Obama accuses Republicans of acting like a ‘deadbeat’ by refusing to raise the debt l

First, Congress appropriates spending. It buys stuff on credit. Tanks, fighter jets, warships, roads, bridges, food stamps, etc. Then Congress has to pay that bill with the money collected from revenues, or by borrowing the money. If Congress spends so much that its borrowing will hit the debt ceiling, that is Congress's fault, and they must raise the ceiling.

If the Republican House runs up the credit card, but then does not follow through by paying the bills, that is a textbook deadbeat.

Republicans pretending someone else ran up the credit card past the limit, when they are the ones responsible for us hitting the debt ceiling, is like saying, "I can't be out of money, I still have checks in my checkbook."

Last edited:
Papa Doc obama's entire term has been about removing the US as a world power. It's been his goal from the beginning.

First, Congress appropriates spending. It buys stuff on credit. Tanks, fighter jets, warships, roads, bridges, food stamps, etc.
False. As all revenue goes into and comes from the general fund, there's no sound argument that any given dollar came from borrowing.

Then Congress has to pay that bill with the money collected from revenues, or by borrowing the money. If Congress spends so much that its borrowing will hit the debt ceiling, that is Congress's fault, and they must raise the ceiling.
They do not have to; they can simply not spend more than the revenue that comes in.
There is MORE than enough revenue to pay for our debt service, and so default on the debt is not necessary.

If the Republican House runs up the credit card, but then does not follow through by paying the bills, that is a textbook deadbeat
Your argument is based on two false premises, and thus fails.

First, Congress appropriates spending. It buys stuff on credit. Tanks, fighter jets, warships, roads, bridges, food stamps, etc.
False. As all revenue goes into and comes from the general fund, there's no sound argument that any given dollar came from borrowing.

Then Congress has to pay that bill with the money collected from revenues, or by borrowing the money. If Congress spends so much that its borrowing will hit the debt ceiling, that is Congress's fault, and they must raise the ceiling.
They do not have to; they can simply not spend more than the revenue that comes in.
There is MORE than enough revenue to pay for our debt service, and so default on the debt is not necessary.

If the Republican House runs up the credit card, but then does not follow through by paying the bills, that is a textbook deadbeat

You clearly have never read an appropriations bill nor have any idea how the budgeting and spending process works.

You clearly have never read an appropriations bill nor have any idea how the budgeting and spending process works.
I notice that you did not in any way show how what I said is wrong.
Thus, your argument continues to fail.
You also fail to consider that most federal spending does not to thru the appropirations process.

Last edited:
Congress spent $3.729 trillion in 2012.

That $3.729 trillion did not spend itself. Congress appropriated that spending. Congress APPROVED that spending.

Unfortunatlely, the government took in only $2.627 trillion in revenues.

Now, if you know you are only going to receive something in the neighborhood of $2.627 trillion in revenues, and yet you APPROVE $3.729 trillion in spending, then you KNOW you are going to have to borrow the difference, and you KNOW you are going to go above the debt ceiling when you borrow that difference.

You can't APPROVE that much spending and borrowing and then pretend to be all outraged at having to raise the debt ceiling.

But you know why Congressmen DO pretend to be all shocked, shocked there is so much borrowing going on?

Because the rubes don't understand the same Congressmen who are bellyaching are the same Congressmen who ran up the debt. The rubes are easily fooled because they don't understand even the most fundamental operations of government. See posts 24 and 26 for an example of one such rube.

Last edited:
If the Republican House runs up the credit card, but then does not follow through by paying the bills, that is a textbook deadbeat.
So your contention is that the current deficit is entirely the fault of the current Republican controlled house? So if that's the case the House can act unilaterally to balance the budget and thus obviate the need for further borrowing to cover operating expenses, right?

Congress spent $3.729 trillion in 2012.

That $3.729 trillion did not spend itself. Congress appropriated that spending. Congress APPROVED that spending.

Unfortunatlely, the government took in only $2.627 trillion in revenues.

Now, if you know you are only going to receive something in the neighborhood of $2.627 trillion in revenues, and yet you APPROVE $3.729 trillion in spending, then you KNOW you are going to have to borrow the difference, and you KNOW you are going to go above the debt ceiling when you borrow that difference.

You can't APPROVE that much spending and borrowing and then pretend to be all outraged at having to raise the debt ceiling.
Solution:
1: Dont raise the debt ceiling
2: Dont spend more than the revenue you have - because you cannot.

Done.

So your contention is that the current deficit is entirely the fault of the current Republican controlled house? So if that's the case the House can act unilaterally to balance the budget and thus obviate the need for further borrowing to cover operating expenses, right?
Welcome to partisan bigotry, where -everythig- takes a back seat to the gain/retention of partisan political power.

I absolutely do blame the GOP. Absolutely. The Republican Party is ideologically bankrupt. The GOP is reduced to nothing more than rabid attack dogs without a single original thought or superior idea in their heads. All they do these days is classify every illegal immigrant as a diseased drug smuggling rapist, and whine about how many golf games Obama plays.

They are nothing but pessimists. They are a unified front of whiny little bitches. I've spent a lifetime observing the Left as a suicide cult, but to see the Right become one is particularly infuriating.

There is not a single leader in the GOP. Not one.

You want to cut spending? Then we need to get fucking serious and stop harping about fake scandals. Yes, that's right. Fake scandals. Stop manufacturing bullshit and start producing solutions.

For instance:

Adjusted for inflation, we are spending as much on Defense as we did in World War II. That's more spending than during the Korean War, or during the Vietnam War, or during any period in the entire Cold War, including during Reagan's defense buildup.

Are we in a World War?

Nope.

There is no justification for that kind of spending on defense. But just try to get a Republican to talk about reducing defense spending to pre-9/11 levels. A handful of jets would pay for all the Lifeline Assistance phones ("Obamaphones" originated by Bush) the idiots would rather whine about.

You know why? Because no one wants to be "that guy". That guy who called for scaling back on defense spending just before the next terrorist incident. We have a Congress and a White House chock full of cowards.

You think someone with good ideas is going to come from the Left? I don't. They will have to come from the Right. But the Right is too busy obsessing over man-on-man butt sex these days.

We also need to raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages. We are living decades longer than our ancestors, it is sheer insanity we are defending a retirement age that is identical to theirs. The percentage of seniors in our entitlement load is literally more than double what it was when we started Social Security. We are rapidly approaching triple the load.

That's flat out retarded.

We need some leadership. We need leaders with balls. We need real conservatives who are the smartest people in the room, not some demented devolved demagogues appealing to the lowest common denominator. It is way past time to take out the trash.

So, yeah. You're damn right I blame the Right. These fucking faux conservative bigoted retards we are saddled with today have completely pissed away their legacy.

You know what the GOP is turning into? It is turning into the Deep South Democratic Party of 60 years ago. All focused on mongrel races and shit.

Not kidding.

Last edited:
For instance:
Adjusted for inflation, we are spending as much on Defense as we did in World War II. That's more spending than during the Korean War, or during the Vietnam War, or during any period in the entire Cold War, including during Reagan's defense buildup.
FY2012 defense outlays: $670.5B
TOTAL spendng, FY1945: $92.7B
Adjusted for inflation, that's $690B

Never mind that defense spending is about 30% of entitlement spending.

You know, I found it interesting that the new talking point by the Administration is one in which they simply ask the Congress to do their job.

Secretary Lew was all lover the Sunday talk shows today about this, and even FoxNews dropped the ball on the question that needed to be asked.

If Congress passes a bill on job creation, they have done their job. Are you saying that they have to pass legislation that you agree with to have done their "job?"

Why is it that journalist can't do their job?

I think Republicans are doing their job. The one they started under Bush. Bankrupt the country and get as many Americans killed or maimed as possible. Move the wealth of the nation to the top 1% and drive business overseas.

Course, I'm not sure why the are trying to ruin this country, but I'm guessing the have a "reason".

I absolutely do blame the GOP. Absolutely. The Republican Party is ideologically bankrupt. The GOP is reduced to nothing more than rabid attack dogs without a single original thought or superior idea in their heads. All they do these days is classify every illegal immigrant as a diseased drug smuggling rapist, and whine about how many golf games Obama plays.

They are nothing but pessimists. They are a unified front of whiny little bitches. I've spent a lifetime observing the Left as a suicide cult, but to see the Right become one is particularly infuriating.

You want to cut spending? Then we need to get fucking serious and stop harping about fake scandals. Yes, that's right. Fake scandals. Stop manufacturing bullshit and start producing solutions.

For instance:

Are we in a World War?

Nope.

There is no justification for that kind of spending on defense. But just try to get a Republican to talk about reducing defense spending to pre-9/11 levels. A handful of jets would pay for all the Lifeline Assistance phones ("Obamaphones" originated by Bush) the idiots would rather whine about.

You know why? Because no one wants to be "that guy". That guy who called for scaling back on defense spending just before the next terrorist incident. We have a Congress and a White House chock full of cowards.

You think someone with good ideas is going to come from the Left? I don't. They will have to come from the Right. But the Right is too busy obsessing over man-on-man butt sex these days.

We also need to raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages. We are living decades longer than our ancestors, it is sheer insanity we are defending a retirement age that is identical to theirs. The percentage of seniors in our entitlement load is literally more than double what it was when we started Social Security. We are rapidly approaching triple the load.

We need some leadership. We need leaders with balls. We need real conservatives who are the smartest people in the room, not some demented devolved demagogues appealing to the lowest common denominator. It is way past time to take out the trash.

So, yeah. You're damn right I blame the Right. These fucking faux conservative bigoted retards we are saddled with today have completely pissed away their legacy.

You know what the GOP is turning into? It is turning into the Deep South Democratic Party of 60 years ago. All focused on mongrel races and shit.

Not kidding.

Chris Christie isn't a leader?

You know, I found it interesting that the new talking point by the Administration is one in which they simply ask the Congress to do their job.

Secretary Lew was all lover the Sunday talk shows today about this, and even FoxNews dropped the ball on the question that needed to be asked.

If Congress passes a bill on job creation, they have done their job. Are you saying that they have to pass legislation that you agree with to have done their "job?"

Why is it that journalist can't do their job?

I think Republicans are doing their job. The one they started under Bush. Bankrupt the country and get as many Americans killed or maimed as possible. Move the wealth of the nation to the top 1% and drive business overseas.

Course, I'm not sure why the are trying to ruin this country, but I'm guessing the have a "reason".
More mindless partisan bigotry. Good to see that some things never change.

For instance:

Are we in a World War?

Nope.

Not kidding.

A purely partisan hack and a purely partisan attack.
Reminds me of.....OH YES, a lefty rabid attack dog!!!!

If you think Barry is a leader you are an even bigger idiot than I thought.

The republicans should move a few hundred billions that we spent on the wars to infrastructure, science and tech. It's time to invest in the United states if you wish for our economy to recover! Stop talking...

That'd be great if the money actually went to where it was suppose to go.

Where'd that $800B stimulus money go? No one really knows!

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Casting House Republicans as stubborn deadbeats, President Barack Obama sought Thursday to discredit House Republicans in upcoming fiscal fights by painting them as roadblocks to a thriving middle class.

Uh huh. And which party was it that blocked the GOP's Balanced Budget amendment during the first fiscal fight? I'll give everyone a hint: It wasn't the Republican party.

Forum List

Back