Oregon raises min wage

Union contracts are tied to minimum wage. That's what's really going on. The Democrat party doesn't give a flying fuck what happens to minimum wage earners. If they end up unemployed and dependent on government, the Democrats see that as a win.

As I understand it Portland and Salem dictate Oregon politics. A very liberal society along that I5 corridor. Friends living in southern Oregon would love to join with northern California and create their own state of Jefferson. As the show say's a great place for young people go to retire young. Truly Californiated.

And to answer the OP's question... Yes, the usual suspects will screech the same 'Sky is Falling' Bullshite they've always screeched when it's proposed we take care of our struggling workers a little better.

And as usual, the sky won't fall. Oregon took a bold step here. Oregonians should be very proud. Now it's time for the rest of the country to follow suit.

Not so fast. Give it about five to ten years to see the ramifications of this huge increase. Then decide if that's what we want all across the country. Why do you think they phase these increases slowly? If it's so great, why not just increase minimum wage all at once?

I'll leave you to think about that one for a while.

Why wait "five to ten years to see the ramifications" many states have had a higher minimum wage for years and years...
If you ever wondered why Southern States' economies are worse than the rest of the country, the below map exposes one of the reasons.

There is a difference between slightly higher and greatly higher.

A business may not move out of a state because their minimum wage is 30 cents an hour more than the national minimum wage. They may consider it if it's double the national minimum wage, and certainly consider it before moving to a state that has such outrageous rates.

As a local truck driver, I've witnessed customer after customer loss because of unions. They either moved out of the state or country. A couple of them even begged the unions to back down because they could't compete with international businesses, but the unions told them to go F themselves. They were willing to risk losing the jobs instead of backing down to keep them for their union workers.

Moving a business is expensive, and the business has to calculate if it's to their financial advantage to do so. They are not going to uproot and move to save a couple thousand a year. They will move when they could save tens of thousands per year.

As I understand it Portland and Salem dictate Oregon politics. A very liberal society along that I5 corridor. Friends living in southern Oregon would love to join with northern California and create their own state of Jefferson. As the show say's a great place for young people go to retire young. Truly Californiated.

I enjoy watching HGTV. I like the renovations to homes and the shows that have people buying homes.

When I first started watching the channel, I was floored at what homes cost in liberal states--especially in the New England areas. Some of the homes there that normally go for around $200,000 here are well over a half-million dollars there.

A few years ago I had a kid that wanted to go to school here and was looking for an apartment. He was from New York state. I usually charge between $500--$600 for an apartment depending on what apartment is for rent.

He told me that if I could magically take my property--move it to NYC or nearby, I could easily get $1,800 per rental unit, and I would have people beating down my door to get one.

The cost of living in liberal areas is out of this world. It's like my father always told me: it's not what you make, it's what you can keep. People in the south or in Republican areas may make much less in wages, but our costs are also much less as well.

Great move OR... now the STUPID BURGER FLIPPING CLASS of people in your state will make more money than most people graduating college, great move, I'm sure businesses will be flocking to OR any time now...
What is the "burger flipping class?"
Make more money then people graduating college? Evidence please.

Great move OR... now the STUPID BURGER FLIPPING CLASS of people in your state will make more money than most people graduating college, great move, I'm sure businesses will be flocking to OR any time now...

Let me know when McDonalds pulls out of Oregon.

McDonald's is not going anywhere, they are busy creating automated restaurants that will allow them to reduce their workforce.
Evidence please.

Cities or states can enact huge minimum wages, but if this goes federal then we're in trouble.
A federal minimum would indeed be a bad idea if set to something as high as $15, but people always want to see a wage increase as negative regardless of the benefits it brings. Giving low wage workers a slightly higher wage increases demand and allows them to spend, helping the economy, and helping us.

I live here in Oregon, and this is just the latest reason why if I were looking to start a new business, I wouldn't do it here. Especially in the Portland or Eugene area. If their regulations haven't killed your business already, this latest salvo might do it.
Because you have to pay a worker a wage you would want to live with? Wow heck of a person you are....guess we can thank goodness you won't be starting a business then.

Maybe, but many others do want to start a business and will surly avoid that state. Who can blame them? Why do you think we lost most of our manufacturing to foreign entities? That's right, wages and regulations.

So I own Ray's Widget company, and I'm looking to expand my operations in the US. I am going to employ about 500 people. Do I move to a state where they use the federal minimum wage, or do I move to a place like Oregon where it's going to cost me an extra couple of million for wages and benefits?

The choice is pretty simple, especially if I have stock holders to keep happy.
People say businesses are leaving california because of taxes and regulations. This is completely false, but people still peddle it. What makes you think people will avoid this state? The loss of manufacturing has nothing to do with wages and regulations, this is neo liberal revisionism that has harmed our economy.

And to answer the OP's question... Yes, the usual suspects will screech the same 'Sky is Falling' Bullshite they've always screeched when it's proposed we take care of our struggling workers a little better.

And as usual, the sky won't fall. Oregon took a bold step here. Oregonians should be very proud. Now it's time for the rest of the country to follow suit.

Not so fast. Give it about five to ten years to see the ramifications of this huge increase. Then decide if that's what we want all across the country. Why do you think they phase these increases slowly? If it's so great, why not just increase minimum wage all at once?

What ramifications? People drastically increasing their spending and benefiting the economy? Less people collecting federal benefits?

The only ones who don't wanna help our struggling workers out, are the same ole greedy hateful white Republican dudes. And their numbers are dwindling. Their influence is waning.

Only in your mind. I guess you must have fallen asleep when the Republicans first took over Congress, then later expanded their majority while at the same time, taking over the Senate and Governorships across the country.

Politicians are not supposed to help the struggling worker out. Politicians are supposed to govern. The people that are supposed to help the struggling worker out are the struggling workers. It is they that need to learn a skill or get an education. It is they that need to try harder at the job they have. It is they who have to stop having children before they can afford them.

When minimum wage goes up drastically, all wages increase. Then those people you supposedly helped are right back where they started from because yes, they are making more money, but everything else around them costs more as well. Within a few years, it's a zero sum gain.

I just don't get how you people can't understand this simple concept. It's the same thing that happened during the big union days. Now where are jobs today? They are in foreign countries.
Politicians are not supposed to help the struggling worker out. Politicians are supposed to govern.
What do you think "governing" is?

The only ones who don't wanna help our struggling workers out, are the same ole greedy hateful white Republican dudes. And their numbers are dwindling. Their influence is waning.

Meanwhile who controls Congress?

They know their influence is waning. The pitchforks are out. They don't have the balls to stand up there and say they aren't willing to help struggling American Workers out. Like to see em try it though. We'll see what it gets em.

I've been hearing that shit since I've been on forums, roughly 11 years, get some new material and stop listening to MSNBC and reading StinkProgress

Meanwhile who controls Congress?

They know their influence is waning. The pitchforks are out. They don't have the balls to stand up there and say they aren't willing to help struggling American Workers out. Like to see em try it though. We'll see what it gets em.

I've been hearing that shit since I've been on forums, roughly 11 years, get some new material and stop listening to MSNBC and reading StinkProgress

The Minimum Wage issue will come to a head eventually. And i really don't think the greedy Republican folks in Congress have the balls to tell American Workers to go to hell. I would think they know better.

Let me fill you in on some information here:

Minimum wage workers in the US are about 3% of our workforce. Most of them are retirees looking for something to do or for extra money while others are under the voting age or in college earning extra money.

Nobody would be hurt in Congress by refusing to increase minimum wage. Much like your fantasy about Republicans nearing their end, it doesn't exist except in your mind.
That 3% workforce statistic refers to those at the bare minimum of $7.25 if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't include people at $7.45, $8.50, etc.. All who will benefit greatly. Most are not retirees and students, You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Even if they were, so what? Giving students and retirees more spending power helps the economy, especially when demand is low.

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40

Oh, not going along with the Fascist Republican Party, by no means is an endorsement of the Communist Democratic Party. I now view the sad situation this way...

Republican Party = Nazi Party

Democrat Party = Communist Party

Sadly, those are the choices for Americans. It is what it is.
Yeah, I've often said that I shudder when I hear repubs talking about social issues and shudder when I hear dems talking about fiscal issues. And I'll say the same, by no means is that an endorsement of the opposites.

It's funny though, two of my best friends are die hard dems, both work at universities. We agree on what the problems are 90-95% of the time, same with what we want for this country. On how to get there not so much.

I hear ya, very wise observations. I just can't go with where the Republican Party is these days. It's become such a hateful Fascist Party. All that pushing for a Police State and WWIII. All that hating on the poor least fortunate among us. I'm done with that. I won't support it. I've left the Party.
Again I don't see the dems as any better. They're doing a pretty solid job pushing for WWIII as we speak. And the far left gets more "fascist" by the day. I heard a women on NPR not to long ago say there are no liberals left. It's now the "rigid left".

I also understand some of the anger. We watch the dems refusing to enforce immigration laws and then find ourselves competing with companies hiring them. More than once I've heard small business people say the only way to compete in this country is to get rid of the americans. Tends to tick people off.

Can't really disagree with ya much. But this fanatical push for a Police State and WWIII seems to be coming from the Republican Party more so at this point. It alowed the Neocon (Nazi) religious zealots to hijack the Party. Those folks are madmen. They really do want their Police State and WWIII. I can't go along.

What can define more of a police state than the government forcing industry to pay people what they deem necessary? Shouldn't that be up to the business owner and not the government?
LOL. The government has the ability to control the economy, and they should. They are the ones that add dollars.

Oregon lawmakers approve landmark minimum wage increase

I wonder if the same idiots that whine now about the min wage sound like the idiots that whined the apocalypse was going to happen when it was raised to its current wage.....anyways good for Oregon residents,maybe now they can make ends meet a little better.
Company's will start moving out of Oregon and reconsider moving there...
Of they will move, can't afford labor costs...

Oregon lawmakers approve landmark minimum wage increase

I wonder if the same idiots that whine now about the min wage sound like the idiots that whined the apocalypse was going to happen when it was raised to its current wage.....anyways good for Oregon residents,maybe now they can make ends meet a little better.
Good intentions pave the way to hell. And violate the laws of unintended consequences.
These artificially mandated increases in the cost of unskilled labor will have a chilling effect on the ability of no skill and low skill worker's ability to find employment.
Not only that, people farther up the income scale will now demand their wages be increased to offset the now shrunken gap between themselves and their less skilled co workers....
Good luck!!!!

Was in a convenience store in a transportation terminal not long ago.

There were a half dozen automated checkouts and NONE attended.

There was one (1, libs) person in the store. A uniformed guy at the door checking packages to be sure the contents had been paid for.

If you didn't want to use the machine? Leave.

I questioned that and was told by a regional supervisor for the chain that they indeed have a problem with people leaving goods unpaid at the terminals and walking out empty handed. However month-to-month sale decline is only about 10% of the saving they have made by laying off all their former clerks and paying a rent-a-cop agency to supply the guy at the door.

Somebody must be stocking the shelves so it's not an entirely free game.

Somebody cleans, I think, but can't prove that......

It DOES help that it's the only convenience store in the terminal so the customers are sorta captive.

Yeah, I've often said that I shudder when I hear repubs talking about social issues and shudder when I hear dems talking about fiscal issues. And I'll say the same, by no means is that an endorsement of the opposites.

It's funny though, two of my best friends are die hard dems, both work at universities. We agree on what the problems are 90-95% of the time, same with what we want for this country. On how to get there not so much.

I hear ya, very wise observations. I just can't go with where the Republican Party is these days. It's become such a hateful Fascist Party. All that pushing for a Police State and WWIII. All that hating on the poor least fortunate among us. I'm done with that. I won't support it. I've left the Party.
Again I don't see the dems as any better. They're doing a pretty solid job pushing for WWIII as we speak. And the far left gets more "fascist" by the day. I heard a women on NPR not to long ago say there are no liberals left. It's now the "rigid left".

I also understand some of the anger. We watch the dems refusing to enforce immigration laws and then find ourselves competing with companies hiring them. More than once I've heard small business people say the only way to compete in this country is to get rid of the americans. Tends to tick people off.

Can't really disagree with ya much. But this fanatical push for a Police State and WWIII seems to be coming from the Republican Party more so at this point. It alowed the Neocon (Nazi) religious zealots to hijack the Party. Those folks are madmen. They really do want their Police State and WWIII. I can't go along.

What can define more of a police state than the government forcing industry to pay people what they deem necessary? Shouldn't that be up to the business owner and not the government?
LOL. The government has the ability to control the economy, and they should. They are the ones that add dollars.
Say what?.....
Every time government interferes in the normal market forces, the result is never good.
In fact, it usually results in suffering

Let me know when McDonalds pulls out of Oregon.
Don't think for a second most employers of low skill workers haven't been working on plans to combat this or get around the law.
They will .
BTW, prices WILL rise....They must. Employers are not going to sit idly by while their profit margins are gobbled up by overly benevolent government

Forum List

Back