Obama's Best Words

Those were real and they were often deep. but we enjoyed the time we shared away from the bright lights and we laughed with each other and we learned from each other and we never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team. For all of our differences, we shared a fidelity to the ideals for which generations of Americans have marched and fought and sacrificed and given their lives.
I see you have a fondness for platitudes. You understand they are functionally meaningless, right?

That is one of the reasons Obama is as insignificant as he is.

That's more like a Zen koan.
I don't know that I found comfort in it. It was a reminder. I wonder how many people heard it?

It was like a Zen koan, as often koans are how we manage thoughts.

For instance, what everyone heard was a politician, with a history as a community organizer, and the reputation of saying the right thing at the right time. If that satisfies the listener, then they are satisfied with words. Whether or not it means something is translated into what it produces in purpose, process and direction.

I don't know that I found comfort in it. It was a reminder. I wonder how many people heard it?

It was like a Zen koan, as often koans are how we manage thoughts.

For instance, what everyone heard was a politician, with a history as a community organizer, and the reputation of saying the right thing at the right time. If that satisfies the listener, then they are satisfied with words. Whether or not it means something is translated into what it produces in purpose, process and direction.
I'd appreciate getting back to the meaning of those words rather than everyone's dissatisfaction with Obama's decisions.

It was an attack on Trump and a patriot doesn't use the term, not my president.

I'd appreciate getting back to the meaning of those words rather than everyone's dissatisfaction with Obama's decisions.

Words mean nothing outside of what they can produce in understanding or purpose. What did the words help you understand? What purpose did they serve? If you ask me, they served their purpose in President Obama honoring Senator McCain, and mean nothing else.

I know there are a lot of threads on the eulogies given at McCain's funeral yesterday, but I don't want this to start out in a thread where the OP is bashing Obama, at least. So I hope you understand me adding one more.

I listened to his whole remarks, and I thought a couple things:

- He kept the Trump bashing to a minimum--and actually the brief sally into "political discourse nowadays" was words that could apply to both sides of the argument.
- From Obama's perspective, McCain was no RINO. lol

And then, my absolute favorite part:

We would talk about policy and we'd talk about family and we'd talk about the state of our politics. And our disagreements didn't go away during these private conversations. Those were real and they were often deep. but we enjoyed the time we shared away from the bright lights and we laughed with each other and we learned from each other and we never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team. For all of our differences, we shared a fidelity to the ideals for which generations of Americans have marched and fought and sacrificed and given their lives.

And that, folks, is what it is supposed to be about. A Democratic Republic is essentially one concept on how the country is structured and led. For all the talk of making America great again, are we missing the "America" part altogether? Although we can disagree on policy or who our favorite leader-to-be is, the idea that we are ultimately in the same boat, keeping our ship in the channel together, is a crucial one.

That's all.

Talk works pretty damn well as long as saying things is what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, it's just talk, but I'm glad you could find comfort in it.

"These people" have managed the country into an impossible mess (everyone should know specifics by now). Now they want to get together and celebrate each other in a televised event? Please. This bozo led a coup' using govt resources-tax dollars to stop DJT.

He and that Iranian snake still lead a "resist" movement to stop any fixes DJT can implement. Up to an including riots in the street (Portland....shut down ICE, BALT, STL.....etc).

The only place for this criminal is the end of a rope. Put that on TV.

I know there are a lot of threads on the eulogies given at McCain's funeral yesterday, but I don't want this to start out in a thread where the OP is bashing Obama, at least. So I hope you understand me adding one more.

- He kept the Trump bashing to a minimum--and actually the brief sally into "political discourse nowadays" was words that could apply to both sides of the argument.

We would talk about policy and we'd talk about family and we'd talk about the state of our politics. And our disagreements didn't go away during these private conversations. Those were real and they were often deep. but we enjoyed the time we shared away from the bright lights and we laughed with each other and we learned from each other and we never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team. For all of our differences, we shared a fidelity to the ideals for which generations of Americans have marched and fought and sacrificed and given their lives.

And that, folks, is what it is supposed to be about. A Democratic Republic is essentially one concept on how the country is structured and led. For all the talk of making America great again, are we missing the "America" part altogether? Although we can disagree on policy or who our favorite leader-to-be is, the idea that we are ultimately in the same boat, keeping our ship in the channel together, is a crucial one.

That's all.

We never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team...even when we used the full weight of the US Intelligence community against Donald J Trump and Juan McCain agreed with us

This is why Juan McCain should be catapulted into the Potomac.

"These people" have managed the country into an impossible mess (everyone should know specifics by now). Now they want to get together and celebrate each other in a televised event? Please. This bozo led a coup' using govt resources-tax dollars to stop DJT.

He and that Iranian snake still lead a "resist" movement to stop any fixes DJT can implement. Up to an including riots in the street (Portland....shut down ICE, BALT, STL.....etc).

How curious a response, considering possible purpose OldLady.

If I were to guess, the words the President expressed that you found favorable, were those of unity and civility. Yet, here is an example of how they served purpose. If words are used to unite a lynching party, that doesn't necessarily validate the lynching party's purpose.

Unity and civility are what most people want to achieve, but don't have valid meaning until they achieve something worth having.

Wait until you hear "their words" at the up-coming SC judge hearings.

We are fight they are wrong. Is $500B annual interest payments enough for everyone?

How curious a response, considering possible purpose OldLady.

If I were to guess, the words the President expressed that you found favorable, were those of unity and civility. Yet, here is an example of how they served purpose. If words are used to unite a lynching party, that doesn't necessarily validate the lynching party's purpose.

Unity and civility are what most people want to achieve, but don't have valid meaning until they achieve something worth having.
I believe Obama was referring to something larger than platitudes like "unity" and "civility." What he was referring to was the larger concept of a democratic form of government, in our case, a Democratic Republic, that gives the people a choice of how the nation is led. Not everyone will agree on how that should be achieved. There will be "debate." I think Obama was right, though, that more is involved than just our own ideas. It is the whole system that allows us to think of solutions and try to persuade others to follow them that makes a democratic government so important to freedom and so fragile in its inception.

That's all.

We never doubted the other man's sincerity or the other patriotism or that when all was said and done, we were on the same team. We never doubted we were on the same team...even when we used the full weight of the US Intelligence community against Donald J Trump and Juan McCain agreed with us

This is why Juan McCain should be catapulted into the Potomac.
You should be very careful fiddling with quotes. If that were in a term paper I assigned, you would be collecting a zero, if nothing worse.

He kept the Trump bashing to a minimum
Why is he minimally trashing Trump during the eulogy? A funeral is not the place for a man to air out his personal politics. That is super inappropriate.
It would be super inappropriate, if that is what he did. He didn't. If you read the words he actually said, both sides need to own them. If you decided that the shoe fits, by all means wear it, but that is not how I took it. It was a brief admonishment to us all. I guess I should have put those words in quotes; it is what the Trump supporters are calling "bashing."

I found Obama's primary message more important, which is what I meant in the OP.

Forum List

Back