Phoenix mosque to be target of Muhammad cartoon contest

PHOENIX -- Local police and the FBI say they're aware that a man is planning a rally outside a Phoenix mosque during Friday prayer services that will include a contest of drawings depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

Phoenix mosque to be target of Muhammad cartoon contest - CBS News

On the one hand, you have a Constitution given right to protect your freedom of speech. On the other hand, why do you need to be an asshole in order to enjoy this kind of freedom? Of course, you can call Muslims savages and portray their Prophet in a negative way but why? Why do you have to insult other people on purpose in order to express yourself and prove you are still free? I don't understand that. There are a lot of things you are allowed to do in this country. Yet, knowing that it can be insulting for your friends, relatives and other people, you don't do them. Why don't we treat Muslims the same way?

are you ok with the piss christ "artwork"? are you ok with all the meme's about jesus?

it is funny, because i have never seen a liberal have a problem about mocking jesus, but have a huge problem mocking muhammad....why is that?

Well nobody but the most ignorant or most unobservant would accuse me of being any kind of liberal, but I have a huge problem with mocking both. I see it as mean spirited, unkind, poor manners, and unnecessarily confrontational.

Tell that to all those people who were offended and emotionally hurt by Westboro Baptist church.​
The leftists, the ones demanding that free speech be denied to those who offend their allies in radical Islam, are the ones behind the Westboro Baptist fraud, and behind Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, Family Guy, etc.

I know, some are far more equal than others.​

Who's denying free speech to anyone?

NEA is publically funded so that's the rub in my opinion Coyote .

Funding anti-Christian art is fine, just as long as offense to the democrats terrorist allies is outlawed!

Coyote finds some FAR more equal than others...

You seem confused.

Funding art competitions is fine.

Does that clarify things?

update Alert alert , --- Mohammed cartoon contest Police prepare for crowds - CNN.com --- just update info , video , police are on the scene .

{Events like this one and other developments have Muslims in the area scared, said Imraan Siddiqi with the Council on American-Islamic Relations.}

Yeah, the Muzzie Beasts are afraid that when they go to attack the Americans, they will be shot and killed like their fellow Muslims were in Texas. The Americans WILL be armed and will shoot back. Muslims aren't used to that.

I'm Christian by birth but not particularly religious. I find it sadly ironic that the people who think it's wrong to mock Muhammad are the same people who tell Christians to lighten up when Christianity is mocked. It's also funny how these left wing nutters develop amnesia all of a sudden so they can't seem to remember Christianity ever being mocked.

What also pegs the Irony Meter is that Islam is everything that the left is supposed to hate, only twice so. They are violent, homophobic in the extreme, misogynist to a fault, and they have no quarrel with the belief that others should be forced to obey their laws.

Kudos to those brave and defiant souls who demonstrate to Islam that they don't intimidate everyone. The day that they hold a drawing contest here in Orlando, I will enter. I'm a pretty good cartoonist myself.

Why? Because fuck them and fuck Muhammad.

There is a difference between mocking a religion and choosing to insult a follower. One is general, on is specific and designed to be hurtful. Printing anti-religious cartoons in a publication known for it's irreverence is an example of the former. Demonstrating in front of a place of worship with signs designed to hurt, inflame and demonize is an example of the latter.

Not true. The mosque is a symbol of the religion, demonstrating in front of a symbol is mocking a religion and NOT a follower.

The mosque is also a symbol of the community - it's a community center with family activities, children's activities, and worship. When you're demonstrating in front of it with hateful signs you are no more demonstrating against the religion than neo-nazi protestors protesting in front of a synagogue.

Wrong. You can twist it any way you want it the Mosque is a symbol of Islam. See if you can answer this question honestly:

Do you think that those people who are protesting, are protesting against that community or against Islam?

They chose a specific place and group of people. This wasn't just a general event. It was designed to hurt people who's place of worship was being targeted.

Yeah I didn't expect you to be honest.

93 here today, 10 degrees hotter outside the shade....still it's Friday and most here work from 7-3 so there will be plenty of rubber-neckers and honking horns. Don't know what "bikers" will be there since the Angels took over the Dirty Dozen most other clubs are either dispersing or laying low. Everybody there will be carrying concealed so if there's a spark there could be a fire.

Phoenix mosque to be target of Muhammad cartoon contest - CBS News

On the one hand, you have a Constitution given right to protect your freedom of speech. On the other hand, why do you need to be an asshole in order to enjoy this kind of freedom? Of course, you can call Muslims savages and portray their Prophet in a negative way but why? Why do you have to insult other people on purpose in order to express yourself and prove you are still free? I don't understand that. There are a lot of things you are allowed to do in this country. Yet, knowing that it can be insulting for your friends, relatives and other people, you don't do them. Why don't we treat Muslims the same way?

For the same reason democrats have to put Jesus in a jar of piss, and fabricate the virgin Mary from elephant shit.

Of course leftists have no problem with that...
Democrats did that? :lol:

It's defiance. Pure and simple and noble.

Why is deliberately hurting innocent people who've done nothing to you "pure and simple and noble"?

Why does it "hurt" them? How does a contest that they are not part, and of not forced to be part of, hurt them?

It's pure and simple and noble because it is defiance of oppression. It is bravery in the face of threats of violence from a barbaric cult.

It is bad manners just as sticking your middle finger in somebody's face is bad manners. I would like to think we Americans are better than that. And that bad manners would be something discouraged and condemned instead of applauded whether it is directed at Christians or Jews or Muslims or people of different races or accordian players.

I am as angry and appalled as anybody at Islamic militancy that physically hurts people. That should be tolerable nowhere. But that should be dealt with via the law--either the Muslims adopt a live and let live attitude and behave themselves as honorable and decent citizens or they should be in jail or deported. And if we expect Muslims to demonstrate good manners related to the rest of society, we should expect the rest of society to demonstrate good manners toward Muslims.

It is as wrong for us to taunt and insult peaceful Muslims as it is wrong for Islam to punish the innocent for some perceived offense.

Bad manners, got it.

We are going to fight radical Islam with good manners. Oooookaaaaayyy.

If that is what you got out of my post, I truly do think we are all doomed to ignorance and more stupidity instead of seeing the wisdom of becoming the grown ups in the room. But oh well. . .

No, but you did talk about being civil, I exaggerayed your part about manners to make a point.

So people who don't agree with you opinion are ignorant, stupid, and immature? Oh well....

and muslims would like their rules and laws to apply to Americans Coyote !!

I won't hold my breath because there has never been any evidence to support it but here goes - do you have any evidence that Muslims in America want to impose sharia?

I don't know all Muslims in America and there aren't enough Muslims in my state to even register as a demographic. But the few I have had this discussion with both locally and on line all do support Sharia law as the way Allah intends the world to be. They do having varying understandings of what Sharia law should be, but all the various interpretations would be unacceptable to non-Muslims.

But the Muslims who classify themselves as peaceful expect this to be accomplished by attrition and attracting people to Islam until it achieves a sufficient majority to make Sharia Law the law of the land. And those who go out of their way to denigrate and ridicule and diminish our JudeoChristian heritage are inadvertently aiding and abetting Islam in that goal. Wherever a vaccum is created, Islam is more than happy to rush in to fill it.

But if we believe in liberty, the Muslims among us are as entitled to believe what they believe as we non-Muslims are entitled to believe what we believe. But Muslims should not be able to act out their beliefs to the detriment of other people's person or property any more than any of the rest of us should be able to do with with impunity.

We have a small but fluctuating Muslim community representing people from a variety of cultural backgrounds that include multi-generational American citizens, immigrants, and foreign students - so what they feel and think varies considerably.

What they feel about Sharia also varies - in particular, how it's interpreted. Many of them feel "sharia" should be the law for practicing Muslims, not for non-Muslims, in the same way that Orthodox Jews follow Jewish law. They apply this to civil matters like marriage, contracts and daily life like Halal and the way they worship. None of the Americans I've talked to feel it should supercede the Constitution. We have a few students from England and Canada that range from fairly secular to fairly observent, none of whom said that Sharia overrules English law or Canadian law.

NEA is publically funded so that's the rub in my opinion Coyote .

Yes.

And Art Competitions get funded by them - part of the process of funding the arts. They don't control the content.

As you can guess - I do support the funding of the arts and the risk you take is you may not always like the winners. That's fine with me. It be worse if the government strictly controlled the content.

NEA shouldn't exist as a taxpayer funded entity Coyote !!

Well...natch, that's because you're a conservative pismoe! I'm a liberal so, I'm sure you know what my opinion is on public funding of the Arts ;)

Who's denying free speech to anyone?

Is this thread not yet another leftist wailing and gnashing teeth that Geller would dare insult the terrorist allies of the democrats? Is it not a call to silence Geller and other critics of Islam?

You seem to have missed the question: Who's denying free speech to anyone?

got nothing to do with winners or losers , like I said , 'nea' shouldn't be force funded by taxpayers Coyoye !!

Why is deliberately hurting innocent people who've done nothing to you "pure and simple and noble"?

Why does it "hurt" them? How does a contest that they are not part, and of not forced to be part of, hurt them?

It's pure and simple and noble because it is defiance of oppression. It is bravery in the face of threats of violence from a barbaric cult.

It is bad manners just as sticking your middle finger in somebody's face is bad manners. I would like to think we Americans are better than that. And that bad manners would be something discouraged and condemned instead of applauded whether it is directed at Christians or Jews or Muslims or people of different races or accordian players.

I am as angry and appalled as anybody at Islamic militancy that physically hurts people. That should be tolerable nowhere. But that should be dealt with via the law--either the Muslims adopt a live and let live attitude and behave themselves as honorable and decent citizens or they should be in jail or deported. And if we expect Muslims to demonstrate good manners related to the rest of society, we should expect the rest of society to demonstrate good manners toward Muslims.

It is as wrong for us to taunt and insult peaceful Muslims as it is wrong for Islam to punish the innocent for some perceived offense.

Bad manners, got it.

We are going to fight radical Islam with good manners. Oooookaaaaayyy.

If that is what you got out of my post, I truly do think we are all doomed to ignorance and more stupidity instead of seeing the wisdom of becoming the grown ups in the room. But oh well. . .

No, but you did talk about being civil, I exaggerayed your part about manners to make a point.

So people who don't agree with you opinion are ignorant, stupid, and immature? Oh well....

To accuse me of saying what I didn't say or to deliberately mischaracterize what I say is to be generally ignorant, stupid, and/or immature. Okay? And it was that I was complaining about.

Forum List

Back