Obama greeted by Confederate flags in Oklahoma

So no. And I bet your parents didn't shut it down to keep you from being exposed to that vile symbol.

A piece of cloth is all it is. Go take a look at one. Just cloth. And perhaps, just a thought now, you might want to give a moment of thought as to why they are adamantly in favor of it rather than just assume that they are in favor of what you are opposed to. Consider that it might not mean to them what it means to you. And.... just for grins and giggles, the other folks might do the same.

Nah.. much more fun to be offended.

They reject the idea that there can be any other viewpoint than their own.

Yep. Both sides. You can't tell who the players are without a program.

Nope. I have not told that they cannot have their own opinion of the flag and what it means.

They dismiss ours, I do not dismiss theirs.

You don't? You are aware and accepting of the fact that this flag is a symbol of hate and causes fear in many people? Is that the case?

I am aware that YOU think of it as a symbol of hate, and that you believe that is cause fear in many people.

On the other hand, you dismiss the stated claims of those who fly the flag, ie that it is a symbol of regional pride and heritage.

You see the difference here?

Are you aware that LOTS OF PEOPLE,..not me....feel that way....afraid....when they see the flag? Millions of Americans see it as a symbol of hatred. Are you willing to accept that fact?

Correll.....

You are skipping over some questions. Why is that?

I thought I was replying to each and every post of yours.

I noticed that you did not reply to my response to what I would do if I discovered that blacks did feel fear at seeing the confederate flag.

They reject the idea that there can be any other viewpoint than their own.

Nope. I have not told that they cannot have their own opinion of the flag and what it means.

You don't? You are aware and accepting of the fact that this flag is a symbol of hate and causes fear in many people? Is that the case?

I am aware that YOU think of it as a symbol of hate, and that you believe that is cause fear in many people.

On the other hand, you dismiss the stated claims of those who fly the flag, ie that it is a symbol of regional pride and heritage.

Are you aware that LOTS OF PEOPLE,..not me....feel that way when they see the flag? Millions of Americans.

You did not answer my question.

Do you see the difference?

Are you aware that LOTS OF PEOPLE,..not me....feel that way when they see the flag? Millions of Americans.

I don't dismiss those claims. I believe that you believe it.

YOu asked me earlier what percentage of people I think fly the confederate flag to express their racism.

I told you. I told of the one person that I met who did that.

You told me I was lying.

What percentage do you believe fly the flag to express racism?

That wasn't a reply. That was a distraction. Some weird story? Fuck.....just answer the question.

You don't care, it seems. Is that right?

I gave my answer. Here, I will give it again. Read it to the end.

If you can't see the relevance to the point, I cannot help you.

I recall a long time ago.

A good friend of mine, a young woman was complaining about another young woman, a very hot rival of hers at a local theater company they both were part of.

The rival, a very hot blond was from the South and sometimes wore a very tight pair of pants with a confederate flag on the one pocket.

My friend opined that this girl was going to get her ass kicked by local blacks.

I didn't say anything at the time. She was venting.

But I remember thinking.

This chick wears a pair of pants, and hypothetically is beaten, and she is the problem?

Wouldn't a reasonable person consider the violent thugs in question the problem?

Considering the black on white crime vs the white on black crime, if blacks claimed to be afraid, I would tell them to "toughen up".

Correll?

Are you going to concede that millions of Americans view that flag as a symbol of hatred and division?

Are you going to concede that tens of millions of Americans view that flag as a harmless symbol of regional pride?

Do you believe that JOhn McCain ran a racist campaign?

YOu asked me earlier what percentage of people I think fly the confederate flag to express their racism.

You told me I was lying.

Most people who fly that flag understand that...for millions of Americans... it is a symbol of division and causes people to feel fear and hatred. Those who still fly it knowing this ought to expect that their motives are going to be questioned.

I'd put the number of people who fly that flag as a "fuck you" to racial harmony and equality at a solid 99%.....excluding kids.....who possibly don't know better.

Correll?

Are you going to concede that millions of Americans view that flag as a symbol of hatred and division?

Are you going to concede that tens of millions of Americans view that flag as a harmless symbol of regional pride?

I believe that tens of millions of people view that flag IN PART as a harmless symbol of regional pride.....because that is what they have been taught from birth.

But..... when they fly it knowing that millions see it as a symbol of hatred....they are flying it for another reason altogether.

Sweet, huh?

That wasn't a reply. That was a distraction. Some weird story? Fuck.....just answer the question.

A good friend of mine, a young woman was complaining about another young woman, a very hot rival of hers at a local theater company they both were part of.

The rival, a very hot blond was from the South and sometimes wore a very tight pair of pants with a confederate flag on the one pocket.

My friend opined that this girl was going to get her ass kicked by local blacks.

But I remember thinking.

This chick wears a pair of pants, and hypothetically is beaten, and she is the problem?

Wouldn't a reasonable person consider the violent thugs in question the problem?

Considering the black on white crime vs the white on black crime, if blacks claimed to be afraid, I would tell them to "toughen up".

That was bullshit.

You told me I was lying.

Most people who fly that flag understand that...for millions of Americans... it is a symbol of division and causes people to feel fear and hatred. Those who still fly it knowing this ought to expect that their motives are going to be questioned.

I'd put the number of people who fly that flag as a "fuck you" to racial harmony and equality at a solid 99%.....excluding kids.....who possibly don't know better.

And thus, for the vast majority of those that fly that flag, and those that support them, you are dismissing their stated reasons and instead insisting on your own made up reasons, AND demanding public policy based on your made up stuff.

You have dismissed their stated reasons.

See the difference?

You are the problem here, not me.

Correll?

I believe that tens of millions of people view that flag IN PART as a harmless symbol of regional pride.....because that is what they have been taught from birth.

But..... when they fly it knowing that millions see it as a symbol of hatred....they are flying it for another reason altogether.

Sweet, huh?

Not really.

Tens of millions are not some minor number who's views don't count.

I concede that there a lot of liberals who have convinced themselves that the flag is a symbol of racism and hatred.

I just don't see why their view should trump the rights of those that actually want to fly it to celebrate their regional pride.

But I remember thinking.

That was bullshit.

That was very vague.

What was bullshit?

DId you not like the related anecdote? Do you not believe my final answer?

Do you think I was being insulting, when I said I would tell them to "toughen up"?

Correll?

Sweet, huh?

Not really.

Tens of millions are not some minor number who's views don't count.

I concede that there a lot of liberals who have convinced themselves that the flag is a symbol of racism and hatred.

I just don't see why their view should trump the rights of those that actually want to fly it to celebrate their regional pride.
In modern times the confederate flag was returned to public spaces to protest the granting of civil rights of black people.

We southerners know this.

Forum List

Back