On 9/11/01, 17 years ago where were you that day?

I was home, holding my babies & watching the news bounce between local & national over what happened with the first tower. I sat there & watched the second plane as it hit the second tower. From that point on I was glued to the news and was watching an interview with a news correspondent that was at the Pentagon, when it was hit, with books & stuff falling around him.
I was just glad hubs came home early. His boss had sent everyone home to be with their families.

In 6th grade Social Studies.
Our world changed that day. We changed that day. And we can't go back to before.

As an old EMT, the picture I remember most is the crowds of civilians running from the cloud of dust roiling from the fallen towers separating and giving way to the midnight blue uniformed warriors as they disappeared out of sight INTO the miasma.

I was at my desk at work when the following email came through...

advisxxx @ us.xxx.com on 09/11/2001 10:34:19 AM
To:
cc:

Subject: ** Note from XXXXXXX Communications **

PROBLEM: 16nnnnnn WAS OPENED
ACCT#: EXXI
AT PRIO: 1
ON 09/11/01 AT 10:32
DESC/1:
-NODE DOWN XXXISTAT WITH IP ADDRESS:nn.87.8.54
CALLBACK#:

That was a notice that customer's server in the WTC was down.

Watching the WTC collapse and knowing some people in that building was very sobering.
Then about 2 months later I was in NY at this customer's home office and it was very sad the memorials
they had regarding these employees deaths.

Never in American history has such a devastating attack on America occurred. Never.
Pearl Harbor was bad.
No question.
But for Americans watching TV and seeing landmarks like the WTC and the Pentagon being attacked!

And people are still dying from the chemical effects of that day and weeks following.
Hopefully no one will be so crass and crude to bring up any issues regarding that for this comment as
everyone knows the issues.

Let's just remember the people that died and those that died trying to save people.

I woke up to it. I had come off my night shift and woke up to the one tower burning and the news trying to figure out what happened, right about when the next plane hit.

Why do we keep degrading Muslims with remembrances like this???
Next thing you know you racists will be saying that planes into buildings is worse than water boarding!
No one is degrading Muslims by honoring / remembering Americans who were slaughtered by Islamic Extremist Terrorists. No one is blaming 'Muslims', as not all Muslims are terrorists.

If you wish to appease terrorists by being too afraid to honor / remember those killed in this country by POS Islamic Extremists, go for it. Not me, thank you.

It is amazing how snowflakes are more worried about insulting Islamic Extremist Terrorists who would love to behead them or fly their asses into buildings as well, than they are concerned about honoring Americans. (This is, in large part, why the name 'snowflake' was used to describe people who are so easily offended by anything and everything.)

I will not apologize for being an American. I will not hold my condemnation of Islamic Extremist terrorists because it might hurt someone's feelings. The only people in such a case who should be offended are Islamic Extremist Terrorists...and if you are an Islamic Extremist Terrorist....F* you and your feelings.
It is amazing how snowflakes are more worried about insulting Islamic Extremist Terrorists who would love to behead them or fly their asses into buildings as well, than they are concerned about honoring Americans.
Horse hockey!

Every one of us here mourned for the folks in the towers and the Pentagon who died. That is total nonsense.
I am not saying you did not, OL. I was referring to the idea we are degrading Muslims by remembering and honoring our dead. THAT is hogwash!
I had this discussion a few days ago, too. The problem is when people use 9/11 as an excuse to stir up hatred and bigotry against Muslims and use it to push the agenda of locking Muslims out of the US. We have very movingly remembered the dead with the 9/11 memorial and museum. The tv will be airing 9/11 documentaries all evening. We've already had two threads to remember it, and it's only 9/10.
None of us will forget and our government is not letting down its guard against terrorists. I do not want to see a day of remembrance for the dead to turn into a rabid right wing hate fest. I am not saying you want to do that, but some do. Don't play into it.
Some may use it to stir up hatred and bigotry, SPEECH which is protected by the 1st Amendment. That is no reason to censor the truth / everyone else.
I must have missed something. I don't see anyone yanking this thread or screaming at you to shut up. So carry on and drop the paranoid routine.

No one is degrading Muslims by honoring / remembering Americans who were slaughtered by Islamic Extremist Terrorists. No one is blaming 'Muslims', as not all Muslims are terrorists.

If you wish to appease terrorists by being too afraid to honor / remember those killed in this country by POS Islamic Extremists, go for it. Not me, thank you.

It is amazing how snowflakes are more worried about insulting Islamic Extremist Terrorists who would love to behead them or fly their asses into buildings as well, than they are concerned about honoring Americans. (This is, in large part, why the name 'snowflake' was used to describe people who are so easily offended by anything and everything.)

I will not apologize for being an American. I will not hold my condemnation of Islamic Extremist terrorists because it might hurt someone's feelings. The only people in such a case who should be offended are Islamic Extremist Terrorists...and if you are an Islamic Extremist Terrorist....F* you and your feelings.
It is amazing how snowflakes are more worried about insulting Islamic Extremist Terrorists who would love to behead them or fly their asses into buildings as well, than they are concerned about honoring Americans.
Horse hockey!

Every one of us here mourned for the folks in the towers and the Pentagon who died. That is total nonsense.
I am not saying you did not, OL. I was referring to the idea we are degrading Muslims by remembering and honoring our dead. THAT is hogwash!
I had this discussion a few days ago, too. The problem is when people use 9/11 as an excuse to stir up hatred and bigotry against Muslims and use it to push the agenda of locking Muslims out of the US. We have very movingly remembered the dead with the 9/11 memorial and museum. The tv will be airing 9/11 documentaries all evening. We've already had two threads to remember it, and it's only 9/10.
None of us will forget and our government is not letting down its guard against terrorists. I do not want to see a day of remembrance for the dead to turn into a rabid right wing hate fest. I am not saying you want to do that, but some do. Don't play into it.
Some may use it to stir up hatred and bigotry, SPEECH which is protected by the 1st Amendment. That is no reason to censor the truth / everyone else.
I must have missed something. I don't see anyone yanking this thread or screaming at you to shut up. So carry on and drop the paranoid routine.
What paranoia?

Do the scenes from 9/11/01 get shown on tv anymore?

No.

Why?

Because 'Big Brother' has decided to withhold it from us - to Censor it - because they have decided we ALL must be 'snowflakes' - easily offended children who can not handle the memory of the largest attack on the US on US soil.

They have decided reminding the world what Islamic Extremists did to America might offend Islamic Terrorist and their supporters.

They have decided FOR US that there are some facts, information, lessons that must be kept from us.

They are afraid seeing it again will make Americans mad.

They are damned right...and we should still get angry...and be diligent and intolerant of ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS and those who supported / support them.

Controlling information and the people's access to it is NOT what this country is supposed to be about.

on this day, I do not just remember the victims of 9/11/01 but those who were sacrificed needlessly on 9/11/12 as well.

I remember how our terrorist-appeasing President - who spent 8 years financing supplying, arming, training, supporting, aiding, abetting, protecting, defending, and even dragged the US into 2 Un-Constitutional, Un-Authorized wars to HELP terrorists.

Barak Obama dragged the US into war y-7 years ago to HELP the terrorists who slaughtered 3,000 Americans on US soil 17 years ago today, helped them kill the President of a sovereign nation, a President who was helping the coalition fight terrorists - like Al Qaeda - in northern Africa.

President Obama aligned our military on the side of the slaughterers of US citizens to hand them control of their own country - Libya - while he was running guns illegally to terrorists through the CIA from Benghazi.

9/11 is time to remember and honor our dead, but there is also a lot more to remember.

Horse hockey!

What paranoia?

Do the scenes from 9/11/01 get shown on tv anymore?

No.

Why?

Because 'Big Brother' has decided to withhold it from us - to Censor it - because they have decided we ALL must be 'snowflakes' - easily offended children who can not handle the memory of the largest attack on the US on US soil.

They have decided reminding the world what Islamic Extremists did to America might offend Islamic Terrorist and their supporters.

They have decided FOR US that there are some facts, information, lessons that must be kept from us.

They are afraid seeing it again will make Americans mad.

They are damned right...and we should still get angry...and be diligent and intolerant of ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS and those who supported / support them.

Controlling information and the people's access to it is NOT what this country is supposed to be about.
If you want to see scenes from 9/11, NatGeo is running them from early afternoon on. If the people in this country wanted to spend the day watching all the documentaries they've seen over and over for the past 17 years, the channels would still be broadcasting them, you can be sure.

it was a sunny nice nearly fall day here...i was painting when my husband called and said the tower had been hit...i remember waving my paint brush in the air going ....who the hell couldnt see the tower...he told me just to go in and turn on the tv....i remember people so deep at the red cross center in johnson city that they turned people away....no more bags for the blood...one note most of the blood used for 9/11 survivors was from canada

it was a sunny nice nearly fall day here...i was painting when my husband called and said the tower had been hit...i remember waving my paint brush in the air going ....who the hell couldnt see the tower...he told me just to go in and turn on the tv....i remember people so deep at the red cross center in johnson city that they turned people away....no more bags for the blood...one note most of the blood used for 9/11 survivors was from canada
Everything you wrote was fine and perfectly subjective. No argument.
BUT your "one note blood used for 9/11 survivors was from canada"

I would like to see some validation for that as I can't seem to find any links clearly stating what you said.
It is important to be aware many myths came from 9/11 and I'd like to have you prove that statement as it is important to correctly describe events.

I was at work and one of the supervisors had a TV over his desk on.

I watched people jumping out of the towers and a plane slam into one.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. First I felt sadness, then anger and outrage.

I watched people running for their lives.

One very, very sad day that cost the lives of over three thousand people.

I was in a pre-con meeting getting ready to kick off a new job. The tv was on and we were talking about the first tower coming down (second hadn’t been hit yet). My opinion was it very well could come down as it wouldn’t take much to get it started and it may even tip the top floors off instead of coming straight down. Either way the consensus was we’d all have left our desks by then and getting the hell away from that thing. Meeting starts and a few minutes later someone yells “Holy fuck!” We had the tv on but muted. We all turned as the second plane hit.

Needless to say the meeting ended. One guy was in the reserves? Maybe something else but he said he had to get to base and probably wouldn’t be back. I called my wife and told her to get home I’d pick up the boy. She had finally got the news at work and said many were leaving.

We all got home and like Mike checked our ammo stocks and made sure the guns were ready. For all of you asking him why? Because who knew who was behind it. We’re there going to be riots? Assholes taking advantage of the cops being preoccupied? Don’t know didn’t care. Stay away from my house.

So we sat home and watched tv after that. The strangest thing that hit me was the total lack of planes in the sky. Funny how we're so used to them it seems out of place when they’re gone.

Your memory is failing you. Both planes hit before the first tower fell.

I was on 90 West street. Across the street from the towers. I witnessed the whole thing

I had gone to Cox cable first thing in the morning because I was having trouble with my service at home. As I walked into the office there was a crowd of people gathered around a display area where there were about 10 big screen TV's hanging on the wall and tuned to the same channel.

Joining the crowd starring at the big screen's, I saw a large sky scraper building with a hole in the side and black smoke pouring out, and people were saying that an airplane had crashed into the building.

After watching the building belch black smoke for several minutes, I was about to walk away and go gripe at customer service about my cable problem. When all at once a large jet plane slammed into another building.

The whole crowd of people watching the TV's made a collective gasp, as a huge fireball shot out of the gapping hole the plane had disappeared into.

Then a man in the horrified crowd of people said, "Those bastards have done it again"!!

Last edited:
I was in a pre-con meeting getting ready to kick off a new job. The tv was on and we were talking about the first tower coming down (second hadn’t been hit yet). My opinion was it very well could come down as it would take much to get it started and it may even tip the top floors off instead of coming straight down. Either way the consensus was we’d all have left our desks by then and getting the hell away from that thing. Meeting starts and a few minutes later someone yells “Holy fuck!” We had the tv on but muted. We all turned as the second plane hit.

Needless to say the meeting ended. One guy was in the reserves? Maybe something else but he said he had to get to base and probably wouldn’t be back. I called my wife and told her to get home I’d pick up the boy. She had finally got the news at work and said many were leaving.

We all got home and like Mike checked our ammo stocks and made sure the guns were ready. For all of you asking him why? Because who knew who was behind it. We’re there going to be riots? Assholes taking advantage of the cops being preoccupied? Don’t know didn’t care. Stay away from my house.

So we sat home and watched tv after that. The strangest thing that hit me was the total lack of planes in the sky. Funny how we're so used to them it seems out of place when they’re gone.

You're right about that. It was kinda strange not to see contrails in the sky for the whole day.

But, it kinda reminded me of when I left Norfolk and transferred to the MEPS at Amarillo. Got used to all the military jets flying around, and when I got to Amarillo, they weren't flying around like I'd gotten used to. Was kinda strange for a week or two to only see commercial aircraft, because for the 20 years I was in, I'd lived next to some kind of base up until I was stationed at Amarillo.
It’s crazy what you can get used to. Had a buddy who was on a carrier. He said it would take a few days to get used to sleeping without jets launching or landing over head.

I was also on a carrier, and our berthing was under the arresting gear. Yep, you can get used to damn near anything. Know what was the one thing that would wake me up the quickest? Silence. If the ship goes silent, that generally means they have lost the load (power outage on the ship), and there is a chance that General Quarters could be soon because something got damaged.

Silence is the one thing on the ship that woke me the fastest, because you get used to all the noises of the hiss of steam, talk of people, clank of various systems, etc, and when they go quiet, you know immediately that something is wrong.

You are 100% correct! Want to wake up an entire berthing compartment instantly? Turn off the ventilation fan to sweep the decks!

I was in a pre-con meeting getting ready to kick off a new job. The tv was on and we were talking about the first tower coming down (second hadn’t been hit yet). My opinion was it very well could come down as it wouldn’t take much to get it started and it may even tip the top floors off instead of coming straight down. Either way the consensus was we’d all have left our desks by then and getting the hell away from that thing. Meeting starts and a few minutes later someone yells “Holy fuck!” We had the tv on but muted. We all turned as the second plane hit.

Your memory is failing you. Both planes hit before the first tower fell.

Your reading has failed you again, he did not say the building had fallen. The very next sentence is the key...” it very well could come down”.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I was a junior in high school sitting in film class. The teacher turned on the TV and we watched the second plane hit the tower. I was way too young and naive to understand the significance (I understood it was a great tradegy of course) but my thoughts are nothing like what my thoughts would be today at age 34.

I was driving to work when I heard about the first plane on the radio. My first thought was about an airplane that accidentally crashed into the Empire State Building in a heavy fog in the 1930s.

Once I was at work, someone shouted the second tower had been hit. I immediately screamed, "OSAMA BIN LADEN!!!"

I knew it was that bastard instantly.

I'm surprised you didn't blame it on Trump.

They blamed it on BOOOOSH!!!!
Trump wanted to impeach Bush for the Iraq War, and still says Bush lied about WMDs in Iraq.

Trump also went on CNN to call for us to cut and run from Iraq.

Meanwhile, all the people who defended Bush ("He kept us safe!" "Where's your flag pin, terrorist lover?") and said there were WMDs in Iraq are scarce on the ground these days. Pseudocons are the most cowardly people on Earth. They haven't the integrity to hold Trump accountable for his far left views during the recent Bush years.

I don’t know if I’d consider those far left views... I agree with those stances and agreed with them back then. I’ve never really been a lefty.

St. Pete, Fl. Watched it all happen on the cafeteria TV at work.

My boss was home that day because her daughter was ill. She was mad at me because I wasn’t at my desk from 9am to 10am.

I was like, “Uh, sorry, I was watching the towers collapse”

She had no idea because her daughter was watching cartoons.

She also yelled at me for “lying”to her that people were jumping out of the towers. Terrible boss,RIP.

Forum List

Back