Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil

Yeah, actually we are.

All reports say that the 16 year old was not a terrorist.

Reports that I linked to say that some of the vehicles taken out may not have contained whom we thought they did. Informants planting GPS transponders regardless of whom so they could collect their money.

Are you really willing to give the power of life over death to a President such as Nixon??? Really?

"Mr. President. We have a hikjacked airliner full of passengers apparently headed for the Sears Tower in Chicago at 500 mph. We have a drone in place to shoot it down before it can kill anyone on the ground"

"What is your order"?

Intimate threat, justifiable.

Son of a Muslim radical we killed last week, no history of violence, no history of spewing propaganda, no intimate threat, no due process, and an American citizen.......Justifiable? Or murder?

Last week? Link?

We're talking about American citizens within the borders of the United States who have had no trial. Not terrorists.

In the case of an aircraft user as a missile, the Americans are on board. Do you order the plane shot down or not?

This not an applicable scenario either.

Americans were the hijackers then? Would you rather a President not order the strike? I think only under such extreme circumstances would the president, any president, do such a thing. Paul knows this. He's just a glory hound.

In the case of an aircraft user as a missile, the Americans are on board. Do you order the plane shot down or not?

Americans were the hijackers then? Would you rather a President not order the strike? I think only under such extreme circumstances would the president, any president, do such a thing. Paul knows this. He's just a glory hound.

I reject your hijackers premise out of hand. It has nothing to do with the question Rand is asking.

I reject your hijackers premise out of hand. It has nothing to do with the question Rand is asking.

I believe it is possibly one of the "extraordinary circumstances" the AG was referring to.

It is strange as hell here..

Liberals are defending using a Drone to Kill an American Citizen on American Soil if Obama believes that there is an "imminent threat", but they are still against a minute and a half of waterboarding to find out where the bomb is.

Kill 'em first, question later" seems to be their motto.

I believe it is possibly one of the "extraordinary circumstances" the AG was referring to.

The Attorney General's deflections, however, are irrelevant. The relevant question is the one posed by Rand, not the one's the Attorney General deigned to create out of thin air and then answer.

Ah the teaparty. Paul asks the CiA if they're planning drone strikes on americans in america. Brennan responds with the not exactlty earth shaking answer, that Paul apparantly missed while stoned in college, the CIA is not legally allowed to undertake domestic operations, and his question would be more appropriately addressed by the DOJ ... which, not shockingly, overseas the FBI.

Holder says, if we are certain an american is attemtign to attack other americans, we'll kill him if we can't arrest him.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT U GUYS, BUT i'M SHOCKED.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday.

"The US Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the president can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on US soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil | Mother Jones

Who needs due process anyways?

The folks that died in the Whiskey Rebellion and the Civil War didn't get any.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday.

"The US Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the president can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on US soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil | Mother Jones

The folks that died in the Whiskey Rebellion and the Civil War didn't get any.

More examples that aren't applicable to Rand's question.

Do you believe that the government could not have used lethal force against Timothy McVeigh, in that truck, on his way to the federal building,

had they known its contents and his intent?

Do you believe that the government could not have used lethal force against Timothy McVeigh, in that truck, on his way to the federal building,

Another example that doesn't apply to Rand's question.

Were they not all "extraordinary circumstance" example of when a President could use lethal force against American citizens on US soil? So the question has been answered. Rand is just grandstanding.

Were they not all "extraordinary circumstance" example of when a President could use lethal force against American citizens on US soil? So the question has been answered. Rand is just grandstanding.

No, it hasn't, because the question is not in regards to so-called extraordinary circumstances.

No, it hasn't, because the question is not in regards to so-called extraordinary circumstances.

Of course it does. The answer is no, unless some extraordinary circumstance arises, like the ones pointed out by the good folks here.

Being as the discussion started by Holder stating that using a drone against Americans would be legal, if not used by the military. I think that is what he said if not then correct me. So I actually agree. But only if there is an intimate threat or due process before or after. The problem with some of the liberal arguments is that they are getting way off base. First of all the cruising speed of a Reaper is about 483 Km/hr and Jumbo jet is 885 Km/hr so your scenario is off from the beginning. Not impossible because a Hellfire is about Mock 1.3 but not probable.

Can I play too? Should we have used the predator against Rodman when he went to visit with our enemy in North Korea??? After all Rodman did spew some anti-American rhetoric.

"Mr. President. We have a hikjacked airliner full of passengers apparently headed for the Sears Tower in Chicago at 500 mph. We have a drone in place to shoot it down before it can kill anyone on the ground"

"What is your order"?

Intimate threat, justifiable.

Son of a Muslim radical we killed last week, no history of violence, no history of spewing propaganda, no intimate threat, no due process, and an American citizen.......Justifiable? Or murder?

Last week? Link?

It wasn't last week, if I gave that impression then I am sorry. But none the less he was killed by missile.

Families of U.S. citizens killed in drone strike file wrongful death lawsuit

Forum List

Back