Official USMB Debate 2020 -- "Round One" Thread..

Was the first presidential debate a "shit show"?

• Yes

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
I don’t see what Trump hoped to gain by his outlandish behavior.

He trails Biden with a month to go before the election. What voters did he expect to win over by showing what an out of control bully he is.
Inexplicable. As usual. He's actually more of a child today than he was four years ago.
I remember four years ago, some voters asked.....
How bad can he be?

Last night, we saw

The awful mess was Hidin' Biden and his buddy Wallace. Care4all and other TDS folks prove there are two Americas, those who are mentally ill and those who are not. Hidin' Biden stumbled through lie after lie. And President Trump barely got started. Looking forward to the next "mess" in which Hidin' Biden gets massacred again.
This was a pretty neat moment though, huh?

The Proud Boys are not a ws group, nor a hate group. Trump was right to NOT denounce them.

AND might I add, the question is bullshit. ws are a fringe movement with no importance.
Wrong...a POtuS that refused to condemn terrorism is something I thought I would never see. That debate was sad for America.

Walking and defending your self when attacked, is the opposite of terrorism.

It is sad that America needs to be told that.
When a President is asked to condemn violence after an election and he refuses to do so, that is a sad day for America democracy.

Self defense is not something to be condemned, but something to be celebrated.

The attackers, ie antifa, are something to be condemned.

Was Biden asked to condemn them?
Biden made clear he condemned violence across the board. Why didn’t Trump do the same?
Uh....you bet he did. Weren't you listening?
I think you only heard what you wanted to hear.

The awful mess was Hidin' Biden and his buddy Wallace. Care4all and other TDS folks prove there are two Americas, those who are mentally ill and those who are not. Hidin' Biden stumbled through lie after lie. And President Trump barely got started. Looking forward to the next "mess" in which Hidin' Biden gets massacred again.

The Proud Boys are not a ws group, nor a hate group. Trump was right to NOT denounce them.

AND might I add, the question is bullshit. ws are a fringe movement with no importance.
Wrong...a POtuS that refused to condemn terrorism is something I thought I would never see. That debate was sad for America.

When a President is asked to condemn violence after an election and he refuses to do so, that is a sad day for America democracy.

Biden made clear he condemned violence across the board. Why didn’t Trump do the same?
I'm sure that's a rhetorical question. You know why.
I think it was a fair question asked by Trump on when he said "who do you want me to condemn, give me a name."

It has been a sad day since COVID-19 hit.

No, what is sad is that Trump lied to us about how serious it was, refused to take actions to contain it because he was more concerned with the stock market, engaged in magical thinking to downplay the seriousness of the disease, undermined his own medical experts, openly undermined the governors taking the actions he refused to take, failed to use his powers to produce the resources needed to combat this thing. He made masks part of the culture war when they never should have been.

Every other industrialized country has done a better job at containing this thing than we have.

Government schools will be teaching this as an example of administrative failure for a century.
Of course he was concerned. Shutting down the economy and our schools and hospitals may end up killing more people than the virus itself. Governors took actions alright. NY, NJ and MA governors watched nearly 100k people die. And we have the most deaths because we are the unhealthiest country aka fat. I have explained this multiple times and provided links. Here they are again. Please educate yourself.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Obesity’s Role in COVID-19 Deaths: Big Food, Slow Government to Blame?

BMI and future risk for COVID-19 infection and death across sex, age and ethnicity: Preliminary findings from UK biobank

Even mild obesity linked to severe COVID-19, death, in study

I don’t see what Trump hoped to gain by his outlandish behavior.

He trails Biden with a month to go before the election. What voters did he expect to win over by showing what an out of control bully he is.
Inexplicable. As usual. He's actually more of a child today than he was four years ago.
I remember four years ago, some voters asked.....
How bad can he be?

Last night, we saw
I want to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

But remember, he's just one guy. The far bigger problem is that 40% to 45% of the country is with him, after everything he has done to damage and humiliate this country.

I hope the next leader of the world is Germany and not China, because we're now a mess.

I watched the first hour before I was tired of the shoutfest and went to bed.
What a freaking mess. Trump simply doesn't know when to shut up.
Biden passed his very low brow test, no one expecting much out of him - and we didn't get it.
Trump was a schoolyard bully. He hardly let Biden say two words without interrupting, so the last thing Biden had to worry about was having senior moments.... he never got a moment to show one.

In my opinion - Biden won. He won because he made it. He survived it. He did so without any major senile moments due to Trumps beating. Trump fucked it up like I was afraid he would. He looked childish, bullyish throwing tantrums. Absolutely terrible.
And he gave Biden great reasons to have no more debates.
I think that was the impression Chris Wallace gave everyone......because Wallace was there to keep Trump off of Biden.
Biden could interrupt Trump any time he wanted.....but Trump wasn't even allowed to finish his thoughts without Wallace going....but...but...but...but....this is a tactic Wallace uses on his Sunday shows. When he doesn't like the answer....he starts doing his motorboat routine. It's why I stopped watching his show.
This is a trend I've seen with debate moderators....the Republican isn't just debating the Democrat....he has to deal with an argumentative moderator as well.
In my opinion, all Trump had to do was show up and let Biden destroy himself. But it went the other way around. The debate isn't going to change anyone's mind that is already made up. Like both of ours. I am not voting for Biden now, just like I wasn't yesterday. But there are people on the fence. There are folks that can go either way, and last night I believe Trump took more hits than Biden. It was a schoolyard brawl, a complete mess.
And I do agree Wallace does indeed interrupt too much. It isn't a high school debate forum. That can add frustration to an already obvious tense debate. I agree he certainly interrupted Trump more than Biden, particularly when it was Trump's turn and he would start to talk and Wallace would interrupt simply to tell him it is his turn. That was dumb, and he did it 3 times by my count.
But in the end - I think for fence sitters... Biden looked better. Everyone was expecting little from him, but also expected him to falter and lose his place...confused.. but Trump never gave him more than 10 seconds to speak.
Trump was agressive and got his message across. Biden did not.
Chris Wallace claimed before the debate to want to be invisible...but he spent most of the debate defending Biden and admonishing Trump.
He also broke his own format.....2 mins for each candidate and then a period of free-discussion.
That lasted for one question....then it became ask Biden a question...then admonish Trump for interrupting him. Ask Biden another question.....and then admonish Trump for talking over him. Trump was never allowed to finish his thoughts. Biden was given at one point over 8 mins to answer two related questions and Trump had to sit there and stay quiet while it went on and on and on.
Wallace was just there saying, "Go ahead and finish what you had to say before you were so rudely interrupted President Biden".

He kept admonishing Trump because Trump kept breaking the rules that were agreed-upon prior to the debate
They both broke the rules....and even Wallace broke his own rules.
95% of the interruptions came from Trump

Biden was fighting for a chance to speak. Trump was determined to prevent any other view than his own.

I think it was a fair question asked by Trump on when he said "who do you want me to condemn, give me a name."
They did, and he said "Proud Boys, Stand Back and Stand By", and then quickly changed the subject.

Now there can be no doubt.

Ruthie, an undecided voter from Pennsylvania in a Frank Luntz focus group during last night’s presidential debate, described Joe Biden’s challenge as trying to “win an argument with a crackhead,” Politico reports.

LOLOL
hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last night was a total debacle. It was an embarrassment and an insult to voters. I'm embarassed to claim those two are the choices.

It was a sad day for our country
No kidding. And of course you place zero blame on our biased media, which has turned us against one another.

Blame the media?
It was Trump who turned the debate into a circus
What? We were already at each others throats. Media did this in 2016 by supporting the narrative that anyone who supports Trump is a racist, homophobe, transphobe, Islamaphobe. Hence many Trump voters had to become the "silent majority". Cancel culture was given credence and violent protests were not covered accurately until the outlets saw their candidates suffer in the polls.

In my opinion the media should give you the fact and allow the viewers to form an opinion. Not try to form an opinion for the viewer.

They did, and he said "Proud Boys, Stand Back and Stand By", and then quickly changed the subject.

He didn't change the subject, he said now denounce Antifa and Biden said Antifa was just an idea. I thought he said stand down, I misheard him. Not sure what stand back and stand by means.

I hope the next leader of the world is Germany and not China, because we're now a mess.

The Free World once sought our leadership and looked at the US as an anchor of global security.

Even if we send Trump packing, the rest of the world will not come running back. They cannot trust us not to elect another Trump. They cannot trust us to keep our word. They cannot believe what we say

The debate was the angry right vs the woke mob left. Just a war.

I believe a Civil War is happening and after November election no matter who win the other side will not accept the election results...
Not sure I d go that far but there will be rioting. I feel Sorry for my kids. Sigh

I feel sorry for this Country and fear the path we are charging down will lead to many more people being killed because both sides can not stand each other...

It is clear America is going to see some very dark times soon...

Don't confuse the small but vocal minority left with the rest of America. We'll all be fine after the left are defeated.

You do realize there are a good amount of people that do not want Trump and it is not a small amount...

There is a large amount that want Trump to stay and there is a large amount that want him gone, and the biggest question which side has the votes...

So rioting will be widespread no matter who win...

Nobody wants Biden's hellish TAX INCREASE GREEN FUCKED UP STUPIDITY plan.

And yet millions will vote for him, so I guess those nobodies do!
Some people just vote for "D"....many in fact. Since only 47% pays income taxes, they don't care about the increase on companies and persons who do.

He didn't change the subject, he said now denounce Antifa and Biden said Antifa was just an idea. I thought he said stand down, I misheard him. Not sure what stand back and stand by means.
So in your mind, that was his condemnation. Okay, got it.

when asked if he wanted to pack the Supreme Court, Biden went yapping, mumbling, bumbling...but no answer!

Last night was a total debacle. It was an embarrassment and an insult to voters. I'm embarassed to claim those two are the choices.

It was a sad day for our country
No kidding. And of course you place zero blame on our biased media, which has turned us against one another.

Blame the media?
It was Trump who turned the debate into a circus
What? We were already at each others throats. Media did this in 2016 by supporting the narrative that anyone who supports Trump is a racist, homophobe, transphobe, Islamaphobe. Hence many Trump voters had to become the "silent majority". Cancel culture was given credence and violent protests were not covered accurately until the outlets saw their candidates suffer in the polls.

In my opinion the media should give you the fact and allow the viewers to form an opinion. Not try to form an opinion for the viewer.
Just STOP it.

It was not the media telling Trump how to behave last night

The Free World once sought our leadership and looked at the US as an anchor of global security.

Even if we send Trump packing, the rest of the world will not come running back. They cannot trust us not to elect another Trump. They cannot trust us to keep our word. They cannot believe what we say
Now you speak for the rest of the world?

Pretty sure, Israel remains on our side. Same for South Korea. Japan. UK. Australia. Who do you mean by "the rest of the world"? You always deal in absolutes. I understand it is your way of trolling but this is why you don't have any credibility on this site. None. I get that you're a bored retiree with no life but at least try to put some effort into your posts.

I watched the first hour before I was tired of the shoutfest and went to bed.
What a freaking mess. Trump simply doesn't know when to shut up.
Biden passed his very low brow test, no one expecting much out of him - and we didn't get it.
Trump was a schoolyard bully. He hardly let Biden say two words without interrupting, so the last thing Biden had to worry about was having senior moments.... he never got a moment to show one.

In my opinion - Biden won. He won because he made it. He survived it. He did so without any major senile moments due to Trumps beating. Trump fucked it up like I was afraid he would. He looked childish, bullyish throwing tantrums. Absolutely terrible.
And he gave Biden great reasons to have no more debates.
I think that was the impression Chris Wallace gave everyone......because Wallace was there to keep Trump off of Biden.
Biden could interrupt Trump any time he wanted.....but Trump wasn't even allowed to finish his thoughts without Wallace going....but...but...but...but....this is a tactic Wallace uses on his Sunday shows. When he doesn't like the answer....he starts doing his motorboat routine. It's why I stopped watching his show.
This is a trend I've seen with debate moderators....the Republican isn't just debating the Democrat....he has to deal with an argumentative moderator as well.
In my opinion, all Trump had to do was show up and let Biden destroy himself. But it went the other way around. The debate isn't going to change anyone's mind that is already made up. Like both of ours. I am not voting for Biden now, just like I wasn't yesterday. But there are people on the fence. There are folks that can go either way, and last night I believe Trump took more hits than Biden. It was a schoolyard brawl, a complete mess.
And I do agree Wallace does indeed interrupt too much. It isn't a high school debate forum. That can add frustration to an already obvious tense debate. I agree he certainly interrupted Trump more than Biden, particularly when it was Trump's turn and he would start to talk and Wallace would interrupt simply to tell him it is his turn. That was dumb, and he did it 3 times by my count.
But in the end - I think for fence sitters... Biden looked better. Everyone was expecting little from him, but also expected him to falter and lose his place...confused.. but Trump never gave him more than 10 seconds to speak.
Trump was agressive and got his message across. Biden did not.
Chris Wallace claimed before the debate to want to be invisible...but he spent most of the debate defending Biden and admonishing Trump.
He also broke his own format.....2 mins for each candidate and then a period of free-discussion.
That lasted for one question....then it became ask Biden a question...then admonish Trump for interrupting him. Ask Biden another question.....and then admonish Trump for talking over him. Trump was never allowed to finish his thoughts. Biden was given at one point over 8 mins to answer two related questions and Trump had to sit there and stay quiet while it went on and on and on.
Wallace was just there saying, "Go ahead and finish what you had to say before you were so rudely interrupted President Biden".

He kept admonishing Trump because Trump kept breaking the rules that were agreed-upon prior to the debate
They both broke the rules....and even Wallace broke his own rules.
95% of the interruptions came from Trump
I guess the past what five presidents have been the most vociferous ones in debates. In the end people will remember Trump. This is likely what he was going for but in my opinion he made a mistake. If he didn't keep interrupting Biden, Slow Joe likely would have said something stupid on his own. Well he did when he refused to answer if he would pack the court and called Antifa an "idea".
I think because of them talking over each other....alot of the crap Biden was saying didn't become obvious.
I particularly had issues with the constant chuckling and sneering Biden did no matter what Trump was saying. When Biden was debating Paul Ryan 8 years ago for VP he was laughing like a Hyena through most of what he was saying. This is rude behavior and a habit of Biden's. Trump didn't allow Biden to get away with it. Biden acts like a jerk when he doesn't agree with someone. He calls them names like racist, clown, Dogfaced Pony Soldiers. Trump just hammered him even though Chris Wallace defended him at every opportunity.
Biden claims he doesn't know what his kid was doing in China, Ukraine, and in Russia.
Biden won't say who he would pick as a SCOTUS nominee.
Biden won't say that he doesn't support BLM & ANTIFA even while his VP pick supports them and encourages them with words and with bail.
Biden refused to answer questions.

Forum List

Back