Obama Ditches Thatcher Funeral

Yet another tacky, unstatesmanlike performance from The Won. Neither he nor any active member of his administration will attend Thatcher's funeral. It's a state occasion, given that the Queen is participating. So much for our "special relationship".

Maybe he'll send the family an ipod with some of his speeches as a consolation prize.

I'll also note that the terrorist attack in Benghazi didn't prevent Obama from flying off to Las Vegas for a fundraiser the next day.

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle. However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person.

President Obama paid tribute to Lady Thatcher's towering achievements when her death was announced last week.

But a US embassy spokesman confirmed that no serving member of his administration would be present to pay their last respects, citing a busy week in US domestic politics.

Former US vice president Dick Cheney and ex-secretary of state Henry Kissinger will attend the funeral, Downing Street said today...

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

If The President who you so hate were to go to England in the aftermath of the Boston Bombing you would have started a thread condemning his action. You're a petulant, petty partisans hack, nothing more.

And if he did start such a thread I would have been on your side. Damn, the President, the most powerful man in the world has had plenty of time to put a staff together that can handle something like this on their own, keeping him abreast of the situation from anywhere in the world. Air Force one has a command post within it.

That being said, he could have still sent Biden or any number of other high ranking officials to attend.

That didn't happen.

Edited to add: everything else is simply excuses

Last edited:
Obama was not expected to attend the funeral at any given point in time. The disgusting snub is that he refused to send anyone in the current administration.

And he shows himself to the world what a little prick he is. What a scumbucket and embarrassment to America.

White House snub to Thatcher: Obama won't send envoy to funeral - and leaves it to her old allies from the Reagan era

That's probably who she would've wanted in attendance in the first place. But as far as most real conservatives are concerned, the biggest tragedy aside from Thatcher's death is that Nancy Reagan's too frail to attend. Lady Thatcher would've liked that more than anything.

A complete restructuring of a failing economy for starters. Then she went on to help change the world b bringing an end to the Cold War and seeing to the disingration of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union. Like it or not, she is a towering figure of the 20th century, Bleating about it is not going to change that.

The soviets did themselves in...she, like Ronnie, was merely in the right place at the right time.

Try again.

We kinda helped them by making them spend themselfs into the poor house.

Ronnie and Mrs. Thatcher had a pretty big part in that.

Now go back to sleep, reality sometimes is hard to take.

REALITY? You mean while we spent ourselves into the poor house? When did massive debt become part of the American economy?

Reagan switched the federal government from what he critically called, a “tax and spend” policy, to a “borrow and spend” policy, where the government continued its heavy spending, but used borrowed money instead of tax revenue to pay the bills. The results were catastrophic. Although it had taken the United States more than 200 years to accumulate the first $1 trillion of national debt, it took only five years under Reagan to add the second one trillion dollars to the debt. By the end of the 12 years of the Reagan-Bush administrations, the national debt had quadrupled to $4 trillion!

national%20debt.jpg

And where was all this angst and concern about debt from conservatives when Bush and Republicans controlled the White House and both houses of Congress for almost a decade??? When Bush was starting a 3 trillion dollar war of ideology in Iraq, there was not a fucking PEEP from you right wingers, just cheers and 'bring 'em on'... And where was this less government mantra? You right wingers LOVED BIG government and government intervention into people lives... the Patriot Act, trashing habeas corpus, the Geneva Conventions and the US War Crimes Act.

Yet another tacky, unstatesmanlike performance from The Won. Neither he nor any active member of his administration will attend Thatcher's funeral. It's a state occasion, given that the Queen is participating. So much for our "special relationship".

Maybe he'll send the family an ipod with some of his speeches as a consolation prize.

I'll also note that the terrorist attack in Benghazi didn't prevent Obama from flying off to Las Vegas for a fundraiser the next day.

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed 'surprise and disappointment' last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the US delegation at tomorrow's service in St Paul's Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle. However, the Obama administration had said it would not be attending Thatcher's funeral before the Boston bombings

Other world leaders, including Canada's Stephen Harper, Mario Monti of Italy and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, are attending the service in person.

President Obama paid tribute to Lady Thatcher's towering achievements when her death was announced last week.

But a US embassy spokesman confirmed that no serving member of his administration would be present to pay their last respects, citing a busy week in US domestic politics.

Former US vice president Dick Cheney and ex-secretary of state Henry Kissinger will attend the funeral, Downing Street said today...

Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

I never expected he would. One of the first things he did after gaining access to the oval office was to send Churchills bust back to England. - Jeri
Liar. Debunked years ago.

A complete restructuring of a failing economy for starters. Then she went on to help change the world b bringing an end to the Cold War and seeing to the disingration of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union. Like it or not, she is a towering figure of the 20th century, Bleating about it is not going to change that.

The soviets did themselves in...she, like Ronnie, was merely in the right place at the right time.

Try again.

I know that's what you nutters enjoy believing, but the reality of the situation is that they had an unsustainable economic system. I will give you that Ronnie way overspent on defense during his term. To the long term detriment of the country.

If The President who you so hate were to go to England in the aftermath of the Boston Bombing you would have started a thread condemning his action. You're a petulant, petty partisans hack, nothing more.

And if he did start such a thread I would have been on your side. Damn, the President, the most powerful man in the world has had plenty of time to put a staff together that can handle something like this on their own, keeping him abreast of the situation from anywhere in the world. Air Force one has a command post within it.

That being said, he could have still sent Biden or any number of other high ranking officials to attend.

That didn't happen.

It didn't take long for you to provide proof you're a concerete thinker. Miss the point and jump in with a non sequitur.

I wouldnt expect him to go, but this is an event the VP position was designed for. Just ship Biden to it.

An honorable President would go but there is nothing honorable about Mr. Obama. He is a serial liar. Imo.

-Jeremiah
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I'm sure Obama will cry when he reads that.

Maybe you could talk Dubya into going.
Yeah - why isn't Dubya there?

He doesn't need to be sent by Obama, or need anyone's permission.

So, what would keep the only able-bodied Republican ex-POTUS from attending?

It's either disrespect, or the fear of being arrested and sent to the Hague.

Try again.

I know that's what you nutters enjoy believing, but the reality of the situation is that they had an unsustainable economic system. I will give you that Ronnie way overspent on defense during his term. To the long term detriment of the country.

And when was the last time your kids had a nuclear bomb drill in their school?

Some investments actually do pay off.

Now let's talk about those shovel ready jobs. I know a guy looking for a job.

An honorable President would go but there is nothing honorable about Mr. Obama. He is a serial liar. Imo.

-Jeremiah

Maybe he just doesn't want to show up the sitting POTUS?

Sign of respect? Novel concept I know.

I never expected he would. One of the first things he did after gaining access to the oval office was to send Churchills bust back to England. - Jeri

You have got to be fucking kidding me. That meme has been debunked every which way from sundown. here...Let me google that for you

I just went through this the other day with another mental midget on this site:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...rself-to-margaret-thatcher-3.html#post7064877http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...rself-to-margaret-thatcher-6.html#post7066611

Last edited:

Maybe he just doesn't want to show up the sitting POTUS?

Sign of respect? Novel concept I know.
How would that show up anybody?

That didn't happen.

It didn't take long for you to provide proof you're a concerete thinker. Miss the point and jump in with a non sequitur.

I pointed out I would have been fighting on the other side of this discussion had someone posted in that manner. Truth is, I would have. I don't give a rats ass who would have started a thread like that, right or left, either would have been WRONG.

Concrete enough!

I piss off as many on the far right as I do the far left.

That didn't happen.

I pointed out I would have been fighting on the other side of this discussion had someone posted in that manner. Truth is, I would have. I don't give a rats ass who would have started a thread like that, right or left, either would have been WRONG.

Concrete enough!

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

That didn't happen.

Concrete enough!

My point had nothing to do with Obama and his choice to go or not to go; my point was boedicca is a petty, petulant partisan hack; one of those right wingers who hate him irrationally and will criticize everything he says and does.

Concrete enough!

Yet, you're not in the red, so this is untrue.

Meaning?

Forum List

Back