Pitbull love

Labs I think are in the top ten of dogs that have bitten/mauled/killed.

I took Klaus to the dog park the other day, and a lady came with a lab mix bitch...a young dog. Klaus as usual was very excited; they were both on leash, I wanted to let them both run but her dog flipped and started snapping and lunging. Now klaus was barking and jumping too...I made him sit down though and wait for permission to do anything. I think it would have been okay; she wasn't big enough to hurt Klaus and Klaus does really well with psycho females since he has one at home, but the owner dragged her away. I was on the way out..I would have stayed but I thought it looked like the owner was nervous so I went ahead and left.

The owner should have taken her dog, made her sit, and kept her there until both dogs calmed down. Then we could go to the next step...People think avoidance is a good policy with difficult dogs. It's not. You have to work through whatever it is. I have a hard time getting people to do that when I have klaus because he's intimidating, and because he is, he triggers dogs...they become fearful. Then the people become fearful, and I can't manage my big goober and their dog and them too....it's frustrating.

No, labs are one of the least likely. They are probably the biggest population of any medium to large breed, with a very low relative risk of fatal attack.

dogattacks-annals-surgery-april2011.jpg

I don't believe that. Everything I've read has them close to the top.

The point is...dogs are dangerous. When you have a bunch of douches breeding and abusing a particular breed like crazy, that breed is going to be the *most likely* to attack. Millions of idiots are treating them like shit, and people who have no business having dogs at all, let alone POWERFUL dogs, are getting them and letting them run willy nilly and not supervising them properly, and being stupid about how they treat them, and putting people at risk.

Pits are potentially really dangerous. If you aren't up for it, you shouldn't have one. BUT the breed itself is not the problem...it's the people who are fixated on it.

Dobermans were the evil breed a few decades ago. And at some point rotties were. it's a fad. it will pass.

tyzhel_McWilliams.jpg

8mo. old boy mauled by family dog

The grieving mother of an eight-month-old boy mauled to death by a family dog has released a photo of the infant sitting beside the animal just before what she called became a ‘tragic accident.’

Sitting up, smiling, with a hand extended toward the sleeping dog’s face, a photo of baby, Tyzhel McWilliams paints a far different picture of the family dog named Zulu, at least through the baby’s mother’s eyes.

‘Never in my life I thought that would happen,’ Tyzhel’s mother of San Diego, California who wished to be unnamed told UT San Diego.

Protective, friendly, the words she used to describe the brown and white pit pull euthanized Tuesday after one fatal bite to the child’s head ended his life last Thursday while he crawled across the floor.

‘It just happened so quickly,’ she said of the incident that took place just before 5pm while the single mom talked in a separate room with her roommate – the owner of not only Zulu, but two other male pit bulls in the home.

‘They loved him from the beginning,’ the mother defended of the dogs’ relationship with her baby.

Responding to calls from the mother’s home in Lemon Grove last week, police arrived at the property to find the mother clutching her injured child. He was taken to Rady Children’s Hospital where he died a short while after.

All of the dogs were immediately removed from the home. With the other two confirmed as not being involved in the child’s death, nor having a known history of violence, they were later returned to their owner.

No arrests have since been made but police said they have questioned four people in connection with the incident.

Neighbors reacted with shock to news of the tragedy, adding that the dogs were not known to have been violent in the past.

8mo. old boy mauled by family dog | Str8Talkr | Just Str8 Talk, No Chaser

2012 dog bite fatalities

2012-mable-mccallister.jpg
2012-jace-valdez.jpg
2012-diane-jansen.jpg
2012-kylar-johnson.jpg
2012-james-hurst.jpg
2012-aiden-mcgrew.jpg
2012-jeremiah-eskew-shahan.jpg
2012-clifford-wright.jpg
2012-jazilyn-mesa.jpg
2012-maryann-hanula.jpg
2012-eugene-cameron.jpg
2012-jamarr-tiller.jpg
2012-jack-redin.jpg
2012-tyzhel-mcwilliams.jpg
2012-rebecca-carey.jpg
2012-charles-hagerman.jpg
2012-bryton-cason.jpg
2012-james-hudson.jpg
2012-donald-thomas.jpg
2012-rayden-bruce.jpg
2012-nellie-davis.jpg
2012-tarilyn-bowles.jpg

Whatever. That woman had three grown pits in a household with a baby crawling on the floor. I wouldn't let my kids crawl on the floor with a pack of dogs. I don't let my 9 and 10 year olds roll around on the ground with my dogs.

As i said, you have a whole culture of people who are fucking morons completely committed to having these powerful dogs, and they have no idea what the fuck they're doing. They'd have the same shit happening if they were using german shepherds, or jack russell terriers. They're morons, and they get people killed.

Jack attacks baby:
Jack Russell terrier killed after infant attack | WTVR.com

"There are no Pit-bulls to blame, the first case, the dog was a Golden Retriever cross, the second case, a Mastiff Rhodesian cross and the third dog a Jack Russell terrier. All three cases occurred in less than two-weeks!"

Three Babies, Less Than Two Weeks, Mauled by Family Dogs! Update Now 4 May 9, 2012 « Responsible Dog ~ It's all about dogs

"“Aiden McGrew’s mother called 911 when she got home around 11 a.m. and discovered the boy’s leg was severed by a retriever mix the family had taken into the home a few weeks earlier, Dorchester County deputies said.”

DogsBite.org Releases 3-Year Fatality Study: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

The report shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 fatalities. Pit bulls accounted for 59% of these deaths, the second leading breed, rottweilers, accounted for 14%.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."

Terriers are potentially dangerous. So are shepherds and rotties.

Pits are a lot more likely to have been poorly trained/abused/neglected than a lot of other dogs, because of the types of people that tend to like to keep them.

This boy is a good pup though. He was raised with that little girl my kids and a passel of other kids and loves his family, and children in general. I know everyone says that, but this guy is used to having kids all over him.

Just please be aware. If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. I've had dogs all my life. I loved all the dogs I had, and I love the 2 that I have now. I had 3, until Buddy tried to kill me. He was a pitt/lab mix my son rescued when we lived in Florida. He was probably the most lovable dog I ever had. If I was laying on the couch watching TV, he would try to crawl up on my stomach and he would snuggle his head between my head and shoulder like he was trying to hug me.

One day my wife was dusting and left his leach on the floor. I went to pick it up, and put it back on the hutch. Buddy came over next to me and started growling. I calmly backed off, left it on the floor and said 'its ok Buddy. He stopped growling and seemed calmed.

When I walked away, he charged after me, leaped up towards me and latched onto my left arm, I was spurting blood from that wound. I swung him off 180 degrees later, he charged again latching onto my right arm and hand, deep wounds, then he went after my legs (I had shorts on) and he ripped open the back of my right leg, then got the front of my leg exposing my femur bone. My wife, daughter and son were home. My son tried to help me but I was still getting bit. Finally I was able to grab Buddy around the neck with my right arm and fell down on top of him holding on for dear life...literally. If he had escaped my grip, my face was 6 inches away. My son was able to grab him and I got away, spewing blood all over the house. My son was able to calm Buddy down, and a few minutes later he was acting as if nothing happened.

If no one were home that day, I wouldn't be telling this story. There is nothing a human can do to fight off a pitt bull attack...NOTHING.

If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. Get rid of that dog, it is a ticking time bomb...

Buddy's behavior is not exclusive to Pit Bulls, and its not uncommon among the other dog breeds. I will agree with the4 article that a pit bulls bite will be a nasty bite, but any one who claims they bite more are not telling the truth, and are pushing an agenda. Aggression is misinterpreted all the time. In most cases, the owner who own the "aggressive" dog have no business with ANY dog in the first place. You have to assert your self with Pit Bulls.

I take it back...what I saw was on wiki..in 1988 labrador retrievers constituted 100 percent of fatalities..but there was only 1 recorded fatality that year...

List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the stats, labs show quite a bit...along with rotties and dobermans and the other big breeds.

A lot of the attacks are by packs of dogs and they aren't even sure how many or what breed.

Dogs are potentially dangerous. I know I wouldn't want to walk in some neighborhoods with my kids..not because of the people but because of the fucking dogs that nobody controls. A pack of dogs is a nasty and dangerous entity...and once a dog enters a pack, that's who they are. Whatever the leader is doing, that's what they do.

My kids don't walk my dogs and they are told to leave the dogs alone when we have dogs visiting...my sons have a couple of dogs between them, and when they come, we are pretty much one adult per dog, and the kids do NOT get to play with them except in a very controlled way. We never leave the dogs in a room with kids...EVER. EVER. EVER.

That's not to say that at night the dogs don't go where they want (the bedrooms they want)...they do. When we're home alone, with just our dogs...we don't sleep with our bedroom doors closed, we're all open and within a few feet of each other. the Jack usually sleeps on my bed, and klaus will move between the rooms..i think he spends a little time in each room of the house at night. But when we have visiting dog(s) in the house, the visitor goes into his master's bedroom or the garage at night, and the door is closed, and my dogs come into my room, and the door is closed.

And there are other precautions you take, you know...but the point is, you can never let up your vigilance, and you can never fail to address problems as they come up.

Terriers are potentially dangerous. So are shepherds and rotties.

Pits are a lot more likely to have been poorly trained/abused/neglected than a lot of other dogs, because of the types of people that tend to like to keep them.

This boy is a good pup though. He was raised with that little girl my kids and a passel of other kids and loves his family, and children in general. I know everyone says that, but this guy is used to having kids all over him.

Just please be aware. If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. I've had dogs all my life. I loved all the dogs I had, and I love the 2 that I have now. I had 3, until Buddy tried to kill me. He was a pitt/lab mix my son rescued when we lived in Florida. He was probably the most lovable dog I ever had. If I was laying on the couch watching TV, he would try to crawl up on my stomach and he would snuggle his head between my head and shoulder like he was trying to hug me.

One day my wife was dusting and left his leach on the floor. I went to pick it up, and put it back on the hutch. Buddy came over next to me and started growling. I calmly backed off, left it on the floor and said 'its ok Buddy. He stopped growling and seemed calmed.

When I walked away, he charged after me, leaped up towards me and latched onto my left arm, I was spurting blood from that wound. I swung him off 180 degrees later, he charged again latching onto my right arm and hand, deep wounds, then he went after my legs (I had shorts on) and he ripped open the back of my right leg, then got the front of my leg exposing my femur bone. My wife, daughter and son were home. My son tried to help me but I was still getting bit. Finally I was able to grab Buddy around the neck with my right arm and fell down on top of him holding on for dear life...literally. If he had escaped my grip, my face was 6 inches away. My son was able to grab him and I got away, spewing blood all over the house. My son was able to calm Buddy down, and a few minutes later he was acting as if nothing happened.

If no one were home that day, I wouldn't be telling this story. There is nothing a human can do to fight off a pitt bull attack...NOTHING.

If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. Get rid of that dog, it is a ticking time bomb...

Buddy's behavior is not exclusive to Pit Bulls, and its not uncommon among the other dog breeds. I will agree with the4 article that a pit bulls bite will be a nasty bite, but any one who claims they bite more are not telling the truth, and are pushing an agenda. Aggression is misinterpreted all the time. In most cases, the owner who own the "aggressive" dog have no business with ANY dog in the first place. You have to assert your self with Pit Bulls.

yes you do. And you have to be aware of what they're doing, where they're at..ALL THE TIME. Because THEY'RE TERRIERS.

It's exhausting. It's why I always said I'd never have a terrier. Now look at me. Sheesh. I'm hostage to a jack russell terrorist. She hates the rain and won't pee outside when it's raining...she'll fake it then as soon as she comes in sneaks somewhere and pisses...i can smell it but damned if i can find it and it makes me freaking CRAZY. Seriously, i would like to kill her.

This is my dog here. He decided he was going to try and eat a dead duck. We got lucky with him. he is a total puss cake. But he does play a bit rough at times. We just have to focus him on another activity when he is like that. And when he has had enough of company or kids, he runs into his crate.

normal_IMG_20120909_142523%7E1.jpg

This is my dog here. He decided he was going to try and eat a dead duck. We got lucky with him. he is a total puss cake. But he does play a bit rough at times. We just have to focus him on another activity when he is like that. And when he has had enough of company or kids, he runs into his crate.

normal_IMG_20120909_142523%7E1.jpg

He is gorgeous. :)

Cute!

My dogs are taught the correct behavior..but people have to behave the right way around them as well. For example, I was reading about a woman who was at some family gathering, with her 3 y.o. on her hip, and she approached a couple of dogs and bent down to pet a puppy and a grown dog grabbed her kid's face and ripped it seriously.

Would YOU bend over even a puppy if it was a strange puppy and there were other strange dogs running around loose, if YOU had a kid on your hip? Essentially dipping his face right down there?

I sure as shit wouldn't. I wouldn't drag my kid up behind a strange horse and slap it on the ass, either.

Then again..why had people let their dogs loose? I took my dog to the family reunion a year ago last August...he wasn't even a year old but I didn't take him off his leash the whole time. There were a couple of other dogs (a lab and golden...both kinda mean, btw..the retriever does bite but not viciously) there...we didn't turn our dogs loose to run wild amongst the children. That would be STUPID. And neither I nor my kids walked up to dogs and bent over them. So we didn't get bit.

So many people just don't have any sense with animals.

And you do have to assert yourself...but asserting yourself isn't about getting tough and mean and stupid. It means expecting or wanting a certain behavior, and waiting until you get it. However long that takes.

None of this applies to Jacks btw. They're batshit crazy...at least mine is. I don't take her anywhere and she gets the good spot on the bed.

I have to assert myself with klaus once or twice a day...and it's not his fault, he isn't an aggressive or naughty dog....but the kids lead him astray and I have to talk him down and show him what's what. Today my girl came home from school and immediately started racing through the house hooting and hollering and getting Klaus going...she thinks it's cute and funny..and it is...but it's also DANGEROUS. She weighs 70, he weighs 110. When I'm here, I can make him stop...but if he doesn't want to stop for her, she can't make him. So she got put in her room and I put him outside, just for a breather and to shake off the silliness...then when he came in he picked up some plastic something and started racing through the house with it...and that's where it had to stop. I made him give it to me (and he doesn't let go easily, he likes to run with stuff and play tug of war...also bad habits taught to him by children) but he has to give me when I ask for it. Well, sometime after I ask for it, and when he releases. But I just wait. And the wait time is getting shorter with time...but that's what it's all about. Taking a behavior and addressing it, and giving it the time to work. We had to deal with rushing the door some months ago...a potentially very dangerous behavior on so many levels...and then it was pulling on the leash...you know, it's always something.

Here is his other side. he is laying with my retired dog Chopper. The tan dog in that picture has attacked people twice. He is waiting for his third strike. But he is a good dog to.

photo.JPG

Forum List

Back