Parents Of Michigan High School Shooting Suspect Charged With Four Counts Of Involuntary Manslaughter

They facilitated the murders. They provided the means.
I agree. But I think it's important that the response focus on the real problem: parents unleashing dangerous kids on the world.

Sadly, this will devolve into a debate on the second amendment and gun control, because every.fucking.thing is fodder for the partisan pissing match.

Yes, I think all schools should have metal detectors....all schools should be gun-free zones....

It's odd tho....I always thought you right-wing ammosexuals hated gun-free zones..

And besides...why have these protections and rules when we know "criminals" like this kid won't follow the rules.....

I think metal detectors in school send a terrible message to students. It says "school is not a safe place for you to be". This instances while terribly sad are also very rare.

We are teaching people to always be scared.

I believe it is seriously a matter of whom one can identify with or relate to...Easier to paint these parents and this kid with a more sympathetic brush....Easier to excuse this away as a kid who was troubled....dealing with mental issues...etc....

But.......Let's say this kid was Muslim....no matter how "troubled" or "mentally unstable" we try to paint that kid out to be....If he murdered 4 of his classmates -- and then we find out he had a countdown to the shooting on his social media page -- and we find out that his mom texted him the day "Don't do it"....really, it won't even matter what she texted him, the fact she texted him at all would be seen as being complicit...

I have no doubt that there will be a massive call for both the parents and the child to be brought up on terror charges...and if they went to a mosque, that whole mosque would be under investigation too...

Remember, it wasn't that long ago that folks were calling this kid a terrorist for bring a clock to school.....I'm sure there are people who still would call him a terrorist.....imagine if he shot 4 people instead....

View attachment 571347
Oh, we remember that one quite well.

taking-my-clock-to-school-bomb.jpg

This is a perfect example of why stricter background checks should be done. Guns should not be in the homes that have mentally ill people residing within. If that were the case, no gun grabbing would be necessary because dumb fucks like this parent wouldnt have been allowed to purchase that weapon the first place.
LOL the kid had ZERO History of mental problems and NO history of acting out in school.

You dont want to see it

City Hall has cops running around all over the place and metal detectors

So the kid starts picking students off as they leave the school. We have seen that happen. Is that a better solution?

I think metal detectors in school send a terrible message to students. It says "school is not a safe place for you to be". This instances while terribly sad are also very rare.

I disagree. I think it sends an entirely opposite message. School is a safe place for you to be. Just like airlines and courthouses etc.

I think the school shootings probably scare the kids more than metal detectors...

Beats me. Should they be held accountable if the same kid drove a car through a crowd of innocent victims? Or are you just feasting in the gun control angle?
Like I said earlier, if they knew he was mentally ill and they knew he wanted to kill a bunch of people and they left the car keys laying around, then yes. You can argue your hypotheticals all you want. Fact is Michigan clearly spells out from the quote I gave you that these parents are criminally responsible. Dont like the law? Good luck convincing any sane person that it isnt a good law.

Like I said earlier, if they knew he was mentally ill and they knew he wanted to kill a bunch of people and they left the car keys laying around, then yes. You can argue your hypotheticals all you want. Fact is Michigan clearly spells out from the quote I gave you that these parents are criminally responsible. Dont like the law? Good luck convincing any sane person that it isnt a good law.
Again for the criminally insane the kid has no history of that,

I agree. But I think it's important that the response focus on the real problem: parents unleashing dangerous kids on the world.

Sadly, this will devolve into a debate on the second amendment and gun control, because every.fucking.thing is fodder for the partisan pissing match.
Actually this would be no different than parents leaving narcotics or dangerous prescription drugs where their child could find them.

I don't care about the specific law in question. I'm just saying the focus should be on the parental negligence. It shouldn't hinge on the technicality of firearms legislation. But, that's the way it will go. In part because it's easier, and in part because opportunistic politics will take over.

To put it another way, they shouldn't be able to weasel out of this buy merely beating the gun charge.

How would you do it?
First thing I'd do is prevent homes with mentally ill people residing within from owning guns. This could easily be a question on a gun app. You lie about it? Your sentence is the same as the person committing the crime.

Your solution does nothing to actually solve the problem. You want to put a band aid on a deep gash.

LOL the kid had ZERO History of mental problems and NO history of acting out in school.
So why did the school have a meeting with him and his parents on the day of the shooting??

Could they predict the future or was there some history of "concerning behavior" they were holding that meeting for??

I don't care about the specific law in question. I'm just saying the focus should be on parental negligence in general. It should hinge on the technicality of firearms legislation. But, that's the way it will go. In part because it's easier, and in part because opportunistic politics will take over.
Or because it is written law in Michigan. Which you seem to want to ignore.

I don't care about the specific law in question. I'm just saying the focus should be on parental negligence in general. It shouldn't hinge on the technicality of firearms legislation. But, that's the way it will go. In part because it's easier, and in part because opportunistic politics will take over.

To put it another way, they shouldn't be able to weasel out of this buy merely beating the gun charge.

Negligence may very well have played a role here. There are also many parents who understand there kid needs help but are unable to get it for them.

So why did the school have a meeting with him and his parents on the day of the shooting??

Could they predict the future or was there some history of "concerning behavior" they were holding that meeting for??
He acted out the day before and THAT day. are you incapable of reading an article? it clearly stated they had no grounds to punish him at school.

Forum List

Back