Parent Arrested For Protesting Use of Common Core

This seems to be a very important point since you keep reiterating it, Parrot-like, regardless of the fact that we've already established that ANY educational standard setting process is done by state committee, appointed by the governor. There is ample proof of this in the Florida Statute sited in this thread.

You seem to believe that CC standards are somehow the exception. They are not, but since this does not fit your chicken-little meme, so you choose to ignore it.

did you even read the article describing who and how the CC standards were set....?

:cuckoo:

You seem to be very confused.

The article you referenced is not how state educational standards are set:

Here is the link to the post describing the typical legislation that describes how state educational standards are adopted:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...esting-use-of-common-core-11.html#post7881286

you mean the 'rubber-stamp' process....?

if state standards are to conform to Common Core standards they are NOT really setting their OWN standards...i don't really know what Florida is doing but for most they are agreeing to conform their state standards to those of Common Core...a top-down Federal standard...

Now limp wristed is just mean, and goint too far. I plead guilty to cowardly namby-pamby dipwad(s)

Only a cowardly namby-pamby dipwad would admit it...which I think probably makes you limp wristed as well..

but in truth, I was referencing Samson. Thanks for sharing, though! :lol::lol:

did you even read the article describing who and how the CC standards were set....?

Here is the link to the post describing the typical legislation that describes how state educational standards are adopted:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...esting-use-of-common-core-11.html#post7881286

if state standards are to conform to Common Core standards they are NOT really setting their OWN standards...i don't really know what Florida is doing but for most they are agreeing to conform their state standards to those of Common Core...a top-down Federal standard...

So your issue is with the state law, not Common Core.

Like you admit, you don't really know what Florida is doing (although I provided the statute). You don't really know what every state does: That doesn't stop you from making wild accusations based on flimsy evidence.

I love how progressives are happy that American students are learning less and less...all that matters to death cultists is that children are thoroughly indoctrinated.

Deep thoughts......"progressives"......"death cultists?"

No doubt all part of the microchip North Koreans emplanted in Obama when alien creatures deposited him there before he swam to Hawaii.

I don't do aliens...

but I do despise *moderates*, who are just limp wristed, cowardly namby-pamby dipwads.

I'm terribly concerned about what you despise.

:confused:

At least you are not arguing about my assertation that Obama swam from Korea to Hawaii.

:cool:

Thanks for playing.

Like you admit, you don't really know what Florida is doing (although I provided the statute). You don't really know what every state does: That doesn't stop you from making wild accusations based on flimsy evidence.

let's start again....answer these 2 questions...

1. despite whatever Florida or any other state is doing to implement their educational policies....are they or aren't they adhering to the Common Core standards....?

2. who actually determines the Common Core standards...?

Is Common Core a federal program or a program of states and by states that join voluntarily?

Social_security_card.gif

ssnid.jpg

All of you:

Take your SS Cards out of your wallets and tell me what you see that is different than what you see on this card.

Anybody?

Once you let the Feds in, you have lost ALL control. What you want no longer matters.

It's all about what THEY want and what they can get away with.

Think about it

Social_security_card.gif

ssnid.jpg

All of you:

Take your SS Cards out of your wallets and tell me what you see that is different than what you see on this card.

Anybody?

Once you let the Feds in, you have lost ALL control. What you want no longer matters.

It's all about what THEY want and what they can get away with.

Think about it

I lost my soc sec card, but don't tell obama.

More importantly, to the extent possible, I want the kids who are educated with my local (and state and fed) taxes educated so as to be able to secure jobs in a global economy. So, I don't see national standards as being contrary to my interests, esp. when they are compiled at least in part by state depts of educ.

I mean Dwight "freaking" Eisenhower was not a totalatarian.

Is Common Core a federal program or a program of states and by states that join voluntarily?

i'd say at the start both.....as well as private parties like Gates...

however We The People have been by-and-large left out of it...

You should call your legislators and your governors.

This is really quite simple.

It's about freedom of choice. Being limited to having 1 choice and no voice on your kids' education should be a no-brainer. Having 1 choice and no voice about only being allowed to have BC/BS for an insurance option - no brainer. Having the option of only being allowed cheddar cheese available at the grocery store - no brainer.

Tying parent's hands behind their backs and giving them 1 education "standard" option with no say so - public, charter AND private should be an issue. Unless you're a sheep. In which case, fall in line. You can't vote it out at the local level and it's shoved down your throat.

They do respond to continuous phone calls and letters from parents:

Governor Rick Scott Announces Path Forward for High Education Standards & Decision to Withdraw from PARCC

Following the Governor’s Education Summit in Tampa a few weeks ago, Governor Rick Scott sent a letter to State Board of Education Chairman Gary Chartrand today, outlining six steps for the board to:

1) Maintain high education standards; and,

2) Remove the state from federal intrusion in education policy.

To protect Florida from the federal government’s overreach in education policy, Governor Scott also sent a letter today to U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan, announcing the state’s decision to withdraw from the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC). Lastly, the Governor also released an Executive Order today announcing policy improvements that were discussed in the Governor’s Education Summit.

Governor Scott said, “We listened to many people who are passionate about making Florida’s education system the best in the world during our Education Summit in Tampa a few weeks ago. The summit’s discussions were so robust and diverse that they have led to three actions today. First, I sent a letter to Chairman Chartrand outlining a six-step course forward for Florida to ensure we continue to hold our students to high education standards. Excellence in education begins with high expectations for our students. Second, I told the federal government we are rejecting their overreach into our state education system by withdrawing from PARCC. Last, I issued an executive order to address state assessments, ensure student data security and support a transparent and understandable school accountability system.

“While the debate surrounding Common Core Standards has become polarized into a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ discussion, we heard during the Education Summit that most education leaders agreed on two things. We agree that we should say ‘yes’ to high standards for Florida students and ‘no’ to the federal government’s overreach into our education system. Therefore, I notified the federal government that Florida would be withdrawing from PARCC, and at the same time we will hold public comment sessions to receive input on any alterations that should be made to the current Common Core Standards. We are committed to maintaining high standards for our students. Period. The six steps outlined to the Board of Education will help Florida move forward in maintaining exceptionally high standards while removing federal intrusion into our education system.”

Letter to the FL Board of Ed:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ChairmanChartrand092313.pdf

Letter to US Secretary of Ed:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SecretaryDuncan092313.pdf

Executive Order:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/EO-13-276.pdf

EDIT: I did a bold font for anyone that's reading impaired.

Last edited:
Here is part of a test from an 1862 Classroom for 4th Graders.

How many 4th Graders could pass it today?

How many of YOU could pass it?

Geography.png

Since the idiot, Jimmy the peanut, brought the Frankenstein Monster of the Dept of Ed to life, our Schools have gone to shit.

And libturds want MORE Federal involvement?

Never ceases to amaze me how libturds just keep doubling down on the fail

4th Grade math question in 1862
notice no multiple questions. You had to know the answer.

Common Core 5th Grade math question.
Ken bought a shirt for 58.98.
The sales tax was 3.54.
How much did Ken spend on the shirt?
You don't even have to be correct on the answer.
Common Core is about no right or wrong answer, just as long as you understand the concept of the question. :cuckoo:

This was something that was asked in 2nd grade when I was in school, now it's 5th Grade.
You had to answer it correctly or you were wrong, now it's well you got the idea so you are correct.

Last edited:
It's always is so easy to have your little thread wars, however, they are "experimenting" with our kids at a very high level in a very broad sweep.... and we are talking about the gubbamint here.

This is a multi-state project, FL was the treasurer - maybe other states will follow suit.

Here are a few gripes about how this works in the Real World:

• The PARCC assessments require 20 days of testing for elementary, middle and high school students. That’s more time than it takes for students to complete the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Tests (FCAT).

• The PARCC assessments are performed on computers, and require schools to have at least one device for every two students. No school district in the state meets that requirement. There are also concerns about the minimum bandwidth requirements.

• The final cost of adopting the new tests has not yet been determined.

• The consortium has not yet released its final test security policies, leaving concerns about the safety of student data.

“It would be unacceptable to participate in national efforts that may take us backward and erode confidence in our accountability system and our trajectory of continued success,” Gaetz and Weatherford wrote in the letter.

Instead, they proposed the creation of a “Florida Plan” for assessments that could include the existing end-of-course exams or tests that have been established in other states.

Is it so easy to take our freedom away? Here's your single gubbamint education option, we're not sure if the shit works or not, but we're going to go ahead and make you do it anyway and we'll see how your kids fair in a few years.

I've got an idea!

Let's fund the prison system with Box Tops and take their money for education.

They're killing DARE in our district this year because of.......................

Funding.

Is the "No Child Left Behind" still a viable program or is it now in the ashcan? These panaceas to education seem to come and go with some rapidity, or maybe they have become just a new adjunct to political campaigns?
Will these answers to educational problems only pop up every four years or will every candidate running for political office now have to have an educational program along with his program to end wars, welfare, unemployment, debt and all the other problems?

let's start again....answer these 2 questions...

1. despite whatever Florida or any other state is doing to implement their educational policies....are they or aren't they adhering to the Common Core standards....?

2. who actually determines the Common Core standards...?

Interesting you need to ask.

1. I've sited who determines state standards: State Governors throught their appointed committees. This power is given through legislation

2. Common Core standards were developed by more than one person. "Who" is a meaningless question. Who cares is a better question: Answer; State Boards of Education.

If you don't like the laws in your state, the write your congressman; They are not a product of Common Core. If you have legitimate concerns about Common Core, then please, bring them to the debate. So far all you've managed to do is parrot a lot of hypothetical nonsense and half-truths.

Here is part of a test from an 1862 Classroom for 4th Graders.

How many 4th Graders could pass it today?

How many of YOU could pass it?

Geography.png

Since the idiot, Jimmy the peanut, brought the Frankenstein Monster of the Dept of Ed to life, our Schools have gone to shit.

And libturds want MORE Federal involvement?

Never ceases to amaze me how libturds just keep doubling down on the fail

4th Grade math question in 1862
notice no multiple questions. You had to know the answer.

Common Core 5th Grade math question.
Ken bought a shirt for 58.98.
The sales tax was 3.54.
How much did Ken spend on the shirt?
You don't even have to be correct on the answer.
Common Core is about no right or wrong answer, just as long as you understand the concept of the question. :cuckoo:

This was something that was asked in 2nd grade when I was in school, now it's 5th Grade.
You had to answer it correctly or you were wrong, now it's well you got the idea so you are correct.

That's not exactly Common Core 5th... 4th is sitting on my dining room table.

It would be:

shirt is 58.98, sales tax 3.54, find your answer ON THE HUNDREDS CHART and then draw it.

Then if you teach them to carry, you get a note to come in for a meeting and learn how to use a hundreds chart and draw pictures.

:lol:

Some reactionary stooge wrote truthfully, "As yet, there is no direct link between ZEP and Common Core", implying falsely that there is an indirect link. What a tool.

Forum List

Back