Parents Of Michigan High School Shooting Suspect Charged With Four Counts Of Involuntary Manslaughter

Parental responsibility is a double edged sword. Just look at how Britney Spears parents controlled their "crazy" child.
Sure. It's not easy to sort out. Criminal accountability is often like that. And I'm not saying every parent should be responsible for their children in perpetuity. But when your kid is fantasizing about killing people and you give them a gun - well, you have some 'splaining to do.

So, it sounds like the school knew more than the parents did.

:dunno:
The school knew at least as much as the parents did....

I am sure the parents know their kid more than the school does...

Which is why when the shooting first hit the news -- the first thing his mom texted him was "don't do it" -- because she ALREADY KNEW

Most parents would be texting their children to see if they are safe......

You act like the lawmakers single out guns for no reason. As if they are out there for holding parents responsible for leaving guns laying around and a kid shooting up a school. It's almost as if you want to live in a lawless, uncivilized society. I guess then people would stop scapegoating guns, right?
Does the DA have armed police protection in courthouse where she works?

I bet she does

All that police protection and metal detectors should be used to protect the children not some lousy politician

First thing I'd do is prevent homes with mentally ill people residing within from owning guns. This could easily be a question on a gun app. You lie about it? Your sentence is the same as the person committing the crime.

Your solution does nothing to actually solve the problem. You want to put a band aid on a deep gash.
You can't prevent the household from owning guns. But you can have a law requiring the gun owners to treat the weapons like any other dangerous object to have locked up so children or mentally ill can't get access to them. It's no different than an expansion of normal "child safety".

Police are searching for the parents of the Michigan high school shooting suspect after they are charged with involuntary manslaughter ---- CNN, 4PM Friday Dec. 3​

This could prove to be a can of worms that might be better left alone. What happens when this same precedent is applied to the parents of gangbangers? We're going to need more prisons.

The school knew at least as much as the parents did....

I am sure the parents know their kid more than the school does...

Which is why when the shooting first hit the news -- the first thing his mom texted him was "don't do it" -- because she ALREADY KNEW

Most parents would be texting their children to see if they are safe......
So the school knew as much as the parents did and let it happen?

I mean, don't get me wrong. If you get a gun for a kid, you better have them well trained and know their tendencies, but if they are being charged for knowing he was unstable and likely to cause trouble, the school knew it too and let it happen.

Does the DA have armed police protection in courthouse where she works?

I bet she does

All that police protection and metal detectors should be used to protect the children not some lousy politician
Shootings happen in churches too........

Looking back...do you think this AME church is partly the blame for 9 of their members being murdered by a crazed gunman??

_00.rac008 (32).jpg

This could prove to be a can of worms that might be better left alone. What happens when this same precedent is applied to the parents of gangbangers? We're going to need more prisons.
That's the direction it should go in, in my view. Obviously not in every case, but all too often in these school shootings there's some pretty egregious negligence on the part of the parents.

Is searching for Ammo on your phone enough reason to take some sort of action other than notifying the parents?

Alone? No. Based upon other possible actions on his part? Maybe. That's a question we need to be asking.

You mean nothing other than saving the lives of 4 students

If a student wants to get a gun into a school with metal detectors, he's going to find a way. You're probably the same type of guy who thinks you'd easily incapacitate an active shooter in a crowded room with your firearm.

I am gun owner. Like 50 guns.

I have two sons. Growing up I taught them gun safety. I also kept all my firearms locked up and separate from ammo and magazines. Not that I was afraid my sons would do something stupid but I was afraid of their friends that would often be at our house.

Nowadays I keep everything locked up when the grandkids visit.

With firearm ownership comes a degree of responsibility.

It sounds like the parents didn't have that level of responsibility and actually knew that the kid was capable of doing a horrendous act.

No fucks given for the parents.

Forum List

Back