Pit bulls are safe around children!

I think dogs get very confused when they see smaller sized humans like children, who are almost their height. And in some breeds, the confusion leads to aggression. I know my dog starts barking when a little kid is passing by the front yard of our house. I know it's because as a shepherd his protective and herding instincts kick in and he's worried for the child. Maybe with pitbulls, because the child is almost their height and at times showing teeth, they look at it as another animal who might harm those in it's territory. Who knows. All I know is that pitbulls and kids are a very bad mix.

Thats absolutely false. No dog of any breed should see a small child as a threat. If your dog show aggression towards a child you should have it put down immediately. Pit bulls had the nick name of "nanny dog" in the past before all the hype. Thats how bad of a mix they are with children. I know from my own personal experience that pit bulls love kids and can take all the mauling kids give out due to their high pain tolerance and unflappable temperament.

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

" from DogsBite.org bear this out: Pit bulls were responsible for 25 of 32 – or 78 percent of — dog bite-related fatalities in the United States in 2013; 23 of 38 fatalities (61 percent) in 2012, and 22 of 31 (71 percent) in 2011.

Not every pit bull is dangerous. But if you’re an owner of a pit bull, consider these statistics — and do whatever necessary to keep your pit bull from becoming a statistic, too."

"
Quick statistics ::
This page is a collection of dog bite statistics that are located on DogsBite.org or can reached by a web link. Notably, each year, an American has a one in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog.1

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

30-Year Summary: Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada September 1982 to December 26, 2011 by Merritt Clifton, Animal People, 2012

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

Estimated U.S. Cities, Counties and Military Facilities with Breed-Specific Laws by DogsBite.org, 2013

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

Fatalpitbullattacks.com, 2014, Nonprofits Urge CDC to Resume Tracking Richer Data Set for Children and Adults Disfigured, Maimed and Killed by Dogs, DogsBite.org, 2014

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days.

2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008 by DogsBite.org, 2010

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2011

Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments (1992-1994) by H. Weiss, D. Friedman and J. Coben, JAMA, 1998

Last edited:
I think dogs get very confused when they see smaller sized humans like children, who are almost their height. And in some breeds, the confusion leads to aggression. I know my dog starts barking when a little kid is passing by the front yard of our house. I know it's because as a shepherd his protective and herding instincts kick in and he's worried for the child. Maybe with pitbulls, because the child is almost their height and at times showing teeth, they look at it as another animal who might harm those in it's territory. Who knows. All I know is that pitbulls and kids are a very bad mix.

Thats absolutely false. No dog of any breed should see a small child as a threat. If your dog show aggression towards a child you should have it put down immediately. Pit bulls had the nick name of "nanny dog" in the past before all the hype. Thats how bad of a mix they are with children. I know from my own personal experience that pit bulls love kids and can take all the mauling kids give out due to their high pain tolerance and unflappable temperament.

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

" from DogsBite.org bear this out: Pit bulls were responsible for 25 of 32 – or 78 percent of — dog bite-related fatalities in the United States in 2013; 23 of 38 fatalities (61 percent) in 2012, and 22 of 31 (71 percent) in 2011.

Not every pit bull is dangerous. But if you’re an owner of a pit bull, consider these statistics — and do whatever necessary to keep your pit bull from becoming a statistic, too."
Can you prove all the dogs were pit bulls? The reason I ask is because it takes a DNA test to be certain and the media likes to hype stories when they think the dog is a pit bull.. Just because someone said it was a pit bull doesn't mean it was.

I noticed in your edited post it specified fighting dogs in one example. You do realize that pits are not the only fighting dogs dont you?

Last edited:

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

Can you prove all the dogs were pit bulls? The reason I ask is because it takes a DNA test to be certain and the media likes to hype stories when they think the dog is a pit bull.. Just because someone said it was a pit bull doesn't mean it was.

Those aren't my numbers. They come from an unbiased source which records all kinds of stats regarding dogs. You can browse the site to see for yourself. To be honest I was a little shocked myself when I saw those numbers. A family friend of mine recently adopted a pitbull after being diagnosed with cancer. I was a little surprised that he got a pitbull, even though I warned him about the things that are said about them. I hope he has good homeowner's insurance.

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

Those aren't my numbers. They come from an unbiased source which records all kinds of stats regarding dogs. You can browse the site to see for yourself. To be honest I was a little shocked myself when I saw those numbers. A family friend of mine recently adopted a pitbull after being diagnosed with cancer. I was a little surprised that he got a pitbull, even though I warned him about the things that are said about them. I hope he has good homeowner's insurance.
That should give you even more pause in believing them if those are not your numbers. Like most stats, they are used for political purposes and subject to interpretation of people that compiled them. My neighbor has a boxer and people always think its a pit.

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

That should give you even more pause in believing them if those are not your numbers. Like most stats, they are used for political purposes and subject to interpretation of people that compiled them. My neighbor has a boxer and people always think its a pit.

What political purpose is there in demonizing a certain breed of dog? The site simply takes numbers and records them. Let's not be silly.

pete1.jpg

pitbull2.jpg

pitbullterrier.jpg

The numbers don't lie:

What political purpose is there in demonizing a certain breed of dog? The site simply takes numbers and records them. Let's not be silly.
I know you are aware of the political struggle going on about breed specific legislation. If the site simply takes numbers and records them, who are they getting the numbers from? Since most people cannot correctly ID a pit what makes you think they are all pits?

Hmmm now that's an idea IW.
Let's start adding this to self-defense training.

I think that's a good idea, to encourage more people
along with learning CPR, how to swim, gun safety,
police procedures. We should learn what is the
best defense in case of a dangerous dog attack instead of waiting for this to happen to improvise.
The bottom line is, like with any fight, if you are on the defense, you'll loose. If I was attacked by a dog I would kick him hard in the nose, they have very sensitive noses. If he stuck up on me and got me down, I would wrap my legs around him and gouge eyes, get an arm around his neck and break the fucking thing. It's muscle and bone, not titanium.

The worst thing is to go down on the ground. stay on your feet.

And if you have an arm around his neck his mouth is at your neck or belly. No, it is not titanium, but his pain tolerance is far higher than yours.

The nose is not a bad shot, but if he sees it coming he could catch your foot.

The feet are a sensitive spot that can also put them off balance. Kick the legs, especially the rear legs. And be aware that you may have to lose something to win the fight. Those jaws will crush arm bones easily.
It would help if you actually read the posts. I said if a dog knocked me down unexpectedly. You are in no position to dictate what everyone's survival or skills are. If you want to fold up and be eaten so be it. I keep in shape for numerous reasons, improving my odds is one of them. The nose is a great shot to back a dog off according to people that have done it. I'm aware of all kinds of things, including people who know "best".

I am trying to pass on information taken from numerous experts and combined into a class for (at the time) the largest utility construction corporation in the world. Yes, the nose is sensitive. But it is also right at the most dangerous spot on the dog. Having seen dogs play and hunt, thinking that you can move faster than they can react my well cost you your leg.

Yes, I saw what you said about being surprised. I was repeating what the research said was one of the most important things to remember, and that is to stay on your feet.

As for an arm around the dog's neck to wring its neck, unless you snap the vertebrae instantly, the dog will either be able to bite your face & head or your abdomen. In the case of a pit, either could be fatal for you.

However, the feet are a very sensitive area on a dog, and most will react instantly to an attack on their feet.

I am in good shape too. But being in good physical shape does not change the dog's reaction or the areas which will cause a dog to react.

Hmmm now that's an idea IW.
Let's start adding this to self-defense training.

I think that's a good idea, to encourage more people
along with learning CPR, how to swim, gun safety,
police procedures. We should learn what is the
best defense in case of a dangerous dog attack instead of waiting for this to happen to improvise.
The bottom line is, like with any fight, if you are on the defense, you'll loose. If I was attacked by a dog I would kick him hard in the nose, they have very sensitive noses. If he stuck up on me and got me down, I would wrap my legs around him and gouge eyes, get an arm around his neck and break the fucking thing. It's muscle and bone, not titanium.

The worst thing is to go down on the ground. stay on your feet.

And if you have an arm around his neck his mouth is at your neck or belly. No, it is not titanium, but his pain tolerance is far higher than yours.

The nose is not a bad shot, but if he sees it coming he could catch your foot.

The feet are a sensitive spot that can also put them off balance. Kick the legs, especially the rear legs. And be aware that you may have to lose something to win the fight. Those jaws will crush arm bones easily.
It would help if you actually read the posts. I said if a dog knocked me down unexpectedly. You are in no position to dictate what everyone's survival or skills are. If you want to fold up and be eaten so be it. I keep in shape for numerous reasons, improving my odds is one of them. The nose is a great shot to back a dog off according to people that have done it. I'm aware of all kinds of things, including people who know "best".

I am trying to pass on information taken from numerous experts and combined into a class for (at the time) the largest utility construction corporation in the world. Yes, the nose is sensitive. But it is also right at the most dangerous spot on the dog. Having seen dogs play and hunt, thinking that you can move faster than they can react my well cost you your leg.

Yes, I saw what you said about being surprised. I was repeating what the research said was one of the most important things to remember, and that is to stay on your feet.

As for an arm around the dog's neck to wring its neck, unless you snap the vertebrae instantly, the dog will either be able to bite your face & head or your abdomen. In the case of a pit, either could be fatal for you.

However, the feet are a very sensitive area on a dog, and most will react instantly to an attack on their feet.

I am in good shape too. But being in good physical shape does not change the dog's reaction or the areas which will cause a dog to react.
Doesnt matter what shape you are in or how quick you are. A pit is quicker, in better shape, and if determined will keep attacking. The only thing I could suggest is to grab the windpipe below the jaws and try to crush it if one grabs you. That is a tall task if he gets a arm due to the pain. I use to train dogs for protection and the pressure they put on your arm is incredible even in protection gear. Your arm would probably go numb from the pain.

Pitbulls, when raised since birth with love and attention, are not more inherently aggressive than other dogs. Do they have more muscle? In general, yes. But does being a pitbull mean you are a more aggressive dog? Absolutely not. Are any dogs out there completely predictable? No. If you haven't raised pitbulls and given them love and attention, you probably shouldn't believe all of the hype. Like with other things in politics, there will be those who will lie to you for their own political reasons.

btw, no disrespect meant to the guy above but how did a pitbull maul an adult man? Was he asleep?
You don't think a dog could maul you?

nope. Because not only am I a very large man with no fear of animals but I know how to stop/scare them. Most people put their arms up- big mistake; it gives them the perfect limb to bite and hang on to. If you are serious about the question, I'll finish telling you.

btw, no disrespect meant to the guy above but how did a pitbull maul an adult man? Was he asleep?

nope. Because not only am I a very large man with no fear of animals but I know how to stop/scare them. Most people put their arms up- big mistake; it gives them the perfect limb to bite and hang on to. If you are serious about the question, I'll finish telling you.

Even one trained by the police? :eusa_think:

yep. A dog is still a dog with all the same pain receptors and same bones to break.

Because animals are MUCH stronger than you think they are. Also, when they are mad, they are even more strong. They are much faster than you and have more stamina too. If one was determined to make a meal out of you, he would simply chase you and antagonize you until you ran out of energy and then move in for the kill by going for your throat or knocking you to the ground and mauling you to death.

I'm not afraid of lions either (serious)- I am scared of lots of things but animals, no. Maybe a bull elephant charging and a black rhino.

Because animals are MUCH stronger than you think they are. Also, when they are mad, they are even more strong. They are much faster than you and have more stamina too. If one was determined to make a meal out of you, he would simply chase you and antagonize you until you ran out of energy and then move in for the kill by going for your throat or knocking you to the ground and mauling you to death.

nope. I've had all kinds of animals and have studied wild animals for years and, Lord willing be moving to Africa to work with Kevin Richardson. FEAR never enters into it. Animals (wild) are much more scared of us then we are of them. They will do ANYTHING to AVOID conflict.

Here is a very short vid with a perfect example- man vs lions.

Pitbulls, when raised since birth with love and attention, are not more inherently aggressive than other dogs. Do they have more muscle? In general, yes. But does being a pitbull mean you are a more aggressive dog? Absolutely not. Are any dogs out there completely predictable? No. If you haven't raised pitbulls and given them love and attention, you probably shouldn't believe all of the hype. Like with other things in politics, there will be those who will lie to you for their own political reasons.
The problem with a pit bull is that if it does have an unpredictable aggressive moment it is likely to kill somebody. If a beagle has a similar unpredictable aggressive moment, a bandaid will probably be sufficient to treat the injuries.

Forum List

Back