One Sugar-Sweetened Soda A Day Boosts Diabetes Risk

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Alexandra SifferlinApril 25, 2013

As a Type-II Diabetic, I urge you to pass this one to everyone you know and do your best to get your kids to understand this. Having to stick myself 2 to 3 times a day to check my blood sugar level and then sticking a needle into me 5 or times a day isn't fun!

All it takes is one can of soda to increase risk of type 2 diabetes by 22%, according to a new study.

In the study published in Diabetologia, researchers studied diet and drinking habits of about 28,500 people from Britain, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Sweden, France, Italy, and the Netherlands over a period of 15 years.

Read more: One Sugar-Sweetened Soda A Day Boosts Diabetes Risk | TIME.com

How many candy bars, cupcakes, cookies, sugar sweetened gum, fruit juice?

That's the problem with trying to choose one bad guy, there are so many.

I can't argue with that.

I see some people putting five or six packets of sugar in the coffee or tea when artificial sweeteners could do the same. And, there are lots of low sugar and no sugar treats that taste example the same.

Why don't we let people decide for themselves as opposed to the nanny State nonsense.

Why don't we let people decide for themselves as opposed to the nanny State nonsense.

Nobody is proposing government control here. I simply posted this for the purpose of informing you all of the study and the risks it found.

I completely support the right of each individual to make his or her own decisions.

I grew up eating all the junk food I could eat and when I joined the Service I was 6', 155lbs. It wasn't until after Aspartame was introduced that I started having weight problems.

Two years now without artificial sweeteners and my weight has returned to normal.

ahoy Tjvh,

well met, matey.

people be free to decide fer themselves, but when they've gorged themselves on a lifetime 'o corn syrup and arrive at Medicare and Medicaid, i'd rather not be billed fer thar lifetime 'o excess.

they can eat whatever they please, as long as they get off 'o thar taxpayer provided Government entitlements.

imagine the cost to the nation if we had a bunch 'o Chris Christie sized senior citizens?

wouldn't that be a bad thing fer our debt?

*salutes*

- MeadHallPirate

I'm convinced the big problem is high fructose corn syrup. Industry started using it years ago after generations of cane sugar.

Nobody is proposing government control here. I simply posted this for the purpose of informing you all of the study and the risks it found.

I completely support the right of each individual to make his or her own decisions.

I agree. Also, if someone gets up off their butt and walks outside for 20 minutes, they will burn off the calories contained in that can of soda.
Physical exercise helps you burn off calories, lose weight and maintain long-term control over your weight. Walking is a cheap and easy exercise. According to the Harvard Medical School, it can have a positive impact on your health and well being. The number of calories you burn depends on several factors. These include your weight, the speed you walk at and the time you spend walking. If you weigh 185 lbs. and walk 3.5 mph for 30 minutes, you will burn off 178 calories. This figure equates to burning 6 calories every minute.4 MPH If you weigh 155 lbs. and walk at 4 mph, or one mile every 15 minutes, you'll burn 167 calories every half hour. This equates to 5.5 calories every minute.

ONE, a single, only, sugar sweetened drink a day won't hurt anyone. It's ridiculous to think otherwise and the totality of one's diet has no effect. It's like saying ONE carrot a day will give you perfect eyesight.

I can't argue with that.

I see some people putting five or six packets of sugar in the coffee or tea when artificial sweeteners could do the same. And, there are lots of low sugar and no sugar treats that taste example the same.

They're worse for you than sugar.

Moderation is key. 80% healthy eating; 20% 'indulgences'; move your body. Everyday.

Artificial sweetners are poison. Do NOT use them.

But certainly I agree that we eat too much cane or corn sugar.

By Alexandra SifferlinApril 25, 2013

As a Type-II Diabetic, I urge you to pass this one to everyone you know and do your best to get your kids to understand this. Having to stick myself 2 to 3 times a day to check my blood sugar level and then sticking a needle into me 5 or times a day isn't fun!

All it takes is one can of soda to increase risk of type 2 diabetes by 22%, according to a new study.

In the study published in Diabetologia, researchers studied diet and drinking habits of about 28,500 people from Britain, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Sweden, France, Italy, and the Netherlands over a period of 15 years.

Read more: One Sugar-Sweetened Soda A Day Boosts Diabetes Risk | TIME.com

Two years ago I was diagnosed with type II and hospitalized for 4 days , put on insulin shots and metformin pills, since then change my diet , no refined processed foods , no sugar, lost 50 lbs . Now off insulin and only one metformin pill a day. with an AC1 of 6.0 from AC1 of 14

Some people can smoke, drink & eat junk-food daily & live a long & healthy life. It could be the medical system has been saving the lives of genetically deficient people allowing their weak genetic offspring to infect larger parts of the population.

Some people can smoke, drink & eat junk-food daily & live a long & healthy life. It could be the medical system has been saving the lives of genetically deficient people allowing their weak genetic offspring to infect larger parts of the population.

Yes science has keep a lot of rightwing Christians alive through science:eek:

I grew up eating all the junk food I could eat and when I joined the Service I was 6', 155lbs. It wasn't until after Aspartame was introduced that I started having weight problems.

Two years now without artificial sweeteners and my weight has returned to normal.

Those artificial sweeteners are no good. I also am not a big believer in HFCS. Regular sugar is fine in moderation. The problem too many people have is that they just eat too many sugary things and consume too many carbs and drink too many sugary drinks. I limit the amount of junk food I buy because my kids think a snack is a bag of chips, a big bag, or a carton of ice cream.

A couple of years ago, I started gaining weight. I had always been thin, but my weight went from 130 to 154 in about two years. At that time, I also decided to stop smoking, so I was bound to see my weight increase even more. I was becoming my father. He gained 70 pounds in two years when he was in his late 40's. After I quit smoking, I cut out all soda and my flavored coffee creamers. I figured that combined that amounted to 4500 extra calories per week. That was based on drinking a couple of Mountain Dews per day and putting the flavored creamer in my coffee everyday. Besides that, I started working out and running. Within three months I dropped seventeen pounds while my food intake actually increased dramatically due to working out.

If you just consider that cutting out two 20 oz soda's cuts out between 3500 to 4000 calories per week, that is equal to one pound per week.

I wonder how many tax dollars were spent to come up with a captain obvious conclusion.

I can't argue with that.

This is a good thread, but recommending artificial sweeteners is not the way to go. They are worse for you than sugar.

Forum List

Back