Obama ... We Need to Overcome Our Religious Convictions?

What Obama said that outraged conservatives

Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” Obama said. “All of us who welcome today’s news should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom.”

Sometimes there are days like this when that slow and steady effort is rewarded with justice that arrives like a thunderbolt,” Obama said. Although the progress might have seemed slow to gay rights advocates, he added, the nation’s shift on same-sex marriage has been “so quick.”
“But today should also give us hope that on the many issues with which we grapple often painfully real change is possible,” the President continued.
“Shifts in hearts and minds is possible,” he said. “And those who have come so far on their journey to equality have a responsibility to reach back and help others join them. Because for all our differences, we are one people — stronger together than we could ever be alone.”
“That’s always been our story. We are big and vast, and diverse. A nation of people with different backgrounds and beliefs, with different experiences and stories, but bound by our shared ideal that no matter who you are, or what you look like, how you started off, or how and who you love — America’s a place where you can write your own destiny.”
He's back pedaling because that in your face White House display angered about 75% of the country.

What do you find objectionable?

It was well-written. But "shifts in hearts and minds" is possible seems to be implying that we should all be happy about the ruling. But like I said, his speech writer walked the line.....

There has been a huge shift in the hearts and minds of Americans in the last ten years. Why do you think it will not continue?

Even with my support for gay marriage, I'll be damned before I'm told how to practice my faith.
No body is telling you, unlike the religious that tell others how to live theirs constantly...

BAKE THAT DAMN CAKE PEASANT!
baking cakes is not the problem, it's what you want decorated on top that is an issue...

Letting government decide who to punish for their religious convictions is the problem.
So you had no problem with who was punished by the church and state before ??

Even with my support for gay marriage, I'll be damned before I'm told how to practice my faith.
No body is telling you, unlike the religious that tell others how to live theirs constantly...

baking cakes is not the problem, it's what you want decorated on top that is an issue...

Letting government decide who to punish for their religious convictions is the problem.

Since when can Churches in the US "punish" people unless they are members of said church?

I have an issue with the government doing anything without a compelling reason AND constitutional authority.

What do you find objectionable?

It was well-written. But "shifts in hearts and minds" is possible seems to be implying that we should all be happy about the ruling. But like I said, his speech writer walked the line.....

There has been a huge shift in the hearts and minds of Americans in the last ten years. Why do you think it will not continue?

I think it will.. but don't believe it is a good thing.
I see a trend toward decreasing moral values and acceptance of perversion.
Passive aggressive "heavy handedness" and intimidation.
It's working quite well, but it's a recipe for failure - all this has been prophesied in the Bible however.. so, no shock...

Thopusands of years of abuse by the religious against gheys, yet they bitch when ghey get equality on one issue....Talk about the so called religions of love and forgiveness....

Is this telling you how to practice your faith?

Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” Obama said. “All of us who welcome today’s news should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom.”

Roughly 93% of Americans believe in God.

There are 1.7% gays.

Obama is preaching to a very small percentage and it's a big mistake.

He'll be gone in about 16 months and not a moment too soon

all the damage will be done... but like I said, this is all been prophesied. We just have to live through it unfortunately.....

Since when can Churches in the US "punish" people unless they are members of said church?

I have an issue with the government doing anything without a compelling reason AND constitutional authority.
It was done by peer pressure, now try to deny the thousands of years of church repression and censorship that was extolled by the church and the govt's that colluded with the church for control....

What Obama said that outraged conservatives

Sometimes there are days like this when that slow and steady effort is rewarded with justice that arrives like a thunderbolt,” Obama said. Although the progress might have seemed slow to gay rights advocates, he added, the nation’s shift on same-sex marriage has been “so quick.”
“But today should also give us hope that on the many issues with which we grapple often painfully real change is possible,” the President continued.
“Shifts in hearts and minds is possible,” he said. “And those who have come so far on their journey to equality have a responsibility to reach back and help others join them. Because for all our differences, we are one people — stronger together than we could ever be alone.”
“That’s always been our story. We are big and vast, and diverse. A nation of people with different backgrounds and beliefs, with different experiences and stories, but bound by our shared ideal that no matter who you are, or what you look like, how you started off, or how and who you love — America’s a place where you can write your own destiny.”
He's back pedaling because that in your face White House display angered about 75% of the country.

Where did you come up with that number?

Yeah, that is until you read the other half, the part you cut out of the quote. Please. Stop. Now. Don't insult my intelligence any further.

Yeah, that is until you read the other half, the part you cut out of the quote. Please. Stop. Now. Don't insult my intelligence any further.

Please provide the part of the quote you object to

He may as well have not said that. Progressives have NO intention of considering, let alone TOLERATING any talk about God or Jesus. They will try to beat you down with fact, law and logic arguments and tie you up rather than even CONTEMPLATE how you feel, or what you believe.

Roughly 93% of Americans believe in God.

There are 1.7% gays.

Obama is preaching to a very small percentage and it's a big mistake.

Psst: Not all Religious people in the country think the way you do, otherwise there wouldn't be a majority who support gay marriage. So, your cake doesn't cut the way you think it does.

Forum List

Back