Obamas Choose Elite Private School for Kids

with what they have
life is tough when you have competition

These schools sucked when they had money.

Now you want to take it away from them and expect them to improve?

I don't think it works that way ...

only because you think throwing more money at a bad school will fix the problem

I didn't say throw more money at it ...

I want higher standards and requirements.

And a risk/reward deal for the teachers. Ok ... TECHNICALLY that part could involve giving more money to bad schools. But I wouldn't characterize it as just throwing money at a problem.

I didn't say throw more money at it ...

I want higher standards and requirements.

And a risk/reward deal for the teachers. Ok ... TECHNICALLY that part could involve giving more money to bad schools. But I wouldn't characterize it as just throwing money at a problem.
but how can you "reward" poor performance?

i'm tellin ya, if the schools know they will be losing money if they dont improve their systems, they WILL improve
but if you just keep giving them more money for poor performance, thats what you will get

Last edited:
but how can you "reward" poor performance?

You don't ... you fire them.

i'm tellin ya, if the schools know they will be losing money if they dont improve their systems, they WILL improve
but if you just keep giving them more money for poor performance, thats what you will get

I agree. But to do so doesn't require a voucher program.

You don't ... you fire them.

I agree. But to do so doesn't require a voucher program.
seems to be the best option to me
that way at least the parents that care and are involved with their kids education will be able to have the options

No. I didn't. I'm fairly certain I know more about their benefits than you do...which you'd know if you actually read with comprehension...an apparent problem for you, notwithstanding your pretense at divining what others think, know or should do. :cuckoo:

Since we're not talking about mental health benefits, I sincerely doubt you know more than anyone does.

And I would never try to divine your thoughts. They don't make microscopes that can see that small.

By all means, please consider yourself beneath my contempt and my notice from this point forward.

Nobody else repsonded to it. It was posted at me ... "anyone else" is irrelevant.

Nobody else responded to it because nobody else was dumb enough to argue it. And from where I sit, that would make YOU sort of irrelevant.

And it's a matter of opinion that vouchers are the solution.

Of course it is. No one ever said it wasn't. However, it is an informed opinion based on very solid economic teachings. And since you have already said that you have no real alternative plan to offer, I fail to see where you get off trying to just airily dismiss it.

No, you are talking about privatizing the education system.

Hardly, since I'm talking about funding that still comes from taxes and is funneled through the government. Not that I consider privatization a bad thing, but saying that this amounts to privatization is like saying that the Postal Service is privatized simply because I can choose to drive to a different station because I don't like the people who work at the one closest to me.

There are plenty of good private schools in the country. But there are nowhere near as many private schools as there are public.

So what?

Because religious indoctrination isn't what tax dollars should be spent on. If you want your kid to go to Jesus school then pay up.

I AM paying up, pal. I'm forking over buttloads of money to fund a school system that sucks so badly, it's not even the bottom of the barrel. It's UNDER the barrel. And at the moment, I don't even USE the school system, because I ALSO pay separately to homeschool my children so that I have some vague hope of them becoming employed as adults.

And once again, it's none of your damned business what format I choose to have MY children educated in, so long as they possess the necessary academic achievements to be productive members of society. YOU didn't give birth to them, YOU don't contribute a single red cent to their upkeep, and I don't notice YOU coming over to babysit them, so how DARE you think you get any vote in the matter? You've heard the phrase, "My body, my choice"? I'm sure you have, and I'm sure you think it's a spiffy idea, or at least say you do when you're trying to pick up girls at the bar. Well, this is "My CHILD, my choice". If you had no business telling me whether or not I could abort the kid when I was pregnant, you have no business telling me how to raise him now that I've given birth.

I don't think that abortions should be paid with my tax dollars either.

Ahh, so you figure that means it's okay for you to stick your nose into how people conduct their lives? Do you stand around the checkout lanes at the supermarket, passing judgement on the food people buy with their food stamps? Hang out at the VA hospital and tell the patients how they should manage their health to suit you?

And that sucks. I don't agree with it but I'm not about to privatize the school system because of it.

No one's talking about privatizing anything, not that that's a bad idea.

So? What are you grading me now?

I graduated from a public high school. I have had no trouble handling college level courses. I know countless others just like me.

Ah, anecdotal evidence. "I can almost sort of put together a grammatical sentence, so all the facts and statistics about how bad our education system is must be nonsense."

You'll excuse me if I'm a little more inclined to believe statistics that even the Education Department admits to, particularly since I don't exactly find your posts all that comforting in regards to demonstrating the achievements of our public schools.

I didn't gloss over it I just thought it was a retarded point.

No, you thought it was a point you couldn't answer.

If you don't like your school district, move.

And if people can't afford to move, they should just shut the hell up and stop flattering themselves that they matter or deserve to have a future for their kids, is that it? Very elitist of you.

If you can't afford private school, work two jobs.

See above.

If you want nuns teaching your kids send them to Jesus school.

If you want a vote on who teaches my children or what they're taught, start coughing up some child support.

Funny.

Stupid but funny.

I wish I could say that applies to you, but only half of it does.

Homeschooling is one of the great abominations of modern American society. Home schooling is predominantly the prerogative of mostly evangelical religious extremists who can't afford private religious schools to insulate their children from all the "social evils" of modern society.

You mean like graduating high school with honors but not being able to find your own country on the world map? THOSE social evils? Or did you mean psycho kids who bring in a gun and shoot half their classmates before committing suicide? Can't imagine why anyone would want to insulate their children from stuff like that.

Instead of teaching children about how to confront and deal with all the social pressures confronting them parents elect to hide their kids from it. And heaven forbid, a kid learns the science has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion. All taught by people who have NO qualifications to teach anything.

Yeah, which is why those damned ignorant homeschoolers, without the benefit of the brilliant, dedicated public school teachers, can barely pass an assessment test or get into college . . . Oh, wait. That's not the homeschoolers. That's the public school kids. The homeschoolers do just fine.

What you get is a pack of kids who at 19 have NO social skills and no idea how to confront people of different backgrounds and belief systems from their own or the ability to learn how to tolerate and still maintain your core belief system.

Oh, I'm heartbroken that my son is missing out on the valuable social skills taught in public school, like how to make gang signs properly and which colors are safe to wear and which ones will get you shot.

Have you set foot in a public high school recently, Delusion Boy? Or even a junior high? Hell, have you taken a look around your local shopping mall lately? Who, exactly, are these well-adjusted, wonderfully-socialized teenagers you imagine are running around out there?

And God knows how hard it is for me to ever tolerate someone who is as completely braindead, politically as you are. And if I were single, i would still love to take you out to dinner.....

What? YOU find it hard to tolerate someone who doesn't agree with you? But . . . but . . . I thought you just said that public schools did such a good job of teaching that. Were you homeschooled or something?

Nobody else responded to it because nobody else was dumb enough to argue it. And from where I sit, that would make YOU sort of irrelevant.

Of course it is. No one ever said it wasn't. However, it is an informed opinion based on very solid economic teachings. And since you have already said that you have no real alternative plan to offer, I fail to see where you get off trying to just airily dismiss it.

Hardly, since I'm talking about funding that still comes from taxes and is funneled through the government. Not that I consider privatization a bad thing, but saying that this amounts to privatization is like saying that the Postal Service is privatized simply because I can choose to drive to a different station because I don't like the people who work at the one closest to me.

So what?

I AM paying up, pal. I'm forking over buttloads of money to fund a school system that sucks so badly, it's not even the bottom of the barrel. It's UNDER the barrel. And at the moment, I don't even USE the school system, because I ALSO pay separately to homeschool my children so that I have some vague hope of them becoming employed as adults.

And once again, it's none of your damned business what format I choose to have MY children educated in, so long as they possess the necessary academic achievements to be productive members of society. YOU didn't give birth to them, YOU don't contribute a single red cent to their upkeep, and I don't notice YOU coming over to babysit them, so how DARE you think you get any vote in the matter? You've heard the phrase, "My body, my choice"? I'm sure you have, and I'm sure you think it's a spiffy idea, or at least say you do when you're trying to pick up girls at the bar. Well, this is "My CHILD, my choice". If you had no business telling me whether or not I could abort the kid when I was pregnant, you have no business telling me how to raise him now that I've given birth.

Ahh, so you figure that means it's okay for you to stick your nose into how people conduct their lives? Do you stand around the checkout lanes at the supermarket, passing judgement on the food people buy with their food stamps? Hang out at the VA hospital and tell the patients how they should manage their health to suit you?

Ah, anecdotal evidence. "I can almost sort of put together a grammatical sentence, so all the facts and statistics about how bad our education system is must be nonsense."

You'll excuse me if I'm a little more inclined to believe statistics that even the Education Department admits to, particularly since I don't exactly find your posts all that comforting in regards to demonstrating the achievements of our public schools.

And if people can't afford to move, they should just shut the hell up and stop flattering themselves that they matter or deserve to have a future for their kids, is that it? Very elitist of you.

See above.

If you want a vote on who teaches my children or what they're taught, start coughing up some child support.

Perhaps a midol will help?

Then you are going to run into a logistical problem.

Most parents will want to send their kid to the top school or school district.

Like I said ... move.

Not everyone defines "top school" the same way. In many cases, not everyone defines "top school" the same way even in their own family. The school best suited to my son would have been completely inappropriate to his older sister, for example, because they don't have the same interests or aptitudes. And not everyone has the same priorities.

My son, Nicholas, is a science whiz who wants to be an engineer. He loves to build things. He needs extra time to complete English-based work, because it's harder for him, and he needs to be allowed as much extra math and science work as he can get his hands on so that he can push his limits there as far as possible. He also needs college prep, because he will require a degree to be an engineer.

Sarah, his older sister, hated pure academics and would have committed suicide before ever considering attending college. She mastered the necessary basics in all subjects to graduate, but her life path pointed toward going to a trade school. What she needed were applied trade skill courses, and she now works in home care, taking care of the disabled and elderly.

The one I'm pregnant with now, Quinn, might end up being an artist like me, and require exactly the opposite things from Nicholas. Since I homeschool, I can tailor Nicky and Quinn's academic paths to suit them. If I were going to choose schools for them, and Quinn turned out to be like me, I wouldn't send them to the same place.

Whatever ...

I've already said what I wanted to do about it.

It sounds to me like you are giving back the tax money to the tax payer and letting them determine how to spend their (others) money.

So you better start building.

Cry me a river, sweetie.

No, I don't but your hyperbole is noted.

It sure sounds like it to me.

Stats like the ones that say that the majority of of vouchers are used for religious schools?

And I don't give a rats what you think of my grammar, etc. I post at my own pleasure.

No, I thought it was a retarded point.

They should get a better job and move up the ladder. I know, how capitalistic of me ...

See above.

Right back at ya, sis.

Move or make more money, toots ... I'm already flipping the bill for kids to go to school and I don't even have any.

Well I am a pretty funny guy.

Which would flood the district.

Class sizes would increase, the teacher to student ratio would increase, and the level of education would decrease.

It is untrue, actually, that class size relates to quality of education. However, you are assuming that the number of available schools would remain static, and that those schools not attracting students would continue in their failing ways. The entire point to this is that the necessity of competing for students and funding would motivate schools to achieve to an extent that they certainly aren't now.

My state, for example, has charter schools. They're quite popular here. Technically, they are public schools and receive funding just like the regular district schools, but the government has a much more hands-off, laissez faire attitude toward their curriculum, so long as they meet the basic minimum requirements and their students pass the AIMS tests. I suspect that school competition in the form of vouchers would not only result in more private schools opening, but also in bringing charter schools to places that don't have them now.

And it would leave some school districs woefully underfunded forcing parents to send their children to schools many miles from where they live.

Can't imagine how you figure that. There are two school districts other than the one I live in within a ten-minute drive from my house. Whole DISTRICTS, not just other schools.

And I myself grew up in a small, semi-rural school district. It did a much better job of basic academics than the big-city schools where I live now, largely because the teachers and administrators didn't have the option of sending their kids somewhere else. It's amazing how reluctant they suddenly become to conduct social experiments with the kids as guinea pigs when it's THEIR kids involved. Focuses their talents something fierce.

Forum List

Back