OMG! I just figured out why yankee's are so hateful.

it's big, I bet it was inedible, though. Taste is what matters,

No shit? Of course they're tasty as long as they get enough water which this one obviously did. A melon that didn't get enough water has a thicker rind and won't be as sweet. The only problem with these melons is they have seeds...I'm hooked on seedless.
I can taste the difference, it's not much, but it's there. I like the seedless, but most I've had are not as good as ones with seeds, and besides, after awhile, you can do trick shots with the seeds, bounce them off the dogs heads, or off the tree, or an annoying child...:muahaha:, that's a joke folks.

How much does a watermelon that size go for? And could you imagine eating it in one sitting, you wouldn't be constipated for a year.

I have no idea....been in Phoenix for the last 40 years....I'd imagine that melon was sold for it's seeds....looks like a hybrid doesn't it? Not a normal melon by any stretch....Most of the Michigan melons are a third that size....we get the Imperial Valley, Ca melons here starting in early July.....$5 at Wallys.

Just made my first trip to the local farmers market today, and the leaf lettuce, and green onions are delicious. And I got so much corn in the ground, it aint funny, just hope we get some decent rain this year.

My grampa on the distaff side made a living and raised a family on 80 acres of mid-Michigan black dirt. Not sure what all he grew because he was dead and the land in the soil bank when I was born. My green thumb is pretty much trees and I don't plant a tree unless I get shade or fruit from it. Here in Phoenix they say you can't grow apples but I had a Dorsett golden delicious that was almost a climbing tree in 4 years. I had peaches, plums, and assorted citrus all fall prey to the goddamn mocking birds in the Oleanders across the alley....they peck anything that turns color, it rots, and they come back...I tried nets, fake owls, couldn't just shoot them....I did sneak across the alley at night and poured diesel fuel into the Oleander roots but nothing kills those damn things.
Go to the local animal shelter, and get you a good tomcat, inside/outside, he will bring those birds to you as gifts, several a week, at least ours does.

much, but it's there. I like the seedless, but most I've had are not as good as ones with seeds, and besides, after awhile, you can do trick shots with the seeds, bounce them off the dogs heads, or off the tree, or an annoying child...:muahaha:, that's a joke folks.

I had a girlfriend back in the day I'd sit across a watermelon from, both of us nekkid, spitting seeds at each other....most stickers got the quality go-down on for the evening....most girls can't spit but Martha could....she got more stickers because of my chest hair....great gal, the one that got away. :cry:

Go to the local animal shelter, and get you a good tomcat, inside/outside, he will bring those birds to you as gifts, several a week, at least ours does.

Mockingbirds TERRORIZE cats....they'll attack anything including me....used to dive at my Golden out in the yard....she'd grab one every once in awhile and pluck the damn thing....no bites, left it naked...they didn't last long in our sun. :badgrin:

Mockingbirds TERRORIZE cats....they'll attack anything including me....used to dive at my Golden out in the yard....she'd grab one every once in awhile and pluck the damn thing....no bites, left it naked...they didn't last long in our sun. :badgrin:
We have a cat, named rascal, he is a terror to all birds, mice and rabbits, he is a little past his prime, but a good cat.

Over the last year, there has been a lot of buzzards around here, and I didn't know it was illegal to shoot them, luckily, I never did, but still we get a new one on the back porch about once a week, Rascal doesn't eat what he kills, but he kills them just the same, damned if I know how, the bird is twice his size. Pisses my wife off to no end, she has to throw the carcass away. I don't ever remember any mocking birds around here, lots of woodpeckers and jays and black birds, and several bobwhites, once in a while a cardinal. We have a humming bird feeder, but never once has he brought us a humming bird.

It's fun to watch him hunt,NOT! he just lays in the grass for hours on end, if we had the patience of cats, nothing would ever get accomplished.

We tried growing strawberries in Va. Hard sour little things fresh off the vine. We get the plump juicy stuff from Walmart.

Forum List

Back