🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Poll: nearly half of republicans think Trump should have the authority to close down news outlets

Yet when colleges disinvites speakers usually conservatives because of threats of violence from protesters no concern for freedom of speech then. When people usually conservatives have their social media account locked because they express an opinion unpopular with the left no concerns about freedom of speech. Two doctors had a video on YouTube taken down because their take on the coronavirus and the lockdowns did not follow along with what everyone else is saying no concerns about freedom of speech. Today I saw an article about climate change people wanting a documentary by Michael Moore who I can’t stand pulled because it challenged a lot of the claims made by the green energy people. These are things that have actually happened for all his issues with the media President Trump has never tried to shut anyone down.

Did Congress pass a law allowing such "disinvites"? No, of course not. In the Berkeley matter Berkeley PD and the Campus Police understood the speaker was an agitator, not a lecturer, and would have created a mess on the streets of Berkeley.

Your last phrase in your final sentence, "...President Trump has never tried to shut anyone down" is completely false.
Yet you provide no evidence to the contrary. Trump has not tried to shut any newspaper or news network down. If you were trying to claim Jim Acosta without actually saying his name was silenced by temporarily having his White House press credentials suspended you would be wrong as that did not prevent him from voicing his opinions on social media or CNN. For the record doing that to Acosta was a mistake it made him look like a martyr better to let him continue to make a fool of himself. As far as your agitator claim I believe one of them was the highly violent and dangerous radical Ben Shapiro.(sarcasm)

Ideologues on both ends can become authoritarians when given an excuse.

One of their many shared characteristics.

This isn't about both sides. Both sides are but supporting giving the president power to shut down the media. Both sides are not about giving the president the power to use law enforcement to investigate his opposition whether it's real or made it up. It's time to stop talking about both sides when you see that one side is doing the things discussed in this thread.
I see both sides doing authoritarian things.

Should I lie and pretend I only see one side doing it?
No you don't. You are lying to yourself when you say that.
Or you are, pretending that the Left doesn't do it (such as shutting down speech on campus, leveraging PC to intimidate and punish, and "cancel culture").

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, any more than I'm trying to convince Trumpsters of anything.
We are having a blunt and honest conversation mac that's all this is.

No I am not pretending. This claim that the left only shuts down college speakers is a fallacy. Right wing campuses don't invite liberals to speak period. And the right wingers that were invited to liberal campuses were extremists opposed by the students. THE STUDENTS did not want them there and thee is no such thing as PC or cancel culture. What the fuck is PC Mac, the ability to speak respectfully about other cultures? Why is that such a fucking problem?

This is what happens when you try to look for similarities on both sides. I look at both sides just as much as you do, but I don't fall for right wing propaganda calling it a side. When Richard Spencer can be asked to speak at a university, where is a the University requesting Malik Shabazz? That doesn't happen because conservative campuses just don't even try scheduling anyone but right wing mouths. You show me when a liberal last spoke at Liberty University or Bob Jones U. But these right wing extremists will scream loud and long when one of heir racist hate peddlers can't talk to large audiences.
I didn't say that only the Left shuts down speech. As I keep saying, the two ends share many behaviors.

If you don't know what PC is, I'm not going to burn any time trying to explain it.

If you don't see any authoritarianism from the Left, great.

I guess the first amendment should have limitations. They didn’t think this before of course. Trump just tells these respondents how to think I guess.
Concrete evidence of Trumplehead's affinity for authoritarian power. These folks are as anti-American as it gets.

This isn't about both sides. Both sides are but supporting giving the president power to shut down the media. Both sides are not about giving the president the power to use law enforcement to investigate his opposition whether it's real or made it up. It's time to stop talking about both sides when you see that one side is doing the things discussed in this thread.

Or you are, pretending that the Left doesn't do it (such as shutting down speech on campus, leveraging PC to intimidate and punish, and "cancel culture").

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, any more than I'm trying to convince Trumpsters of anything.

No I am not pretending. This claim that the left only shuts down college speakers is a fallacy. Right wing campuses don't invite liberals to speak period. And the right wingers that were invited to liberal campuses were extremists opposed by the students. THE STUDENTS did not want them there and thee is no such thing as PC or cancel culture. What the fuck is PC Mac, the ability to speak respectfully about other cultures? Why is that such a fucking problem?

This is what happens when you try to look for similarities on both sides. I look at both sides just as much as you do, but I don't fall for right wing propaganda calling it a side. When Richard Spencer can be asked to speak at a university, where is a the University requesting Malik Shabazz? That doesn't happen because conservative campuses just don't even try scheduling anyone but right wing mouths. You show me when a liberal last spoke at Liberty University or Bob Jones U. But these right wing extremists will scream loud and long when one of heir racist hate peddlers can't talk to large audiences.
I didn't say that only the Left shuts down speech. As I keep saying, the two ends share many behaviors.

If you don't know what PC is, I'm not going to burn any time trying to explain it.

No I don't know what PC is and from what I see it being described as, PC is a bunch of bullshit complained about by the right whereby they can say rude things about people from different cultures or inflict their motherfucking warped ass opinions on how everybody else but them lives.

As for authoritarianism, you show me a liberal poll whereby almost 50 percent of the liberals say a president should be able to shut down the press on his discretion.

I guess the first amendment should have limitations. They didn’t think this before of course. Trump just tells these respondents how to think I guess.

“Better still not mess with that second amendment though! That’s the sacred one! That fits in with my narrative still!”

I don't know about closing down the media, but Trump has put the "fake" in news. I don't live in the US, but everyone in the world is using it.

No I don't know what PC is and from what I see it being described as, PC is a bunch of bullshit complained about by the right whereby they can say rude things about people from different cultures or inflict their motherfucking warped ass opinions on how everybody else but them lives.

As for authoritarianism, you show me a liberal poll whereby almost 50 percent of the liberals say a president should be able to shut down the press on his discretion.
So why do the PC police kick in everytime we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?

If we want to talk about threats to freedom of the press this seemed like a much more serious one than anything from the Trump administration.
James Rosen: Fox News reporter targeted as 'co- conspirator' in spying case | Obama administration | The Guardian
That was 2013. Obama is no longer president. And that reporter leaked classified information to the public. At no time did anyone suggest Obama shut down the press entirely. At no time did Obama call the press the enemy of the people.

“Better still not mess with that second amendment though! That’s the sacred one! That fits in with my narrative still!”

~~~~~~
Although we are finding that news media are willing to sweep real news under the rug and social media is closing accounts they deem incompatible with their ideology. Whereas individual speech is being silenced and all the news is not being aired.

As an American, the thought that some government lackies or militia gangs could or should get away with marching into a newsroom and shutting the place down is absolutely intolerable. If any republican would approve of this, s/he should move to a genuine banana republic.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Left center with a slight liberal bias? Wow - Ya sure got 'em now!
Guess that beats the extreme right, tinfoil hat sites we see linked around here so frequently. ;)
I am just giving perspective. Care to list one USA today article that leans remotely right? Go back as far as 24 mos.

Well, here's another opinion. USA Today essentially reports NEWS. They don't publish a lot of op-eds one way or the other. They do an excellent job with Sports and Entertainment, and print letters reflecting both conservative and progressive reader viewpoints.

USA TODAY media bias rating is Center.
USA TODAY has a Center media bias.​
AllSides has consistently rated USA TODAY as having a Center media bias. This means that USA TODAY does not predictably show opinions favoring either end of the political spectrum — conservative or liberal. A Center outlet either doesn't show much bias at all, or its bias leans to the left and right equally at different times.​
It's important to note that sometimes, a media outlet with a Center rating misses important perspectives. Some believe USA TODAY's editorial pieces have a Lean Left bias.
On Dec. 11, 2019, USA TODAY's editorial board published a piece calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment.​
A 2014 Pew Research Center study, "Where News Audiences Fit on the Political Spectrum" found USA TODAY's audience for political news is roughly evenly distributed across the ideological spectrum.​
As of April 2017, the majority of AllSides users who voted agreed with our bias rating of Center. As of July 2016, the average rating of all community feedback (agree and disagree) was Center, but much closer to Leaning Left. While ongoing research continues, the AllSides Media Bias Rating™ for USA TODAY remains Center.​
In an AllSides October 2013 Blind Bias Survey, participants rated USA TODAY as dead Center. A Blind Bias Survey is AllSides' most robust media bias rating method. We gather readers from all parts of the political bias spectrum, and have them read and rate articles blindly — without telling them which media outlet it came from. Then, we take the average bias rating of several articles from a given media outlet to arrive at our final bias rating.​

Then it should be easy to find one article that leans a little right?

My friend, as I said - The editorial board at USA Today doesn't frequently opine on politics. They play it pretty much straight down the middle - And THAT is why I like reading them!

• Thanks

Left center with a slight liberal bias? Wow - Ya sure got 'em now!
Guess that beats the extreme right, tinfoil hat sites we see linked around here so frequently. ;)
I am just giving perspective. Care to list one USA today article that leans remotely right? Go back as far as 24 mos.

Well, here's another opinion. USA Today essentially reports NEWS. They don't publish a lot of op-eds one way or the other. They do an excellent job with Sports and Entertainment, and print letters reflecting both conservative and progressive reader viewpoints.

USA TODAY media bias rating is Center.
USA TODAY has a Center media bias.​
AllSides has consistently rated USA TODAY as having a Center media bias. This means that USA TODAY does not predictably show opinions favoring either end of the political spectrum — conservative or liberal. A Center outlet either doesn't show much bias at all, or its bias leans to the left and right equally at different times.​
It's important to note that sometimes, a media outlet with a Center rating misses important perspectives. Some believe USA TODAY's editorial pieces have a Lean Left bias.
On Dec. 11, 2019, USA TODAY's editorial board published a piece calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment.​
A 2014 Pew Research Center study, "Where News Audiences Fit on the Political Spectrum" found USA TODAY's audience for political news is roughly evenly distributed across the ideological spectrum.​
As of April 2017, the majority of AllSides users who voted agreed with our bias rating of Center. As of July 2016, the average rating of all community feedback (agree and disagree) was Center, but much closer to Leaning Left. While ongoing research continues, the AllSides Media Bias Rating™ for USA TODAY remains Center.​
In an AllSides October 2013 Blind Bias Survey, participants rated USA TODAY as dead Center. A Blind Bias Survey is AllSides' most robust media bias rating method. We gather readers from all parts of the political bias spectrum, and have them read and rate articles blindly — without telling them which media outlet it came from. Then, we take the average bias rating of several articles from a given media outlet to arrive at our final bias rating.​

Then it should be easy to find one article that leans a little right?

My friend, as I said - The editorial board at USA Today doesn't frequently opine on politics. They play it pretty much straight down the middle - And THAT is why I like reading them!

Post an article that is down the middle?

The "news" outlets that your link names (Clinton News Network, Washington Compost, NY Slimes) isn't real news. More like Entertainment Tonight type reality shows for leftist traitors.

Uhmmm - Colleges have never attempted to shut down free speech on campus. They cancelled appearances by Nazis like Richard B Spencer because they feared potential VIOLENCE ... AND because it cost too damn much money to hire special forces to quell such.

I am a conservative that thought it was ludicrous when the Democrats tried to control Conservative media outlets via the Fairness Doctrine. That said, no American -particularly conservatives - should ever even joke about such a government action to shutdown any news outlet. Now, if a news organization does something like leaking sensitive information like the New York Times did when they leaked the plan to monitor and track international terrorist finances, that is debatable on a punitive action but even then, don’t shut them down.

Yet republicans will scream bloody murder if they think their First Amendment rights to freedom of speech or freedom of religion are being abridged (except when they want to impose their religious beliefs on others), and of course, their Second Amendment right to own an arsenal. But they don't think much of the Fourteenth Amendment and they certainly don't want to support a right to privacy.

This "fake news" crap has never been supported by any evidence that the major news organizations they attack have deliberately published something that they knew to be false. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

I wonder whether it will ever dawn on the asshole who now masquerades as POTUS that what he says at the podium today is broadcast live in real time, so the reporters don't have to take notes the old-fashioned way and go write it up. Anything he says into the mic today will be there tomorrow for all to see, even if he has misgivings tomorrow and tries to walk it back.
Most of the people who drug and alcohol themselves to near death find religion to help themselves when they clean up. Once we found out we can vote politicians in who promote anything goes as freedom and all phuk ups to be paid by massive taxation, people like you showed up with swagger. If the economy tanks you will hide like mice. The howls of what people did to their bodies will appear as medical care will be severely reduced. The Obama pain pill will be the wait out of this world to another.

Deciphering you is like attempting to decipher Finnish! :huh1:

Finnish.jpg

• Funny

So why do the PC police kick in everytime we ridicule your jungle bunny civilizations?
The Left overplays its hand with PC.

Ignorant, paranoid, knuckle-dragging racism still exists on the Right, as we see with your post.

The two conditions can occupy the same universe, simultaneously.

I kept that as simple as I could.

Forum List

Back