Obama Superpac Runs "Romney Killed My Wife" Ad

Sorry, but there's no stretch of the imagination that makes anything said in that ad factual. That company wouldn't have even been on Bain's radar if they weren't already in trouble, and they spent YEARS trying to get it back off the ground while people like Joe Soptic were picketing out front for their union's right to be paid double-time while sleeping on the job. Blaming Mitt Romney for his misfortunes and bad choices doesn't make it all Romney's fault.

You know what, I've worked in union shops, and I've never seen anyone sleeping on the job.

But frankly, I have an easier time with paying someone double time for working on a holiday than I do paying someone 8 figures to sit in a corner office and make bad decisions...

If GS Steel went under, it was because Bain managed it badly. Because the union actually gave in to a lot of the demands they made to reduce pay and benefits.

Sorry, but there's no stretch of the imagination that makes anything said in that ad factual. That company wouldn't have even been on Bain's radar if they weren't already in trouble, and they spent YEARS trying to get it back off the ground while people like Joe Soptic were picketing out front for their union's right to be paid double-time while sleeping on the job. Blaming Mitt Romney for his misfortunes and bad choices doesn't make it all Romney's fault.

You know what, I've worked in union shops, and I've never seen anyone sleeping on the job.

But frankly, I have an easier time with paying someone double time for working on a holiday than I do paying someone 8 figures to sit in a corner office and make bad decisions...

If GS Steel went under, it was because Bain managed it badly. Because the union actually gave in to a lot of the demands they made to reduce pay and benefits.

Here's one guy with a bird's eye view:
I nearly choked on my Cheerios when I read that GST employees were blaming Bain for their downfall. I worked at GST Steel in Kansas City for four months in 1997 immediately after leaving the Navy.

Why only four months? Quickly after I started, I surprised to learn that several of my fellow USW Local 13-represented employees, mostly millwrights and electricians, we’re making between $100-130k. This was mainly due union-mandated overtime which, at least on a few occasions, consisted of the employees bringing in sleeping bags and pillows and sleeping in the shop. It would be hard for any company to stay competitive while paying double-time union wages to get their beauty sleep, but that’s not the half of it. The union employees obviously didn’t think they had it easy enough, so they went on strike in March of ‘97. The plant shut down for a couple of weeks until it re-started under the operation of management and non-union workers. The strike lasted a couple more months. I had a family to support, so I couldn’t afford to wait. I took another (non-union) job with another company. They shuttered the plant for good a few years later.

That’s Bain’s fault? Just classic.

Cont....FAIL: Obama Ad Attacks Romney for Bain Bought Company That Laid People Off? But Romney DIDN’T Work There Then! &laquo Publius Forum

You can't run a business that way, particularly not when it's already in trouble. By the time Bain picks up a company, they typically can't get any more loans on their own, can't modernize or do what needs to be done in order to regain health. Clearly, the union fought against the necessary changes... and lost.

I nearly choked on my Cheerios when I read that GST employees were blaming Bain for their downfall. I worked at GST Steel in Kansas City for four months in 1997 immediately after leaving the Navy.

Why only four months? Quickly after I started, I surprised to learn that several of my fellow USW Local 13-represented employees, mostly millwrights and electricians, we’re making between $100-130k. This was mainly due union-mandated overtime which, at least on a few occasions, consisted of the employees bringing in sleeping bags and pillows and sleeping in the shop. It would be hard for any company to stay competitive while paying double-time union wages to get their beauty sleep, but that’s not the half of it. The union employees obviously didn’t think they had it easy enough, so they went on strike in March of ‘97. The plant shut down for a couple of weeks until it re-started under the operation of management and non-union workers. The strike lasted a couple more months. I had a family to support, so I couldn’t afford to wait. I took another (non-union) job with another company. They shuttered the plant for good a few years later.

You can't run a business that way, particularly not when it's already in trouble. By the time Bain picks up a company, they typically can't get any more loans on their own, can't modernize or do what needs to be done in order to regain health. Clearly, the union fought against the necessary changes... and lost.

Here's the thing with that. GS Steel had been in business for 105 years when Bain took control of it.

But this guy is saying after 4 years of brilliant Bain Management, they still had guys doing sleepovers at double time? Really?

Wait, I thought the Bain folks were really brilliant super-geniuses. And Mitt (who actually was still at Bain in 1997, the Olympics excuse is for just the bad stuff happening).

THis was a typical Bain takeover deal. They invested 8 million, got majority shareholders control, issued 125 million in new bonds, and paid Bain a 36 million dollar dividend. They then merged it with another company, leaving it with 378 million in debt.

The 1997 strike was because Bain wasn't setting aside enough money to cover the pension fund while looting it. Not because they weren't getting nappy time.

By 2000, the company was 500 million in debt.

Again, two very good articles on the subject.

Special report: Romney's steel skeleton in the Bain closet | Reuters

Romney's Bain made millions as S.C. steelmaker went bankrupt | McClatchy

NOw, yeah, those are mostly facts and figures... but it isn't a pretty picture.

Here's the thing with that. GS Steel had been in business for 105 years when Bain took control of it.

But this guy is saying after 4 years of brilliant Bain Management, they still had guys doing sleepovers at double time? Really?

Wait, I thought the Bain folks were really brilliant super-geniuses. And Mitt (who actually was still at Bain in 1997, the Olympics excuse is for just the bad stuff happening).

THis was a typical Bain takeover deal. They invested 8 million, got majority shareholders control, issued 125 million in new bonds, and paid Bain a 36 million dollar dividend. They then merged it with another company, leaving it with 378 million in debt.

The 1997 strike was because Bain wasn't setting aside enough money to cover the pension fund while looting it. Not because they weren't getting nappy time.

Bain isn't a social service. Steel plants went down left and right at that time. This company was given a last chance at survival, and instead of getting on board, they chose to play union games. It's hard to feel sorry for people who just refuse to deal with reality. Nobody is guaranteed a job. Certainly, they aren't guaranteed health care in perpetuity after they've lost that job. You point out this company was in business for 105 years... how had they gotten into the kind of trouble which put them on Bain's radar to begin with?

This is Bill Burton.....the same asshole that released the "Romney Killed My Wife" ad.

Here he is spending over 6 mins denying that Obama is going to redistribute wealth after he said he would "spread the wealth" to Joe the Plumber.

He was lying then and he's lying now.

Megyn Kelly Loses It - YouTube
Back and forth, back and forth, but what are we learning from it all or what have we learned from it all ?

We shall soon see come November, and hopefully the people will do the right thing, even though it may be again found that we will have to vote for the lesser of the two evils according to their deeds, in that we are sometimes highly skeptical of, and yet will be sadly voted for even so.

Bain isn't a social service. Steel plants went down left and right at that time. This company was given a last chance at survival, and instead of getting on board, they chose to play union games. It's hard to feel sorry for people who just refuse to deal with reality. Nobody is guaranteed a job. Certainly, they aren't guaranteed health care in perpetuity after they've lost that job. You point out this company was in business for 105 years... how had they gotten into the kind of trouble which put them on Bain's radar to begin with?
Exactly, how about the specifics of the case, instead of these for political accusations that are being made in hopes to defeat a canidate who is running against another canidate? That's what I say about this stuff, but don't you know that they release such idiotic stuff as close as they can to an election, figuring that no one will have the time to investigate thoroughly the claim or accustaion in it's entirety,a and this by the time the election is over, and that is all they want when do this sort of thing.

People need to see this for what it is, and mark it as a bad move by Obama and crew upon this chess game that is being played now.

You know, this is really getting borderline on blaming a rape victim for dressing too sluttily.

"Why how dare those unions guys strike after they put the company 500 Million in the hole while paying themselves huge bonuses."

The issue of the strike was that Bain wasn't funding the pension funds. And the Federal government ended up picking up a 44 million dollar tab.

The Kansas City, Mo., plant felt the brunt of Bain Capital's cuts, according to news reports, with one state legislator accusing the venture capital firm of union-busting during a 1997 strike - the company's first in nearly 40 years - that lasted 10 weeks. A key sticking point in that strike was job security and pension benefits for workers who suspected that Bain Capital was trying to cut operating costs for a quick sale.

Read more here: Romney's Bain made millions as S.C. steelmaker went bankrupt | McClatchy

But, hey, they're just working people. Fuck 'em.

Romney needs a new Dressage Horsie.

You know, this is really getting borderline on blaming a rape victim for dressing too sluttily.

"Why how dare those unions guys strike after they put the company 500 Million in the hole while paying themselves huge bonuses."

The issue of the strike was that Bain wasn't funding the pension funds. And the Federal government ended up picking up a 44 million dollar tab.

The Kansas City, Mo., plant felt the brunt of Bain Capital's cuts, according to news reports, with one state legislator accusing the venture capital firm of union-busting during a 1997 strike - the company's first in nearly 40 years - that lasted 10 weeks. A key sticking point in that strike was job security and pension benefits for workers who suspected that Bain Capital was trying to cut operating costs for a quick sale.

Read more here: Romney's Bain made millions as S.C. steelmaker went bankrupt | McClatchy

Oh for pete's sake, Joe. This guy is no "victim". He's a disgruntled union guy who's pissed off at the world because he lost his job and is blaming a guy who had nothing to do with it. He practically accused Mitt Romney of killing his wife, and he did that for political purposes without a shred of evidence. There's not a goddamn thing honorable or noble about that. In fact, it's a disgusting smear and if anybody is a "victim" in this story... it's Mitt Romney.

Why are people such pussies? When capital moves around some people profit, others die. Life is not a feel good liberal utopia where everyone wins.

The best kind of Union to be found in society, is a great economy that has great jobs all around galore for all.

Otherwise if one does not like working for an idiot who is greedy and wrong headed at a specific company, then he and his co-workers once could go to work at another company in a heart beat, for whom would have been way better of an employer than the one being worked for in the area.

This inturn would always put huge pressure on the bad company, thus forcing them by competition to do better when it comes to all in order to keep up or it would fold eventually, giving way for another good company to come in quickly (do good) and take it's place.

This can only happen again, if capitalism is allowed to burst into full speed, thus providing opportunities and competition that forces bad ideologies and companies to conform, and this all due to the competition that would exist again around them, instead of this holding up bad CEO's and bad companies by government force, government subsidizing and/or by union force.

This type of system creates slavery in the end, because government will not intevene on the employee's behalf (seen to many times these days), and especially once the competition has been shut down around them (don't want to up the un-employment rates right?), and ultimately the union will bust the company, (also seen to many times these days) sending it into bankruptcy and such where there was no longer any competition. Now all because of a company operating with no competition anymore, the union will always ask for or want to much, as it would see it as vulnerable in this state of existance (thinking that it will have to capitulate always to its commands due to no competition as it would then stand firmly as an issue), and this is where the owners will shut down eventually, instead of giving in (i.e. taking their golden parachutes and gliding off into the sunset if they have to).

The government of this nation should only be encouraging capitalism, and then getting as many companies as they can up and running again, then this will be the savior of this society and it's economy again, and not corporate communism or slavery as it is becoming today, where people have no where to go, and thus some companies will know that they are vulnerable with no where to go, and will begin the downward spiral of their benefits, pay and etc. but will also increase their work loads and etc. (one man working 3 mens job, but for the same low ball money) in order to compensate for the loss of competition around them, in which increased the work loads to the inth degree all because of, and then encouraged corporate slavery and government control all because of.

What a terrible mess this nation is in, and Obama does not have the right answers, but rather he has all the wrong answers in dealing with this stuff, but are they the wrong answers he has (or) is it that he also is taking advantage now of the vulnerabilities found in it all, that have been created due to the loss of competition and companies in our society over the years, making us all more vulnerable to being controlled more so than ever before now ? What was it that Rahm Emanual said (never let a good crisis go to waste Mr. Obama), and so there is your answer to what this administration is thinking, and what they are about, now make your choice, but make it good.

We can't all live in Massachusetts, Mitt.

Luckily, now we won't have to.

yeah, now luckily others will get to pay for your health care...must make you proud to be a Obama supporter

Others were already paying for it, Genius. What's different, is now the system will level out and premiums won't sky-rocket as fast as they've been, because people who *could* afford it but were sitting on their hands - then getting catastrophically sick and having other Americans foot the bill - will now be pulling their own weight, and at the same time - the needy that couldn't afford it before but were still not denied, are in the same basic predicament.

But I'm sure you've read, studied and understand the entire 2, 000+ page Law to be able to comment on it and make a fair assessment.

And before you quote Nancy Pelosi, most of our Congressmen have advisers who read and study the bills presented to them for a vote, and make a recommendation. That's what they're employed to do.

Yeah; I don't know who the conservatives think pays for the emergency rooms at the county hospitals. Acute care costs astronomically more than preventative care. Anything that puts more people in front of doctors is a good thing. That seems self explanatory to most.

There is a correlation between the flattening of wages and the decrease in union power.
I thought union power was the answer, and all to a certain extent possibly, and this once upon a time also due to the situation we are in or have been placed in, but that was not it (even though unions are a good thing to some extent in the nation), it is not the total answer either, but what is the correct answer is simply good ole competition again toward these industries, and also to get more of them up and running soon, in which gives us more options like we always had in abundance of once before or in the past. We had all this once in a thriving economy, and we can have it again if certain people get themselves out of the way or try maybe getting schooled again in order to understand business 101.

We need that thriving economy to return, but first we must change the mindsets back to how we got such a thrving economy to work for us in the past (involving character changes also if need be), then tweak it, modernize it, and then get going once again. All aboard, for this train that to be soon leaving the station once again, and we all need to be on board as such for the betterment of this nation and all of it's old glory.

PS. I'm surprised that everytime team USA won a medal in the olympics, that Obama wasn't running out there to apologize after each event to the world, about us winning and how we were so sorry that we did win... B )

Sarah Palin Levels Harsh 'Prostituting' Charge

The remarks were made in the context of a controversial ad released by the pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA. The spot draws a connection between Romney and a woman's cancer-related death.

Palin accused the media of failing to fully investigate whether there was any coordination between the Obama campaign and the super PAC, accusing members of the press of "prostituting themselves" in their response to the ad.

"They’re basically prostituting themselves for a job, for interviews, for access to the Obama administration and the campaign, and they’re letting this go on, and it is illegal," she said. "It violates the PAC laws. What I would like to see happen is for just one reporter in the mainstream media who knows the truth about this to stand up and do the worthy and ethical thing and let Americans know that there was collaboration and also that this is a far-fetched, despicable ad that misrepresents Gov. Romney's position."

More: Sarah Palin Slams 'Nauseating' Obama Speeches, 'Prostituting' Media (VIDEO)

There is a correlation between the flattening of wages and the decrease in union power.
I thought union power was the answer, and all to a certain extent possibly, and this once upon a time also due to the situation we are in or have been placed in, but that was not it (even though unions are a good thing to some extent in the nation), it is not the total answer either, but what is the correct answer is simply good ole competition again toward these industries, and also to get more of them up and running soon, in which gives us more options like we always had in abundance of once before or in the past. We had all this once in a thriving economy, and we can have it again if certain people get themselves out of the way or try maybe getting schooled again in order to understand business 101.

We need that thriving economy to return, but first we must change the mindsets back to how we got such a thrving economy to work for us in the past (involving character changes also if need be), then tweak it, modernize it, and then get going once again. All aboard, for this train that to be soon leaving the station once again, and we all need to be on board as such for the betterment of this nation and all of it's old glory.

PS. I'm surprised that everytime team USA won a medal in the olympics, that Obama wasn't running out there to apologize after each event to the world, about us winning and how we were so sorry that we did win... B )

The President had it right. When the middle income Americans have more income, they purchase more from the factory owners--the 1% if you will. So Americans stimulate the economy; not the 1%. We've cut taxes on the 1% and we see where the economy is. The Dems want a cut for the other people making sub $250k and it will stimulate the economy (or not).

Don't like facts?

Romney and pals made millions and closed a steel plant. Brilliant.

According to Planet Money, that is what they do; buy into the company then leverage anything not already leveraged with the bank to take out a loan. With the money, they pay themselves back first then take whatever is left and legitimately try to save the company.

It's a Heads-I-Win, Tails-you-lose scenario for Bain.

Forum List

Back