🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Pelosi Suggests Delaying State of the Union

Why should Trump cramp his pants over the SOTU address? He probably prefers a delay until the shutdown is resolved anyway.

I doubt he really cares about the speech, but he's not used to people telling him he can't do what he wants. This is her way of saying fuck you.

Except that you, and others, apparently can't even read basic English, Pelosi didn't cancel the SOTU, because she can't , The President decides when and if he will address Congress not the other way around, and oh yeah the COTUS REQUIRES the POTUS to address Congress each year.

The Constitution requires him to report on the state of the union. Doesn't require him to actually go to the Capitol in person to do it.

So yeah, she can't stop him from doing it; all she can do is ask him to agree to postpone it, or look really petty and childish by outright refusing to let him come to the House to do it.

***Mods, please move this to the appropriate “catch all forum” if necessary. I don’t know if you guys are still doing that or not****

In a letter, House Speaker Pelosi asked the President to re-consider the date for the SOTU.

View attachment 240444

Terrible idea.

President Trump should say "no", the SOTU speech is a constitutional requirement and he could be impeached for not giving it on time.

President Trump should just scheduled the speech for another location. Maybe a stadium type setting where tens of thousands of others can hear it live as well.

***Mods, please move this to the appropriate “catch all forum” if necessary. I don’t know if you guys are still doing that or not****

In a letter, House Speaker Pelosi asked the President to re-consider the date for the SOTU.

View attachment 240444

Terrible idea.

Why would the government shutdown require postponing the State of the Union? Last time I checked, both the President and the House of Representatives were considered "essential government functions" and therefore still getting paid, so why can't they do their jobs?

You’d have to ask Nancy. Apparently her concerns are security concerns relative to Trump’s shutdown of the government.

Why should Trump cramp his pants over the SOTU address? He probably prefers a delay until the shutdown is resolved anyway.

I doubt he really cares about the speech, but he's not used to people telling him he can't do what he wants. This is her way of saying fuck you.

Except that you, and others, apparently can't even read basic English, Pelosi didn't cancel the SOTU, because she can't , The President decides when and if he will address Congress not the other way around, and oh yeah the COTUS REQUIRES the POTUS to address Congress each year.

The Constitution requires him to report on the state of the union. Doesn't require him to actually go to the Capitol in person to do it.

So yeah, she can't stop him from doing it; all she can do is ask him to agree to postpone it, or look really petty and childish by outright refusing to let him come to the House to do it.

The Speaker of the House can NOT prevent the President from coming to the Capitol building, and she can not refuse to let him speak in the House.

AND Pelosi didn't even tell him that, instead she REQUESTED that he postpone the address or do it elsewhere.

This is an example of how the Status Quo has set things up to hold the country hostage. Homeland Security functions such as border control and the Coast Guard should be essential services that are funded. Ask Congress why they did't fund them.

because neither them nor the POTUS give a fuck, it is all about politics and winning the pushing contest at recess.
That's not quite true. The President has provided cogent arguments in support of the smart fence and the Democrats have provided nothing of substance to support their opposition to it. In fact, the Democrats did not take a hard turn against it until Trump was nominated.

The POTUS had two years of full control of Congress and did not push for the wall...he waited till the Dems held the House...why is that?
Again, that's simply not true. He has been pushing the smart fence since day one of his presidency, and he tried to reason with the Democrats to no avail, so we now have a shutdown that will last until support for the smart fence, which is steadily growing, forces the Democrats to seek a face saving way of backing down.
Then why didn’t he want the $25 billion Democrats offered him a year ago?
From the first days of his administration, Trump stated that he wanted to find a fair resolution to the so called "Dreamers" and he offered to give them and many more illegals who are already here a path to citizenship in exchange for funding for the fence, but the Democrats insisted he also abandon his plans for immigration reform as a condition for the funding, and that he refused to do. The President laid out his proposal in a State of the Union address, so if all the Democrats wanted was a path to citizenship for the "dreamers" the deal would have been done over a year ago.

This is an example of how the Status Quo has set things up to hold the country hostage. Homeland Security functions such as border control and the Coast Guard should be essential services that are funded. Ask Congress why they did't fund them.

because neither them nor the POTUS give a fuck, it is all about politics and winning the pushing contest at recess.
That's not quite true. The President has provided cogent arguments in support of the smart fence and the Democrats have provided nothing of substance to support their opposition to it. In fact, the Democrats did not take a hard turn against it until Trump was nominated.

The POTUS had two years of full control of Congress and did not push for the wall...he waited till the Dems held the House...why is that?
Again, that's simply not true. He has been pushing the smart fence since day one of his presidency, and he tried to reason with the Democrats to no avail, so we now have a shutdown that will last until support for the smart fence, which is steadily growing, forces the Democrats to seek a face saving way of backing down.
Then why didn’t he want the $25 billion Democrats offered him a year ago?
Now Fawn you went and spoiled their day

I will give Pelosi this:

She's not quite stupid enough to gently submit to the ass-whipping she and her Democrat Party Comrades are in for come State-of-The-Union time. If there is any actual threat to President Trump it will come from a drug-crazed liberal underwritten by some major Hillary-besotted supporter. Better have drug-sniffing dogs (big toothy ones) at the door of the chamber.

Trump reply...."GFY".....

The Speaker invites the President to the House for the State of the Union address. The Speaker is NOT inviting the President to a public televised event. There is no way she's going to give the orange shitstain is going to walk into HER House, and have a platform to speak to the nation, and in a grand spectacle.

Trump loves spectacle. It plays to his vanity to be seen as "presidential". She's just pulled the football out from under him.

Someone had the idea a while back of getting rid of the whole congressional address for the SOTU. Have a stage where the President can give a presentation with screens and multi media. Essentially what Tim Cook and Steve Jobs did when they launched the IPHONE.

I like the idea myself. I always thought it was sort of stupid to have a location that couldn’t house all of the people of the federal government.

I would take that idea further and send Congress home, they don't need to be congregated in DC, they can do all the vast majority of their business over the internet.

Not sure about that. Considering many are over 70, I don’t think they would do that well with technology.

They have their staffers do everything else for them.

not true

View attachment 240444

Terrible idea.

President Trump should say "no", the SOTU speech is a constitutional requirement and he could be impeached for not giving it on time.
No such requirement exists. A speech is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution. Nor is it required it be every year; just “time to time”.

President Trump should just scheduled the speech for another location. Maybe a stadium type setting where tens of thousands of others can hear it live as well.

A possibility. I’d prefer a TED Talks atmosphere myself.

View attachment 240444

Terrible idea.

Why would the government shutdown require postponing the State of the Union? Last time I checked, both the President and the House of Representatives were considered "essential government functions" and therefore still getting paid, so why can't they do their jobs?

You’d have to ask Nancy. Apparently her concerns are security concerns relative to Trump’s shutdown of the government.

Yeah, and if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

The Speaker of the House can NOT prevent the President from coming to the Capitol building, and she can not refuse to let him speak in the House.

AND Pelosi didn't even tell him that, instead she REQUESTED that he postpone the address or do it elsewhere.

He can't go to the People's House without an invitation. Just like Nancy can't walk into the White House and speak from the Oval Office without an invitation from Trump. These are co-equal branches of government.

Trump can report on the State of the Union in a letter to Congress, as was the case until recent years. All requirements are met and unpaid employees aren't being forced to work overtime to make it happen.

Not sure how true it is but the way I have always heard that it worked was that the Speaker has to invite the President as the ranking Congressional officer. So she could withdraw the invitation for what we know to be the STOU; that would be another stupid idea.

But the President isn’t in a position of saying GFY.

I do think the President could force the Congress to re-convene; not sure about the in-person address at the same time though.

Elect a clown, get a circus.

~~~~~~
Hmm...., Seems it's time for Trump to have fireside chats with the 'People'. I'm sure that would drive the Left up a wall....

I'd have to look it up, but I believe she can, in fact, refuse to let him speak in House chambers.

Agree. This is getting good. Too bad he doesn't take advice from Mitch & Lindsay, he'd stand a better shot at winning. Nancy and Chuck don't care what happens to the country as long as they think they are winning with their base.

Getting good???

Idiot, this shutdown is contracting our economy by 0.1% GDP evey week (administration's own estimate) and it's cost to the Federal government is quickly aproaching THE FULL COST OF WHAT TRUMP HAS SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT OVER.

To put this into simple terms: A Ham Sandwich would at this point be doing 4 Billion dollar better deal than our current "Deal Artist" in the the White House.
Nancy and Shumer should of gave Trump the money in the begining. We would have part of the wall and goverment would've never shut down.

The Speaker invites the President to the House for the State of the Union address. The Speaker is NOT inviting the President to a public televised event. There is no way she's going to give the orange shitstain is going to walk into HER House, and have a platform to speak to the nation, and in a grand spectacle.

Trump loves spectacle. It plays to his vanity to be seen as "presidential". She's just pulled the football out from under him.

Someone had the idea a while back of getting rid of the whole congressional address for the SOTU. Have a stage where the President can give a presentation with screens and multi media. Essentially what Tim Cook and Steve Jobs did when they launched the IPHONE.

I like the idea myself. I always thought it was sort of stupid to have a location that couldn’t house all of the people of the federal government.

I would take that idea further and send Congress home, they don't need to be congregated in DC, they can do all the vast majority of their business over the internet.

Not sure about that. Considering many are over 70, I don’t think they would do that well with technology.

They have their staffers do everything else for them.

not true

Yes it is. You think the Congressmembers themselves read the bills they vote on? Puhleeze. They have staffers who read and research them, and then submit a summary brief.

How many spending bills did he sign without when he had both Houses of Congress? Why did he not shut it down then?

View attachment 240444

Terrible idea.

Yeah, and if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

:290968001256257790-final:

Why doesn't Pelosi just pass an ACCEPTABLE budget and then the SOTU can be held as scheduled without a problem in the WH?

Gawd forbid Trump gets an hour or so to condemn AND poke fun at the Democrats on network TV. :auiqs.jpg:

Pelosi asks Trump to reschedule SOTU because of the shutdown

Exactly, they are afraid what it will do to their cause...the Boomerang effect is alive and well....the shutdown is going unnoticed by almost all Americans..... and more Americans are waking up to the waves of illegals who are marching to our border...
Who said it's not being noticed by most Americans?

Not sure how true it is but the way I have always heard that it worked was that the Speaker has to invite the President as the ranking Congressional officer. So she could withdraw the invitation for what we know to be the STOU; that would be another stupid idea.

But the President isn’t in a position of saying GFY.

I do think the President could force the Congress to re-convene; not sure about the in-person address at the same time though.

Elect a clown, get a circus.

~~~~~~
Hmm...., Seems it's time for Trump to have fireside chats with the 'People'. I'm sure that would drive the Left up a wall....

As I rarely watch the pervert, I wouldn’t know if he did.

Forum List

Back