Obama to seek congress approval

unless they are being used on americans, why is it our duty to stop them? If the "entire world" wants Assad punished, then why aren't the blue hatted UN troops doing it?

It is not our role to get in the middle of every civil war in the world. But if you think it is, why didn't we stop the slaughter in Sudan and Congo?

If this is the right wing logic, then why all the obsession with Iran's nuclear program? It hasn't been used on Americans.

Iran has repeatedly threatened to use nuclear weapons on American interests, which makes them getting nuclear weapons a legitimate concern. Syria, on the other hand, has had chemical weapons for years, and never used them against us.

Link? And I will keep pressing you for one, so don't run away. :lol:

Yet, for some reason, you think attacking Syria because someone allegedly used chemical weapons a legitimate exercise of American power.

There is no "allegedly". Syria and Russia have both admitted that chemical weapons have been used in Syria.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says he has decided that the United States should take military action against Syria in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack.

But he says he will seek congressional authorization for the use of force.

He says congressional leadership plans to hold a debate and a vote as soon as Congress comes back in September.

Obama says he has the authority to act on his own, but believes it is important for the country to have a debate.

Military action would be in response to a chemical weapons attack the U.S. says Syrian President Bashar Assad's government carried out against civilians. The U.S. says more than 1,400 Syrians were killed in that attack last week.

That motherfucking TYRANT!!!!!! Impeach the fucking bastard for using the proper channels!

Not surprised, war monger that he is.

Funny how all the wingnuts who clamored for war because Saddam MIGHT have WMDs are now so unsure about war, after Assad actual USES WMDs.

and how many times did he violate UN resolutions ? How many times did he shoot at our planes policing the no fly zone--the gas has been covered.

He was never going to hit out planes - they flew too high and our systems and pilots are too good.

Bush's rationale was WMD. The suspicion that Saddam had them was enough to go to war.

But the evidence that Assad has them isn't?

It is fine for him to shoot because you think the people he is shooting at are good at dodging? Is that really your argument?

Likewise, if there are no penalties or enforcement against chemical weapons attacks, why does it matter if the world condemns it?

When did the US become the world police? Who are we going to arrest? Or is the simple fact that someone used chemical weapons to kill someone mean that we can go kill whoever we want, even if we can't prove they had anything to do with it?

Why do you use my question to not only not answer it, but to ask a bunch of other questions that have nothing to do with the question you are ignoring? :cuckoo:

You want an answer to your question? Feel free to point out how the world condemns the use of chemical weapons. FYI, there are more signatories of the anti landmine treaty, and more worldwide condemnation of the use of mines, than there are the chemical weapons treaty, yet the US not only refuses to sign the treaty, it actually uses landmines. In fact, the US maintains the single largest minefield on the planet.

Given that I am aware of this, and that I work very hard not to be a hypocrite, I don't think the US should be able to condemn one thing and not the other. The fact that you are unaware of the dichotomy, and hypocrisy, on the part of Obama does not mean I am ignoring your question.

Want to answer my questions now? When did the US become the world police? Who are we going to arrest? Or is the simple fact that someone used chemical weapons to kill someone mean that we can go kill whoever we want, even if we can't prove they had anything to do with it?

If this is the right wing logic, then why all the obsession with Iran's nuclear program? It hasn't been used on Americans.

Iran has repeatedly threatened to use nuclear weapons on American interests, which makes them getting nuclear weapons a legitimate concern. Syria, on the other hand, has had chemical weapons for years, and never used them against us.

Iran threatens to hit US targets worldwide in case of war ? RT USA

Care for another go?

Don't you pay attention to anything?

Do you remember Obama talking about red lines and Iran getting close to being able to manufacture a nuke because it is a threat to US national security? Why do you care about him talking about red lines in Syria but not Iran?

Yet, for some reason, you think attacking Syria because someone allegedly used chemical weapons a legitimate exercise of American power.
There is no "allegedly". Syria and Russia have both admitted that chemical weapons have been used in Syria.

I keep forgetting that English is not a language you understand.

The alleged part here is who used it. Since both Syria and Russia say it was the rebels, not the government, you pointing out that they say they were used does not bolster Obama's argument that we need to punish Assad for using them.

"The U.S., Britain, and France as well as the Arab League have accused the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for carrying out the chemical weapons attack, which mainly targeted civilians. U.S. warships are stationed in the Mediterranean Sea to launch military strikes against Syria in punishment for carrying out a massive chemical weapons attack. The U.S. and others are not interested in examining any contrary evidence, with U.S Secretary of State John Kerry*saying*Monday that Assad’s guilt was “a judgment … already clear to the world.”However, from numerous interviews with doctors, Ghouta residents, rebel fighters and their families, a different picture emerges. Many believe that certain rebels received chemical weapons via the Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and were responsible for carrying out the dealing gas attack.“My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of a rebel fighting to unseat Assad, who lives in Ghouta.Abdel-Moneim said his son and 12 other rebels were killed inside of a tunnel used to store weapons provided by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha, who was leading a fighting battalion. The father described the weapons as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.” Syrians in Ghouta Claim Saudi-Supplied Rebels Behind Chemical Attack by Dale Gavlak and Yahya Ababneh -- Antiwar.com

AIPAC in Full Court Press on Syria

by*Eli LakeSep 3, 2013 6:00 pm EDT. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/03/aipac-in-full-court-press-on-syria.html. America’s largest pro-Israel lobby has deployed its organization in Congress to push for the president’s war authorization against Syria, according to a senior official with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) who called the effort a "full court press."

I cannot support any institution that treats women as second-class citizens, is extremely secretive, and is coercive through shaming, ostracizing, and shunning.

You mean like what the Democratic party did to Kathleen Wiley?

Bam! Thanks synthawench! Another dickless little liberal who lashes out with negative rep because you don't have the mental acuity to do it with words.

Postitive rep for you, my bitch, for telling me you are my bitch.

As for your point that you're too stupid to get mine, it's dead on. Like your dick. I just don't get why you'd tell me that. But hey, whatever. My bitch.

Last edited:
Let's just cut through the all the bullshit and assume that it is already proven-as-fact that Bashar Assad and his regime in Syria used chemical weapons against the rebels and nearby civilians - against his own people.

Let's also cut through the bullshit in saying that precedent exists for the US to punish users of chemical weapons, as we saw served-up as the casus belli for attacking Iraq in 2003...

Let's say that is all true...

Such a state of affairs does not mean that we have to attack Syria now...

We can pick and choose our fights...

And we can pick and choose which ones to sit-out, as well...

The vast majority of Americans oppose intervention (according to the most recent polls found in the Washington Post, Drudge Report, and even our little polls here)...

The nation has been at war since 2001...

That is 12 years...

We just wrapped-up one war (Iraq) after 7 years or more in the field...

We're still engaged in another war (Afghanistan) after 12 years in the field...

We've cycled and recycled our Active-Duty and Reserve and Guard units again and again...

Our military is tired... still tough-as-nails but tired...

Our PEOPLE are tired of war... the nation is war-weary...

Our Treasury is empty after floating the cost of wars for a decade or more; we're broke, and robbing Peter to pay Paul, to float the cost of government, and to feed our poor...

There are other countries closer-by with healthy militaries that need some exercise...

Let the Europeans and the Turks and the Arab League handle this one, if they're so friggin' eager to hit Syria...

Let's sit this one out...

This is not about supporting Bush and not supporting Obama, or any related effect...

This is about the nation being fresh and pissed (after 9-11) and ready to get some Payback, in 2001, and even 2003, to kick some ass...

This is about the nation now being war-weary and broke and tired, and in-need of a season of rest and recuperation, and to let the national pocketbook cool-off for a while...

This is about us being ready-and-willing back then, and ready-and-UNwilling today...

Two different times, and two different energy levels, insofar as the National Will is concerned...

When your people are bone-tired, and there is no pressing survival-argument in favor of action, then, The People are entitled to a Season of Rest...

No disrespect or lack of support intended for Fearless Leader, but...

This is the wrong war, at the wrong time...

And the American People - those whom God or Fate has elevated you to lead - are tired, and don't want to play the game, this particular time around...

Let 'em rest... they've earned it...

Stand down...

Last edited:
Let's just cut through the all the bullshit and assume that it is already proven-as-fact that Bashar Assad and his regime in Syria used chemical weapons against the rebels and nearby civilians - against his own people.
It would be very blind and stupid to assume that, not without careful analysis by trustworthy sources (note the plural) -- certainly by analysts other than the US government and its minions, which have a long record of contemptible lying and deceit.

It would be very blind and stupid to assume that, not without careful analysis by trustworthy sources (note the plural) -- certainly by analysts other than the US government and its minions, which have a long record of contemptible lying and deceit.

Merely for purposes of following a particular line of thought...

As evidenced by the phrase "Let's just say all that is true" (translation: 'for the sake of argument' - the way most reasonable folk would see that one)

Merely for purposes of following a particular line of thought...

Namely...

Just because the Syrians HAVE done such a thing, does NOT mean that WE have to intervene...

A device to cut through the middle-range arguments about whether or not Assad DID, indeed, use such weaponry, in order to get past that roadblock, and to argue for NON-intervention even IF that were proven to be true...

It was not intended to be a real-world, real-time declaration that that was the case...

A little less Literalism, and a little more flexibility in our thinking and filters, eh?

Last edited:
The so-called rebels are being supported by the CIA, The Mossad and Saudi Arabia.

Do not understand why folks are forgetting that simple fact.

Because it's not a fact. It's just your unsupported opinion, conspiracy theory stuff.

Let's also cut through the bullshit in saying that precedent exists for the US to punish users of chemical weapons, as we saw served-up as the casus belli for attacking Iraq in 2003...

Let's say that is all true...

Such a state of affairs does not mean that we have to attack Syria now...

We can pick and choose our fights...

And we can pick and choose which ones to sit-out, as well...

The vast majority of Americans (according to the most recent polls found in the Washington Post, Drudge Report, and even our little polls here)...

The nation has been at war since 2001...

That is 12 years...

We just wrapped-up one war (Iraq) after 7 years or more in the field...

We're still engaged in another war (Afghanistan) after 12 years in the field...

We've cycled and recycled our Active-Duty and Reserve and Guard units again and again...

Our military is tired... still tough-as-nails but tired...

Our PEOPLE are tired of war... the nation is war-weary...

Our Treasury is empty after floating the cost of wars for a decade or more; we're broke, and robbing Peter to pay Paul, to float the cost of government, and to feed our poor...

There are other countries closer-by with healthy militaries that need some exercise...

Let the Europeans and the Turks and the Arab League handle this one, if they're so friggin' eager to hit Syria...

This is not about supporting Bush and not supporting Obama, or any related effect...

This is about the nation being fresh and pissed (after 9-11) and ready to get some Payback, in 2001, and even 2003, to kick some ass...

This is about the nation now being war-weary and broke and tired, and in-need of a season of rest and recuperation, and to let the national pocketbook cool-off for a while...

This is about us being ready-and-willing back then, and ready-and-UNwilling today...

Two different times, and two different energy levels, insofar as the National Will is concerned...

When your people are bone-tired, and there is no pressing survival-argument in favor of action, then, The People are entitled to a Season of Rest...

No disrespect or lack of support intended for Fearless Leader, but...

This is the wrong war, at the wrong time...

And the American People - those whom God or Fate has elevated you to lead - are tired, and don't want to play the game, this particular time around...

Let 'em rest... they've earned it...

Stand down...

Thank you. Funny, though, how it's the "peace and love" hippie liberals that are banging the drum for "action" and the majority of conservatives are saying "enough".

Sometimes, you just have to shake your head.......

The American people have STILL been shown no evidence Assad used chemical weapons.

Why in this world does one single American assume Assad carried out this attack with chemical weapons when no evidence has been shown to us that this was true?

Has anyone been watching CNN?

I watched a Congressman ask from Kerrey and Hagel a promise Assad carried this attack out, he said Veterans he had met with wanted him to ask Kerry and others asking for authorization for a military strike against Syria to promise to them Assad in fact used chemical weapons.

Noone would make that promise to that Congressman.

Kerry dodged the question, completely and deliberately avoiding entirely the use, of the word promise. you kept hearing words like the evidence was strong, but we heard no promise. Hagel was worse even. Hagel followed up and simply said he agreed with what Kerry said.

What I think is, Assad did not even carry out the chemical attack, that Kerry and Hagel know this, that this was a false flag operation, that the accusations are being made solely because the US wants an excuse to attack Syria, to weaken the government there, to ultimately topple Assad from power, and to weaken Iran.

And, as always, the US government does whatever that Miltary Industrial complex group of people behind the scenes have decided they want the leaders to do.

I was listening to an interview with Wesley Clark, he was talking about when the war was initiated with Iraq and how he was surprised about why we would attack Iraq, and he saw documents that indicated the US had long term plans way back then to change the regime in 7 countries in the Middle East. Iraq was simply one of those seven. Syria is another one of those seven, I expect, and now the Administration has found an excuse to latch onto, using as always dubious and fabricated and distorted Intelligence, to take further steps to achieve their decades long plan of regime change in Syria.

Pity The Nation, that is what Robert Fisk wrote about Lebanon, but the way we Americans are played as fools, the same is as much true for us.

Sherri

Last edited:

Forum List

Back