On 9/11/01, 17 years ago where were you that day?

Rocko, those
I was on 90 West street. Across the street from the towers. I witnessed the whole thing
Rocko, those of us who watched live on TV probably had a better picture than you, being so close. But we didn't have the sounds and smells and cognitive horror you must have suffered as you wondered what was happening. We were all comfortable and safe in our shock. You must have been horrified. My sincere sympathy for the memories you carry.

On the morning of September 11, 2001, I got up with my wife and got the kids off to school and she left for work. I had taken the day off from teaching to take the GRE exam to enroll in my Master's program. I took a shower and had to answer my phone. My wife had walked into work and saw the first plane hit being shown on TV. I quickly changed the channel on my TV and saw the second plane hit a few minutes later.

My test was not until that afternoon, so I stayed glued to the TV most of the day. I lived in Jacksonville where there were three naval air stations at the time, two general aviation airports, and one international airport, and when driving t take my test there was not an aircraft of any kind to be seen.

When I had chosen to take the test, you had to repeatedly acknowledge that there would no changing the schedule for the test and no refunds given, so I went to the testing center. The staff was surprised I showed up, and told me that their office had called them and told them to reschedule anyone who wanted to do so because they had never anticipated anything like this affecting the entire nation.

I asked to take the test with the condition they let me know if anything significant happened while I was taking the exam. Fortunately, nothing did.

I remember staying up most of the night with the TV on, hoping and praying for the survivors as they were still being pulled from the Twin Towers and Pentagon.

Years later, I sometime sit and wonder at how my life and my kids were affected. My oldest, who was in high school at the time, worked for the TSA for three years. My middle child was in middle school at the the time, and he grew up and joined the Army, serving a tour in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban that harbored the 9/11 masterminds. My youngest was in elementary school that day and had just watched President Bush's motorcade pass her school the day before. Today, she is a First Lieutenant in the Army preparing for her first deployment to the Middle East to fight the same terrorist groups that caused 9/11.

When we moved to Kentucky in 2006, my daughters and I began volunteering as role players, helping to train various military units in urban combat scenarios. We have seen the best of our special operations troops come through there over the years.

So 9/11 is probably the most pivotal day in our lives and we should all remember those innocents who died at their work sites and on the aircraft, and we should also remember those brave firefighters, police officers and other first responders who gave their lives trying to save others.

Now 17 years later, we are still fighting terrorism, and radical Islam. We need to eradicate them from the face of the earth.

at work

walked into the office

and the receptionist said a plane hit the world trade center

it was on tv

watched the second one hit

that was pretty much it for work that day

because sat stunned watching the news

later in the day it was so strange not seeing aircraft in the air

or in the pattern around the airport

...in a headquarters mission planning for an upcoming op. All work stopped as we watched the aftermath of the 1st plane hitting the tower and watched as the 2nd plane hit. Not long after out phones started ringing, and we had to scramble to a briefing room for a sitrep. By the end of the next day I was packing bags to head to the ME.

The government has since effectively SENSORED the events of what happened that day, declaring - as if we are children who cannot be entrusted to deal with things like adults - they were going to withhold the footage from Americans, never letting us see it again.

IMO this was a MAJOR FOUL, a violation of the Constitution in itself - the censoring of the media / of information to the public.

That footage should be shown all the time, or at least quite often, to remind people of what happened, of what Islamic Extremism / Islamic Extremist Hatred looks like, to remind people that these people are still out there, are extremely patient, and are waiting for the opportunity to it or something far worse again.

The footage would also remind Americans, IMO, of how this attack brought us all together, how we were all one people, brothers and sisters....and remind us, as we look around today, how much our politicians and those among us who hate this country have worked so hard to successfully manipulate us through partisanship and hatred, dividing us to the point today where Americans call for violence and are spurred to violence against other Americans in the name of partisanship / political parties because hate and intolerance are being pushed for the benefit of individuals and parties.

On the verge of the anniversary of 9/11/01, for example, D-Maxine Waters continues to spew hatred, intolerance, and call for a supreme lack of civility, of hatred, & of harassment against others because of her own partisan hatred and intolerance of others' beliefs and ideology.

What she seeks to re-make the United States into through her actions is an attack on the memories of the 3,000 who died on 9/11/01 and on how close that tragedy brought us together. Politicians like her FEED on division, hatred, and intolerance. On the eve of the anniversary of 9/11/01, Americans need to reject embarrassing, unethical, immoral, intolerant hate-pushing, would-be emotional manipulators and dividers like Maxine Waters.

Instead, remember how close we all were on 9/12/01... Race, creed, sex, religion, political preference - it did not matter. We were all Americans, and that was what was important. We did not just tolerate each other....we came together as ONE!

You truly live in a world of your own construction. You are as delusional as they come. :cuckoo:

I was in a pre-con meeting getting ready to kick off a new job. The tv was on and we were talking about the first tower coming down (second hadn’t been hit yet).
Your memory is faulty.

The North tower was hit, then the South tower was hit about 20 minutes later. Then about an hour later, the South tower came down, followed by the North tower a half hour after that.

Both towers had been hit before either of them fell.

Not faulty. Just dumb as shit.

It is amazing how snowflakes are more worried about insulting Islamic Extremist Terrorists who would love to behead them or fly their asses into buildings as well, than they are concerned about honoring Americans.
Horse hockey!

Every one of us here mourned for the folks in the towers and the Pentagon who died. That is total nonsense.
I am not saying you did not, OL. I was referring to the idea we are degrading Muslims by remembering and honoring our dead. THAT is hogwash!
I had this discussion a few days ago, too. The problem is when people use 9/11 as an excuse to stir up hatred and bigotry against Muslims and use it to push the agenda of locking Muslims out of the US. We have very movingly remembered the dead with the 9/11 memorial and museum. The tv will be airing 9/11 documentaries all evening. We've already had two threads to remember it, and it's only 9/10.
None of us will forget and our government is not letting down its guard against terrorists. I do not want to see a day of remembrance for the dead to turn into a rabid right wing hate fest. I am not saying you want to do that, but some do. Don't play into it.
Some may use it to stir up hatred and bigotry, SPEECH which is protected by the 1st Amendment. That is no reason to censor the truth / everyone else.
I must have missed something. I don't see anyone yanking this thread or screaming at you to shut up. So carry on and drop the paranoid routine.
What paranoia?

Do the scenes from 9/11/01 get shown on tv anymore?

No.

Why?

Because 'Big Brother' has decided to withhold it from us - to Censor it - because they have decided we ALL must be 'snowflakes' - easily offended children who can not handle the memory of the largest attack on the US on US soil.

They have decided reminding the world what Islamic Extremists did to America might offend Islamic Terrorist and their supporters.

They have decided FOR US that there are some facts, information, lessons that must be kept from us.

They are afraid seeing it again will make Americans mad.

They are damned right...and we should still get angry...and be diligent and intolerant of ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS and those who supported / support them.

Controlling information and the people's access to it is NOT what this country is supposed to be about.
WTF are you talking about?
You seriously need to seek some professional help.

Hmm....a quick look at the programming guide on my television revealed no less than six programs airing in this hour alone devoted to 9/11.
Many more throughout the day.

I am a Canadian.

On September 11th, 2001 I was halfway thru on my second L-1B visa, on loan to the Head office our company in Akron, Ohio.

On that morning, the thing that is seared in my memory is that one of my colleagues said: "They are attacking our country!"

At that moment I felt the hurt. At that moment I was American.

I was working on a luxury bicycling tour in the south of France, sitting by the side of the road in a sag wagon, waiting for my group to climb a steep hill on their way to our chateau in Les Baux de Provence. The French radio reported the crash, then crashes. I realized this was gravely serious, but just told the clients to check the news when they arrived at their destination. Most of them had flown in from North America for the tour. We quickly saw that they would not be flying home at the end of the week.
My wife was in the U.S. visiting her sick father. I thought a world war had started, and wondered if it might be years before I saw her again.

Last edited:
I am not saying you did not, OL. I was referring to the idea we are degrading Muslims by remembering and honoring our dead. THAT is hogwash!
I had this discussion a few days ago, too. The problem is when people use 9/11 as an excuse to stir up hatred and bigotry against Muslims and use it to push the agenda of locking Muslims out of the US. We have very movingly remembered the dead with the 9/11 memorial and museum. The tv will be airing 9/11 documentaries all evening. We've already had two threads to remember it, and it's only 9/10.
None of us will forget and our government is not letting down its guard against terrorists. I do not want to see a day of remembrance for the dead to turn into a rabid right wing hate fest. I am not saying you want to do that, but some do. Don't play into it.
Some may use it to stir up hatred and bigotry, SPEECH which is protected by the 1st Amendment. That is no reason to censor the truth / everyone else.
I must have missed something. I don't see anyone yanking this thread or screaming at you to shut up. So carry on and drop the paranoid routine.
What paranoia?

No.

Why?

Because 'Big Brother' has decided to withhold it from us - to Censor it - because they have decided we ALL must be 'snowflakes' - easily offended children who can not handle the memory of the largest attack on the US on US soil.

They have decided reminding the world what Islamic Extremists did to America might offend Islamic Terrorist and their supporters.

They have decided FOR US that there are some facts, information, lessons that must be kept from us.

They are damned right...and we should still get angry...and be diligent and intolerant of ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS and those who supported / support them.

Controlling information and the people's access to it is NOT what this country is supposed to be about.

Hmm....a quick look at the programming guide on my television revealed no less than six programs airing in this hour alone devoted to 9/11.
LET ME KNOW IF THEY SHOW THE PLANES HITTING THE TOWERS. THAT has pretty much been deemed off limits. The shows will have memorials, etc......I will be SHOCKED if they are allowed to show that.

What paranoia?

No.

Why?

LET ME KNOW IF THEY SHOW THE PLANES HITTING THE TOWERS. THAT has pretty much been deemed off limits. The shows will have memorials, etc......I will be SHOCKED if they are allowed to show that.

It hasnt, dope. I've already seen it more than once today.

In the future, if you're planning to lie, I suggest choosing a lie that is not so easily dismissed.

What paranoia?

No.

Why?

In the future, if you're planning to lie, I suggest choosing a lie that is not so easily dismissed.
No lie here, dude. I have not seen the images for a LONG time. I was told it could not be shown on TV because it would 'make people angry'. The fact that you say you have seen it - thanks for the info. That's news to me.

What paranoia?

No.

Why?

No lie here, dude. I have not seen the images for a LONG time. I was told it could not be shown on TV because it would 'make people angry'. The fact that you say you have seen it - thanks for the info. That's news to me.

Such a loser.

Such a loser.
So not seeing the images displayed on TV and being told by someone who works for a TV station that they do not show it / can't show it because it will 'make people angry' makes me a 'loser'? Spoken like a true hate-filled snowflake.....

Such a loser.
So not seeing the images displayed on TV and being told by someone who works for a TV station that they do not show it / can't show it because it will 'make people angry' makes me a 'loser'? Spoken like a true hate-filled snowflake.....

No.
Lying as you do makes you a loser.
Much like your accusations against Trump, you can not support yours now. All you have, as usual, is opinion and hate. Poor sad, bitter snowflake...

What paranoia?

No.

Why?

Put down the crack pipe, son.

Forum List

Back