Obama Ditches Thatcher Funeral

It didn't take long for you to provide proof you're a concerete thinker. Miss the point and jump in with a non sequitur.

I pointed out I would have been fighting on the other side of this discussion had someone posted in that manner. Truth is, I would have. I don't give a rats ass who would have started a thread like that, right or left, either would have been WRONG.

Concrete enough!

I piss off as many on the far right as I do the far left.

My point had nothing to do with Obama and his choice to go or not to go; my point was boedicca is a petty, petulant partisan hack; one of those right wingers who hate him irrationally and will criticize everything he says and does.

I have had two Presidents that I enjoyed being led by in my lifetime. Reagan and, believe it or not, Clinton. Not a big fan of Obama, that is true, but neither was I a fan of GWB.

Yet another tacky, unstatesmanlike performance from The Won. Neither he nor any active member of his administration will attend Thatcher's funeral. It's a state occasion, given that the Queen is participating. So much for our "special relationship".

Maybe he'll send the family an ipod with some of his speeches as a consolation prize.

I'll also note that the terrorist attack in Benghazi didn't prevent Obama from flying off to Las Vegas for a fundraiser the next day.

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle. However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person.

President Obama paid tribute to Lady Thatcher's towering achievements when her death was announced last week.

But a US embassy spokesman confirmed that no serving member of his administration would be present to pay their last respects, citing a busy week in US domestic politics.

Former US vice president Dick Cheney and ex-secretary of state Henry Kissinger will attend the funeral, Downing Street said today...

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

If The President who you so hate were to go to England in the aftermath of the Boston Bombing you would have started a thread condemning his action. You're a petulant, petty partisans hack, nothing more.

Your psychological condition is known as Projection.

Get help.

Seriously? A very weak ad hominem, one mindful of PoliticalChic. I posted a fact, anyone who chooses to look back at your 'work' here will quickly conclude 1) you're a partisan hack; 2) you hate (not disagree with for cause) The current President of the United States; and 3) your comments are thoughtless (never thought provoking), lack substance and are echos plagiarized from the right wing media.

Yet another tacky, unstatesmanlike performance from The Won. Neither he nor any active member of his administration will attend Thatcher's funeral. It's a state occasion, given that the Queen is participating. So much for our "special relationship".

Maybe he'll send the family an ipod with some of his speeches as a consolation prize.

I'll also note that the terrorist attack in Benghazi didn't prevent Obama from flying off to Las Vegas for a fundraiser the next day.

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle. However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person.

President Obama paid tribute to Lady Thatcher's towering achievements when her death was announced last week.

But a US embassy spokesman confirmed that no serving member of his administration would be present to pay their last respects, citing a busy week in US domestic politics.

Former US vice president Dick Cheney and ex-secretary of state Henry Kissinger will attend the funeral, Downing Street said today...

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

If The President who you so hate were to go to England in the aftermath of the Boston Bombing you would have started a thread condemning his action. You're a petulant, petty partisans hack, nothing more.

Your psychological condition is known as Projection.

Get help.

Seriously? A very weak ad hominem, one mindful of PoliticalChic. I posted a fact, anyone who chooses to look back at your 'work' here will quickly conclude 1) you're a partisan hack; 2) you hate (not disagree with for cause) The current President of the United States; and 3) your comments are thoughtless (never thought provoking), lack substance and are mostly echos plagiarized from the right wing media.

I pointed out I would have been fighting on the other side of this discussion had someone posted in that manner. Truth is, I would have. I don't give a rats ass who would have started a thread like that, right or left, either would have been WRONG.

Concrete enough!

I piss off as many on the far right as I do the far left.

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

Meaning?

yea i wanna see what you have to say too Synth.....there are a lot of people in this forum who are considered big "Libturds" as they like to say.... who have a lot of rep....you being one of them.....so is Sallow and RW....Wry is called that.....yet you guys all have some good Rep points.....i think the people who are in the Red or real low are people who are not held in high regards by both sides.....so they get very little positive Rep.....

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

Meaning?

yea i wanna see what you have to say too Synth.....there are a lot of people in this forum who are considered big "Libturds" as they like to say.... who have a lot of rep....you being one of them.....so is Sallow and RW....Wry is called that.....yet you guys all have some good Rep points.....i think the people who are in the Red or real low are people who are not held in high regards by both sides.....so they get very little positive Rep.....

So that what that means. Guess I'm doin my job then!

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

This move was classless and deliberate.

One more time. Obama had informed Thatcher's funeral planners that he was unable to attend BEFORE the bombing.

The snub is not Obama not attending. The snub was that Obama did not send a representative from his current Administration.

Exactly, you can change the Name from Obama, to Bush, to Clinton, does not change the basic truth of the situation. The United States of America's administration, the current administration, should have a good sized, important set of representatives at the funeral of such an historic political figure. Period.

rep means that someone agrees with your post and it adds their rep number to yours and for every 1000 points you go up one digit or if they don't then you get Half of their rep number subtracted from yours.....i think they should have both categories going, one for positive rep and one for negative Rep....

rep means that someone agrees with your post and it adds their rep number to yours and for every 1000 points you go up one digit or if they don't then you get Half of their rep number subtracted from yours.....i think they should have both categories going, one for positive rep and one for negative Rep....

Thanks HD, never had a real grasp of the whole rep thing, didn't really care to be honest. Kind of a beauty pagent thing, and no, I would never win one of those either.

So I got a neg rep (not complaining, it's a badge of honor), and a positive rep on the same post. Looks like I came out ahead!

Indeed it was. Thatcher promoted liberty and free markets - two things Obama opposes and is intent on destroying.

Thanks HD, never had a real grasp of the whole rep thing, didn't really care to be honest. Kind of a beauty pagent thing, and no, I would never win one of those either.

So I got a neg rep (not complaining, it's a badge of honor), and a positive rep on the same post. Looks like I came out ahead!
If you've got a problem, may as well take it out in the open. I find it difficult to concern myself with reps, positive or negative. I "thank" occasionally or confront instead. To each his own I guess.

If you've got a problem, may as well take it out in the open. I find it difficult to concern myself with reps, positive or negative. I "thank" occasionally or confront instead. To each his own I guess.

Agreed.
I never give neg rep. Even when someone neg reps me, I respond with a poss rep just to show 'em how little I care about that game.

There's no snub. It actually makes a little sense. Our official reps are Baker and Shultz, who Obama asked to go. Britian and Argentina are lighting up the issue of the Falklands/Maldives once again. The brits claim is based upon conquest and military occupation. Of course, that would lead to some issues of our own territory. And, obviously, the Falklands are part of Thatcher's legacy. The senate is not going to approve anything regarding Thatcher that references that war, and possibly not support of the Pershing Missles in europe ... perhaps because missle defense is still a issue today.

Even when Reagan was potus, there were questions of exactly why we supported Britain's claim over Argentiana, but Reagan had Maggie's back.

How the U.S. Almost Betrayed Britain in the Falklands War - WSJ.com

Obama's essentially honoring the historical legacy with explicitly not commenting upon any still current issue that any action the US takes could be considered supporting or not supporting.

There's no snub. It actually makes a little sense. Our official reps are Baker and Shultz, who Obama asked to go. Britian and Argentina are lighting up the issue of the Falklands/Maldives once again. The brits claim is based upon conquest and military occupation. Of course, that would lead to some issues of our own territory. And, obviously, the Falklands are part of Thatcher's legacy. The senate is not going to approve anything regarding Thatcher that references that war, and possibly not support of the Pershing Missles in europe ... perhaps because missle defense is still a issue today.

Even when Reagan was potus, there were questions of exactly why we supported Britain's claim over Argentiana, but Reagan had Maggie's back.

Obama's essentially honoring the historical legacy with explicitly not commenting upon any still current issue that any action the US takes could be considered supporting or not supporting.

What nonsense that this wasn't a snub!

President Obama and the First Lady were invited. Obama refused to attend. No one complained about that.

The snub came when he refused to send any high ranking official in his administration to the funeral of Baroness Thatcher.

It was purposeful, blatant, deliberate and beyond tacky. So low class.

The Thatcher family was distressed that Obama sent no one of any ranking from the President's administration. And said so to the Brit papers.

They knew it was a snub.

The funeral planners were shocked at this as well. And expressed their dismay. And they knew it was a snub.

This was an " invitation only " funeral.

It was harder to get an invitation to Thatcher's funeral than to get an invitation to a Royal wedding.

Obama looks classless and undiplomatic and that's putting it nicely.

Her funeral was the first political funeral that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip had attended since Winston Churchill's funeral.

And despite Obama's snub, it was grand.

Last edited:
The standard protocol would be for the Vice President to attend if the President cannot.

Biden should have been scheduled to go.

it was a blatant snub to Brit's claim to the Malvinas.

The Falklands funeral: how Margaret Thatcher's military legacy was reflected | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Obama sent the two most important remainging members of the Reagan administrations. Kirchner tried to get the Pope involved last month. There's no freaking way the US needs to be involved in Brit uber nationalism. Argentina's ambassador isn't even going. I think one may be able to tell what Obama thinks of Brit's claim to the territory.

it was a blatant snub to Brit's claim to the Malvinas.

The Falklands funeral: how Margaret Thatcher's military legacy was reflected | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Obama sent the two most important remainging members of the Reagan administrations. Kirchner tried to get the Pope involved last month. There's no freaking way the US needs to be involved in Brit uber nationalism. Argentina's ambassador isn't even going. I think one may be able to tell what Obama thinks of Brit's claim to the territory.

^^^^^^^^

Epic fail at deflection. Troll post.

Friends and foes alike from all political spectrums were invited. Even Gorbachev an arch enemy at one time was invited to attend.

Because of poor health, he sadly couldn't.

It doesn't matter what Obama's opinion is of the issue of the Falklands. Britain has been a fabulous ally of the United States for eons.

This was a State funeral of epic importance. World leaders attended. Royalty attended. To pay their respects.

If this is the reason that Obama snubbed Britain's Lady Thatcher's State funeral by pulling a petulant stunt like this over the Falklands then he truly shows a dire lack of diplomacy; shows he's devoid of any proper decorum; shows he is no statesman.

It only proves he's a low class political hack from Chicago.

Last edited:

What nonsense that this wasn't a snub!

President Obama and the First Lady were invited. Obama refused to attend. No one complained about that.

The snub came when he refused to send any high ranking official in his administration to the funeral of Baroness Thatcher.

It was purposeful, blatant, deliberate and beyond tacky. So low class.

The Thatcher family was distressed that Obama sent no one of any ranking from the President's administration. And said so to the Brit papers.

They knew it was a snub.

The funeral planners were shocked at this as well. And expressed their dismay. And they knew it was a snub.

This was an " invitation only " funeral.

It was harder to get an invitation to Thatcher's funeral than to get an invitation to a Royal wedding.

Obama looks classless and undiplomatic and that's putting it nicely.

Her funeral was the first political funeral that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip had attended since Winston Churchill's funeral.

And despite Obama's snub, it was grand.

WHO is snubbing Thatcher???

Margaret Thatcher's funeral is not an official state occasion

Obama won't attend Thatcher funeral. But neither will former presidents Clinton and both Bushes.

It appears that protocol has a lot to do with the absence of big names from the US attendee list. Margaret Thatcher's funeral is not an official state occasion, despite the military trappings and the presence of her majesty, the Queen. So technically, although they've all been invited, US presidents, as former and present heads of state, would be attending representing themselves and not the nation.

Forum List

Back