PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

[
I'm not in fear. I'm pointing out a glaring hole in our current system. You all play dumb and offended because you most likely make a nice buck buying and selling guns off the books.

If it is a giant glaring hole, then you must have a lot of stats showing the "millions" (I LOLed at Politihack claiming millions, not that they had any credibility to start with.) of crimes committed with these horrible guns?

I mean, you would HAVE to - unless... but no, a leftist dedicated to ending civil liberty wouldn't lie about this stuff....

32 states don't require background checks for private sales. That means the private gun trade in those states is not quantifiable. Of course you wouldn't recognize that as a problem. Like I said, the dopes like you, who play dumb on this probably make a nice buck off of buying and selling off the books.

Yet you can't show me the quote ...

Open the quote box dope.

So it says gun stores (licensed shops) are required to do background checks and straw purchases are illegal.

Nowhere did he say private sales require background checks, only when they are straw purchases are they illegal.

How does that support your point?

Read the parts in bold dope.

My god why do you fools like to play dumb so much? Do you think it's funny or trolly?
It only makes you look like a dope.

There is no universal check for PRIVATE gun sales, what part of that don't you understand?

Randal correctly said that, you keep arguing there are universal checks for LICENSED dealers. You aren't contradicting him

It's there for everyone to see dope. He asserted it more than once from the beginning.

....There is no federal law requiring checks for private sales.
Annnnnd we come down to the truth of the "Gun Show loophole". The anti-gun Democrats want to ban private sales of gun.

Like banning "high capacity magazines", this is just a step toward their ultimate goal(s). First ban 10+ round magazines then, a few years later, ban 5+ round magazines. Similarly, first ban private sales without a background check, then charge $100+ for background checks.

No one has called for banning private sales dope.
Requiring a background check nationally is not a ban.
What's wrong, will this put a crimp in your shady gun revenues?

We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

We don't have universal background checks.
There is no federal law regarding checks for private sales.

Again - BULLSHIT

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility with a search that usually takes less than a minute. The system was fully launched in 1998. Before selling a gun, the gun store worker calls in to the FBI or other designated law enforcement agency to run a check against the system’s records. If the prospective buyer’s record doesn’t raise a red flag – possible triggers include a person having been adjudicated as mentally ill or being sought by law enforcement – the sale is cleared to go through.

The only problem that I have with the above is the idea that it "usually takes less than a minute". Bullshit. I have waited for days for checks.

which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility

Allows. Not requires.

There is no federal law requiring checks for private sales.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

You really should know what you're talking about before calling bullshit.

Jesus, I give up. You're a blithering idiot.
The anti-gun mob runs on emotion, not logic. Arguing with emotional people is a waste of time. Better to spend your time buying ammo and supporting the NRA.

I'm signed up with the NRA through 2021 strictly due to the actions of the anti-gun mob. Yes, the NRA is a PITA with their calls for money, but I'm just a member and enjoy the American Rifleman magazine.

Nonetheless, I see the attack on the Second Amendment as an attack on the entire Constitution. I've asked several anti-gunners "If we passed the Obama/Clinton Gun control bill, would you be satisfied and never ask for additional gun control laws?" NONE OF THEM SAID YES. It's a step toward their ultimate goal of gun bans and confiscation.

Except it's all of the gun dopes doing all of the crying here.

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

They aren't illegal under federal law. That's the point. Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.
I could go to a gun show, buy as many guns as I please, without question, then proceed to sell them on in the parking lot or advertise them online without question.

And if it is found you are supplying felons intentionally you will be snitched out by one of your customers and be sent to jail......we can already do that with current laws....and I post those stories all the time.

That's the rub. Without a check there's no way to know who you're selling to.

Do you realize that if a criminal wanted the private gun you are selling, they could just send a straw buyer to buy it....or follow you home and murder you to get it.....making universal background checks pointless.....right?

...the guy buying knows if he can buy or not...he is committing the crime, when he is caught with the gun or using the gun for a crime we can already arrest him...then if the guy he bought it from is knowingly selling guns to criminals, the cops can do what they already do...set up a sting....

.....the only other way is for universal registration of guns.......which is what the anti gunners really want....that is the only reason they are pushing universal background checks...

Right, we should in no way make it more difficult for people with ill intent to acquire a gun. But that would no doubt cut your shady revenues so I can see your concern.

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

YES!! Because right now there are no laws against committing a crime with a gun!

You're a genius!

A fucking genius!

A fucking super genius!!

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

Like I told you, 18 states and DC require background checks for all sales. Perhaps your state is among them but all of them aren't.

Most states don't require checks for private sales. Hence the need for a federal law closing that gap.

And how is that working out for D.C.....? Has it reduced their gun murder rate by any chance? Didn't think so.....criminals don't do background checks.....

Especially when they can simply drive an hour and buy as many as they wish from private sellers in a state that doesn't require checks.
Your argument is poorly thought out and dopey.

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

A private seller at a show doesn't need to sell out of their trunk. They can be a vendor at the show.

And if they are selling more guns than they are allowed.....they will get snitched on and can be arrested.....we already have laws that cover that...

Do we? What is the maximum number of guns a private seller can sell before becoming criminal? How would a prosecutor prove those transactions occurred?

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

They aren't illegal under federal law. That's the point. Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.
I could go to a gun show, buy as many guns as I please, without question, then proceed to sell them on in the parking lot or advertise them online without question.
Move to a state that has the rule, so you can stop living in fear.

It would be useful to list the states with and without and compare crime statistics to see it it makes a difference, or is just more "feel good" useless legislation.

I'm not in fear. I'm pointing out a glaring hole in our current system. You all play dumb and offended because you most likely make a nice buck buying and selling guns off the books.

It isn't a hole......you have a right to sell your private property. Guns, no matter how much you hate them, are private property.

No doubt a nice revenue stream for underachievers such as yourself as well.

Allows. Not requires.

There is no federal law requiring checks for private sales.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

You really should know what you're talking about before calling bullshit.

Jesus, I give up. You're a blithering idiot.
The anti-gun mob runs on emotion, not logic. Arguing with emotional people is a waste of time. Better to spend your time buying ammo and supporting the NRA.

I'm signed up with the NRA through 2021 strictly due to the actions of the anti-gun mob. Yes, the NRA is a PITA with their calls for money, but I'm just a member and enjoy the American Rifleman magazine.

Nonetheless, I see the attack on the Second Amendment as an attack on the entire Constitution. I've asked several anti-gunners "If we passed the Obama/Clinton Gun control bill, would you be satisfied and never ask for additional gun control laws?" NONE OF THEM SAID YES. It's a step toward their ultimate goal of gun bans and confiscation.

How about the right to life liberty and the pursuit if happiness ? Aka , not getting gunned down by some freak with an AR .

And spare me this bullshit "attack on the constitution" . You on,y care about the 2nd and you wipe your ass with the rest .
An ar15 is just a sporting rifle...
Barry deserves all of the mass shootings happening on "his watch"...
He has great crocodile tears. Lol
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, if your sport is hunting people.

Spot on. These weapons were created for one purpose, to kill people.
No hunter needs a 30 round magazine.
It's a toy for the tactical minded, dopey adults who like to play badass.

Like I told you, 18 states and DC require background checks for all sales. Perhaps your state is among them but all of them aren't.

Most states don't require checks for private sales. Hence the need for a federal law closing that gap.
The feds have no authority when it comes to the commerce of a state.

Bullshit! It's done every day.
Really then why can some states allow the legal sale of pot when the feds still say it's illegal?

Intrastate commerce is not covered by the commerce clause

Another OP full of lies, shocker.

Indeed. I have bought both guns and ammo at gun shows, as well as cabelas, bass pro, and I have had guns shipped to a local FFL dealer from online sales.

In every single case, before I could take delivery, I underwent a background check by the FBI.

In some cases, at gun shows, I had to wait hours or even had to come back the next day to pick the firearm up due to the backlog of background checks.

When I purchased a firearm from online, the FFL dealer notified me when it arrived and I went to his place of business and the background check was ran at that time.

The propaganda the left throws out there is the most dishonest crap I have seen in some time.

Unfortunately many don't have the same experience

That's what you folks keep trying to convince me of. And your proof is........?

I mean honestly. Something that you have heard some limp-wristed ISIS supporter say on MSNBC doesn't impress me in the least.

But I have waited hours (and in some cases) days to get my background check completed - mainly after some of Obama's bullshit. What does that tell us? That hundreds of thousands of people are getting their guns legally - and clogging the FBIs computers.

I would just like to clarify your position.

Are you saying that it is in fact already a requirement under federal law that background checks must be done for all sales including private sales?

Indeed. I have bought both guns and ammo at gun shows, as well as cabelas, bass pro, and I have had guns shipped to a local FFL dealer from online sales.

In every single case, before I could take delivery, I underwent a background check by the FBI.

In some cases, at gun shows, I had to wait hours or even had to come back the next day to pick the firearm up due to the backlog of background checks.

When I purchased a firearm from online, the FFL dealer notified me when it arrived and I went to his place of business and the background check was ran at that time.

The propaganda the left throws out there is the most dishonest crap I have seen in some time.

I mean honestly. Something that you have heard some limp-wristed ISIS supporter say on MSNBC doesn't impress me in the least.

But I have waited hours (and in some cases) days to get my background check completed - mainly after some of Obama's bullshit. What does that tell us? That hundreds of thousands of people are getting their guns legally - and clogging the FBIs computers.

Are you saying that it is in fact already a requirement under federal law that background checks must be done for all sales including private sales?
in some states yes

Wonderful. That may be the law in your state but it's not federal law.
Just because your experience doesn't reflect what is said in the OP, that neither makes it impossible or a lie.

We will never compromise with gun control advocates, on anything, not one inch, eat it.

Fair enough. We'll empty the prisons of drug offenders and fill them with gun dopes.

Not without a civil war you wont and the decidedly unarmed libtards should be more careful when picking fights and bringing nothing more than their emotive tiny violins to a gunfight.

More violent fantasies I see. Probably the exact person who shouldn't have guns.

Really then why can some states allow the legal sale of pot when the feds still say it's illegal?

The feds choose not to pursue cases in those states. It allows for the incremental decriminalization of pot. Once enough states are on board and the problems ironed out, the federal laws will change.

in some states yes

Was that question directed toward you?

The feds choose not to pursue cases in those states. It allows for the incremental decriminalization of pot. Once enough states are on board and the problems ironed out, the federal laws will change.
Or they might not.

in some states yes

Was that question directed toward you?
I can answer any question I want

If you want a private conversation then do it by PM

Wonderful. That may be the law in your state but it's not federal law.
Just because your experience doesn't reflect what is said in the OP, that neither makes it impossible or a lie.

We will never compromise with gun control advocates, on anything, not one inch, eat it.

Fair enough. We'll empty the prisons of drug offenders and fill them with gun dopes.

Not without a civil war you wont and the decidedly unarmed libtards should be more careful when picking fights and bringing nothing more than their emotive tiny violins to a gunfight.

More violent fantasies I see. Probably the exact person who shouldn't have guns.

Lol tell that to my former military instructors

Forum List

Back