Our Government Has Forgotten Its Place

well-regulated...

Hence the standing army which, if we're going to give the Constitution eyes, is clearly what the framers meant.

But if we're strictly reading the Constitution, to keep and bear arms, you need to be part of this "well regulated" militia; drilling regularly, deployed frequently as part of the training, willing to drop everything and go where the duly elected President and Congess send you...

Does that sound like anyone here? Obviously not. I know of none who dropped everything and enlisted...not a lot of WiFi in Khandahar I suppose.

You're stuck in the big govt knows better than you do and will provide

State Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms Provisions

Just strictly reading the constitution. "Well-regulated militia" is in the 2nd Amendment....is it not?

If you want to keep and bear arms, you're supposed to be part of a "well regulated militia". Sorry, that's what it says.

I have no problem with that... Except when your country needs you and you're part of this militia, you decide that you're too busy cashing checks to go to Khandahar or Bosnia.

Then I suggest you look up the definition of "militia". Here it is for you as you seem incapable of doing simple research.

2: the whole body of able-bodied male citizens declared by law as being subject to call to military service.

Militia - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It has become clearly evident that our government has forgotten its place in America. For reasons beyond my comprehension, our government now sees itself as the final authority on just about everything. If you want to get married, you have to ask the government first. You want a gun? You have to ask the government first. If you want to protest peacefully, you have to ask the government for a permit. If you are an 8 year old so much as wanting to sell lemonade on the street corner, you need to ask the government for permission.

Not only that, it wants to take over your personal choices as well. Why? Because it believes that it can do a better job than you at making your own choices in life. Even the very freedom to make a choice has been commandeered by our government. Look no further for an example this than the implementation of Obamacare. Government has become too large, too all encompassing for its own good. It has attempted to regulate the auto industry, and failed. It is trying to regulate our healthcare system, and once again failing. In fact, it is trying to regulate religion via the abortion mandate.

Nobody can be secure in their own privacy, no thanks to government. As evidenced by the NSA not even the contents of our phone conversations are secure. It has become more invasive, more imposing than ever before. Our politicians are unable and unwilling to cull its growth. Democrats will say "Oh, we need government, without government there is anarchy!" I would agree, if not only for the fact that we already have too much of it. Yes, we need government, but to what extent? With too much government there can only be tyranny, oppression, and undue advancement on our freedom.

Our rights as citizens are slowly diminishing in America, and Government is to blame. It has gone beyond its constitutional bounds. It doesn't matter who is president or what party is in power. The government has too much power. For those of you who believe our government cares about the people, nothing could be further from the truth. If they actually did, they would strive to protect the rights of its citizens, not usurp them on a constant basis. Government seeks to control you, from cradle to grave. Like a Leviathan in the waters, it lies in wait to consume the unsuspecting, and exact terrible vengeance on those who dare to stand against it. This, my friends, is how our government has forgotten it's place.

We The People built this government, and it's high time government understood its place once again.

I feel you frustration and sympathize,

My ONLY complaint is that you imagine that this is something new.

It isn't.

It’s not that this ‘isn’t new,’ it’s that this is a non-issue.

The OP, and those who agree with him, makes the mistake of perceiving 'the government' and 'the people' as two separate and distinct entities.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The people and the government are one in the same; the government acts at the behest of the people, where the people are solely responsible for the good - or bad - government they get.

op- remain calm, fear mongered hater dupes....Obama has done nothing but add oversight to secret Bush programs, everything will be alright- the USA is still the greatest, and the crazy TP is about to disappear, along with its lying hateful,charlatans...And the NEXT pub Great Depression is now 75 years away, AGAIN.

It has become clearly evident that our government has forgotten its place in America. For reasons beyond my comprehension, our government now sees itself as the final authority on just about everything. If you want to get married, you have to ask the government first. You want a gun? You have to ask the government first. If you want to protest peacefully, you have to ask the government for a permit. If you are an 8 year old so much as wanting to sell lemonade on the street corner, you need to ask the government for permission.

Not only that, it wants to take over your personal choices as well. Why? Because it believes that it can do a better job than you at making your own choices in life. Even the very freedom to make a choice has been commandeered by our government. Look no further for an example this than the implementation of Obamacare. Government has become too large, too all encompassing for its own good. It has attempted to regulate the auto industry, and failed. It is trying to regulate our healthcare system, and once again failing. In fact, it is trying to regulate religion via the abortion mandate.

Nobody can be secure in their own privacy, no thanks to government. As evidenced by the NSA not even the contents of our phone conversations are secure. It has become more invasive, more imposing than ever before. Our politicians are unable and unwilling to cull its growth. Democrats will say "Oh, we need government, without government there is anarchy!" I would agree, if not only for the fact that we already have too much of it. Yes, we need government, but to what extent? With too much government there can only be tyranny, oppression, and undue advancement on our freedom.

Our rights as citizens are slowly diminishing in America, and Government is to blame. It has gone beyond its constitutional bounds. It doesn't matter who is president or what party is in power. The government has too much power. For those of you who believe our government cares about the people, nothing could be further from the truth. If they actually did, they would strive to protect the rights of its citizens, not usurp them on a constant basis. Government seeks to control you, from cradle to grave. Like a Leviathan in the waters, it lies in wait to consume the unsuspecting, and exact terrible vengeance on those who dare to stand against it. This, my friends, is how our government has forgotten it's place.

We The People built this government, and it's high time government understood its place once again.

It isn't.

It may not be new, but that doesn't stop us from resisting it. There is no reason a person should allow a group of bureaucrats and politicians to have free reign over the people they are supposed to be subservient to.

It isn't.

The OP, and those who agree with him, makes the mistake of perceiving 'the government' and 'the people' as two separate and distinct entities.

The people and the government are one in the same; the government acts at the behest of the people, where the people are solely responsible for the good - or bad - government they get.

The people and the government are two separate entities. If hey were the same it would be impossible for a governmenet to oppress the people. There would be no need to use force and compulsion. If they were one and the same, then the government would be redundant and unnecessary.

We may be limited on what we can do to change the course of the government, but what we can do is change the hearts and minds of the people to remind them their place.

I have to ask Tampon, just how much interaction is he having with government on a daily basis, because the way he is carrying on, you'd think there's a guy in a trenchcoat outside his house monitoring him.

Frankly, other than paying taxes once a year, or the occassional traffic stop, my interaction with the government is pretty limited, and I think that applies to most people. Most of what government does is provide services quietly.

Now, yeah, what the NSA is doing is pretty out of hand and wasteful, because it accomplished nothing, and Obama needed to fix it a long time ago.

But I worry a lot more about a loon like Templar with a gun and without medication than I do the government.

This post makes my mouth water.

I have to ask Tampon, just how much interaction is he having with government on a daily basis, because the way he is carrying on, you'd think there's a guy in a trenchcoat outside his house monitoring him.

"Tampon." How cute.

First, your penchant for hyperbole is almost legendary here. There doesn't need to be some guy in a trench coat monitoring me. When the government taxes me, I'm interacting with it. When I file for income tax, I'm interacting with it. When my government passes a law, it affects me. On a daily basis I live under the rule of law, which has been enacted by previous versions of the same government. Moving on.

Frankly, other than paying taxes once a year, or the occassional traffic stop, my interaction with the government is pretty limited, and I think that applies to most people. Most of what government does is provide services quietly.

Likewise, your penchant for understatement is also legendary. Frankly, your idea of government is fairly naive. You're intentionally downplaying the role the government is playing in your life. Let me repeat myself: When you're taxed, you're interacting with your government. When you live under the rule of law, that's interaction and subservience to government. Given that you've had a long career, you've paid taxes more than once a year. Your wages are taxed, meaning each paycheck you got was taxed, whether you liked it or not. That's government. Like a program running in the background on my computer, the government runs in the background in your life. There also comes a time when it takes more active roles, namely dictating marriage, commerce, free speech, self defense and the like. Government does not "provide services quietly." Read what Marcus Tullius Cicero had to say about government.

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt, the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence."

-OR-

"The administration of government, like a guardianship ought to be directed to the good of those who confer, not of those who receive the trust."

Now, yeah, what the NSA is doing is pretty out of hand and wasteful, because it accomplished nothing, and Obama needed to fix it a long time ago.

Obama didn't fix it. He built upon it. He EXTENDED the Patriot Act. So no need to sugarcoat it, JoeBlow.

But I worry a lot more about a loon like Templar with a gun and without medication than I do the government.

I worry should someone with your mindset ever taking a leadership role in this government. If they do. We would be truly doomed.

Last edited:
Ame®icano;8473734 said:
I wish they would strictly interpret the 2nd amendment and leave guns to the militia only. Somehow, that would be government over-reach as well.

Some truth in what TK said but only in the broadest possible sense.

And where exactly in 2nd amendment is written to leave guns to militia only?

It doesn’t.

Nor does the Second Amendment make any reference to a right to self-defense or the right of an individual to own a handgun pursuant to the right of self-defense.

But both are there because the Supreme Court says both are there, a consequence of the Court’s authority to interpret what the Constitution means in the context of the doctrine of judicial review.

The problem is most on the right are inconsistent with this doctrine, where they reject the Court’s interpretive authority concerning things they disagree with, such as privacy rights or public accommodations laws, and support the Court’s interpretive authority concerning things they approve of, such as a right to self-defense and the right of an individual to own a handgun pursuant to the right of self-defense; conservatives can’t have it both ways.

Ame®icano;8473805 said:
You're so right. It's absolute drivel. Nothing new at all. The government has been and does regulate a great deal. He mentions no new regulations whatsoever, though some may be somewhat different than before. And little kids do not need government permission to sell lemonade in their front yard. As well, the govenment is not regulating religion via legalized abortion. If you don't want an abortion, the government is not going to make you get one. Yep, 7th grade level drivel.

Interesting... liberals have no problem with government regulations only when government regulating other then liberal agenda.

Jerkoff....you are reading shit that is not there. My comment was on the juvenile writing style.

I have a pet peeve. When people write things in a childish manner and present it as though it is some kind of scholarly theseis.

The OP is BELOW GRADE LEVEL for adult Americans who are self described politicos. It is embarrassing.

True.

And this would be typical of most conservatives and libertarians, their replies to this thread are proof of that.

Government intrusion doesn't bother the unaware, but Big Brother, indeed, is everywhere. For example, Under the Contract Clause (Article I, section 10), no state shall pass a "Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts," but in 1934, the Supreme Court began allowing states to interfere in contractual obligations. In Home Building & Loan Association v. Blaisdell, the Court held that a Minnesota law prohibiting banks from foreclosing mortgages that were in default did not violate the Constitution. Since then, the government's been injecting itself routinely in private contracts, a glaring example being its interference in employer/employee contracts. Surely you have a job or have had one.

Contractual violations barely scratch the surface of the government's extra-Constitutional intrusions. With minimal research, even skeptics like you should find more.

The government even monitors what we eat and drink (did you know it even restricts the amount of sugar ketchup makers can add to their product? You want your ketchup a little sweeter? Too bad. Uncle Sam says no.).

Organ donations, inflation, property ownership, self defense, who we sleep with, even whether we can go to Canada for experimental drugs. On and on. Government monitors or controls so much in our lives - and so much that is unconstitutional. If you don't know these things, you really do have your head in the sand.
And why people haven't raised holy Hell against the intrusions is beyond me.

Likely because most everything is beyond you.

Government intrusion doesn't bother the unaware, but Big Brother, indeed, is everywhere. For example, Under the Contract Clause (Article I, section 10), no state shall pass a "Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts," but in 1934, the Supreme Court began allowing states to interfere in contractual obligations. In Home Building & Loan Association v. Blaisdell, the Court held that a Minnesota law prohibiting banks from foreclosing mortgages that were in default did not violate the Constitution. Since then, the government's been injecting itself routinely in private contracts, a glaring example being its interference in employer/employee contracts. Surely you have a job or have had one.

Contractual violations barely scratch the surface of the government's extra-Constitutional intrusions. With minimal research, even skeptics like you should find more.

The government even monitors what we eat and drink (did you know it even restricts the amount of sugar ketchup makers can add to their product? You want your ketchup a little sweeter? Too bad. Uncle Sam says no.).

Organ donations, inflation, property ownership, self defense, who we sleep with, even whether we can go to Canada for experimental drugs. On and on. Government monitors or controls so much in our lives - and so much that is unconstitutional. If you don't know these things, you really do have your head in the sand.
And why people haven't raised holy Hell against the intrusions is beyond me.

Likely because most everything is beyond you.

Likely because you have no rebuttal.

It isn't.

It may not be new, but that doesn't stop us from resisting it. There is no reason a person should allow a group of bureaucrats and politicians to have free reign over the people they are supposed to be subservient to.

It isn’t new, in fact it’s a trite, tedious, inane, and tired cliché.

If you believe your civil liberties are being violated then file suit in Federal court to seek relief, or get involved at the local level in politics.

But whining about ‘the big, bad government not knowing “its place”’ is naive, childish schoolboy politics.

It isn't.

So, should the American Colonists have followed this reasoning when they settled here in America? You buffoon.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

-Declaration of Independence

Last edited:

It isn't.

If you believe your civil liberties are being violated then file suit in Federal court to seek relief, or get involved at the local level in politics.

But whining about ‘the big, bad government not knowing “its place”’ is naive, childish schoolboy politics.

Thing is, Clayton, people are already filing suit against the government for violating civil liberties. No matter how much name calling and insults you spew, the excess of government is undeniable. Even for you, hence your reaction. I don't need to get involved in government to influence my government, I need my government to be reverent to the rights of the people it claims to protect.

Last edited:

It isn't.

I completely agree. The govenment needs to regulate certain things. I swear, these people who constantly complain about the government overstepping its bounds need to move to a third world country where people don't have decent protection from the government on almost any level. AND live there like a citizen of that country lives, not as ex-pats live. I've read over and over again how someone has lived in certain countries and knows what it is like. Hogwash. You don't know what it is like for a normal citizen to live there when you are an ex-pat living like a citizen from the West. Most govenment regulations are there to protect us from people who take advantage, from dangerous situations, from big business and small business who take advantage, from dangerous people, etc. Without those government regulations, the average working class citizen has little chance of being more than a doormat for those with wealth and power. Which makes it completely mystifying why any working class people would support the Republican party.

Last edited:
Your local government is far more invasive and "oppressive" than the federal government.

That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Prove it. When your government passes a healthcare law that strips you of your choice to choose your own insurance, its invasive and oppressive. When it spies on you without your consent via the NSA, its become invasive and oppressive. When it tries to force people to provide money for things they find morally reprehensible, it has become invasive and oppressive. When a child cannot freely express him or herself in school, the government has become too invasive and oppressive.

It isn't.

So, should the American Colonists have followed this reasoning when they settled here in America? You buffoon.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

-Declaration of Independence

Are you an idiot? The colonists were rebelling against an all powerful monarch in a country thousands of miles away. There is no comparison between that and our current govenment being of and for the people. Instead of bitching, do something. Crawl out of your internet cave and be active in the community and fight for the rights you think you should have. Being a blowhard is doing nothing. Nada. No one is impressed.

Your local government is far more invasive and "oppressive" than the federal government.

That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Prove it. When your government passes a healthcare law that strips you of your choice to choose your own insurance, its invasive and oppressive. When it spies on you without your consent via the NSA, its become invasive and oppressive. When it tries to force people to provide money for things they find morally reprehensible, it has become invasive and oppressive. When a child cannot freely express him or herself in school, the government has become too invasive and oppressive.

You have never lived in a country with universal health care. It is wonderful, great. If you don't like paying taxes for something you don't agree with, do what Thoreau did instead of sitting behind your computer stuffing your face with junk food and bitching about it. Oh, and that assumes you even pay taxes. Only people who work pay taxes.

I completely agree. The government needs to regulate certain things. I swear, these people who constantly complain about the government overstepping its bounds need to move to a third world country where people don't have decent protection from the government on almost any level. AND live there like a citizen of that country lives, not as ex-pats live. I've read over and over again how someone has lived in certain countries and knows what it is like. Hogwash. You don't know what it is like for a normal citizen to live there when you are an ex-pat living like a citizen from the West. Most government regulations are there to protect us from people who take advantage, from dangerous situations, from big business and small business who take advantage, from dangerous people, etc. Without those government regulations, the average working class citizen has little chance of being more than a doormat for those with wealth and power. Which makes it completely mystifying why any working class people would support the Republican party.

What I find mystifying here, miss, is that you don't see this government as having any limits to its power. You seem to think the government can pass any regulation it wants, so long as it "protects us." Such naivete can only be heard coming from a liberal.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

-Ronald Reagan

You have never lived in a country with universal health care. It is wonderful, great. If you don't like paying taxes for something you don't agree with, do what Thoreau did instead of sitting behind your computer stuffing your face with junk food and bitching about it. Oh, and that assumes you even pay taxes. Only people who work pay taxes.

You have never lived in a country with universal health care.

Have you? Did it look anything like Obamacare? If you haven't noticed, Obamacare has nothing in common with universal healthcare.

If you don't like paying taxes for something you don't agree with, do what Thoreau did instead of sitting behind your computer stuffing your face with junk food and bitching about it. Oh, and that assumes you even pay taxes. Only people who work pay taxes.

It's funny, I skimmed through this thread and some of the responses. Some accused me of plagiarism, or of having the prose of an 8th grader, and other nonsense. You sit there making assumptions about me. You don't know me, woman. I suggest you keep your puerility to yourself. Moreover, not all working people pay taxes, not all people are working, Esmeralda.

Funny, you take shots at my being unemployed, but you, a liberal, advocate government policies that disincentivize people from looking for work. It is utter hypocrisy to chide me in such a way. I have a right to complain. I've paid taxes. I've had three jobs in the past. I've experienced it. At any rate, when your party stops pushing entitlements as a means to prosperity, when your party stops trying to stand in a bucket and lift themselves up by the handle, when your party starts putting people back to work by passing jobs legislation then you can lecture me, understand? Stop acting as the mouthpiece for the government and think for once, okay?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back