Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom

The shotguns in the UK are kept under lock and key at the shooting ranges. They are not "in private hands". It is against the law to have a firearm in your home in England. That includes shotguns.

That would be true for rifles and handguns (generally illegal absent extraordinary circumstances), not for shotguns, Paul.

In contrast, shotguns tend to be used in more general rural circumstances, such as by farmers who are protecting livestock from foxes - and police recognise that landowners need guns for pest control.

BBC News - Gun control and ownership laws in the UK

Under UK law, shotguns are not even classified as firearms..

for having such tight gun laws

full autos show up a lot at crime scenes in the UK

26 April 2013
Four held over 'machine gun' find in Liverpool
Four people have been arrested after police found what they believe is a machine gun at an address in Liverpool.

BBC News - Four held over 'machine gun' find in Liverpool

Jon -

Firearm-related homicides, rate:

USA: 10.2
UK: 0.25

Firearm-related suicides, rate:

USA: 6.30
UK: 0.17

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more importantly, since the USA eliminated the assault weapons ban and since the UK enacted tough gun laws, crimes using guns have dropped at the same rate in both countries. think about that, one country with a virtual gun ban, and another that has seen gun ownership nearly double, including "deadly assault weapons" and both have experienced the same percent drop in gun crime. who needs restrictive, right stripping laws

who needs restrictive, right stripping laws

The country with the highest murder rate in the developed world.

Your argument would make sense if both the US and UK had high murder rates when the UK passed their gun laws, but their murder rate was already much, much lower than that of the US because gun ownership was already much lower.

It's like two gamblers - one has $1000 and one has $100 and they both lose $20. Did they both perform equally?

Your argument would make sense if both the US and UK had high murder rates when the UK passed their gun laws, but their murder rate was already much, much lower than that of the US because gun ownership was already much lower.

It's like two gamblers - one has $1000 and one has $100 and they both lose $20. Did they both perform equally?

no, my argument is perfectly valid. and your example proves it. yes, they both lost equally. the impact on the total is the same. now to make you example be apples to apples you would have to say both lost the same percent. because I would turn your example around and say the USA decreased it's death rate by 1000 deaths while the UK only decreased by 10. a glaring difference, but not a fair comparison. the real facts are, the USA dropped its rates by the same percent as countries with tough gun laws. our achievment is even greater, because while those countries were reducing the number of guns we were doubling the amount we had. yet we achieved the same rate of improvement.

I don't give a shit about protecting you sheep from the fucking government. All i care about is being able to protect my wife and home from some fucker who thinks what I have is his.

Who would be this person(s) and how often has this happened to you in the past? How about in your neighborhood and town?

Spoonman -

yes, they both lost equally. the impact on the total is the same.

No, it isn't. One guy lost 20% of his money - and one lost 2% of his money.

The reason the US has been able to reduce its appalling figures slightly is because they were simply catastrophic to begin with. The UK will not be able to reduce their figures significanty from here on in, because they are already very low - back to 1983 levels, in fact.

If the US wants to reduce its murder rate significantly, gun laws are essential. There is no other way.

Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom - Casey Michel - The Atlantic

Studies show there is very little correlation between heavily armed citizens and the presence of democracy in countries around the world.

After League City, Texas, became the first city in the state to pass a resolution effectively nullifying federal gun regulations in February, Councilwoman Heidi Thiess, who speared the motion, shared a quote. "Gen. Isoroku Yamamoto, who was the commander of Japan's WWII Combined Fleet, was asked why he never bothered to invade the U.S. after Pearl Harbor," she remarked. "And you know what he said? 'You can't invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.'"

It didn't matter that the quote is almost certainly false. The sentiment remains: The tether between that right to bear arms and the safety of liberal democracy is as real post-Newtown as it was following Pearl Harbor. And now that a handful of cities and counties across Texas have passed similar measures barring local officials from enforcing federal legislation, the link between your Glock and your unbridled freedoms becomes inseparable. "The Second Amendment was never meant for hunting, although that's what's been said over generations," Thiess continued. "It was a means of defense. Yes, self-defense, but also defense against our own government."

This is correct. The early colonists considered themselves as people belonging to one of the states (colonies), not a newly formed nation. So the amendment was to insure that they could form a militia to protect themselves from any despotic developments that could occur within the newly formed central government.

What is happening that goes awry in this America of the 21st century, is the erroneous interpretation of the 18th century European mind that wrote the 2nd Amendment.

Thomas Jefferson's observation :

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors. "

If we rank the Top 20 countries by homicide rate and by gun ownership - it usually correlates at 17 or 18 out of 20. It is a statistical fact - amd has been proven to be so by a dozen reliable studies.

You mean "the top 20 western democracies." The top 20 countries would be an entirely different list, and it would include countries with severe penalties for owning a gun and with very few guns. Jamaica and Brazil are a classic examples.

If we rank the Top 20 countries by homicide rate and by gun ownership - it usually correlates at 17 or 18 out of 20. It is a statistical fact - amd has been proven to be so by a dozen reliable studies.

You mean "the top 20 western democracies." The top 20 countries would be an entirely different list, and it would include countries with severe penalties for owning a gun and with very few guns. Jamaica and Brazil are a classic examples.

Yes, you are right. I did mean the Top 20 western countries. My apologies.

I'm not so sure about how few guns there are in Jamaica or Brazil...official and legal figures may not bear much contact with the reality of some of those favellas.

Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom - Casey Michel - The Atlantic

Studies show there is very little correlation between heavily armed citizens and the presence of democracy in countries around the world.

After League City, Texas, became the first city in the state to pass a resolution effectively nullifying federal gun regulations in February, Councilwoman Heidi Thiess, who speared the motion, shared a quote. "Gen. Isoroku Yamamoto, who was the commander of Japan's WWII Combined Fleet, was asked why he never bothered to invade the U.S. after Pearl Harbor," she remarked. "And you know what he said? 'You can't invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.'"

It didn't matter that the quote is almost certainly false. The sentiment remains: The tether between that right to bear arms and the safety of liberal democracy is as real post-Newtown as it was following Pearl Harbor. And now that a handful of cities and counties across Texas have passed similar measures barring local officials from enforcing federal legislation, the link between your Glock and your unbridled freedoms becomes inseparable. "The Second Amendment was never meant for hunting, although that's what's been said over generations," Thiess continued. "It was a means of defense. Yes, self-defense, but also defense against our own government."

Personally, that attitude, the swaggering and blustering about how the nutter are gonna save us from the government or from invasion - its downright silly.

But, one can ignore the Mighty Mouse nonsense, its the rest of the article that's interesting.

It's really quite the opposite.

no, my argument is perfectly valid. and your example proves it. yes, they both lost equally. the impact on the total is the same. now to make you example be apples to apples you would have to say both lost the same percent. because I would turn your example around and say the USA decreased it's death rate by 1000 deaths while the UK only decreased by 10. a glaring difference, but not a fair comparison. the real facts are, the USA dropped its rates by the same percent as countries with tough gun laws. our achievment is even greater, because while those countries were reducing the number of guns we were doubling the amount we had. yet we achieved the same rate of improvement.

:lol:

No wonder you are a cop.

You'd have failed at business.

Spoonman -

yes, they both lost equally. the impact on the total is the same.

No, it isn't. One guy lost 20% of his money - and one lost 2% of his money.

The reason the US has been able to reduce its appalling figures slightly is because they were simply catastrophic to begin with. The UK will not be able to reduce their figures significanty from here on in, because they are already very low - back to 1983 levels, in fact.

If the US wants to reduce its murder rate significantly, gun laws are essential. There is no other way.

exactly. like I said your example is not a valid reresentation of what is happening. the rates in the USA and the UK have both dropped at the same percentage. got it. limited gun laws and a doubling of the amount of guns has created the same percent drop in gun deaths as reducing the amount of guns and placing tighter regulations on them. getting rid of guns and putting stricter regulations on them has had no greater benefit in reducing gun violence. gun control laws and limits are not effective at reducing gun violence. that is the bottom line.

:lol:

No wonder you are a cop.

You'd have failed at business.

which is why i own my own business that allowed me to retire early

Is this true though (there’s no other way to correct besides gun laws)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the grand majority of gun homicides (in the US) occur in our inner cities at the hands of minorities who are stuck in a vicious cycle of poverty, poor education, poor family structure, ect. If guns themselves were the problem, then gun violence would be spread somewhat equally across the United States – right? In that scenario, one could simply predict the # of gun homicides based on how many guns exist in a given area. But that's not the case!

How about we instead focus on:

A. Education, education, education. The system is broken, and we’re failing these kids with each passing generation. Good education = good jobs = less poverty = less violence.

B. Drug legalization. This will severely cut down the revenue stream of the cartels (and ultimately the street gangs); less power, less money, less guns, less violence.

Valid?

Last edited:
Kevin -

I do agree with much of your thinking here - guns do not occur as a problem in isolation. As you say, they are linked to drugs, gangs, unemployment and poverty - and all of those feautres need to be tackled as well, if gun crime is ever to be brought to acceptable levels.

But disarming gangs is possible, and has been done elsewhere, even if to a lesser degree than would be required in the likes of Chicago.

My feeling is that tackling unemployment and drugs WITHOUT new gun laws would be largely pointless, because gun crime will remain high as long as gangs have access to guns.

Yes, you are right. I did mean the Top 20 western countries. My apologies.

I'm not so sure about how few guns there are in Jamaica or Brazil...official and legal figures may not bear much contact with the reality of some of those favellas.

like your reliable study from yesterday where the facts were just the opposite of what you stated?

Kevin -

I do agree with much of your thinking here - guns do not occur as a problem in isolation. As you say, they are linked to drugs, gangs, unemployment and poverty - and all of those feautres need to be tackled as well, if gun crime is ever to be brought to acceptable levels.

But disarming gangs is possible, and has been done elsewhere, even if to a lesser degree than would be required in the likes of Chicago.

My feeling is that tackling unemployment and drugs WITHOUT new gun laws would be largely pointless, because gun crime will remain high as long as gangs have access to guns.

dude, gang members do not walk into a gun shop and buy a gun. they get them on the black market. black markets don't follow laws or do back ground checks. and gang members get their guns by the hundreds and thousands. you know why when they do arrest someone and find a gun on their possesion that gun is never tied to any other crime? because that gun is clean. clean as in never used in a crime. when they use a gun they don't take it home, wipe out the gun powder and go use it again. the gun dissapears and they pack a fresh one. they have an unlimited source. their guns aren't registered. no gun laws are making their guns go away.

where has anyone been successful in taking guns out of the hands of criminals?

Forum List

Back