Owners Of Burned California Diving Boat Say They Owe Nothing To Victims' Families

Owners Of Burned California Diving Boat Say They Owe Nothing To Victims' Families

Ah, actually this is going to be determined in court, furthermore if you read on you will see that the Titanic is being referenced

The owners of the commercial diving boat that erupted into flames during a Labor Day weekend accident off the coast of Southern California are now seeking to avoid payouts to the families of the 34 people who died onboard.

On Thursday, Glen and Dana Fritzler of Truth Aquatics, which owned the now-destroyed Conception, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, arguing they shouldn’t owe a single cent for the tragedy, the Associated Press reported.

The Fritzlers are attempting to make their case by using the Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act of 1851, a statute frequently used in waterway accidents. The couple has requested that the judge either waive their financial liability or adjust it to the boat’s post-fire value ― in this case, $0.

The law was most famously used by the shipping company White Star Lines after the 1912 Titanic disaster during which more than 1,500 passengers were killed on the ship’s maiden voyage. In that instance, the company’s liability was evaluated at $92,000, which equaled the worth of the surviving lifeboats.
Well that is nice, that they don't charge them for the trip outward since the boat caught fire.....Only fair.
As if Jacoby and Meyers is going to care

According to what I have read this is not an uncommon design. Many others laid out similarly
Abuse has nothing to do with the layout, just as a million cars might be identical but some will burst into flames because of abuse. So if this is not happening to many similar boats something different happened here.

Me, I would not sleep deep in the hull of an obsolete wooden boat like the one from Gilligans island. I have been on many boats this size, none were wood

Wood, really wood over fiberglass, aluminum or steel. Wood, Ricky Ricardo had a wood boat, so did Henry the 8th

Can I give you a bit of advice?

Don't ever go on a boat.

Nobody is going to make you safe so you will probably die.

According to what I have read this is not an uncommon design. Many others laid out similarly
Abuse has nothing to do with the layout, just as a million cars might be identical but some will burst into flames because of abuse. So if this is not happening to many similar boats something different happened here.

Me, I would not sleep deep in the hull of an obsolete wooden boat like the one from Gilligans island. I have been on many boats this size, none were wood

Wood, really wood over fiberglass, aluminum or steel. Wood, Ricky Ricardo had a wood boat, so did Henry the 8th

Don't ever go on a boat.

I have been on boats that size, and I also own my own, 18 foot sea hunt

Safety cert is in my pocket now

Don't ever go on a boat.

Yes, I can see how you could confuse the two!

Yours
Conception%20NOT-S.jpg

Subject
Conception%20too-L.jpg

Sometimes tragedy happens.

The customers all booked on the boat knowing what they were getting with the confined sleeping space. They chose the cheaper ticket on that boat instead of chartering something more expensive with more room.

A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.

You say ... 'A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.'
Any links to back up that statement or are you just feeling fired up after listening to someone like Rush or Hannity? You've gotta be careful, those guys prey on the ignorant and weak minded like yourself.

Last edited:

The customers all booked on the boat knowing what they were getting with the confined sleeping space. They chose the cheaper ticket on that boat instead of chartering something more expensive with more room.

A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.

You say ... 'A liberal mindset will look for somebody else to blame. A Conservative mindset will accept personal responsibility for life's decisions.'
Any links to back up that statement or are you just feeling fired up after listening to someone like Rush or Hannity? You've gotta be careful, those guys prey on the ignorant and weak minded.

I have never met a Libtard in my life that has accepted responsibility for anything.

Most of them have "mababydidunutin" tattooed on their foreheads.

Any links to back up that statement or are you just feeling fired up after listening to someone like Rush or Hannity? You've gotta be careful, those guys prey on the ignorant and weak minded.

I have never met a Libtard in my life that has accepted responsibility for anything.

So that's your experience. You can't condemn all liberals with just the little experience you've had with one or two of them.

Don't ever go on a boat.

Yes, I can see how you could confuse the two!

Yours
Conception%20NOT-S.jpg

Subject
Conception%20too-L.jpg

Actually the first boat still floats moron...………………….

You ever burn anyone to death?

Next

Ship owners do not have absolute protection from lawsuits. They are protected only as long as they had no prior knowledge of the defect which caused the injuries and deaths.

“The Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act (Limitation Act), 46 U.S.C. § 30501 et seq., is one of the distinctive features of United States maritime law. It gives a vessel owner the right to limit its liability in a maritime casualty (whether it be a claim for cargo damage, collision, personal injury or death) to the post-casualty value of the vessel, plus pending freight, so long as the casualty was “…done, occasioned, or incurred without the privity or knowledge of the owner.” 46 U.S.C. § 30505.”

http://www.marshalldennehey.com/defense-digest-articles/brief-overview-shipowner%E2%80%99s-limitation-liability-act-%E2%80%93-history-procedure-and

You can bet your life that plaintiffs' attorneys will be all over this one to prove that that whatever defect that caused the loss of life was known to the vessel owners.

Ship owners do not have absolute protection from lawsuits. They are protected only as long as they had no prior knowledge of the defect which caused the injuries and deaths.

“The Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act (Limitation Act), 46 U.S.C. § 30501 et seq., is one of the distinctive features of United States maritime law. It gives a vessel owner the right to limit its liability in a maritime casualty (whether it be a claim for cargo damage, collision, personal injury or death) to the post-casualty value of the vessel, plus pending freight, so long as the casualty was “…done, occasioned, or incurred without the privity or knowledge of the owner.” 46 U.S.C. § 30505.”

http://www.marshalldennehey.com/defense-digest-articles/brief-overview-shipowner%E2%80%99s-limitation-liability-act-%E2%80%93-history-procedure-and

You can bet your life that plaintiffs' attorneys will be all over this one to prove that that whatever defect that caused the loss of life was known to the vessel owners.
The actual loss of life was caused by the total inability to escape the vessel not so much the fire. The other cause besides the fire was to not have the fire fought by the crew or at least be notified of the fire before the boat was beyond hope.

Also if there were the ten passengers that there should have been there would not have been 34 phones to overload a circuit

Again this vessel holds a maximum of 36 guest safely and is still booking

Lauren-L-13.jpg

Last edited:

So that's your experience. You can't condemn all liberals with just the little experience you've had with one or two of them.

If Liberals believed in personal responsibility they wouldn't be so hell bent on the fucking collective making all the decisions.

The actual loss of life was caused by the total inability to escape the vessel not so much the fire. The other cause besides the fire was to not have the fire fought by the crew or at least be notified of the fire before the boat was beyond hope.

Frannie I don't expect a honest or reasonable answer to the question I am going to ask you, why do you even have a dog in the hunt? Is it money? Have you committed to a Contingent Commission? You have made a complete fool out of yourself in 2 different threads... Very bizarre behavior imo…

Frannie I don't expect a honest or reasonable answer to the question I am going to ask you, why do you even have a dog in the hunt? Is it money? Have you committed to a Contingent Commission? You have made a complete fool out of yourself in 2 different threads... Very bizarre behavior imo…
I just enjoy the company of retards as well as exposing retards in hiding

Thanks

Thanks

No thank you... Your answer was just what I predicted...
A better answer is that since I mentioned this story just in passing I have been viciously attacked by morons that are defending the violent deaths of 34 innocent Americans on a vacation outing. So I find people like you both mysterious and seriously emotionally flawed.

Again this 295 foot boat holds a maximum of 36 guest and it's 220 feet longer than the 75 foot long deathtrap in question which held 34 guest. Do the math
Lauren-L-13.jpg

My dogs, they could find anything, anywhere, anytime under any condition.

More room had nothing to do with this tragedy.

I don’t know the particulars of the contract the guest signed.
As if anyone would sign a contract absolving the boat owners from burning them alive, though there would likely be language surrounding drowning which would be billions of times more likely

...an you know this how?

My God, you are the most ignorant king of speculation I have ever seen!

Says the acting captain of the USS Enterprise that never knew that Oxygen does not burn...……………….

You never did quote where you claimed I said that. I can see you are still lying!

No, the carrier I served on was the America, not the Enterprise.

I was on the America once during fleet week in NY harbor. However unlike you I was not the acting captain of a carrier...…………..

Now does Oxygen burn?

Oxygen does not burn. It is not flammable, but it is an oxidizer. Oxygen feeds a fire, so it's dangerous to use around something that is burning because it will help the fire burn much more quickly. Patients on oxygen therapy who are smokers are not going to burst into flame or explode if they smoke.

Everyone is now waiting for your quote of me stating that. Why don't you admit that you are lying? Save some face!

Thanks

No thank you... Your answer was just what I predicted...
A better answer is that since I mentioned this story just in passing I have been viciously attacked by morons that are defending the violent deaths of 34 innocent Americans on a vacation outing. So I find people like you both mysterious and seriously emotionally flawed.

Again this 295 foot boat holds a maximum of 36 guest and it's 220 feet longer than the 75 foot long deathtrap in question which held 34 guest. Do the math
Lauren-L-13.jpg

My dogs, they could find anything, anywhere, anytime under any condition.

That is a luxury yacht, not a dive boat. You do know the difference in a dinghy and an aircraft carrier, right?

The NTSB will figure this out.....in 2 years.
Not worth arguing about.
Just hours after this atrocity the US Govt put a 15 million dollar bounty on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

Just sayin

Wow! The IRG must be very powerful to pull off a terrorist attack on a dive boat off the coast of California and get away without the crew who survived knowing about it.
The retarded crew was stoned
Probe to find cause of California dive boat fire could lead to criminal case – Daily News

Why? Are you their dealer?

If it was everybody and their little brown dog pulling their stupid cell phones, lap tops and I-pads into a circuit that over heated then I think we know who the responsible parties were, don't we?
And the boat instantly went up in flames?

To answer your question, the responsibility here would lie on the boat owners who allowed too many devises as the patrons could not know the load limit of the outlets...………………..

Just like if you let 34 people charge their phones and laptops off your car at an overnight stop the responsibility of failure is YOURS not theirs

Next

Did you mean "devices", dumbass?

I guess you have never heard of a circuit breaker either.

Forum List

Back