Obama Caves to Senate on Iran Deal

That's Awesome, Chief Sitting Couch.

So now all the other countries will just cut their own deals with Iran and leave us out of it.

This is a good thing, how?
What? That's stupid, even for you. Do you imagine other countries will sign bogus deals to lift sanctions and we'll be left behind with our sanctions regime? Or what?

If the P5+1 make a deal with Iran, and we refuse to honor it, are you under the impression that the other 5 countries would just blindly follow us?
Yeah pretty much. Without US support any deal doesnt mean a whole lot.
But those countries wont make a deal. Hell, France was warning us about a deal with Iran. France.

Of course it does.

They don't need our permission to lift their sanctions against Iran.

News reports say Kerry argued against it up until 1PM, when the committee finally convinced him to surrender to them too.:badgrin:

That's Awesome, Chief Sitting Couch.

So now all the other countries will just cut their own deals with Iran and leave us out of it.

This is a good thing, how?
What? That's stupid, even for you. Do you imagine other countries will sign bogus deals to lift sanctions and we'll be left behind with our sanctions regime? Or what?

If the P5+1 make a deal with Iran, and we refuse to honor it, are you under the impression that the other 5 countries would just blindly follow us?
Quack

We're not "following" them, we're negotiating alongside them. Any "deal" will be negotiated by all, including us.

I'm sorry, but you were the one who used the term "follow" in this context. So what happens if we stop negotiating "alongside" them? Shouldn't that send a strong message to the other 4+1 nations that Iran shouldn't be trusted at the negotiating table? Haven't they already demonstrated their untrustworthiness to the major world powers by now?

If Congress decided to ignore the negotiations and deal that we took part in, why would that impact the other members of the talks?

Congress is well within its rights to ignore the negotiations. And there was no "we" involved. Just Obama and his subordinate, John Kerry. There is no "I" in "we." Obama had every intention of bypassing Congress and running to the UN.

As for the impact, see the the previous response.

Last edited:
But it's likely to have no impact on whether a deal is made.

Naw, lets not sugarcoat it. This means Congress has reasserted its power under the advice and consent clause.

Congress gets a final say on any deal reached between him and Iran. If there is a deal reached between now and June 30, Congress can't move against it or try to stop it. It appears to me that after June 30, Congress has 30 days to review and/or amend the deal. If there is no deal reached by June 30, that only strengthens Congress' hand as it would prove Obama's incompetence at the negotiating table.

The path to any deal with Iran runs through both houses of Congress.

We're not "following" them, we're negotiating alongside them. Any "deal" will be negotiated by all, including us.

I'm sorry, but you were the one who used the term "follow" in this context. So what happens if we stop negotiating "alongside" them? Shouldn't that send a strong message to the other 4+1 nations that Iran shouldn't be trusted at the negotiating table? Haven't they already demonstrated their untrustworthiness to the major world powers by now?

But we're not going to stop negotiating. It's just not going to happen, no matter how much you want us to. We're already at the negotiating table. And no - Iran has not "demonstrated their untrustworthiness" to the major powers.

Let me try to explain the timeline to you. Right now, the P5+1 countries are negotiating with Iran. Congress won't have "a say" until after the negotiators arrive at a deal that appeals to all the parties negotiating.

If Congress decided to ignore the negotiations and deal that we took part in, why would that impact the other members of the talks?

Congress is well within its rights to ignore the negotiations. And there was no "we" involved. Just Obama and his subordinate, John Kerry. There is no "I" in "we."

Congress can "ignore" whatever it wants, but as we all learn as young children, ignoring something doesn't make it go away.

As for my use of "we", that's how it works. The President officially represents "us" in foreign policy negotiations. It's in his job description.

But we're not going to stop negotiating. It's just not going to happen, no matter how much you want us to. We're already at the negotiating table. And no - Iran has not "demonstrated their untrustworthiness" to the major powers.

Let me try to explain the timeline to you. Right now, the P5+1 countries are negotiating with Iran. Congress won't have "a say" until after the negotiators arrive at a deal that appeals to all the parties negotiating.

Congress is well within its rights to ignore the negotiations. And there was no "we" involved. Just Obama and his subordinate, John Kerry. There is no "I" in "we."

Congress can "ignore" whatever it wants, but as we all learn as young children, ignoring something doesn't make it go away.

As for my use of "we", that's how it works. The President officially represents "us" in foreign policy negotiations. It's in his job description.
quack quack quack

But it's likely to have no impact on whether a deal is made.

Naw, lets not sugarcoat it. This means Congress has reasserted its power under the advice and consent clause.

Congress gets a final say on any deal reached between him and Iran. If there is a deal reached between now and June 30, Congress can't move against it or try to stop it. It appears to me that after June 30, Congress has 30 days to review and/or amend the deal. If there is no deal reached by June 30, that only strengthens Congress' hand as it would prove Obama's incompetence at the negotiating table.

The path to any deal with Iran runs through both houses of Congress.

Not quite. If the deal is presented to Congress by July 9th, they will have 30 days to vote up or down on it - they will not be able to amend it. If they vote down, Obama can (and will) veto that down vote. If it is presented to Congress after that date, they'll have 60 days for the vote, with the same effect.

And the bill Congress is about to pass has nothing to do with the "advise and consent clause".

There is a veto proof majority so obumble is forced to obey the law for the first time. The other negotiating nations of China and France have already accused obama of acting as an agent of Tehran so he bollixed up the whole thing from the beginning.

Forum List

Back