Zone1 People are always punishing or wanting to punish others but never themselves (Penance)

forkintheroad7

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2024
Yeh, we are all guilty of this kind of thing, just as we are all guilty of just whatever we may try to accuse others of.

We get ticked off at someone and want to punish the person somehow: refuse to speak to him, get sarcastic, you name it.

But how often do we punish ourselves? And isn't that what Jesus meant when He said "Unless you do penance, you will perish [in Hell]"

Jesus doesn't care about us perishing by simply dying, as He knows we all do, so we know he means "perish in Hell."

So, to define Penance: It is sacrificing something or enduring something painful for the sake of expiating our sins. The protestants claim that Jesus did EVERYTHING on the Cross and so we humans don't have to do anything.

Excuse me? Jesus was God. Yes, he was man also, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make. No one is magically made perfectly pure and holy just by "accepting Christ" whatever subjective meaning that term may have.

So anyhow, next time you feel hatred for someone because that person sinned against you somehow.. you may want to remember to also punish yourself for your sins which are no better and could be a lot worse.. and God would appreciate that and probably bless you for it..

Yeh, we are all guilty of this kind of thing, just as we are all guilty of just whatever we may try to accuse others of.

We get ticked off at someone and want to punish the person somehow: refuse to speak to him, get sarcastic, you name it.

But how often do we punish ourselves? And isn't that what Jesus meant when He said "Unless you do penance, you will perish [in Hell]"

Jesus doesn't care about us perishing by simply dying, as He knows we all do, so we know he means "perish in Hell."

So, to define Penance: It is sacrificing something or enduring something painful for the sake of expiating our sins. The protestants claim that Jesus did EVERYTHING on the Cross and so we humans don't have to do anything.

Excuse me? Jesus was God. Yes, he was man also, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make. No one is magically made perfectly pure and holy just by "accepting Christ" whatever subjective meaning that term may have.

So anyhow, next time you feel hatred for someone because that person sinned against you somehow.. you may want to remember to also punish yourself for your sins which are no better and could be a lot worse.. and God would appreciate that and probably bless you for it..
Penance: Wallowing in your guilt without repentance.

Forum List

Back