Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil

From Holder's letter:
For example, the president could conceivably have no choice but to authorize the military to use such force if necessary to protect the homeland in the circumstances like a catastrophic attack like the ones suffered on December 7, 1941, and September 11, 2001.
Nothing in there about drone strikes against Americans.

Sorry. I know you so wanted that to be in there.

From Holder's letter.

As members of this administration have previously indicated, the US government has not carried out drone strikes in the United States and has no intention of doing so. As a policy matter moreover, we reject the use of military force where well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat. We have a long history of using the criminal justice system to incapacitate individuals located in our country who pose a threat to the United States and its interests abroad. Hundreds of individuals have been arrested and convicted of terrorism-related offenses in our federal courts.

I guess you were wrong about it not mentioning drone strikes. In fact, it specifically says that, although they have no intention of doing so, it would be legal if they did.

"The US Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Rand Paul has a drone fetish.

And he's an idiot.

Holder ruled out Paul's question as stupid. As if the AG of the United States did not know he can't kill Americans without a trial, which was the premise behind Paul's question.

Holder then had to explain to the fool examples when lethal military force might actually needed inside the US, as a contrast to the lunacy suggested by Paul.

Paul then confabulated the contrast with his retarded question and made the idiotic statement above.

That's a nice rationalization. "Well he deflected and refused to answer the question because it was just so dumb, not because he actually believes he does have that very controversial power."

Yeah, right.

So let's say a bad guy is shooting up a school and the police show up and blow him away. Will you be whining, "Who needs due process anyways?"

You are making some illogical leaps.

So let's say a guy is living in his cabin in the U.S. He's blown up by a drone strike. The President swears he was plotting some 9/11 like catastrophe, but can't provide any evidence on the basis that it would compromise national security. You going to support the President?

While I would really like to help you out with your masturbatory fantasy, there is absolutely nothing in the article or Holder's letter which even approaches this scenario.

I suggest you read the letter before you make yourself look even dumber.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/NEWS/A_U.S. news/US-news-PDFs/BrennanHolderResponse.pdf

"The US Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Rand Paul has a drone fetish.

And he's an idiot.

Holder ruled out Paul's question as stupid. As if the AG of the United States did not know he can't kill Americans without a trial, which was the premise behind Paul's question.

Holder then had to explain to the fool examples when lethal military force might actually needed inside the US, as a contrast to the lunacy suggested by Paul.

Paul then confabulated the contrast with his retarded question and made the idiotic statement above.

And yet Obama ordered the murder of an unarmed teenager that had no HISTORY of violence. All without ever accusing him of a single crime.

Presidents have always had this power to enforce the laws of the United States. Washington was the first president to use armed might in the Whiskey Rebellion and since then various presidents have also used their constitutional obligation of enforcing the laws. Hoover used the same power on the bonus veterans leaving four dead and over a thousand injured. Think of Kent State.

Presidents have always had this power to enforce the laws of the United States. Washington was the first president to use armed might in the Whiskey Rebellion and since then various presidents have also used their constitutional obligation of enforcing the laws. Hoover used the same power on the bonus veterans leaving four dead and over a thousand injured. Think of Kent State.

I have to think of Kent State everyday. Regardless, Kent State is not at all the same thing.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday.

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the president can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on US soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil | Mother Jones

Who needs due process anyways?

They are correct. The precedent was established in the Civil War. If someone is killing Americans, and threatoning many more, and cannot be taken out in any other manner, the drones are perfectly legal. I do not see this ever happening, but under extreme circumstances, it would be justified. In fact, were the President not to order the strike under certain circumstances, the 'Conservatives' would be the first to condemn the President.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday.

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the president can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on US soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil | Mother Jones

Who needs due process anyways?

I have to say that if a person is an intimate threat then any means to neutralize that threat, other then the use of the military, it should be used. BUT, I don't see how a person can be identified from 60000 feet up and I am not sure there is sniper capabilities on the drones. I keep hearing that said but I read up a little bit on them and I didn't see that mentioned. Although they could.

The whole issue is over how they are used not if they can be used. Taking out a group of people or a car with a Hellfire is a whole lot different then using them for surveillance.

A place that the predators could have been put to good use was Benghazi.

The whole predator thing just seems so 1984.

Jeebus. 2 pages of G5000 making an absolute fool out of himself and never backs down. Only @ USMB.

"Mr. President. We have a hikjacked airliner full of passengers apparently headed for the Sears Tower in Chicago at 500 mph. We have a drone in place to shoot it down before it can kill anyone on the ground"

"What is your order"?

"Mr. President. We have a hikjacked airliner full of passengers apparently headed for the Sears Tower in Chicago at 500 mph. We have a drone in place to shoot it down before it can kill anyone on the ground"

"What is your order"?

Nobody is questioning that.

"What is your order"?

Intimate threat, justifiable.

Son of a Muslim radical we killed last week, no history of violence, no history of spewing propaganda, no intimate threat, no due process, and an American citizen.......Justifiable? Or murder?

We are taking about Al Qaida terrorists.

I agree with Obama on this.

Forum List

Back