PC Alert! Middle School Honors Night too "exclusive"

A lot of stupid people chiming in on this thread.
Don't you realize that only the honored students and their parents were going to show up for honors night. By "exclusive" they mean a very small crowd.

They want EVERYONE to see these students honored.

In the rush to turn a middle school event into some political statement feet have been inserted into mouths.

What a bunch of idiots.

Strange that their follow up statement restarting the tradition says "we have decided to honor excellence as we had planned." if that be the case.

Instead of honoring excellence when the entire student body will be present, we'll do it "as planned" when just a few students and parents will be present.

The only odd thing about it, is the lack of reading comprehension demonstrated on these boards. I guess most of these posters won't be invited to honors night.

Don't you realize that only the honored students and their parents were going to show up for honors night. By "exclusive" they mean a very small crowd.

In the rush to turn a middle school event into some political statement feet have been inserted into mouths.

What a bunch of idiots.

The original email:

We would like to take this opportunity to notify you of a change to our annual spring events at Cole. Honors Night has been a longstanding tradition in our community -- one that was created in the Cole Junior High School era. Members of the school community have long expressed concerns related to the exclusive nature of Honors Night. Therefore, we have made the collective decision to recognize students during team- based recognition ceremonies and graduation. This will afford us the opportunity to celebrate the individual and collective successes of all students and their effort, progress, and excellence.

Bullshit. Nice attempt at spin there. I guarantee NONE of the parents of the honored complained that their kids had their own night to reward hard work and excellence. However I am SURE some parent of a kid who didn't quite make it was bitching and moaning about it.

What a bunch of idiots.

Strange that their follow up statement restarting the tradition says "we have decided to honor excellence as we had planned." if that be the case.

Instead of honoring excellence when the entire student body will be present, we'll do it "as planned" when just a few students and parents will be present.

The only odd thing about it, is the lack of reading comprehension demonstrated on these boards. I guess most of these posters won't be invited to honors night.

They do that at graduation as well. this was a separate, additional night to honor high achievers WITH THEIR FAMILIES. But some parents got butthurt over it, and the school knuckled under only to knuckle back when pressed on it.

Lot of reading between the lines among people who haven't really demonstrated a keen ability at reading the lines themselves.

Good fun.

They do that at graduation as well.

Link?

Last edited:
Lot of reading between the lines among people who haven't really demonstrated a keen ability at reading the lines themselves.

Good fun.

Link?

From the email:

decision to recognize students during team- based recognition ceremonies and graduation.

EVERY high school calls out high performers during graduation. We got our subject awards handed out when we graduated, and NHS people were told to stand.

It was never in dispute that honors were called out already during graduation. What was changed was ending a night where only the students who were to be honored were allowed to bring their parents out to see them be awarded. Instead they wanted to just say "atta boy" during school hours, no parents involved. Yet they wanted to keep the after school sports awards.

Its simple. Parents of average or below students were upset, complained, and we are where we are.

Good fun.

Link?

From the email:

decision to recognize students during team- based recognition ceremonies and graduation.

EVERY high school calls out high performers during graduation. We got our subject awards handed out when we graduated, and NHS people were told to stand.

It was never in dispute that honors were called out already during graduation. What was changed was ending a night where only the students who were to be honored were allowed to bring their parents out to see them be awarded. Instead they wanted to just say "atta boy" during school hours, no parents involved. Yet they wanted to keep the after school sports awards.

Its simple. Parents of average or below students were upset, complained, and we are where we are.

Ah that reading comprehension issue.

1) The email DOESN'T SAY they were going to recognize the honors at graduation anyway.

2) All high schools DO NOT recognize these honors at graduation

3) Parents are invited to in-school honors ceremonies.

4) This isn't a high school we are talking about anyway - it's a middle school.

5) There is no statement about ANYONE complaining.

Last edited:

Good fun.

Link?

From the email:

1) The email DOESN'T SAY they were going to recognize the honors at graduation anyway.

3) This isn't a high school we are talking about anyway - it's a middle school.

4) There is no statement about ANYONE complaining.

They did it at my grade school as well. Me and another girl swept all the awards, pissed the crap out of the rest of the parents.

We didn't have middle school, catholic school is 1-8 then 9-12, but the concept is the same.

A statement isn't needed. Everyone know why they did it. Why cancel an event for parents/students of high achievers that has been going on for decades "just because"

and if nit picking is the best you got in this argument, you've lost.

From the email:

They did it at my grade school as well. Me and another girl swept all the awards, pissed the crap out of the rest of the parents.

We didn't have middle school, catholic school is 1-8 then 9-12, but the concept is the same.

A statement isn't needed. Everyone know why they did it. Why cancel an event for parents/students of high achievers that has been going on for decades "just because"

A statement is not needed????????????

BWAAAHAAAAAA

It is just as easy to assume that faculty got feed up with showing up at night for 12 students and their parents - and thought having ALL students and their parents present was a better use of their time and more recognition to the high achievers.

I've attended at least 10 high school graduations a year for the past 11 years (I award scholarships) Scholarships are announced at high school graduations - not these other honors.

AND we aren't taking about a high school - we're talking about a middle school.

You're just making assumptions and then railing on about your assumptions. There is no evidence that your assumptions are correct.

BWAAAHAAAAAA

It is just as easy to assume that faculty got feed up with showing up at night for 12 students and their parents - and thought having ALL students and their parents present was a better use of their time and more recognition to the high achievers.

I've attended at least 10 high school graduations a year for the past 11 years (I award scholarships) Scholarships are announced at high school graduations - not these other honors.

You're just making assumptions and then railing on about your assumptions. There is no evidence that your assumptions are correct.

I'm sorry I can't pull middle school graduation programs out of thin air. Can you pull out a program showing NO indication of achievements being done? No? Then fuck off.

You are making the same TYPE of assumptions, but because you are an arrogant asshat you make it sound like your OPINION has some basis in reality. Again you are nit picking and not arguing the concepts put forth in this thread, which again means you have nothing meaningful to add.

So at those 10 graduations, they did not have the NHS kids stand up?

From the data we have the "parental butthurt" scenario has just as much validity as yours, what I am not doing is making my opinions sound anything else like what they are opinions. You place the burden of proof on my view when you do not place it on your view. And for that, go fuck yourself with a tire iron.

My wonderful daughter has been invited to her awards ceremony this evening. How the hell can I stand it?! I expect the school I sent her to.... to be more PC than that!

Last edited:

BWAAAHAAAAAA

I'm sorry I can't pull middle school graduation programs out of thin air. Can you pull out a program showing NO indication of achievements being done? No? Then fuck off.

You are making the same TYPE of assumptions, but because you are an arrogant asshat you make it sound like your OPINION has some basis in reality. Again you are nit picking and not arguing the concepts put forth in this thread, which again means you have nothing meaningful to add.

From the data we have the "parental butthurt" scenario has just as much validity as yours, what I am not doing is making my opinions sound anything else like what they are opinions. You place the burden of proof on my view when you do not place it on your view. And for that, go fuck yourself with a tire iron.

Nope - you are the only one making assumptions and reading things into this.
Sorry, that it pisses you off so much when I call you on it.

My wonderful daughter has been invited to her awards ceremony this evening. How the hell can I stand it?! I expect the school I sent her to be more PC than that!

Students have to be invited to the awards ceremony?

Not very inclusive, huh?

Middle school cancels annual honors night.

Don't want to hurt any feelings.

I bet those honors students didn't earn it. Or cheated. Or something.

The decay continues.

Cole Middle School Cancels Honors Night - Schools - East Greenwich, RI Patch

while I think it's silly, you did see that they're going to be honored at graduation and team ceremonies, right? so it's not like they won't receive their accolades. frankly, I think the kids are better off at an awards ceremony because now they'll have to sit through all that at graduation.

BWAAAHAAAAAA

Nope - you are the only one making assumptions and reading things into this.
Sorry, that it pisses you off so much when I call you on it.

Liar. Can you PROVE they weren't doing awards at graduation as well? no? Then again, go. fuck. yourself. with. a. tire. iron. Can you prove no parents complained about the ceremony? No? Go. fuck. yourself. with. a. RUSTY. tire. iron. I am not saying my views are facts, It is my opinion based on the evidence. If you can't grasp that you twiddling progressive asshat, then again, see the statements above.

The standard PC crap was attempted and people called them on it.

My wonderful daughter has been invited to her awards ceremony this evening. How the hell can I stand it?! I expect the school I sent her to be more PC than that!

Not very inclusive, huh?

Acknowledging Academic Achievement doesn't have to be inclusive. If you want your kid to be acknowledged make em work harder. If they can't, then get them used to the fact that they are at best average academically and find them something they ARE good at.

Not very inclusive, huh?

Acknowledging Academic Achievement doesn't have to be inclusive. If you want your kid to be acknowledged make em work harder. If they can't, then get them used to the fact that they are at best average academically and find them something they ARE good at.

Yet another incorrect assumption.
Not very inclusive, huh - means not many people in attendance. I know because I wrote it.

So an inclusive ceremony - like at a graduation - would mean that these special, few high achievers would get their accolades in front of a much wider audience.

Making the same mistake over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Last edited:

Not very inclusive, huh?

Yet another incorrect assumption.
Not very inclusive, huh - means not many people in attendance. I know because I wrote it.

So an inclusive ceremony - like at a graduation - would mean that these special, few high achievers would get their accolades in front of a much wider audience.

Making the same mistake over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Spin spin spin. When you try to be a vocabulary teacher ex post facto, you make yourself look like a loser.

The people there LIKED having the night for their high achieving kids to be recognized among themselves. They complained once the policy was changed. It was THEIR night, for them and their families.

and being a stubborn asshat that I have to reply to repeatedly gets me pos rep and a higher post count. So i win on content, and I win on volume.

Go scuttle to another post and pretend to be a moderate there.

Middle school cancels annual honors night.

Don't want to hurt any feelings.

I bet those honors students didn't earn it. Or cheated. Or something.

The decay continues.

Cole Middle School Cancels Honors Night - Schools - East Greenwich, RI Patch

The fix is pretty easy. It's Honors and Most Improved, and you invite all the kids but not all of them get rewarded.

That's how our school does it, but most don't show up. Funny how kids don't want to go to school unless they have to. In my experience, it's been the parents who were offended by this stuff more than the children.

I have had parents upset that my kids were in the TAG program and they said it was tantamount to telling the other children that they weren't smart. Some won't be happy no matter what.

Kids are all different and don't all learn at the same pace. It makes sense to try and address the different needs of students, some needing more help to keep up and others needing more work thrown at them to prevent them from getting bored. Kids usually seem content to handle what they are able. Parents are the ones who resent that your kid is smarter than theirs.

That's how our school does it, but most don't show up.
I think that is what the school was saying when they said the honors night was too exclusive. (Just a very few people showing up) and teachers don't like spending the whole evening at school (and the school board doesn't like the expense of keeping the school open all night) just for a dozen or so students and their parents. Wouldn't it be more efficient to hold it during the school day and wouldn't that guarantee that these students get their recognition in front of a lot more people?

Forum List

Back