🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Poll: nearly half of republicans think Trump should have the authority to close down news outlets

Ideologues on both ends can become authoritarians when given an excuse.

One of their many shared characteristics.

This isn't about both sides. Both sides are but supporting giving the president power to shut down the media. Both sides are not about giving the president the power to use law enforcement to investigate his opposition whether it's real or made it up. It's time to stop talking about both sides when you see that one side is doing the things discussed in this thread.
I see both sides doing authoritarian things.

Should I lie and pretend I only see one side doing it?
No you don't. You are lying to yourself when you say that.
Or you are, pretending that the Left doesn't do it (such as shutting down speech on campus, leveraging PC to intimidate and punish, and "cancel culture").

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, any more than I'm trying to convince Trumpsters of anything.
We are having a blunt and honest conversation mac that's all this is.

No I am not pretending. This claim that the left only shuts down college speakers is a fallacy. Right wing campuses don't invite liberals to speak period. And the right wingers that were invited to liberal campuses were extremists opposed by the students. THE STUDENTS did not want them there and there is no such thing as PC or cancel culture. What the fuck is PC Mac, the ability to speak respectfully about other cultures? Why is that such a fucking problem?

This is what happens when you try to look for similarities on both sides. I look at both sides just as much as you do, but I don't fall for right wing propaganda calling it a side. When Richard Spencer can be asked to speak at a university, where is the University requesting Malik Shabazz? That doesn't happen because conservative campuses just don't even try scheduling anyone but right wing mouths. You show me when a liberal last spoke at Liberty University or Bob Jones U. But these right wing extremists will scream loud and long when one of heir racist hate peddlers can't talk to large audiences.

My comprehensive ist of liberals who've been invited to speak at Liberty University:
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • -

• Funny
Reactions: IM2
I guess the first amendment should have limitations. They didn’t think this before of course. Trump just tells these respondents how to think I guess.

“Better still not mess with that second amendment though! That’s the sacred one! That fits in with my narrative still!”

Are you saying he shouldn't have that ability? Because you seem to think he should violate all other rights in order to stop Covid-19, so why not stop those germ infested reporters from spreading Covid-19 while they run all over the place?

It's really strange about why rights you have no problem violating, and then magically other rights.... well we can't violate those rights, only the rights of people I hate. I like the news media, so their rights are protected.

Either everyone's rights are protected, or they are all subject to being repealed when wanted. You can't just say some rights can be repealed, but not others.

Democrats didn't try controlling anything. And we got more accurate reporting of the news when the fairness doctrine was the policy. Now any wack job can make something up and call it news.

Uhmmm - Colleges have never attempted to shut down free speech on campus.
And yet, some HONEST Democrats have felt the need to say the following:

Emeyw5m.gif

I guess the first amendment should have limitations. They didn’t think this before of course. Trump just tells these respondents how to think I guess.

“Better still not mess with that second amendment though! That’s the sacred one! That fits in with my narrative still!”

Are you saying he shouldn't have that ability? Because you seem to think he should violate all other rights in order to stop Covid-19, so why not stop those germ infested reporters from spreading Covid-19 while they run all over the place?

It's really strange about why rights you have no problem violating, and then magically other rights.... well we can't violate those rights, only the rights of people I hate. I like the news media, so their rights are protected.

Either everyone's rights are protected, or they are all subject to being repealed when wanted. You can't just say some rights can be repealed, but not others.
Nobody's rights are being violated by asking people not to spread a deadly virus.

Emeyw5m.gif

Maybe you post his entire comment whereby he stated why colleges stopped the extremists from speaking. And still while you harp on liberal comments you ignore the fact that the right just doesn't invite opposing views to be heard at all.

This isn't about both sides. Both sides are but supporting giving the president power to shut down the media. Both sides are not about giving the president the power to use law enforcement to investigate his opposition whether it's real or made it up. It's time to stop talking about both sides when you see that one side is doing the things discussed in this thread.

Or you are, pretending that the Left doesn't do it (such as shutting down speech on campus, leveraging PC to intimidate and punish, and "cancel culture").

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, any more than I'm trying to convince Trumpsters of anything.

No I am not pretending. This claim that the left only shuts down college speakers is a fallacy. Right wing campuses don't invite liberals to speak period. And the right wingers that were invited to liberal campuses were extremists opposed by the students. THE STUDENTS did not want them there and thee is no such thing as PC or cancel culture. What the fuck is PC Mac, the ability to speak respectfully about other cultures? Why is that such a fucking problem?

This is what happens when you try to look for similarities on both sides. I look at both sides just as much as you do, but I don't fall for right wing propaganda calling it a side. When Richard Spencer can be asked to speak at a university, where is a the University requesting Malik Shabazz? That doesn't happen because conservative campuses just don't even try scheduling anyone but right wing mouths. You show me when a liberal last spoke at Liberty University or Bob Jones U. But these right wing extremists will scream loud and long when one of heir racist hate peddlers can't talk to large audiences.
I didn't say that only the Left shuts down speech. As I keep saying, the two ends share many behaviors.

If you don't know what PC is, I'm not going to burn any time trying to explain it.

If you don't see any authoritarianism from the Left, great.
No I don't know what PC is and from what I see it being described as, PC is a bunch of bullshit complained about by the right whereby they can say rude things about people from different cultures or inflict their motherfucking warped ass opinions on how everybody else but them lives.

As for authoritarianism, you show me a liberal poll whereby almost 50 percent of the liberals say a president should be able to shut down the press on his discretion.
So why do the PC police kick in everytime we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?
The Left overplays its hand with PC.

Ignorant, paranoid, knuckle-dragging racism still exists on the Right, as we see with your post.

The two conditions can occupy the same universe, simultaneously.

I kept that as simple as I could.
What the fuck is PC Mac? Explain it.

Emeyw5m.gif

Maybe you post his entire comment whereby he stated why colleges stopped the extremists from speaking. And still while you harp on liberal comments you ignore the fact that the right just doesn't invite opposing views to be heard at all.

For the third time, I hold both ends accountable.

I wish more people did.

No I am not pretending. This claim that the left only shuts down college speakers is a fallacy. Right wing campuses don't invite liberals to speak period. And the right wingers that were invited to liberal campuses were extremists opposed by the students. THE STUDENTS did not want them there and thee is no such thing as PC or cancel culture. What the fuck is PC Mac, the ability to speak respectfully about other cultures? Why is that such a fucking problem?

This is what happens when you try to look for similarities on both sides. I look at both sides just as much as you do, but I don't fall for right wing propaganda calling it a side. When Richard Spencer can be asked to speak at a university, where is a the University requesting Malik Shabazz? That doesn't happen because conservative campuses just don't even try scheduling anyone but right wing mouths. You show me when a liberal last spoke at Liberty University or Bob Jones U. But these right wing extremists will scream loud and long when one of heir racist hate peddlers can't talk to large audiences.
I didn't say that only the Left shuts down speech. As I keep saying, the two ends share many behaviors.

If you don't know what PC is, I'm not going to burn any time trying to explain it.

No I don't know what PC is and from what I see it being described as, PC is a bunch of bullshit complained about by the right whereby they can say rude things about people from different cultures or inflict their motherfucking warped ass opinions on how everybody else but them lives.

As for authoritarianism, you show me a liberal poll whereby almost 50 percent of the liberals say a president should be able to shut down the press on his discretion.
So why do the PC police kick in everytime we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?

Ignorant, paranoid, knuckle-dragging racism still exists on the Right, as we see with your post.

Nothing. There is no such thing.

There.

"So why do the PC police kick in every time we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?"

For the same reason your bitch ass cries about me being a racist for pointing out what whites did to make things that way.

There.
So you can't explain what PC is.

There.
Not to you, no, because I already know you won't "see" it. And you know that, too.

So, no reason to bother.

I take the same approach with Trumpsters here who claim that racism no longer exists.

Waste of time.

Emeyw5m.gif

I wish more people did.

You aren't holding any ends accountable because you aren't showing examples of liberals who say that a democratic president should have the right to shut down the media. Nor are you discussing the right wing organizations that never allow a liberal to speak with them.

Left center with a slight liberal bias? Wow - Ya sure got 'em now!
Guess that beats the extreme right, tinfoil hat sites we see linked around here so frequently. ;)
I am just giving perspective. Care to list one USA today article that leans remotely right? Go back as far as 24 mos.

Well, here's another opinion. USA Today essentially reports NEWS. They don't publish a lot of op-eds one way or the other. They do an excellent job with Sports and Entertainment, and print letters reflecting both conservative and progressive reader viewpoints.

USA TODAY media bias rating is Center.
USA TODAY has a Center media bias.​
AllSides has consistently rated USA TODAY as having a Center media bias. This means that USA TODAY does not predictably show opinions favoring either end of the political spectrum — conservative or liberal. A Center outlet either doesn't show much bias at all, or its bias leans to the left and right equally at different times.​
It's important to note that sometimes, a media outlet with a Center rating misses important perspectives. Some believe USA TODAY's editorial pieces have a Lean Left bias.
On Dec. 11, 2019, USA TODAY's editorial board published a piece calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment.​
A 2014 Pew Research Center study, "Where News Audiences Fit on the Political Spectrum" found USA TODAY's audience for political news is roughly evenly distributed across the ideological spectrum.​
As of April 2017, the majority of AllSides users who voted agreed with our bias rating of Center. As of July 2016, the average rating of all community feedback (agree and disagree) was Center, but much closer to Leaning Left. While ongoing research continues, the AllSides Media Bias Rating™ for USA TODAY remains Center.​
In an AllSides October 2013 Blind Bias Survey, participants rated USA TODAY as dead Center. A Blind Bias Survey is AllSides' most robust media bias rating method. We gather readers from all parts of the political bias spectrum, and have them read and rate articles blindly — without telling them which media outlet it came from. Then, we take the average bias rating of several articles from a given media outlet to arrive at our final bias rating.​

Then it should be easy to find one article that leans a little right?

My friend, as I said - The editorial board at USA Today doesn't frequently opine on politics. They play it pretty much straight down the middle - And THAT is why I like reading them!

Post an article that is down the middle?

Nearly ALL of them!

If we want to talk about threats to freedom of the press this seemed like a much more serious one than anything from the Trump administration.
James Rosen: Fox News reporter targeted as 'co- conspirator' in spying case | Obama administration | The Guardian
That was 2013. Obama is no longer president. And that reporter leaked classified information to the public. At no time did anyone suggest Obama shut down the press entirely. At no time did Obama call the press the enemy of the people.
Yes I’m well aware what year it was and that Obama is no longer President none of which is the point the Obama DOJ spied on and investigated reporter’s not just Rosen but also numerous reporters from the AP something that as far as we know has not happened under Trump. All Presidents bitch about the Press Trump more than most some would say with good reason others would not but as far as we know the Trump DOJ has not investigated any reporter for any reason if that should happen I suspect you won’t be as blasé about as you are when it happened under Obama. Which for the record is something that should concern everyone no matter who the President is or which way you lean politically.

Left center with a slight liberal bias? Wow - Ya sure got 'em now!
Guess that beats the extreme right, tinfoil hat sites we see linked around here so frequently. ;)
I am just giving perspective. Care to list one USA today article that leans remotely right? Go back as far as 24 mos.

Well, here's another opinion. USA Today essentially reports NEWS. They don't publish a lot of op-eds one way or the other. They do an excellent job with Sports and Entertainment, and print letters reflecting both conservative and progressive reader viewpoints.

USA TODAY media bias rating is Center.
USA TODAY has a Center media bias.​
AllSides has consistently rated USA TODAY as having a Center media bias. This means that USA TODAY does not predictably show opinions favoring either end of the political spectrum — conservative or liberal. A Center outlet either doesn't show much bias at all, or its bias leans to the left and right equally at different times.​
It's important to note that sometimes, a media outlet with a Center rating misses important perspectives. Some believe USA TODAY's editorial pieces have a Lean Left bias.
On Dec. 11, 2019, USA TODAY's editorial board published a piece calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment.​
A 2014 Pew Research Center study, "Where News Audiences Fit on the Political Spectrum" found USA TODAY's audience for political news is roughly evenly distributed across the ideological spectrum.​
As of April 2017, the majority of AllSides users who voted agreed with our bias rating of Center. As of July 2016, the average rating of all community feedback (agree and disagree) was Center, but much closer to Leaning Left. While ongoing research continues, the AllSides Media Bias Rating™ for USA TODAY remains Center.​
In an AllSides October 2013 Blind Bias Survey, participants rated USA TODAY as dead Center. A Blind Bias Survey is AllSides' most robust media bias rating method. We gather readers from all parts of the political bias spectrum, and have them read and rate articles blindly — without telling them which media outlet it came from. Then, we take the average bias rating of several articles from a given media outlet to arrive at our final bias rating.​

Then it should be easy to find one article that leans a little right?

My friend, as I said - The editorial board at USA Today doesn't frequently opine on politics. They play it pretty much straight down the middle - And THAT is why I like reading them!

Post an article that is down the middle?

Nearly ALL of them!
Nope

Emeyw5m.gif

I wish more people did.

You aren't holding any ends accountable because you aren't showing examples of liberals who say that a democratic president should have the right to shut down the media. Nor are you discussing the right wing organizations that never allow a liberal to speak with them.

Toss out examples, and I'll most likely agree with you. Happily.

You may as well, since we both know you won't hold the Left accountable for anything.

Just like the Trumpsters and Trump.

There.
Not to you, no, because I already know you won't "see" it. And you know that, too.

So, no reason to bother.

I take the same approach with Trumpsters here who claim that racism no longer exists.

Waste of time.
No you can't describe it to me because what you are going to show is ridiculous. I know what people like you call PC, but I want to see how you describe it. Because It's funny how PC only applies to white criticism of non white cultures and if non whites and non racist whites fight back then they are said to be PC. Seems to me PC means that whites get to criticize other cultures without accepting their role in the creation of the problem.

"So why do the PC police kick in every time we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?"

For the same reason your bitch ass cries about me being a racist for pointing out what whites did to make things that way.

Hey wait just a second IM2 - What's racist about the terms "Jungle Bunny" or "Porch Monkey"? :rolleyes:

Ysrky8gvBa-oif1H-Pa_NZcI6yFQ2Io7YwiMB1pLJE5BblKUij9DdbWnaQmDWvzyrvA3UI4bewsFaxBdJl1hmWjpMAG70P1K-KatumoviRPTQ3CKTUWr7bV6ABkD0Dnsps1uMapL61GpnhKgj8tKSy3xwrrVoa-OPLM

There.

So, no reason to bother.

Waste of time.
No you can't describe it to me because what you are going to show is ridiculous. I know what people like you call PC, but I want to see how you describe it. Because It's funny how PC only applies to white criticism of non white cultures and if non whites and non racist whites fight back then they are said to be PC. Seems to me PC means that whites get to criticize other cultures without accepting their role in the creation of the problem.
Well, run with that description, then.

Forum List

Back