Obama says US must shift cars, trucks off of oil

He wants cars that ignore the laws of physics? Has he ever heard of friction? Does he want us to start killing sperm whales and use them to make grease for the various parts of the car that rub against each other.

And I'm sure back in the days of the steam engine you would have laughed at the idea of an engine running without hot water.

Who knows what future manufcaturers will use to power cars - but it could well be a synthetic oil, or something which doesn't need to be replaced every couple of months. It could also be something with far less friction.

Yet no one was expected or required to give up a substantial percentage of their income for this to happen. That is what is being demanded now and it's wrong. Not only short term, but the long term doesn't look that great either. See all the energy waste in the past term.

Annie -

Who is being asked to give up a "substantial percentage" of their income for this to happen?

As I mentioned ealier, the CERN reactor in Swtizerland is one example of a government-funded science project. I don't pretend to know what it is doing, but I have heard that hundreds of products and patents come out of the place every year. I also know US scientists pay to have access to it for their own research.

If CERN were to come up with a new form of electricity production and a patent for it - I suspect that might be worth the $5 in taxes I paid into it.

Can you provide some real world examples?

Well, who just discovered the "god particle"?

I'll give you a clue - it was not the US.

Could that be because the government cut funding for the Superconducting Super Collider?

Very possibly, yes.

Sometimes a project is just too big for any one company, or even a consortium to put together. In this case it took a half dozen governments to put it together!

He wants cars that ignore the laws of physics? Has he ever heard of friction? Does he want us to start killing sperm whales and use them to make grease for the various parts of the car that rub against each other.

And I'm sure back in the days of the steam engine you would have laughed at the idea of an engine running without hot water.

Who knows what future manufcaturers will use to power cars - but it could well be a synthetic oil, or something which doesn't need to be replaced every couple of months. It could also be something with far less friction.

Newsflash, I know people that own cars that can drive from coast to cast without using gasoline. They have existed for decades, and run on propane of CNG. What I am laughing at is the idea that any car can go coast to coast without oil and grease to lubricate the moving parts.

Care to back up and try again now that you have shown the entire word how stupid you are?

Lakota when it comes to science...I'll agree with you. Reserach and development is one of the modern day things the government does a half way good job on.

I thought you believed in the Constitution, so much for that.

Governments through history had a huge part in the advancement of science. So you don't think we should push science towards the betterment of this nation?

Roman empire, Britain, Spain, France, China, India, Japan, etc all have had histories of the government advancing techonology.

The US advanced nuclear tech with the manhatten project, Rail road, etc.

I'm sure our founders would of added in such if the consitution was writen a 100 years later. Hell, I don't know why they didn't. These men were rightfully so scared of the government they missed a important part of history.

Well, who just discovered the "god particle"?

I'll give you a clue - it was not the US.

Could that be because the government cut funding for the Superconducting Super Collider?

Very possibly, yes.

Sometimes a project is just too big for any one company, or even a consortium to put together. In this case it took a half dozen governments to put it together!

Just because Europe has always used force to control science does not mean the United States has to do the same thing. Gates could fund the SSC by himself, the real problem is the government wouldn't let him.

Newsflash, I know people that own cars that can drive from coast to cast without using gasoline. They have existed for decades, and run on propane of CNG. What I am laughing at is the idea that any car can go coast to coast without oil and grease to lubricate the moving parts.

Care to back up and try again now that you have shown the entire word how stupid you are?

Wow, you really are defensive about this, aren't you?!

To repeat my point - surely it is possible that scientists could invent a synthetic oil, or one that could be recycled more effectively, or one that needed to be changed less frequently?

Closed-mindedness is not a friend of science. I don't see what is stupid about being open to the idea of a replacement or a reduced need for oil in future.

Last edited:
Lakota when it comes to science...I'll agree with you. Reserach and development is one of the modern day things the government does a half way good job on.

I thought you believed in the Constitution, so much for that.

Governments through history had a huge part in the advancement of science. So you don't think we should push science towards the betterment of this nation?

Roman empire, Britain, Spain, France, China, India, Japan, etc all have had histories of the government advancing techonology.

The US advanced nuclear tech with the manhatten project, Rail road, etc.

I'm sure our founders would of added in such if the consitution was writen a 100 years later. Hell, I don't know why they didn't. These men were rightfully so scared of the government they missed a important part of history.

Yet the government ignores the Constitution which is explicit on the subject, I guess no one bothered to read Article 5. The other countries you mentioned aren't bound by our Constitution, so what they do is their business. BTW the Manhattan project was authorized under the Constitution because it was defense related. But you can't claim to support the Constitution and then agree with ignoring it.

Funding Basic Science Research. Most research on basic scientific topics – in physics, biology, chemistry, etc. – does not have immediate commercial applications and so this work is highly dependent on government funding. Federal funds pay for 80% of the basic science research in this country, through laboratory facilities in universities and in government agencies such as the National Institutes for Health. For this reason, the government deserves a great deal of credit for the important scientific and technological breakthroughs produced by these efforts. In just one area – biomedical science – basic research has provided the foundation to develop new diagnostic technologies, such as nuclear magnetic resonance machines, and new treatments for cancer, diabetes, and many other diseases. It is revealing that nearly half of the most important medical treatments in the field of cardiovascular-pulmonary medicine have their origins in basic research attempting to unravel the mysteries of the lungs, heart, and muscles – work done by scientists not working in this specific disease area.9 Beyond such practical payoffs, government-funded basic research has also made important progress in answering many of the most profound questions that have baffled humanity for centuries: What is the nature of matter and energy – and the nature of reality itself? How did the universe begin? How will it end? Are we alone in the universe? What is the nature of life – and how did it begin? The achievements of basic science in the United States have been many and stunning – and these are achievements of government as well.

More: Government is Good - The Forgotten Achievements of Government

Funding Basic Science Research. Most research on basic scientific topics – in physics, biology, chemistry, etc. – does not have immediate commercial applications and so this work is highly dependent on government funding. Federal funds pay for 80% of the basic science research in this country, through laboratory facilities in universities and in government agencies such as the National Institutes for Health. For this reason, the government deserves a great deal of credit for the important scientific and technological breakthroughs produced by these efforts. In just one area – biomedical science – basic research has provided the foundation to develop new diagnostic technologies, such as nuclear magnetic resonance machines, and new treatments for cancer, diabetes, and many other diseases. It is revealing that nearly half of the most important medical treatments in the field of cardiovascular-pulmonary medicine have their origins in basic research attempting to unravel the mysteries of the lungs, heart, and muscles – work done by scientists not working in this specific disease area.9 Beyond such practical payoffs, government-funded basic research has also made important progress in answering many of the most profound questions that have baffled humanity for centuries: What is the nature of matter and energy – and the nature of reality itself? How did the universe begin? How will it end? Are we alone in the universe? What is the nature of life – and how did it begin? The achievements of basic science in the United States have been many and stunning – and these are achievements of government as well.

Then you have all those necessary studies like how to reduce the alcohol intake of Chinese hookers while their on the job or studies of Brazilian frog farts. And we are forced to pay for that shit.

The Forgotten Achievements of Government

Although conservatives portray government as incompetent, public sector programs have actually amassed an admirable record of success in a wide variety of policy areas.

One of the most persistent myths about American government is that it has a poor record of achievement. Conservatives and libertarians have constantly promoted the idea that government fails more often than it succeeds. They have been telling Americans for years that government is an incompetent institution that has achieved little of real value in society. As one conservative critic put it: “The more important question is not why government is so big … but why with few exceptions, it fails in even its simplest tasks.”1 Another critic, Charles Murray, puts it even more bluntly: “The reality of daily life is that, by and large, the things the government does tend to be ugly, rude, slovenly – and not to work.”2 Or consider the bold challenge uttered by Rush Limbaugh on one of his radio shows: “With the exception of the military, I defy you to name one government program that has worked and alleviated the problem it was created to solve. Hhhmmmmmmm? I'm waiting. . . . Time's up.”3

But how accurate is this popular image of the government as a bumbling fool? Actually, this is largely a stereotype – one based primarily on myth and selective anecdotal evidence. Of course anyone can cite a number of failed government policies – such as the war on drugs or public housing programs. But it is wrong to leap from this kind of anecdotal evidence to the conclusion that government as a whole is inherently incompetent. The reality is this: most government programs are successful most of the time. By and large, the public sector does a good job providing clean water to drink, keeping the peace, sending out Social Security checks, reducing workplace injuries, ensuring aircraft safety, feeding the hungry, putting out fires, protecting consumers, and so on.

Much More: Government is Good - The Forgotten Achievements of Government

The Forgotten Achievements of Government

Although conservatives portray government as incompetent, public sector programs have actually amassed an admirable record of success in a wide variety of policy areas.

One of the most persistent myths about American government is that it has a poor record of achievement. Conservatives and libertarians have constantly promoted the idea that government fails more often than it succeeds. They have been telling Americans for years that government is an incompetent institution that has achieved little of real value in society. As one conservative critic put it: “The more important question is not why government is so big … but why with few exceptions, it fails in even its simplest tasks.”1 Another critic, Charles Murray, puts it even more bluntly: “The reality of daily life is that, by and large, the things the government does tend to be ugly, rude, slovenly – and not to work.”2 Or consider the bold challenge uttered by Rush Limbaugh on one of his radio shows: “With the exception of the military, I defy you to name one government program that has worked and alleviated the problem it was created to solve. Hhhmmmmmmm? I'm waiting. . . . Time's up.”3

But how accurate is this popular image of the government as a bumbling fool? Actually, this is largely a stereotype – one based primarily on myth and selective anecdotal evidence. Of course anyone can cite a number of failed government policies – such as the war on drugs or public housing programs. But it is wrong to leap from this kind of anecdotal evidence to the conclusion that government as a whole is inherently incompetent. The reality is this: most government programs are successful most of the time. By and large, the public sector does a good job providing clean water to drink, keeping the peace, sending out Social Security checks, reducing workplace injuries, ensuring aircraft safety, feeding the hungry, putting out fires, protecting consumers, and so on.

Much More: Government is Good - The Forgotten Achievements of Government

Wow! How many links to that site, without any commentary I've seen. Unbiased? Hardly, though that claim is not made.

Then you have all those necessary studies like how to reduce the alcohol intake of Chinese hookers while their on the job or studies of Brazilian frog farts. And we are forced to pay for that shit.

We are all forced to pay for "shit" we don't like. Religion is my biggest gripe. Foreign aid comes second.

We are all forced to pay for "shit" we don't like. Religion is my biggest gripe. Foreign aid comes second.

You don't pay for religion, don't you use charitable deductions, I agree with you on foreign aid unless it is required by treaty and we get something tangible in return.

Let's get back on the subject of the thread.

Forum List

Back