Poll: Majority of Democrats and Republicans support Medicare for all

Who said they would.eliminate free market suppliments?
Everything I've seen - and I've looked, particularly on Bernie's site - is Single Payer specifically. Exclusively.

I'd love to find out that he really means Medicare for All, so provide a link and I'll check it out.
He can't stop a company from.selling suppliments policies.
That's not my point. The system is symbiotic, complimentary. That's not what he wants.
He wants better than what we have. That means better than basic services from medicare for everyone. Yes, that will cut into the supplimental market, but who cares really? Health insurance companies are parasites anyway.
Then we disagree.

The least he could do is be honest, but he's choosing to mis-lead.

Have we not yet had enough of this in our politics?
I don't see how he's misleading anyone. He talks about expanded medicare for all. I think it's actually pretty clear.

Everything I've seen - and I've looked, particularly on Bernie's site - is Single Payer specifically. Exclusively.

I'd love to find out that he really means Medicare for All, so provide a link and I'll check it out.
That's not my point. The system is symbiotic, complimentary. That's not what he wants.
He wants better than what we have. That means better than basic services from medicare for everyone. Yes, that will cut into the supplimental market, but who cares really? Health insurance companies are parasites anyway.
Then we disagree.

I don't see how he's misleading anyone. He talks about expanded medicare for all. I think it's actually pretty clear.
I've explained that. The Medicare system is not the same as Single Payer.

It may be true that you "don't see it". Educate yourself on the gaps in Medicare, the co-pays, the co-insurance, the lack of out-of-pocket maximums. Educate yourself on how Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans work.

Either he's lying or ignorant.

'A Reuters/Ipsos poll shows 85% of Democrats and 52% of Republicans support Medicare for all.

Why it matters: This single-payer system has divided the Democratic Party internally and gave Republicans a new way to attack Democrats in 2018. But this poll is the first to suggest that a majority of Americans on both sides of the aisle actually like this policy and that it could be a winning issue for candidates.

By the numbers: Two-thirds of Democratic nominees in 41 battleground House districts "want to expand the government’s role in healthcare," per Reuters.

• At least 70 House Democrats have joined the "Medicare for All" caucus, with more expected after the November midterms.
  • And most House Dems support a Medicare for All bill, which has "six members of the Blue Dog caucus of fiscally conservative Democrats signing on as co-sponsors," Reuters notes.
Be smart: This policy is only going to get more attention as we head into the 2020 presidential election, when it will likely be a litmus test for Democratic candidates.'

For better or worse - like it or not, sooner or later - it looks like single payer will become a fact of life in America.
do they say how they fund it?

Then we disagree.

I've explained that. The Medicare system is not the same as Single Payer.

It may be true that you "don't see it". Educate yourself on the gaps in Medicare, the co-pays, the co-insurance, the lack of out-of-pocket maximums. Educate yourself on how Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans work.

Either he's lying or ignorant.
The key word here is "expanded" he and most if the rest of us know he's not talking about just covering more people with the existing program. We know it will change.

I did customer service for an insurance company that did medicare part d

2-3 times a week we each got a caller telling us they weren't dead.

that's right, the government, with no proof, declared someone dead and cancelled their insurance.

It takes at least 3 months to prove you are not dead. Good luck buying all your medications, getting operations, getting a doctors appointment.

keep in mind, that was just for the people that had part d, now imagine nearly 40 million Americans using a single program.

if you morons think single payer is the future...
I've seen that happen dozens of times. It happened to a friend of mine. Some illegal using her identification died. It was reported to SS for the death benefit.

Bankruptcy for all!
Uh, guy, most countries with single payer spend 8% of their GDP on health care and get better results than we do paying 17% of our GDP on it.

Medicare for all would save us money, as it would remove things like investor payouts and CEO salaries and marketing expenses.
And all the hospitals and clinics would go bankrupt because Medicare refuses to pay for anything and reimbursements are pennies.
most docs won't even accept it and the wait time for those that do is very long.
i cant agree with that....im on Medicare and i have the same wait times i had before i had it...

I'm on Medicare and to get medical care, I still have to pay out of pocket. I get to see doctors. They just won't do anything until I take out the plastic.

I did customer service for an insurance company that did medicare part d

2-3 times a week we each got a caller telling us they weren't dead.

that's right, the government, with no proof, declared someone dead and cancelled their insurance.

It takes at least 3 months to prove you are not dead. Good luck buying all your medications, getting operations, getting a doctors appointment.

keep in mind, that was just for the people that had part d, now imagine nearly 40 million Americans using a single program.

if you morons think single payer is the future...
I've seen that happen dozens of times. It happened to a friend of mine. Some illegal using her identification died. It was reported to SS for the death benefit.
Hell...half of the time it's not even a scam. More likely than not It's one of the idiots in the Medicare office that makes a clerical error and doesn't fix it.

'A Reuters/Ipsos poll shows 85% of Democrats and 52% of Republicans support Medicare for all.

Why it matters: This single-payer system has divided the Democratic Party internally and gave Republicans a new way to attack Democrats in 2018. But this poll is the first to suggest that a majority of Americans on both sides of the aisle actually like this policy and that it could be a winning issue for candidates.

By the numbers: Two-thirds of Democratic nominees in 41 battleground House districts "want to expand the government’s role in healthcare," per Reuters.

• At least 70 House Democrats have joined the "Medicare for All" caucus, with more expected after the November midterms.
  • And most House Dems support a Medicare for All bill, which has "six members of the Blue Dog caucus of fiscally conservative Democrats signing on as co-sponsors," Reuters notes.
Be smart: This policy is only going to get more attention as we head into the 2020 presidential election, when it will likely be a litmus test for Democratic candidates.'

For better or worse - like it or not, sooner or later - it looks like single payer will become a fact of life in America.
Is this true? Because I think the majority of Republicans say "let them die" or "die quickly". Unless I have the base confused with the GOP elected leadership.

Is this true? Because I think the majority of Republicans say "let them die" or "die quickly". Unless I have the base confused with the GOP elected leadership.

You are just confused in general.

There will never be a perfect system, with a lot of working together,& leave political party advantage out of it, look for solutions that benefit the many. a good health care solution is possible. no one seems willing to go there.

Most people do not understand how medicare works.

Many retired people still crry outside supplemental insurance to cover
the 20% not covered. In addition, Medicare, by itself, is basically catastrophic insurance and not much more. To cover all the other
issues, a person needs to purchase Medicare B, which is roughly
134 a month. To get medicine discount (Medicare D) will cost
around another 50 a month.

The people who never had insurance and got Obamacare don't use
it because it is free if they go to the ER. (They just don't pay).

I don't care what you give these 20 or 30 million Americans, they will
not use it, because they won't pay anything into it, or even bother with a co-pay.

It's just a waste of time and money.

Get a job losers and buy your own damn health insurance you mooching parasitic scumbags.

Most people do not understand how medicare works.

Many retired people still crry outside supplemental insurance to cover
the 20% not covered. In addition, Medicare, by itself, is basically catastrophic insurance and not much more. To cover all the other
issues, a person needs to purchase Medicare B, which is roughly
134 a month. To get medicine discount (Medicare D) will cost
around another 50 a month.

The people who never had insurance and got Obamacare don't use
it because it is free if they go to the ER. (They just don't pay).

I don't care what you give these 20 or 30 million Americans, they will
not use it, because they won't pay anything into it, or even bother with a co-pay.

It's just a waste of time and money.

A much bigger problem is Medicare couldn't survive without insurance healthcare.

Government typically pays about 2/3 of the bill for their patients. Doctors and facilities need to up their prices so that they can recoup those losses. The upped costs are paid for by private pay and private insurance.

Most times when you see a health facility close down, it's in lower income neighborhoods where there are few if any private pay or insurance patients. There is nobody they can recoup their losses from.

Medicare for all would be a disaster because that would close down all insurance involvement in healthcare. Nobody to pay those government losses, and in fact, the losses would be tenfold of what they are today.

It could have been done in the 1970's when Nixon was President, but Democrats did not want to pass the Nixon/Kennedy plan.

Bankruptcy for all!
Uh, guy, most countries with single payer spend 8% of their GDP on health care and get better results than we do paying 17% of our GDP on it.

Medicare for all would save us money, as it would remove things like investor payouts and CEO salaries and marketing expenses.
And all the hospitals and clinics would go bankrupt because Medicare refuses to pay for anything and reimbursements are pennies.
most docs won't even accept it and the wait time for those that do is very long.
And if the doctors run too many tests or spend too much time treating your illness...the hospitals get fined millions during government Medicare linked audits.
government run hci will end with people not getting enough tests.

which is the opposite of what goes on now.

damn, imagine being forced, by the government to take certain meds, eat only approved meals and so on and on.

damn what a slope

That's exactly what would happen too. The only two things that keep us from total government servitude is energy and healthcare. Once government gains control over those two things, they will have the ability to control every American in the country.

People may not like insurance companies, but at least if you don't like one, you can choose another. People who are on government systems like my father can choose one or another. But once government takes over healthcare and you don't like it, there is nowhere else to go.

Last edited:
Bankruptcy for all!

i cant agree with that....im on Medicare and i have the same wait times i had before i had it...
well that's because you were on ACA and waited long to get in. not surprising at all.

Bankruptcy for all!

There are all kinds of tweaks that can be made. One would be a whole new cottage industry of entry-level preventive and diagnostic walk-in clinics.

We would definitely have to increase and re-construct reimbursement schedules.

We just have to THINK a little bit. But that appears to be a lost art.

So here comes real Single Payer.

Single payer would be just like Commie Care. It never addressed the problems of cost.

If we are to make any change, we can't do it the Democrat way and say "Here, somebody else pay for it."

The first step is to analyze how costs got so out of control in the first place, make a list of them, then execute each problem one at a time.

Now, this would take some guts to actually call problems, problems, particularly on the Democrat side which caused most of them. So until we can get to that point, everything else is fruitless.

Bankruptcy for all!

There are all kinds of tweaks that can be made. One would be a whole new cottage industry of entry-level preventive and diagnostic walk-in clinics.

Single payer would be just like Commie Care. It never addressed the problems of cost.

If we are to make any change, we can't do it the Democrat way and say "Here, somebody else pay for it."

The first step is to analyze how costs got so out of control in the first place, make a list of them, then execute each problem one at a time.

Now, this would take some guts to actually call problems, problems, particularly on the Democrat side which caused most of them. So until we can get to that point, everything else is fruitless.
The problem for the GOP is that it completely whiffed.

We were told for eight years that the GOP had a better plan. Turns out that was a lie.

So if we end up with Single Payer, the GOP will have paved the way.

They can't blame the Democrats for that.

Bankruptcy for all!

When has government oversight been successful?

Forum List

Back