People Are So Desperate To Leave California

Tell me you don't live in SoCal without telling me you don't live in SoCal. 7 miles is close enough to enjoy that angel's kiss of the Pacific Ocean every night and a 1200 sq ft, 50 yr old house is just what we are looking for.
Actually, we would take one older and smaller if the location was right. If you lived in SoCal, you'd know those old houses are on big lots and you can raze the old houses to the ground and build what you want. We'll build our new home, plus an ADU or two, to bring in extra income. I can ride my bicycle up the Strand to lunch on Coronado. Nothing like life in paradise! If only there was something for sale in our preferred location, we would buy it today.
No doubt, we have different definitions of "great" house, and "near" the beach.

They'll even move to Minnesota, where the climate is better. And not only do they not regret their move, but they bring friends and family with them. Can it get any more embarrassing for California?

then they regret their decisions but can't afford to move back

Minnesota has the climate people prefer. 4 seasons.
You can have the four seasons. I'll take the 70-80 degree temps during the day and 55-60 degrees at night, consistent all year. No freezing temps in the winter or hell-fire heat in the summer. No snow shoveling or paying for your driveway to be plowed all winter. No bugs, no heat, I don't even have A/C in my house and I don't need it. My electric bill is about $60 per month because I have solar on my roof which produces electricity all year long.

I laugh at people who say they like bad weather. Why? I've lived in both and there is no comparison to perfect weather every day.

then they regret their decisions but can't afford to move back
This is true. Most people who leave California cannot afford to come back. I left California for Oklahoma (state of my birth) to be near family 12 years ago. I made serious $$$ on the house I sold in CA. I saved all that profit and when I could not take Oklahoma anymore, I still had that nest egg that let me move back to paradise. And now I will have a nice return on my current house. California will always pay you good money on your real estate. You won't lose money.

Violent crime, theft, millions forced out of their homes into tents, inflated rents, drug use rampant, perversion in the streets, massive taxation, illegal aliens pouring in. It's really a no brainer why millions are fleeing that third world state.

Butbutbutbut California has the fifth largest economy in the world!
It will stay that way forever and ever and ever no matter how many taxpayers and businesses move out!

They'll even move to Minnesota, where the climate is better. And not only do they not regret their move, but they bring friends and family with them. Can it get any more embarrassing for California?

This is where thinking outside the box helps. Just south of California is this great country called Mexico with much cheaper rent. Some from California are relocating down there for the cheaper cost of living and working remotely up in California. I think it is a brilliant idea that more people in California who are struggling should try. With more and more people working remotely these days living in Mexico should be a great idea more people in California should consider.

Wrong. $900,000 would buy exactly what we want, closer to the water. Do you live here? No? I thought not, otherwise you would not make that false claim about real estate in my city.

Mind you I am not that far from the water now. Less than 7 miles but the closer you are to the water, the cooler the weather and I am all about that cool Pacific breeze blowing over my body at night like an angel's kiss.

I would never live in Minnesota. Not when I can live in SoCal paradise.

Name any town along the coast from San Diego to Dana Point where you can get waterfront property for under 1.4 million.

Provide links please.

My wife's parents live in Del Mar so we know the area very well.

This is where thinking outside the box helps. Just south of California is this great country called Mexico with much cheaper rent. Some from California are relocating down there for the cheaper cost of living and working remotely up in California. I think it is a brilliant idea that more people in California who are struggling should try. With more and more people working remotely these days living in Mexico should be a great idea more people in California should consider.

Yeah, you just have to deal with the cartels killing random people all of the time.

Name any town along the coast from San Diego to Dana Point where you can get waterfront property for under 1.4 million.

Provide links please.

I said CLOSER to the water. Prices in Chula are not anywhere near what they are in Del Mar. We are nearly on the border and prices go down the closer you are to the border. If you lived here, you'd know that. It is more than reasonable to find a single family home on a decent lot (relatively speaking), near downtown Chula Vista for under $900,000. Do a search on realtor.com for downtown Chula Vista real estate. I'm not going to spoon feed it to you. I can live a couple of miles from the water and have even cooler weather and be closer to the part of town we prefer. We've been looking for nearly a year. The burbs are getting boring. My house will sell in 2-3 weeks, according to the real estate market in my neighborhood.

Yeah, you just have to deal with the cartels killing random people all of the time.
We would do that today if we didn't have a medical issue preventing us from living outside the U.S. We would live somewhere in Baja on the ocean.

Provide links please.

Properties along the ocean start at 5 million. This is the Dana Point, San Clemente area. A mobile home will be $200,000 to $400,000 with a land lease of $4,500 a month.

Panama is a better choice if you are retiring, but not so much if you are still working

California still collects their taxes.

The problem is that all those people leaving CA are taking their progressive liberal policies with them, even though they pretty much effed up the state they're leaving. Funny that they're going to Minnesota though, I'll be interested to see what happens after they freeze their butts off in the 1st year or two, I bet they'll be heading for FL or TX shortly thereafter. Minnesota is already kinda effed up though politically, so not a big change there.

It is a negative for California, who is bleeding citizens.
We have nearly 40 million. People have come and gone for the 25 years I've lived here. And people have crowed about the destruction of California due to population and business loss for every single one of those 25 years. When do you think we will finally destruct? Because we are doing great right now. We could use a few less people who can't afford to live here.

Forum List

Back