Parent Arrested For Protesting Use of Common Core

How about we take a look at all these seditious texts being promoted in the HS CC suggested text list.

Grades 9–10

stories
.............................................................................................................................
Homer.
The Odyssey
..........................................................................................................
Ovid.
Metamorphoses
.......................................................................................................
Gogol, Nikolai. “The Nose.”
.............................................................................................
De Voltaire, F. A. M.
Candide, Or The Optimist
Turgenev, Ivan.
Fathers and Sons
................................................................................
Henry, O. “The Gift of the Magi.”
..................................................................................
Kafka, Franz.
The Metamorphosis

Steinbeck, John.
The Grapes of Wrath
Bradbury, Ray.
Fahrenheit 451
......................................................................................
Olsen, Tillie. “I Stand Here Ironing.”
Achebe, Chinua.
Things Fall Apart
Lee, Harper.
To Kill A Mockingbird
Shaara, Michael.
The Killer Angels
Tan, Amy.
The Joy Luck Club
........................................................................................
Álvarez, Julia.
In the Time of the Butterflies
Zusak, Marcus.
The Book Thief
.....................................................................................
Drama
..............................................................................................................................
Sophocles.
Oedipus Rex
..................................................................................................
Shakespeare, William.
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Ibsen, Henrik.
A Doll’s House
..........................................................................................
Williams, Tennessee.
The Glass Menagerie
Ionesco, Eugene.
Rhinoceros
.........................................................................................
Fugard, Athol.
“Master Harold”...and the boys
Poetry
..............................................................................................................................
Shakespeare, William. “Sonnet 73.”
Donne, John. “Song.”
.........................................................................................................
Shelley, Percy Bysshe. “Ozymandias.”
Poe, Edgar Allan. “The Raven.”
......................................................................................
Dickinson, Emily. “We Grow Accustomed to the Dark.”
Houseman, A. E. “Loveliest of Trees.”
Johnson, James Weldon. “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”
Cullen, Countee. “Yet Do I Marvel.”
Auden, Wystan Hugh.
”Musée des Beaux Arts.”
Walker, Alice. “Women.”
..................................................................................................
Baca, Jimmy Santiago. “I Am Offering This Poem to You.”

Informational texts:
english Language arts
Henry, Patrick. “Speech to the Second Virginia Convention.”
Washington, George. “Farewell Address.”
Lincoln, Abraham. “Gettysburg Address.”
Lincoln, Abraham. “Second Inaugural Address.”
Roosevelt, Franklin Delano. “State of the Union Address.”
Hand, Learned. “I Am an American Day Address.”
Smith, Margaret Chase. “Remarks to the Senate in Support
of a Declaration of Conscience.”
King, Jr., Martin Luther. “Letter from Birmingham Jail.”
King, Jr., Martin Luther. “I Have a Dream: Address Delivered at the
March on Washington, D.C., for Civil Rights on August 28, 1963.”
Angelou, Maya.
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Wiesel, Elie. “Hope, Despair and Memory.”
Reagan, Ronald. “Address to Students at Moscow State University.”
Quindlen, Anna. “A Quilt of a Country.”

Informational texts: History/social studies
Brown, Dee.
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee:
An Indian History of the American West
Connell, Evan S.
Son of the Morning Star: Custer and the Little Bighorn
Gombrich, E. H.
The Story of Art, 16th Edition
Kurlansky, Mark.
Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World
Haskins, Jim.
Black, Blue and Gray: African Americans in the Civil War
Dash, Joan.
The Longitude Prize
..................................................................................
Thompson, Wendy.
The Illustrated Book of Great Composers
Mann, Charles C.
Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491

Grades 11–

...................................................................................
stories
............................................................................................................................
Chaucer, Geoffrey.
The Canterbury Tales
de Cervantes, Miguel.
Don Quixote
Austen, Jane.
Pride and Prejudice
Poe, Edgar Allan. “The Cask of Amontillado.”
Brontë, Charlotte.
Jane Eyre
.........................................................................................
Hawthorne, Nathaniel.
The Scarlet Letter
Dostoevsky, Fyodor.
Crime and Punishment
Jewett, Sarah Orne. “A White Heron.”
Melville, Herman.
Billy Budd, Sailor
Chekhov, Anton. “Home.”
................................................................................................
Fitzgerald, F. Scott.
The Great Gatsby
Faulkner, William.
As I Lay Dying
.................................................................................
Hemingway, Ernest.
A Farewell to
Hurston, Zora Neale.
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Borges, Jorge Luis. “The Garden of Forking Paths.”
Bellow, Saul.
The Adventures of Augie March
Morrison, Toni.
The Bluest Eye
.......................................................................................

Informational texts: english Language arts
Paine, Thomas.
Common Sense
...................................................................................
Jefferson, Thomas.
The Declaration of Independence
United States. The Bill of Rights (Amendments One through Ten
of the United States Constitution).
Thoreau, Henry David.
Walden
Emerson, Ralph Waldo. “Society and Solitude.”
Porter, Horace. “Lee Surrenders to Grant, April 9th, 1865.”
Chesterton, G. K. “The Fallacy of Success.”
Mencken, H. L.
The American Language, 4th Edition
Wright, Richard.
Black Boy
.............................................................................................
Orwell, George. “Politics and the English Language.”
Hofstadter, Richard. “Abraham Lincoln and the Self-Made Myth.”
Tan, Amy. “Mother Tongue.”
...........................................................................................
Anaya, Rudolfo. “Take the Tortillas Out of Your Poetry.”

Informational texts: History/social studies
Tocqueville, Alexis de.
Democracy in America
Declaration of Sentiments
by the Seneca Falls Conference
Douglass, Frederick. “What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?:
An Address Delivered in Rochester, New York, on 5 July 1852.”
An American Primer.
Edited by Daniel J. Boorstin
Lagemann, Ellen Condliffe. “Education.”
McPherson, James M.
What They Fought For 1861–1865
The American Reader: Words that Moved a Nation, 2nd Edition
Amar, Akhil Reed.
America’s Constitution: A Biography
McCullough, David.
Bell, Julian.
Mirror of the World: A New History of Art
FedViews
by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco

Paine, Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln, Patrick Henry, Ronald Reagan...a veritable hotbed of alien/communist propaganda.

http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_B.pdf

And not a Zinn in sight...

Last edited:
Step up?

Is there any evidence that Common Core requires the use of any book wriiten by Zinn?

I cannot find it, and would be very pleased to have a reference.

'use' of a Zinn book by whom.....? the kids? the teachers? those who wrote the standards?

i would lay odds that those who wrote the standards (especially in history) are quite familiar with Zinn....

and you must know that eventually the curriculum teaches to the standards...

I would "lay odds" that you are simply parroting what you have heard, and have no evidence to support your hearsay based position.

i would lay odds that you have no proof to back up your assertions... :eusa_hand:

do you even have a CLUE who actually determined the CC standards.....?

if you knew you would know that the standard-setting process was pretty much a closed process....so how would you really know what influenced the standards or what didn't.....?
Five People Wrote 'State-Led' Common Core | Heartlander Magazine

By July 1, 2009, NGA and CCSSO had formed more committees. There were two work groups, whose dozen members in math and English wrote the standards. These included no teachers, but did include a few professors. Second were two feedback groups, who were supposed to provide research and advice to the writers. Those had 18 members each, who were mostly professors but included one math teacher. Third was the validation committee, announced in September 2009, which acted as the final gate for Common Core. Their job was to “ensure [the standards] are research and evidence-based.”

While many people sat on these various committees, only one in sixty was a classroom teacher, according to teaching coach and blogger Anthony Cody. All of the standards writing and discussions were sealed by confidentiality agreements, and held in private. While Linn says six states sent intensive teacher and staff feedback, committee members weren’t sure what effect their advice had, said Mark Bauerlein, an Emory University professor who sat on a feedback committee.

“I have no idea how much influence committee members had on final product. Some of the things I advised made their way into the standards. Some of them didn’t. I’m not sure why or how,” he said. He said those who would know were the standards’ lead writers: David Coleman and Susan Pimentel in English, and Jason Zimba, Phil Daro, and William McCallum in math. Coleman and Zimba did not have previous experience writing standards.

Several people on the validation committee said the same: They had no idea what happened to their comments once they submitted them.

'use' of a Zinn book by whom.....? the kids? the teachers? those who wrote the standards?

i would lay odds that those who wrote the standards (especially in history) are quite familiar with Zinn....

I would "lay odds" that you are simply parroting what you have heard, and have no evidence to support your hearsay based position.

i would lay odds that you have no proof to back up your assertions... :eusa_hand:

if you knew you would know that the standard-setting process was pretty much a closed process....so how would you really know what influenced the standards or what didn't.....?

By July 1, 2009, NGA and CCSSO had formed more committees. There were two work groups, whose dozen members in math and English wrote the standards. These included no teachers, but did include a few professors. Second were two feedback groups, who were supposed to provide research and advice to the writers. Those had 18 members each, who were mostly professors but included one math teacher. Third was the validation committee, announced in September 2009, which acted as the final gate for Common Core. Their job was to “ensure [the standards] are research and evidence-based.”

While many people sat on these various committees, only one in sixty was a classroom teacher, according to teaching coach and blogger Anthony Cody. All of the standards writing and discussions were sealed by confidentiality agreements, and held in private. While Linn says six states sent intensive teacher and staff feedback, committee members weren’t sure what effect their advice had, said Mark Bauerlein, an Emory University professor who sat on a feedback committee.

“I have no idea how much influence committee members had on final product. Some of the things I advised made their way into the standards. Some of them didn’t. I’m not sure why or how,” he said. He said those who would know were the standards’ lead writers: David Coleman and Susan Pimentel in English, and Jason Zimba, Phil Daro, and William McCallum in math. Coleman and Zimba did not have previous experience writing standards.

Several people on the validation committee said the same: They had no idea what happened to their comments once they submitted them.

ScreamingBeagle, which of the above texts I posted do you have a problem with?

Personally, I think the selection committee did a pretty good job. There is a selection of left leaning, middle and right leaning books, each school system gets to choose which ones they want to use.

Last edited:

Personally, I think the selection committee did a pretty good job. There is a selection of left leaning, middle and right leaning books, each school system gets to choose which ones they want to use.

you really don't get it do you....? since when is our whole national education system supposed to be in the hands of one 'selection committee'........?

i don't care which way the books are 'leaning' right now.....that could easily be changed with simply another 'selection committee' meeting...

you really don't get it do you....? since when is our whole national education system supposed to be in the hands of one 'selection committee'........?

i don't care which way the books are 'leaning' right now.....that could easily be changed with simply another 'selection committee' meeting...

Because that's how it works. Are you daft? Are you suggesting the selections be done in via direct vote in a national election? Are you suggesting it be left up to the politics of the House or Senate? How long do you think it would take for the HOR to agree on a "textbook suggestion list" for students? You'd have half the bible belt pubs voting for the bible and half the dems voting for, well, Zinn anf it would take up all their time for two years.

Get out of the way and let the educators do their job.

Last edited:
yeah, that's my question? What's the fuss?

Fussers have to fuss.

LOL. I guess that's it. I looked at the math core, and it was over my head. Maybe they'd be happy if we taught intelligent design and ignored anything not having ties to western europe.

You can be sure much of the imbroglio is from the religious upset about not being able to insert religious texts into the curriculum.

This seems to be a very important point since you keep reiterating it, Parrot-like, regardless of the fact that we've already established that ANY educational standard setting process is done by state committee, appointed by the governor. There is ample proof of this in the Florida Statute sited in this thread.

You seem to believe that CC standards are somehow the exception. They are not, but since this does not fit your chicken-little meme, so you choose to ignore it.

Because that's how it works. Are you daft? Are you suggesting the selections be done in via direct vote in a national election? Are you suggesting it be left up to the politics of the House or Senate? How long do you think it would take for the HOR to agree on a "textbook suggestion list" for students? You'd have half the bible belt pubs voting for the bible and half the dems voting for, well, Zinn anf it would take up all their time for two years.

you're a stupid ass who will lie down for the global socialists and their global 'standards'....

American education should remain at the State and Local levels...

This seems to be a very important point since you keep reiterating it, Parrot-like, regardless of the fact that we've already established that ANY educational standard setting process is done by state committee, appointed by the governor. There is ample proof of this in the Florida Statute sited in this thread.

You seem to believe that CC standards are somehow the exception. They are not, but since this does not fit your chicken-little meme, so you choose to ignore it.

did you even read the article describing who and how the CC standards were set....?

:cuckoo:

I love how progressives are happy that American students are learning less and less...all that matters to death cultists is that children are thoroughly indoctrinated.

Once again, faced with the facts, the tune changes to match the meme.

First it was Evul Liberals that were envolking CC. That was simply false, but let's ignore it and move on to the next absurdity:

CC adopts texts written by Zinn. This too, is completely false, but let's ignore it and move on to the next ridiculous accusation:

CC must be adopted behind closed doors, an unorthodox method, unheard of with any other standardized measures. Again, this is just silly: all educational standardization is done through the state governor's office.

did you even read the article describing who and how the CC standards were set....?

your original balt sun link had no information. So, I googled up the source of the common core standards. I don't see anything remotely objectionable.

I love how progressives are happy that American students are learning less and less...all that matters to death cultists is that children are thoroughly indoctrinated.

Which is weird since CC toughened the standards as evidenced by the old exam scores compared to the new.

But let's not allow facts to get in the way of good, ignorant rant.

You seem to be very confused.

The article you referenced is not how state educational standards are set:

Here is the link to the post describing the typical legislation that describes how state educational standards are adopted:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...esting-use-of-common-core-11.html#post7881286

Deep thoughts......"progressives"......"death cultists?"

No doubt all part of the microchip North Koreans emplanted in Obama when alien creatures deposited him there before he swam to Hawaii.

Which is weird since CC toughened the standards as evidenced by the old exam scores compared to the new.

But let's not allow facts to get in the way of good, ignorant rant.

Well, to be fair, I think koshergirl is a sincere poster. I took her post to be more aimed at WHAT is being taught is missplaced. That's why I went to math standards, realizing I'd be a a middle school level at best. But, if someone finds Twain to be too much of a humanist, and would prefer ... say Hobbes ... then the debate really goes to social philosopy. So, I see why there could be disagreement, but then, to me, natl standards are preferable to making state school superindents fight it out with the extreme social movement de jour, e.g. their tea party is just another man's anarchist's cookbook.

Deep thoughts......"progressives"......"death cultists?"

No doubt all part of the microchip North Koreans emplanted in Obama when alien creatures deposited him there before he swam to Hawaii.

I don't do aliens...

but I do despise *moderates*, who are just limp wristed, cowardly namby-pamby dipwads.

Forum List

Back