Pity the South

:beer:Soon as I retire I'll be heading south !!

The saying nowadays is, make your fortune in the north, then retire in the south.

Incredibly low real estate prices (you should see the freaking mansion my brother bought in Texas last year for $279K !!!! Absolutely beyond belief !!

Great weather ! Low taxes ! Great food !

Absolutely cannot wait to say goodbye to the liberal snobs and shithole weather, taxes, prices !!!

Yeah baby !!! :dance::dance:

Me and you both. I'm looking at the Gulf Breeze/Navarre area in Florida. But I will miss epic sunrises here in So Cal like the one this morning.

Praise the lord

-Geaux

Sunrise3-9-14.jpg

Yeah it sucks down here stay the fuck out.

You know, I've noticed that your posts are all alike. You can't write simple sentences that include punctuation and correct spelling. Like this one should read:

Yeah, it sucks down here. Stay the fuck out.

Where were you ed-U-muh-kated?

Meh, we've all noticed for quite a while that you can't put a cohesive thought together. I was a navy brat and was educated in schools in Maryland, California, and Florida. I have two degrees, one in nursing from the University of Central Florida, and one in Respiratory Therapy from Valencia Community College, and a certification as a perfusionist.

Not only am I book smart, but I've got enough common sense to be a conservative. You on the other hand, are an idiot and a democrat. But I repeat myself.

Feel free to pity the south if you want. I love living here.

While there may be more poverty, the lower cost of living means it is an easier place to be poor. I have access to some top quality health care, and my insurance dollars go farther. I make a nationally competitive salary in my field, and with the lower cost of living I can enjoy it and still save for retirement. Smoking is a choice people make, it is not my problem.

But it is not just those things, but the genuine friendliness I enjoy down here. I have travelled and worked all over the US. And there are friendly people everywhere. But no where has the volume of smiling friendly people you find in the south. People wave as you drive by. They chat in the checkout lines at the grocery store. When I was coming back down from working up north I could always tell when I was "Home" again. If I stopped for gas and a cold drink and the clerk just said, "$32.00 please", I wasn't close. When they said, "Hi, how ya doin? Sure is a pretty day (or cold day or whatever) That'll be $32.00. Drive safe now", I knew I was closer to home.

Pity us if you want. I'll take little old ladies saying "Bless her heart", tall glasses of sweet tea, the smell of magnolia blossoms, college football tailgating, and miles of dirt roads over a slightly higher standard of living for everyone else.

My wife and I are retired. We could live anywhere in the world and we prefer to stay right here in Lake City, Florida. Poverty? I haven't seen any signs of it.

Luddley just ain't too bright.

Feel free to pity the south if you want. I love living here.

While there may be more poverty, the lower cost of living means it is an easier place to be poor. I have access to some top quality health care, and my insurance dollars go farther. I make a nationally competitive salary in my field, and with the lower cost of living I can enjoy it and still save for retirement. Smoking is a choice people make, it is not my problem.

But it is not just those things, but the genuine friendliness I enjoy down here. I have travelled and worked all over the US. And there are friendly people everywhere. But no where has the volume of smiling friendly people you find in the south. People wave as you drive by. They chat in the checkout lines at the grocery store. When I was coming back down from working up north I could always tell when I was "Home" again. If I stopped for gas and a cold drink and the clerk just said, "$32.00 please", I wasn't close. When they said, "Hi, how ya doin? Sure is a pretty day (or cold day or whatever) That'll be $32.00. Drive safe now", I knew I was closer to home.

Pity us if you want. I'll take little old ladies saying "Bless her heart", tall glasses of sweet tea, the smell of magnolia blossoms, college football tailgating, and miles of dirt roads over a slightly higher standard of living for everyone else.

My wife and I are retired. We could live anywhere in the world and we prefer to stay right here in Lake City, Florida. Poverty? I haven't seen any signs of it.

Lake City is a nice area.

Man, I don't know what you people are arguing about, anyone living north if Jacksonville, Florida is a damn Yankee!

Everyone living south of Jacksonville is from the north! It's NY with sunshine.

Good point, compared to the rest of the country, Florida is politically upside-down. North Florida is the Confederate part of Florida and is demographically similar to the Old South and-----and South Florida is wealthier, more urban and mostly represented in congress by Democrats.

Ever wonder why the wealthier areas of the country tend to vote for Democrats?

Good point, compared to the rest of the country, Florida is politically upside-down. North Florida is the Confederate part of Florida and is demographically similar to the Old South and-----and South Florida is wealthier, more urban and mostly represented in congress by Democrats.

Southern Florida is mostly represented by Republicans in Congress, just as northern Florida is.

Because you're the party of the elitist rich who arrogantly believe you know how to run other people's lives better than they can.

JUst because the majority of people that live around me are overweight, bible thumping republicans with a bad 'tude does not deter myself from having fun, or not being considered a southerner..

Just what this nation doesn't need.

Idiotic regionalism.

Why not? The left has an institutionalized CLASS WAR now.
Why shouldn't they then go and mock the regions where the victims reside?

What Star didn't notice was that in ONE YEAR --- Conn slipped from 16th to 31st. And New York took a dive from 30th to 35th.. My conclusion is that folks in the South are just more honest poll takers and actually are realistic about their self-reported "health" than the fruits and nuts in Cali who THINK they are healthier because they don't drink soda...

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason why things are cheaper in the South?

Sure, but what do I care ? I'm just happy that we have diversity. We have places where libs can go to fulfill many of their nanny-state dreams (although they would be even happier if they kept going north to Canada) and we have places where the rest of us can go to be as little effected by government regulations and taxes as possible. :eusa_clap:

Exactly. If you get yours, why should you care about starving children?

And, when the going gets tough, the dems will bail you out.

Just like always.

Michelle's school lunch program is what's staving them even worse. The one place where the poor kids got a good breakfast and lunch. Not any more.
Once again a gov. program where one size fits all, like the new health care bill. It's not working. One size fits all has never worked, yet Dem's keep doing it over and over, again and again.
Most of the kids are throwing away the food and the prices has gone up.

It's the other way around. The Repubs are always having to bail out Dems messes.
Look at N.Y. City, the Dems get in, taxes and crime go up, people start moving out. They elect a Repub and get a handle on things and when it's going good again they re-elect another Dem. Then things start to go downhill again.

That is doing some real harm to low income kids.

Southern Florida is mostly represented by Republicans in Congress, just as northern Florida is.

Because you're the party of the elitist rich who arrogantly believe you know how to run other people's lives better than they can.

Below is a link to Florida's Congressional Districts -- most of South Florida is represented by Democrats. Florida's 19th Congressional District, Robert Wexler's old seat is currently vacant but you probably know more about that than I do?

Florida’s Members of Congress & Congressional District Map - GovTrack.us

Apology forthcoming?

I loved South Carolina when I lived there. It was the first time I was able to buy a house for me and my son. I could never afford one back in Boston. The cost of living was incredibly lower than Massachusetts. I'd live there again if given the opportunity.

Some Southern states have a low cost of living, some not so much, South Carolina is pretty average at 19th highest cost of living in the US but-----but in state by state comparisons, the 15 states with the lowest cost of living are OK, TN, ID, KY, NE, IN, KS, AR, TX, MS, UT, MO, AL, GA, OH. But-----but as MoneyRates.com points out there's more to it than just-----just the COL...

...Rankings of the Best 10 States for Making a Living

Richard Barrington
MoneyRates.com Senior Financial Analyst, CFA
April 05, 2011

MoneyRates.com looked at four factors involved in making a living:
  • Average state wages
  • State unemployment rate
  • State tax rate
  • State cost of living
Based on all these factors, MoneyRates.com calculated an adjusted-average income for each state - the average income adjusted for your chances of finding a job, how much you would lose to state taxes, and how much purchasing power that income would have based on the cost of living in that state. A ranking of these adjusted-average incomes is the basis for the following list of the top 10 states for making a living:

Top 10 states for making a living

170x170_illinois.jpg

1. Illinois
At $41,986.51, Illinois had the best adjusted-average income. The unemployment rate in Illinois is not especially low, but the state benefits from relatively high average wages, a low state tax rate, and a below-average cost of living. As an added plus, you can make good use of your money once you earn it in Illinois. Four of the best banks in America, based on a MoneyRates.com analysis of factors like customer service, checking account fees, and savings and money market rates, have operations in Illinois.

170x170_washington.jpg

2. Washington
The adjusted-average income here was $41,455.73. The cost of living may be above average, but so is the typical income, and with no state income tax, you'll get to keep more of what you earn.

170x170_texas.jpg

3. Texas
Texas is another state with no income tax, and along with a relatively low cost of living and unemployment rate, this gives Texas a good adjusted-average income - at $41,427.12, it's just a little behind Washington's.

170x170_virginia.jpg

4. Virginia
The adjusted-average income for Virginia worked out to $41,120.49, helped by high average wages and a relatively low unemployment rate. This is also a good state for your checking accounts, savings accounts, or money market accounts, with four of the best banks identified by MoneyRates.com operating in Virginia.

170x170_delaware.jpg

5. Delaware
While the adjusted-average incomes of the top four states were bunched quite closely, Delaware's is a clear step back at $39,104.64. Still, this is good enough to rank fifth, largely on the strength of Delaware's high average wages.

170x170_massachusettes.jpg

6. Massachusetts
The high cost of living in Massachusetts is counterbalanced by the highest average wage levels of any state, helping Massachusetts rank sixth with an adjusted-average income of $38,664.86.

170x170_georgia.jpg

7. Georgia
A combination of a low cost of living and solid average wages help Georgia make the list with an adjusted-average income of $38,228.47. This is another state where you can take great care of your money once you earn it, with four of the MoneyRates.com best banks in America having branches in Georgia.

170x170_Tennessee.jpg

8. Tennessee
A very low cost of living helps Tennessee overcome relatively low wage levels, and because the state's taxes don't apply to wages, you'll get to keep more of what you make. Tennessee's adjusted-average income came in at $38,038.27.

170x170_colorado.jpg

9. Colorado
High average wages and a reasonable state tax burden helped Colorado make the list, coming in just slightly behind Tennessee with an adjusted-average income of $38,020.24.

170x170_minnesota.jpg

10. Minnesota
Rounding out the top 10 is Minnesota, a state with relatively high average wages and below-average unemployment. These factors contribute to Minnesota's adjusted-average income of $37,721.99

Forum List

Back