there are issues.

Or maybe you give teachers and administrators some of the authority they used to have.

I haven't argued against that. To make changes there has to be discussions concerning the ramifications of those changes.

Police are not in every school. Are schools dangerous because cops are present?
Or are cops present because schools are dangerous?

Police are not in every school. Are schools dangerous because cops are present?
Or are cops present because schools are dangerous?

Most schools are not dangerous.

Wonderful.
Why were there police in schools in the first place? We will find out.

How did it stop what happened in Parkland?

You clearly have no experience in education. the SRO's have a lot more to do than just simply stop a potential mass shooter.

Ever seen a gang jump a kid and paralyze them at a school? Ever had a teenager attempt to intimidate you and fight you in a classroom before (granted my students threatened to intervene but still). Ever have underage kids bring guns to your work place? Ever had a kid leave your classroom so they can "go sell molly"? Ever have a girl prostituting herself out in the girls' bathroom to make money from boys? I have to all of the above and clearly you haven't because you have no experience education. Ever have a male student throw an unopened (but unused) condom at a female student? Ever have a student grab a female's student's ass-unwanted mind you? By the way half of what I'm saying here occurred at my current school which is one of the best in the state. I've worked at inner city schools and your affluent suburbs schools and the only difference in the drugs they do is that the suburban kids do more expensive drugs. The inner city schools tend to actually have more resources and programs for the kids (at least in my district). Teachers get paid more to work those schools...and most still pack up and move from them. You want to know why? I'll give you a hint: has nothing to do with the SRO and everything to do with the lack of accountability we have for students all across the country in regards to their behavior and academics.

Stop playing politics and listen to myself and some of my peers who actually do my job, maybe you'll learn a thing or two. I work in a high school and I'd guess that the political ratio is 70/30 Democrat/Republican and I can tell you that NOBODY wants the SRO gone. NOBODY. I understand that most Democrats think that they're on the sides of teachers and education and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

You don't speak for teachers. Stop pretending like you know what it's like teaching at a public school. Just stop.

Last edited:
A long tine ago, it was not even thought of to have cops in school
When I was in elementary school we had the safety patrol and that was as far as it went. But than again the teachers were allowed to discipline the students

I haven't argued against that. To make changes there has to be discussions concerning the ramifications of those changes.

But usually there are not discussions, just action. Charged times lead to snap judgement, and no thoughts outside of the assumed results.

Right now the thought is Remove Cops = Racism free utopia in schools.

Wonderful.

You clearly have no experience in education. the SRO's have a lot more to do than just simply stop a potential mass shooter.

Ever seen a gang jump a kid and paralyze them at a school? Ever had a teenager attempt to intimidate you and fight you in a classroom before (granted my students threatened to intervene but still). Ever have underage kids bring guns to your work place? Ever had a kid leave your classroom so they can "go sell molly"? Ever have a girl prostituting herself out in the girls' bathroom to make money from boys? I have to all of the above and clearly you haven't because you have no experience education. Ever have a male student throw an unopened (but unused) condom at a female student? Ever have a student grab a female's student's ass-unwanted mind you? By the way half of what I'm saying here occurred at my current school which is one of the best in the state. I've worked at inner city schools and your affluent suburbs schools and the only difference in the drugs they do is that the suburban kids do more expensive drugs. The inner city schools tend to actually have more resources and programs for the kids (at least in my district). Teachers get paid more to work those schools...and most still pack up and move from them. You want to know why? I'll give you a hint: has nothing to do with the SRO and everything to do with the lack of accountability we have for students all across the country in regards to their behavior and academics.

Stop playing politics and listen to myself and some of my peers who actually do my job, maybe you'll learn a thing or two. I work in a high school and I'd guess that the political ratio is 70/30 Democrat/Republican and I can tell you that NOBODY wants the SRO gone. NOBODY. I understand that most Democrats think that they're on the sides of teachers and education and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

You don't speak for teachers. Stop pretending like you know what it's like teaching at a public school. Just stop.

You have ignored what I wrote. This happens often. You don't read what I wrote, you read what you want what I wrote to say.

Wonderful.

Didn't the cop run like a coward? The Oakland schools are like juvenile prisons where the inmates go home. There were beatings, robberies and open drug use. Every day. That's why the schools have police. Not because of the one day there might be a nut with a gun

Is that why the police were at Parkland and schools all over the country?

No.....they are at Parkland and all over the country because the democrat party controls the education system....and the students under their control in democrat party cities are violent and dangerous........they attack teachers, other students and cause arrestable offences...

Remember, the Parkland shooter should have been arrested several times....but the obama policy of not arresting criminal students allowed him to be in that school......the "Promise Program," from obama and his minions kept the parkland shooter from getting a criminal record, a record that would have kept him from getting the gun legally........that's another crime on the democrat party.

Wonderful.

Parkland happened because it was a huge campus........... and the odds of the school resource officer covering all of the buildings is zero......

And that he ran away? This is the only "huge" campus in the country?

Nope....pointing out that the shooter could have attacked any building there and not run into the school resource officer........and since these shooters plan their attacks on average 6 months to 2 years in advance of the attack, could have known the routine of the officer and where he is during the day.....

What could possibly go wrong?

See how many really pissed off parents won't send their future anarchists to school in the Fall.
September headlines: School violence skyrockets, gun confiscation required.
..in the hipsanic and black schools
..I knew a teacher that worked at black schools..he said the KIDS would get in the teachers faces/etc
...truth--black culture breeds criminals/violent kids

Wrong....fatherless homes leads to children who are raised without guidance as to how to be civilized....and he democrat party has made sure that Black children are born in broken homes 75% of the time. They are doing their best to do that to White and Hispanic homes as well....

Wonderful.
Oakland is filled with gang bangers. Parents and school officials insisted on police at schools.
Now it's not a good idea? If I was a teacher there I would bring suit against the Oakland School District which, supposedly, is protecting teachers against students.

Political hysteria trumps common sense and reason again. The trouble starts the day this policy is
put in place.

Yeah....that policy won't last half the school year....the teachers know what this means.........the rich white, democrat party members will have private security in their schools, and the poor Black democrats will be at the mercy of the gangs and violent, fatherless children........

Everything the democrat party does hurts Black and Hispanic Families the most......and they still vote for it.....

Wonderful.

Didn't the cop run like a coward? The Oakland schools are like juvenile prisons where the inmates go home. There were beatings, robberies and open drug use. Every day. That's why the schools have police. Not because of the one day there might be a nut with a gun

Is that why the police were at Parkland and schools all over the country?

No.....they are at Parkland and all over the country because the democrat party controls the education system....and the students under their control in democrat party cities are violent and dangerous........they attack teachers, other students and cause arrestable offences...

Remember, the Parkland shooter should have been arrested several times....but the obama policy of not arresting criminal students allowed him to be in that school......the "Promise Program," from obama and his minions kept the parkland shooter from getting a criminal record, a record that would have kept him from getting the gun legally........that's another crime on the democrat party.

I do not care the reasons why. I would like to see them removed.

Hey.....dumb shit..........

The most recent national report on Indicators of School Crime and Safety reveals that of about 3.8 million teachers, 10 percent (or 373,900) teachers reported that students had threatened them with injury. Another 6 percent, or 220,300 teachers, reported that a student had physically attacked them.

School violence represents a national crisis. Schools struggle to address this problem, and many educators lack the training and support to effectively prevent and address violence. Our research is diving into violence against teachers and strategies to solve the issue.

As a 25-year scholar on school violence and a member of the American Psychological Association National Task Force on Violence Against Teachers, I, along with colleagues, anonymously surveyed over 3,000 pre-kindergarten through 12th-grade teachers across the United States to better understand the violence that teachers experience in schools.

We found that while verbal aggression is the most common form, 44 percent of teachers reported experiencing at least one physical offense. Physical offenses are often serious, and 9 percent of teachers reported a doctor visit following the injury. Many teachers are physically victimized by students, parents, and colleagues, making the workplace a toxic environment.

Wonderful.

Parkland happened because it was a huge campus........... and the odds of the school resource officer covering all of the buildings is zero......

And that he ran away? This is the only "huge" campus in the country?

Nope....pointing out that the shooter could have attacked any building there and not run into the school resource officer........and since these shooters plan their attacks on average 6 months to 2 years in advance of the attack, could have known the routine of the officer and where he is during the day.....

Which means cops are irrelevant.

Forum List

Back