Petraeus Says Florida Church Koran Burning Threatens Troops

Burning korans is stupid, entirely irresponsible thing to do. No good will come of it unless your idea of good is inciting muslims to become more aggravated.

Been thinking about it a little more. Ive changed my mind. I dont think Petraeus should have said anything. Not because it's untrue or because he doesn't have the right to speak out. In fact, I'm glad someone said it. But because of his position, more people are paying attention to this story now and that could inadvertedly make things worse.

yeah well, maybe. Or maybe not.

At least you think independently instead of glomming onto nonsense to be accepted and or popular.

Nothing wrong with being wrong if you take a chance on testing new ideas.

BTW, GenPat did his job and has to make the mission in Afpakistan work.

What was he sposed to do? Say nothing while all hell broke loose threatening the entire war?

We all have a lot invested in this war either working or ending asap.

Just asking.

your idea of good is inciting muslims to become more aggravated.

that is precisely their idea of good.

My God is bigger than your god!

You may have caused our whole economy to collapse using only boxcutters, but we won't fail like the former Soviet Union! Mooselimb trash!

Been thinking about it a little more. Ive changed my mind. I dont think Petraeus should have said anything. Not because it's untrue or because he doesn't have the right to speak out. In fact, I'm glad someone said it. But because of his position, more people are paying attention to this story now and that could inadvertedly make things worse.

yeah well, maybe. Or maybe not.

At least you think independently instead of glomming onto nonsense to be accepted and or popular.

Nothing wrong with being wrong if you take a chance on testing new ideas.

BTW, GenPat did his job and has to make the mission in Afpakistan work.

What was he sposed to do? Say nothing while all hell broke loose threatening the entire war?

We all have a lot invested in this war either working or ending asap.

Just asking.

Well, from what I can tell, the Pastor likes former Presidentn Bush. Perhaps they could have had President Bush talk to the man in private about it. Let them know their concerns without bringing attention to it.

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said 'Stop! don't do it!' 'Why shouldn't I?' he said. I said, 'Well, there's so much to live for!' He said, 'Like what?' I said, 'Well...are you religious or atheist?' He said, 'Religious.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?' He said, 'Christian.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?' He said, 'Protestant.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?' He said, 'Baptist!' I said, 'Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist church of god or Baptist church of the lord?' He said, 'Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you original Baptist church of god, or are you reformed Baptist church of god?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!' I said, 'Die, heretic scum,' and pushed him off. ~Emo Phillips

your idea of good is inciting muslims to become more aggravated.

that is precisely their idea of good.

My God is bigger than your god!

You may have caused our whole economy to collapse using only boxcutters, but we won't fail like the former Soviet Union! Mooselimb trash!

This is all tit for tat nonsense. This week they will burn a Koran, next week someone will burn a bible. The week after that it will be a cross, and then perhaps someone will throw pork rinds at an imam. It is pointless emotional escalation that won't help anything.

YES. Reread what is being said, MILLIONS of Muslims across the planet will react violently to the Burning of a Koran. In all Muslim Countries and all Muslim enclaves in the middle east.
Patreus said that? Link? Who said that?

Pressure rises on pastor who wants to burn Quran - Yahoo! News

Read it and weep. Since you are kinda slow I will quote for you.

Gen. David Petraeus warned Tuesday in an e-mail to The Associated Press that "images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan — and around the world — to inflame public opinion and incite violence."
:thup: As I thought, he didn't say MILLIONS.

I can't believe that anyone on this board would even bring politics into this or try to rebuke Petraeus' decision to state publicly what he did. It's common sense. Radical Islam is an ideology, which can be strengthened or weakened and translate directly to added attacks. What do you think fuels attacks? Ideas. You can kill people. You can't kill an ideology, only strengthen it by such insanely insulting acts such as burning a Koran. Something a Kingergardner would do. The act of burning a Koran strengthens their ideology and in particular the idea that America is evil and against Islam. It may increase attacks against our troops.This is really going to piss off a lot of radicalists. Some Americans seem to be so pigheaded and egotistical, that they refuse to do anything that might represent 'bowing down' to radical islam, even if it simply the remission of an act such as burning a Koran. I find it extremely selfish that anyone would politicize this. You fuel the fire, you get burned. The problem, is that this guy is not going to be the one getting burned. It is going to be the families of the troops who may die as a result of increased attacks on US troops abroad. Use common fucking sense, and try not to be so smart. This is simple math.

Its people like you that has given Islam extremist a stronghold here in America and have allowed the murder of tens of thousands throughout the world.

Maybe the Wall Street Journal shouldn't have asked him the question to begin with. What else could he say...no comment? He said the book burning would be used by the Taliban against the troops...I'm not seeing where he answered incorrectly.

I can't believe that anyone on this board would even bring politics into this or try to rebuke Petraeus' decision to state publicly what he did. It's common sense. Radical Islam is an ideology, made, by definition, of ideas. The act of burning a Koran strengthens their ideology and in particular the idea that America is evil and against Islam. It may contribute to even one more attack on troops. I would guess more. This is really going to piss off a lot of radicalists. Some Americans seem to be so pigheaded and egotistical, that they refuse to do anything that might represent 'bowing down' to radical islam, even if it simply the remission of an act such as burning a Koran. I find it extremely selfish that anyone would politicize this. You fuel the fire, you get burned. The problem, is that this guy is not going to be the one getting burned. It is going to be the families of the troops who may die as a result of increased attacks on US troops abroad. Use common fucking sense, and try not to be so smart. This is simple math.

shitstains don't really do common fucking sense.

They do uncommon fucking nonsense as a rule.

with a few notable exceptions.

Agreed. There seems to be a shared pathology of ego within a lot of Americans, who are so wrapped up in their identity as this or that, they can't see things clearly, and defend and hold onto ideas so tightly, that they can't see the 'grey' which does exist in all of our realities. JEverything is black and white. Right or wrong. Patriotic or unpatriotic. American or un-American. Christian or not christian. Moral or not moral. It's child-like. Yo'ure supposed to learn to think for yourself, however, many, on both sides, but most obnoxiously on the right, seem to still bow down to their circles consensus on what is the trend of beliefs simply to conform. I honestly think these people are just insecure and cling to these beliefs to feel closer to others who share the same beliefs. Kind of like sheep. Their beliefs make them feel less insignificant, and backed by everyone else who believe the same thing. That's why idiots like Beck actually have a backing- insecurity and inability to face vulnerabiltity in life. It's like high school. Idiots stick together simply to avoid seeing the truth of reality, by pumping themselves full of short-sighted and intellectually void ideas to create a smoother reality that they can more easily digest. That is my contention anyways. I don't know why I went into this, I just find it pyschologically interesting why most of those on the right seemed to have become so radical and collectively unreasonable.

OH WOW holier than thou kiss my America patriotic ass.

Maybe the Wall Street Journal shouldn't have asked him the question to begin with. What else could he say...no comment? He said the book burning would be used by the Taliban against the troops...I'm not seeing where he answered incorrectly.

Does it matter? The Taliban does not need an excuse to kill that already have their marching orders. It has been burned in their minds since their youth to kill any infidel that does not convert. Anything except appeasement and submission will incite them

Does it matter? The Taliban does not need an excuse to kill that already have their marching orders. It has been burned in their minds since their youth to kill any infidel that does not convert. Anything except appeasement and submission will incite them

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Islamic fanatics look for excuses to do violence. They see things in their lives as a gift from Allah. They already are angry, they just need something to push them over the edge. Burning Korans or just announcing that you're considering burning Korans is enough to set them off. Imagine what thousands of Charles Mansons let loose in America would do to this country. That's pretty much what some Middle Eastern regions are dealing with.

Personally I think they should watch more TV. Take up a hobby. Find something constructive to do rather then destructive.

Last edited:
I can't believe that anyone on this board would even bring politics into this or try to rebuke Petraeus' decision to state publicly what he did. It's common sense. Radical Islam is an ideology, which can be strengthened or weakened and translate directly to added attacks. What do you think fuels attacks? Ideas. You can kill people. You can't kill an ideology, only strengthen it by such insanely insulting acts such as burning a Koran. Something a Kingergardner would do. The act of burning a Koran strengthens their ideology and in particular the idea that America is evil and against Islam. It may increase attacks against our troops.This is really going to piss off a lot of radicalists. Some Americans seem to be so pigheaded and egotistical, that they refuse to do anything that might represent 'bowing down' to radical islam, even if it simply the remission of an act such as burning a Koran. I find it extremely selfish that anyone would politicize this. You fuel the fire, you get burned. The problem, is that this guy is not going to be the one getting burned. It is going to be the families of the troops who may die as a result of increased attacks on US troops abroad. Use common fucking sense, and try not to be so smart. This is simple math.

If what you say is true then a full blown war against this "ideology" is already inevitable. Unless of course we listen to pussies like you and just let it take over the world.

PS: Are you actually too stupid to realize that by labeling it an ideology YOU are also politicizing it? Dumbass. :lol:

Oh....by the way...fresh off his State Department paid tour of fence mending in the Middle East.....Imam Rauf says he's not backing off from building the mosque.

This is what these people do. They feel they are right and nobody can tell them otherwise. Some of them even think God is speaking to them. Burning these Korans just tells their targeted antagonist that it's okay to be an asshole. "You burn our Korans...we'll build our mosques". Next it will be...."Now that we are established...we dare you to piss us off again. We'll blow your asses up". This has been going on in Israel for decades. Nobody is willing to turn the other cheek.

Islamic fanatics look for excuses to do violence. They see things in their lives as a gift from Allah. They already are angry, they just need something to push them over the edge. Burning Korans or just announcing that you're considering burning Korans is enough to set them off. Imagine what thousands of Charles Mansons let loose in America would do to this country. That's pretty much what some Middle Eastern regions are dealing with.

Personally I think they should watch more TV. Take up a hobby. Find something constructive to do rather then destructive.
Mudwhistle
As I said they do not need an excuse, you cannot reason with people who do not even value their own life. Burning their book would hurt them more then killing 5000 Jihadist.

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Afghan protesters chanted "death to America" and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its military convoy. Some of the protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy, although officials told the rock-throwers to stop.

Military officials fear the protests are likely to spread beyond Kabul to other Afghan cities. In interviews with various media outlets, Mr. Jones has denied his protest will put troops in danger. Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration but has said he plans to go forward with the his protest anyway.

Mr. Jones leads a tiny church of just 50 people, but his threat to burn the Muslim holy book has been condemned around the world and has garnered him international attention.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on precisely what kinds of threats or violence could occur in the wake of such a demonstration. But westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places as tensions arise over the matter.

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Who are you going to believe, General Petraeus or this dumbass pastor?

Normally the Left would be Denouncing the Military Industrial Complex Trying to Hinder "Free Speech"...

Curious, these Times.

:)

peace...

The generals specifically said they are not trying to impede anyone's first amendment rights.

Pentagon officials said they were not aware that any Defense officials have reached out directly to Mr. Jones. But military officers said they hoped that Gen. Petraeus's statement—an unusual move since military commanders rarely get involved in politics—would persuade Mr. Jones to change his plans.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on the nature of the threats or violence that could occur, but westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from public places.

Other senior military leaders echoed Gen. Petraeus's comments. Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, who oversees the effort to train Afghan security forces, said he was informed of the planned Florida protests several days ago by a senior minister in the Afghan government.

Gen. Caldwell said many Afghans do not understand either the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment or the fact that President Barack Obama can't simply issue a decree
to stop Mr. Jones from his demonstration.

Military officials said they were not trying to deny Mr. Jones his right to free speech, but feared he wasn't thinking about the consequences of his actions.

"There is no question about First Amendment rights; that is not the issue," Gen. Caldwell said. "The question is: What is the implication over here? It is going to jeopardize the men and women serving in Afghanistan."

Military officials also fear that if video of the Quran burning is broadcast in Afghanistan, tensions could rise between NATO forces and the Afghan military and police. Allegations of mishandling the Quran have interrupted Afghan security training at least twice this year, Gen. Caldwell said. Reports about the Quran have set off violent protests before. A report in Newsweek, later retracted, that a U.S. interrogator at the Guantanamo Bay prison had flushed a Quran down a toilet set off riots in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Both Jones and Rauf have freedom of speech, one to book burn and the other to build a mosque. They have the legal right to do these things. Both of them are flaming idiots for doing such things, in my opinion, but I defend their rights as Americans to do such stupid things.

Forum List

Back