Political Systems

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
Which one is best. I've been a harsh critic of the US system, thinking it is the second worst in the Western World (after the UK).

I like the NZ system. Aussie isn't bad. France and Germany's aren't that bad either, as are most Scandinavian systems.
The worst part about the Aussie system is that it is compulsory to vote, which is anti-democratic IMO.

Just interested in:

1) What people like about the US system and other systems they know about.
2) Don't start comparing third-world and Commie systems with ours. This thread is about first-world election systems. We know African/South American (maybe with the excpetion of Chile and Argentina), most of Asia and Eastern Europe and the ME suck.

i dont know Doc....in my 33 years delivering mail in S.Cal i have delivered to many people from many different countries living in the states either because of their job or because they moved here....and in asking them how they like it here compared to home most seemed to like it here....of course they lived in the Anaheim Hills which is a pretty nice area...one German guy said the reason he prefers the states over Germany is because he is free to make money here,he said in Germany there were to many restrictions to do that with his computer business....people from your country love S.Cal....

i dont know Doc....in my 33 years delivering mail in S.Cal i have delivered to many people from many different countries living in the states either because of their job or because they moved here....and in asking them how they like it here compared to home most seemed to like it here....of course they lived in the Anaheim Hills which is a pretty nice area...one German guy said the reason he prefers the states over Germany is because he is free to make money here,he said in Germany there were to many restrictions to do that with his computer business....people from your country love S.Cal....

NZ or Aust? We have a lot of Americans and Canadians in Aust and NZ. A few are here because they couldn't stand Bush. Seems like it has been doubled down since You Know Who took office...

Which one is best. I've been a harsh critic of the US system, thinking it is the second worst in the Western World (after the UK).

I like the NZ system. Aussie isn't bad. France and Germany's aren't that bad either, as are most Scandinavian systems.
The worst part about the Aussie system is that it is compulsory to vote, which is anti-democratic IMO.

Just interested in:

2) Don't start comparing third-world and Commie systems with ours. This thread is about first-world election systems. We know African/South American (maybe with the excpetion of Chile and Argentina), most of Asia and Eastern Europe and the ME suck.

Uhhh...

New Zealanders don't have the right to defend their lives and the lives of their family members.

No thanks. I'm keeping my guns and my freedom.

Just interested in:

Uhhh...

New Zealanders don't have the right to defend their lives and the lives of their family members.

No thanks. I'm keeping my guns and my freedom.

RATFLMAO....you funny Galt...

I don't think many people decide where to live based on the strength and weaknesses of the governmental system, unless something about it prevents them from doing what they want to do.

But in the U.S. we have quite a bit of freedom.

Just interested in:

Aussie isn’t bad...
2019 Australian Parliament infiltration plot - Wikipedia
Chinese agents 'infiltrating church groups to undermine Australia's sovereignty'

Just interested in:

I was living in Christchurch when the lange government collapsed. The US system for all of its faults is the best in the world for individual Rights, and the ability for the poor to become wealthy through effort. That's why the US has accomplished more, in less time, than the entire rest of the world.

I was living in Christchurch when the lange government collapsed. The US system for all of its faults is the best in the world for individual Rights, and the ability for the poor to become wealthy through effort. That's why the US has accomplished more, in less time, than the entire rest of the world.

Collapse? Hardly. They went from being Dems to Repubs!
Totally agree on paper that you are best in the world for individual rights (although whether individual rights are a good thing or not is another argument). In reality, if I had the choice of living in a country, where in practical terms I have more individual rights, the US wouldn't even make the top 5.

Poor can become wealthy through effort in all countries. From China through to the US. There are multi billionaires in China.

Dunno if you have accomplished more. Again, depends on how you measure it.
Anyway, this thread is more about political systems than best countries. If we could keep it on that it would be great.

Just interested in:

Aussie isn’t bad...
2019 Australian Parliament infiltration plot - Wikipedia
Chinese agents 'infiltrating church groups to undermine Australia's sovereignty'

Pffttt....they got caught. Just like the Russians in the USA.

Collapse? Hardly. They went from being Dems to Repubs!
Totally agree on paper that you are best in the world for individual rights (although whether individual rights are a good thing or not is another argument). In reality, if I had the choice of living in a country, where in practical terms I have more individual rights, the US wouldn't even make the top 5.

Poor can become wealthy through effort in all countries. From China through to the US. There are multi billionaires in China.

Dunno if you have accomplished more. Again, depends on how you measure it.
Anyway, this thread is more about political systems than best countries. If we could keep it on that it would be great.

Yes, if you look at the technology that the US has created, it is apparent that we have generated more, and faster. The reason why The Soviet union was able to survive the German onslaught was the material aid we gave them. We mobilized their entire army. We gave them 600,000 trucks, in addition to thousands of aircraft, millions of tons of food and munitions, and hundreds of tanks. No other country in the world was able to produce like we did. We were at full war production for only two years. We began cancelling programs in 1943. Once again, no other country was able to mobilize its resources anywhere near as completely, and rapidly as we did.

That is a direct consequence of a political system that encourages free thinking, and rewards effort.

Yes, if you look at the technology that the US has created, it is apparent that we have generated more, and faster. The reason why The Soviet union was able to survive the German onslaught was the material aid we gave them. We mobilized their entire army. We gave them 600,000 trucks, in addition to thousands of aircraft, millions of tons of food and munitions, and hundreds of tanks. No other country in the world was able to produce like we did. We were at full war production for only two years. We began cancelling programs in 1943. Once again, no other country was able to mobilize its resources anywhere near as completely, and rapidly as we did.

That is a direct consequence of a political system that encourages free thinking, and rewards effort.

Ford definitely had an effect on mass production for sure.
Whether that was due to your political system however...
I mean that is just one example. I can give examples where cures of diseases were made, products invented etc in similar political climates, or terrible political climates. I don't think it is the political system that does it. I think it is the people.

Just interested in:

Then you'd really hate my idea because I'd make national service compulsory before you were even allowed to vote.

NZ or Aust? We have a lot of Americans and Canadians in Aust and NZ. A few are here because they couldn't stand Bush. Seems like it has been doubled down since You Know Who took office...
Oz....i never met anyone from NZ....

Ford definitely had an effect on mass production for sure.
Whether that was due to your political system however...
I mean that is just one example. I can give examples where cures of diseases were made, products invented etc in similar political climates, or terrible political climates. I don't think it is the political system that does it. I think it is the people.

The soviet union was very adept at killing large numbers of it's own people in stupid attacks that were the result of equipment being more valuable than the operators.

Their tanks were rip offs of American designs, most notably by Christie. The same is true of their aircraft. Their first 4 engined bomber were planes we abandoned.

They had very little in the way of innovation save in small arms where Kalashnikov took German designs and improved them.

So yeah A free political system encourages creative people to be creative because they are rewarded for it.

The soviet union was very adept at killing large numbers of it's own people in stupid attacks that were the result of equipment being more valuable than the operators.

Their tanks were rip offs of American designs, most notably by Christie. The same is true of their aircraft. Their first 4 engined bomber were planes we abandoned.

They had very little in the way of innovation save in small arms where Kalashnikov took German designs and improved them.

So yeah A free political system encourages creative people to be creative because they are rewarded for it.

You certainly won't get me championing the Soviet system. Hardly political at all....Russia is still the same if you ask me.

Just interested in:

I will fully admit that the U.S. election process and two-party system (aka the Duopoly) is less than ideal. I prefer a percentage representation system to our winner-takes-all shit.

Otherwise, the U.S. is the original model. Not perfect but still pretty good.

I will fully admit that the U.S. election process and two-party system (aka the Duopoly) is less than ideal. I prefer a percentage representation system to our winner-takes-all shit.

Otherwise, the U.S. is the original model. Not perfect but still pretty good.

I agree with the first sentence. And that's how we more or less do it down here.

I think maybe the original model of the US system might be good. Either it needs to be revamped, or tweaked at least.

Forum List

Back