Owen Labrie, Harsh Penalty for shagging 15 yo, He was 18

Nov 1, 2014
Idaho
Owen Labrie sentenced to a year in jail for prep school sex assault

3375.jpg

With his once promising future at Harvard a shambles, a former New Hampshireprep school senior convicted of having sex with an underage girl as part of an unofficial school tradition was sentenced to a year in jail and probation.

Owen Labrie, now 20, faced a possible 11-year sentence for his conviction on three misdemeanor counts of sex with a 15-year-old and one felony count of using the internet to arrange a secret encounter on the campus of St Paul’s school in Concord, New Hampshire.

Labrie’s conviction for felony use of a computer also requires he register as a sex offender for life for sending the girl a “senior salute”, an old tradition on the bucolic campus where seniors in the waning days of high school ask underclassmen on a date.

Before he was sentenced, Labrie made the sign of the cross on his chest. He stood stock still while hearing he would go to prison. His mother wept.

Judge Lawrence Smukler said he rejects Labrie’s defense argument that the jury found the teenagers had consensual sex.

“This was not consensual. You did not take the time to get to know the victim to know how she reacts to various things,” Smukler said as he announced the sentence. “The very reason it is a crime is a child, someone under the age of consent, is not sufficiently mature to handle a sexual situation with an older person. She was in over her head and that was very clear.”

Prosecutors asked the judge to give Labrie three and a half to seven years in prison and undergo sex offender treatment.

BTW, this is the reason a "registered sex offender" no longer means what it used to. The public is now well aware that they aren't all child molesters.

BTW, this is the reason a "registered sex offender" no longer means what it used to. The public is now well aware that they aren't all child molesters.

I've always been aware that "sex offender" and "child Molester" are two different things and I don't know anyone that doesn't recognize the difference. While all child molesters are sex offenders, not all sex offenders are child molesters.

Sex offender registries include adult on adult crimes also.

>>>>

This one needs to be locked up for a time, he's got issues.

"She said she agreed to meet Labrie, who was a popular student and captain of the soccer team, and took off her clothes down to her underwear. She told the jury she asked him to stop him when he went around her underwear and had sex with her, but froze and did not try to escape.

In another message just revealed by prosecutors, Labrie expressed anger that the victim had initially refused to meet with him.

“Funkin’ hate girls so much,” Labrie wrote on 22 April 2014. “Another dumb cum-bucket struck from my nut sucking. suck it slut, slut fucking bucket list.”"

No sympathy...it's statutory rape....period.

No sympathy for statutory rape either, however I do support Romeo & Juliet provisions that provide for consensual sex when when the couple is within a couple of years of each other.

>>>>

No sympathy for statutory rape either, however I do support Romeo & Juliet provisions that provide for consensual sex when when the couple is within a couple of years of each other.

>>>>

At least don't dump them on the sex offenders list for that.

That's one of the reasons some states have Romeo & Juliet provisions in their laws.

Now I'm talking R&J provisions in general, not necessarily this particular case. The information provided in the linked article make this sound much more like a rape case and not a R&J situation.

>>>>

As long as they're both consenting, and adults, sure. Doesn't seem like EITHER of thise issues were met in thus case.

>>>>

At least don't dump them on the sex offenders list for that.

That's one of the reasons some states have Romeo & Juliet provisions in their laws.

Now I'm talking R&J provisions in general, not necessarily this particular case. The information provided in the linked article make this sound much more like a rape case and not a R&J situation.

>>>>

The thing is he didn't get convicted of the more serious charge, but of the misdemeanor related to her being underage, and him not being.

If he got convicted of the higher charge, he would be a sex offender, because he would have been convicted of something involving force.

As long as they're both consenting, and adults, sure. Doesn't seem like EITHER of thise issues were met in thus case.

If both participants are consenting adults than there is no need for Romeo & Juliet provisions which only apply to consensual sex between persons when (a) the sex is truly consensual, (b) when one of the persons is over the age of majority and the other is not, and (c) when the age difference are within a number of years defined in the law.

(Again a general note not necessarily applicable to this case because the sex was not consensual.)

>>>>

The thing is he didn't get convicted of the more serious charge, but of the misdemeanor related to her being underage, and him not being.

If he got convicted of the higher charge, he would be a sex offender, because he would have been convicted of something involving force.

He was convicted of a felony which is what is causing the sex offender registry.

>>>>

If both participants are consenting adults than there is no need for Romeo & Juliet provisions which only apply to consensual sex between persons when (a) the sex is truly consensual, (b) when one of the persons is over the age of majority and the other is not, and (c) when the age difference are within a number of years defined in the law.

Sorry, but I don't believe that minors shoild be allowed to "consent" to snything with an adult. I'd also make 25 the age of majority and I see no use for sex outside of a committed, long-term relationship.

Forum List

Back