Obama omits 'under god' in ken burns Gettysburg address

I heard clips of Limbaugh condemning Obama for this "omission". When is the last time anyone saw Rush in a church?

And Lincoln was an atheist anyway.

No, he wasn't.

Religious Quotations by Abraham Lincoln

"That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures"

"Certainly there is no contending against the Will of God"

"God gave man a mouth to receive bread, hands to feed it, and his hand has a right to carry bread to his mouth without controversy."

"I turn, then, and look to the American people and to that God who has never forsaken them."

Looks like it was a lifetime journey for him.

Abraham Lincoln and religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abraham Lincoln's religious beliefs are a matter of debate. Lincoln grew up in a highly religious family, but never joined any church. As a young man he was a skeptic. He frequently referenced God and quoted the Bible; he attended Protestant church services with his wife and children, and after the deaths of two children became more intensely concerned with God's plan for mankind.[1] He was private about his beliefs and respected the beliefs of others. Lincoln never made a clear profession of standard Christian beliefs; he did believe in an all-powerful God that shaped events and, by 1865, was expressing those beliefs in major speeches.[2]

No, he wasn't.

"That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures"

"God gave man a mouth to receive bread, hands to feed it, and his hand has a right to carry bread to his mouth without controversy."

"I turn, then, and look to the American people and to that God who has never forsaken them."

You're going to plant your flag on some random quotes? Really?

"I don't smoke crack" ---Rob Ford

I rest my case.

No, he wasn't.

You're going to plant your flag on some random quotes? Really?.

You mean the man's own words? Yeah, really.

Nobody knows what Lincoln's exact spoken words were. All the stenographers of the day wrote something a bit different, and all of Lincoln's 5 drafts are a little different.

The Nicolay copy is Lincoln's speaking copy. It does not contain "under God", but it's assumed Lincoln made that an impromptu addition, as the newspapers all report that phrase.

The Bliss copy, penned later by Lincoln, is now called the "official" copy. Wanting to improve it a bit, Lincoln made some other minor changes in the Bliss copy that weren't in the spoken speech.

So, if someone is declaring that only the official Bliss copy version can be cited, they are not using the same words Lincoln recited. That makes such people raging dishonest hypocrites, for _not_ using Lincoln's actual spoken words, then screaming how everyone else has to use Lincoln's actual spoken words. Which nobody actually knows.

Again, we don't have the spoken words of Lincoln. We have 5 drafts by Lincoln, all a little different, and some newspaper accounts of the speech, all a little different. So, if someone is going to go insane with hatred over one draft, they ought to direct their insanity at the writer, Lincoln, instead of someone simply reading Lincoln's draft.

Anyways, every ODS crank on this thread did yet another of their patented face plants into a cow patty here. Same old same old. They blindly parroted all the lies because they wanted so badly to hate, and they end up looking like flaming 'tards again. So what will they do about it? Like so many battered spouses, ODSers will dutifully run back to their abusers and beg for more abuse. They'll get told what lies to tell everyone, and they'll run back here to bleat them out. That's why most people now correctly assume that if an ODSer's lips are moving, he's lying.

And we don't know which version Obama was reading from or had memorized.

rw's wil hate this but the FACT is, Obama was asked to read that particular version of the Gettysburg Address, known as The Nicolay Version.

Home | Learn the Address

Scroll down to the third line of photos. Second square over states that very clearly. Click on it.

Gettysburg Visitor Center

Here is the Nicolay Version, in its entirety -

Nicolay Copy
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that “all men are created equal.”

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle field of that war. We come to dedicate a portion of it, as a final resting place for those who died here, that the nation might live. This we may, in all propriety do.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate – we can not consecrate – we can not hallow, this ground – The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can never forget what they did here.

It is rather for us, the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us – that, from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here, gave the last full measure of devotion – that we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain; that the nation, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

How many rw haters have the courage, the balls, the integrity to ADMIT they were wrong and that their ultra right wing scum source lied to them.

Well?

No, he wasn't.

See Rob Ford's own words. The ones you excised.
Yeah, really.

See also "I did not have sex with that woman"... "I'm not a crook"... the well is bottomless.

Yeah really.

Yeah, really.

See also "I did not have sex with that woman"... "I'm not a crook"... the well is bottomless.

Yeah really.

I have supported my position, but you have failed to even try to support your assertion. Pretty obvious why.

I heard clips of Limbaugh condemning Obama for this "omission". When is the last time anyone saw Rush in a church?

:eusa_eh:

What does that have to do with Obama omitting God from the Gettysburg address?

If you want to talk about Rush's church attendance, perhaps you should start a thread about that.

Yeah, really.

Yeah really.

I have supported my position, but you have failed to even try to support your assertion. Pretty obvious why.

Because it's not worth my time. Other fish to fry. Consider yourself lucky I ever read your posts at all.

No doubt about it. If Obama missed the word, "god", when reciting a speech, that is definate cause for empeachment!

How I miss Bush, whose tangled syntax was so bizarre that it was impossible to understand what he was saying at all...

See, poopo's doing it again.

Skirting the topic, posting irrelevancies, then proclaiming himeself the victor.

"
ped·ant·ry

noun, plural ped·ant·ries. 1. the character, qualities, practices, etc., of a pedant, especially undue display of learning. "

Pedantry | Define Pedantry at Dictionary.com

"I was often, when a boy, wonderfully concerned to see, in the Italian farces, a pedant always brought in for the fool of the play..."
http://essays.quotidiana.org/montaigne/pedantry/

Except he doesn't even quite rise to the level of fool. At least a traditional pedant has some knowledge...useless, and irrelevant, but it's there.

This loon doesn't even have that much knowledge. It's like he's an incompetent pedant.

Last edited:

:eusa_eh:

What does that have to do with Obama omitting God from the Gettysburg address?

If you want to talk about Rush's church attendance, perhaps you should start a thread about that.

President Obama did not choose to omit the word "god" from his recitation. He was specifically asked to recite the Nicolay Version which does not include that world.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...n-burns-gettysburg-address-6.html#post8179677

Interesting that the OP's lying site does not allow comments so people just keep believing the lie that Obama omitted the word "god".

Forum List

Back