Oh You Scamps!! First Church Of Cannabis Plans To Test Indiana’s New Religious Freedom Law

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Peaking out from the redwoods
First Church Of Cannabis Plans To Test Indiana’s New Religious Freedom Law

For thousands of years, religious people have gathered together in houses of worship to sing songs, celebrate sacred rituals, and lift up prayers to God(s) on high. And on July 1, a new religious group in Indiana intends to do just that — but with a lot more emphasis on the “high” part.

A little more than a month from now, the newly-formed First Church of Cannabis is scheduled to hold its first official gathering, where worshippers plan to test the limits of new religious freedom laws by “filling up” the sanctuary with marijuana smoke while observing a sacrament.[...]

Recreational marijuana is, of course, illegal in Indiana. But Levin believes the service will be allowed under the state’s new version of the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act (RFRA), which reaffirmed and arguably expanded existing legal protections for religious groups. The Grand Poohba founded the Church after he heard about the controversial legislation, which sparked a national outcry when it was revealed that it could allow religious groups and individuals the right to discriminate against others — especially LGBT people. Levin also opposed the legislation, but the same day it was signed into the law, the state approved his request to register his Church as a tax-exempt religious institution. [...]

The federal version of RFRA was created in response to a case where Native Americans were denied the right to smoke peyote during a religious ritual, but courts have thus far resisted First Amendment claims from new religious groups that focus primarily on drug use. In 2010, a federal circuit court dismissed the case of United States v. Quaintance, where the Church of Cognizance argued that their consumption of marijuana was authorized under RFRA because they consider cannabis both a deity and a sacrament. The panel of judges ruled the group had failed to prove that their beliefs were “sincerely held” in a religious sense, concluding that their motives were more business-oriented than spiritually-centered.

But that was 2010, before the Supreme Court broadened its interpretation of RFRA to grant craft giant Hobby Lobby the ability to opt out of aspects of the Affordable Care Act. That decision has led to several district courts overturning previous decisions that struck down RFRA defenses, reigniting old debates over the nature of religious liberty. More importantly, even though LGBT rights advocates successfully lobbied to amend Indiana’s RFRA to prohibit discrimination, the state’s law is still possibly broader than its federal cousin, potentially paving the way for the Church of Cannabis to win approval for their rituals.

When bad laws are used by funny people...

Will they pray to St Tostito, St Dorito and the Lord and Savior Cheesus?

before we get all excited this has been attempted before...

do you have any idea how long i have been a rastafari and denied my freedom of religious expression?

do you have any idea how long i have been a rastafari and denied my freedom of religious expression?
Since this thread started?
I hope the state arrests and prosecutes all those scumbags and jails them for long sentences.

Would it be cool if there were a religion called church of the burned tire and they practice burning thousands of used tires in california....releasing awesome amounts of chemicals into the air.

First Church Of Cannabis Plans To Test Indiana’s New Religious Freedom Law

For thousands of years, religious people have gathered together in houses of worship to sing songs, celebrate sacred rituals, and lift up prayers to God(s) on high. And on July 1, a new religious group in Indiana intends to do just that — but with a lot more emphasis on the “high” part.

A little more than a month from now, the newly-formed First Church of Cannabis is scheduled to hold its first official gathering, where worshippers plan to test the limits of new religious freedom laws by “filling up” the sanctuary with marijuana smoke while observing a sacrament.[...]

Recreational marijuana is, of course, illegal in Indiana. But Levin believes the service will be allowed under the state’s new version of the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act (RFRA), which reaffirmed and arguably expanded existing legal protections for religious groups. The Grand Poohba founded the Church after he heard about the controversial legislation, which sparked a national outcry when it was revealed that it could allow religious groups and individuals the right to discriminate against others — especially LGBT people. Levin also opposed the legislation, but the same day it was signed into the law, the state approved his request to register his Church as a tax-exempt religious institution. [...]

The federal version of RFRA was created in response to a case where Native Americans were denied the right to smoke peyote during a religious ritual, but courts have thus far resisted First Amendment claims from new religious groups that focus primarily on drug use. In 2010, a federal circuit court dismissed the case of United States v. Quaintance, where the Church of Cognizance argued that their consumption of marijuana was authorized under RFRA because they consider cannabis both a deity and a sacrament. The panel of judges ruled the group had failed to prove that their beliefs were “sincerely held” in a religious sense, concluding that their motives were more business-oriented than spiritually-centered.

But that was 2010, before the Supreme Court broadened its interpretation of RFRA to grant craft giant Hobby Lobby the ability to opt out of aspects of the Affordable Care Act. That decision has led to several district courts overturning previous decisions that struck down RFRA defenses, reigniting old debates over the nature of religious liberty. More importantly, even though LGBT rights advocates successfully lobbied to amend Indiana’s RFRA to prohibit discrimination, the state’s law is still possibly broader than its federal cousin, potentially paving the way for the Church of Cannabis to win approval for their rituals.

When bad laws are used by funny people...

Will they pray to St Tostito, St Dorito and the Lord and Savior Cheesus?
Ah finally some good coming out of special treatment of religion :thup:

I hope the state arrests and prosecutes all those scumbags and jails them for long sentences.

try since i was 18 or so.....nice of you to show your religious attitude by mocking mine...you can be a pagan and a rastafai at the same time

try since i was 18 or so.....nice of you to show your religious attitude by mocking mine...you can be a pagan and a rastafai at the same time
Yes I mock stupidity. And you are among the stupid of the stupid here. Now bugger off to Jamaica and smoke ganja and take it up the ass.

"A little more than a month from now, the newly-formed First Church of Cannabis is scheduled to hold its first official gathering, where worshippers plan to test the limits of new religious freedom laws by “filling up” the sanctuary with marijuana smoke while observing a sacrament.[...]"

Sorry, no, that's not how it works.

Just as public accommodations laws don't violate the First Amendment because their intent is not to disadvantage religious liberty, so too are laws prohibiting the possession or use of marijuana not in violation of the First Amendment because their intent doesn't seek to restrict religious expression.

You can almost hear the pot head lefties giggling "duh duh we really put one over on Indiana with this one yuk yuk", when they don't even understand the difference between religious freedom and substance abuse. The intent of the Indiana law was to keep the government from forcing religious groups, under penalty of incarceration, to cater to sodomites. Maybe the pot head radical left doesn't understand the difference between being forced by the government to put aside religious beliefs and abusing drugs but clear headed Americans do.

Los Angeles tried the Church of the Most High Goddess.

It didn't work. The Church was still found to be a brothel and everyone jailed.

The concept of religious freedom places strong limitations on the State's control of content.

For instance, one religion might call for the barbaric stoning of women (Deuteronomy 22:21), while another may call for packing another bong hit and listening to Jimmy Cliff. A free society allows the individual to choose if he wants to bow and prey to a theology that advocates the stoning of women or one which merely advocates getting stoned. Not so the American Right, which wants Washington to impose a central economic model (laissez-faire capitalism) on the world, along with a central belief system (the insanely myopic, violent and politically motivated Republican version of the teachings of Jesus Chris).

Don't be fooled America. These people hate freedom. They envision a singular world model, imposed militarily abroad and legally at home - imposed by Washington.

God Help Us.

Last edited:
You can almost hear the pot head lefties giggling "duh duh we really put one over on Indiana with this one yuk yuk", when they don't even understand the difference between religious freedom and substance abuse. The intent of the Indiana law was to keep the government from forcing religious groups, under penalty of incarceration, to cater to sodomites. Maybe the pot head radical left doesn't understand the difference between being forced by the government to put aside religious beliefs and abusing drugs but clear headed Americans do.

If you're going to talk about substance abuse, you should include alcohol, sugar and tabaco.

Rastafarians are against alcohol.

You might also want to study the religious beliefs of Rastafarians, who accept many Judeo-Christian beliefs with a focus on Old Testament laws & prophecies, specifically the Book of Revelation. (And yes, they do substitute pot for wine as the blessed sacrament of choice).

As for your name calling, "sodomites", you might consider this. Big government should have no standing on the difference between types of consensual intercourse between unrelated, adults. Washington should be as far away as possible from the bedroom of consenting adults.

I am disgusted by the thought of sodomy, as I am sure you are. The difference between us is that I don't spend my time thinking about the sex acts of other people, especially if they are consenting adults. And I certainly don't want Big Government thinking about it either. The role of the state is to hand out and enforce contracts, not override the choices of consenting adults by enforcing a single moral model on the sheeple.

Only Republicans care about the type of sex consenting adults have. Stay out of our bedrooms perverts! Get government off our backs. Let free individuals make their own choices, and let them be judged by God not Washington bureaucrats.

(Why do Republicans love/need Big Government so much?)

Forum List

Back