Poll: Solid majority (71%) of Americans support Obama’s increase of the minimum wage

I was thinking that it was the Romney supporters who failed high school economics. They still believe you can cut income (taxes), increase spending, and balance the budget, even after 30+ years of failing to do so.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results.

Sure. that's precisely why we've been advocating spending cuts.

Alternate headline: 71% of the public failed high school economics.

And another cheap-shot by another elitist Romney supporter.

The truth. It sometimes hurt.

President Obama's re-election must hurt like crazy. This poll showing the overwhelming support for Obama's min-wage increase proposal must dig at your caw mightily. The latest job rate falling to 7.7 must sting.

The truth. It sometimes hurt. Powerfully!

Fyi

the government has released the first official payroll data for 2010. As you might expect, the numbers aren’t too encouraging. The “raw” average wage--net compensation divided by total number of workers--was $39,959.30, according to the data from the social security administration. but the median wage is far lower: 50 percent of workers earned less than or equal to $26,363.55 for 2010.

Nobody's gonna refuse a gift out of nowhere from Santa Claus and the Roman mobs threw more than a coupla elbows and punches at each other jostling for better street position to catch those gold coins Emperor "Little Boots" was throwing off the rooftops at the time.
All part of cultivating a nation of slugs, cheats, grifters and chiselers. Perfect Democrats.
The "Fundamental Transformation Of America" continues apace as Comrade Forksucker Obama moves relentlessly ever onward

WOW! 9 dollars an hour x 40 hours a work week = $360. dollars a week. Multiply that by 4 weeks a month = at least $1440. a month. Hmmm, now many Americans would thank God for that liveable, decent wage.

Strong support continues for minimum wage - First Read

A solid majority of Americans support President Obama’s proposal in his most recent State of the Union to increase the minimum wage.

Some 71 percent of those surveyed said they supported raising the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour from $7.25, while 27 percent opposed it, according to a Gallup Poll released Wednesday.

The results attest to the popularity of Obama’s plan, wrote Gallup’s Lydia Saad in the poll’s release...

The poll has 50% of the Republicans supporting a minimum wage increase, but 50% of the Republican politicians aren't going to support it. You aren't going to get 50% support from our right-wing idiots.

Alternate headline: 71% of the public failed high school economics.

Bingo. It' more of that "free shit" that people expect from Obama. He's given us healthcare. Now he's going to give us higher wages. OK, some of us will get higher wages. Others will get foodstamps.

I'm sure folks see the MW as something they would like to see go higher.

I wonder if they realize that business won't hire as many people and that the prices for products will go up??

Wonder how that poll would be answered favorably if that little factoid was thrown in??

How many people will be grateful for losing their jobs because of it?

It's not exactly a coincidence that we upped the minimum wage and we are not at significantly higher unemployment. Im not saying it was all caused by the minimum wage in and of itself, but it was definitely a factor.

When you artificially increase the cost of labor, you get less of it.

Not many people at all will lose their jobs. San Francisco pays $10 an hour min-wage and the are flourishing. Ditto for Sante Fe NM which also pays $10/hour minimum wage.

So you think that increasing the cost of labor will somehow produce more of it?

Your premise is inherently flawed and this is not rocket surgery...

it doesn't "increase the cost of labor" -- it simply keeps up with the value of the dollar. Actually it doesn't even do that; when I started working the minimum wage was one dollar twenty-five cents per hour, which was reasonable enough to take a job flipping hamburgers. In today's currency that's the equivalent of $8.27 an hour -- which is more than a dollar more than the current minimum wage of $7.25. In other words the minimum value of labor has lost ground.

So imagining an "increase in the cost of labor" or "a gift from Santa" is just dishonest corporate-boot-licking bullshit. To NOT keep up with the changing value of currency would be cheapening the value of human labour, so let's at least be honest; we've already allowed the value of labor to decline; keep letting it slip down and we'll have no discernible minimum wages at all.

I mean, talk about "high school economics" (smh)... I have to wonder how some of these corporate sycophants find the "submit post" button by themselves.... :dunno:

Last edited:
Corporate profits are doing very well, companies are sitting on mountains of cash, CEO's and upper management are receiving record bonuses again.

Obviously, companies could pay more for labor and be doing just fine. Maybe the executives wouldn't have quite as big a bonus. But hey, 10 million a year vs 15 million a year. They will be fine.

Two ways the economy can be well stimulated. Either get more companies to hire more people, which they are not doing in great enough numbers. Or share some of the corporate profits with the working person by increasing their wages. More money to them is more money in circulation buying more goods and services, more tax dollars to the treasury and that's what makes the world go round.

I'm sure folks see the MW as something they would like to see go higher.

I wonder if they realize that business won't hire as many people and that the prices for products will go up??

Wonder how that poll would be answered favorably if that little factoid was thrown in??

Throw in this factoid! I say business and society can adjust to doubling what they pay for labor, but many businesses and families would fail if they cut wages in half.

Now, picture the guy who has his small business and makes $250,000 per year. What is he going to make when he loses most of his customers and only saves a little on his labor expenses? He isn't even going to make unemployment benefits, because he didn't pay in for them to cover himself. He's going to lose that business, because his other expenses aren't going to get cut in half. He could price his way out of an increase in labor, but people are going to be struggling for existence with half their pay. They aren't even going to be able to pay their bills, let alone spend money on anything else.

WOW! 9 dollars an hour x 40 hours a work week = $360. dollars a week. Multiply that by 4 weeks a month = at least $1440. a month. Hmmm, now many Americans would thank God for that liveable, decent wage.

Strong support continues for minimum wage - First Read

A solid majority of Americans support President Obama’s proposal in his most recent State of the Union to increase the minimum wage.

Some 71 percent of those surveyed said they supported raising the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour from $7.25, while 27 percent opposed it, according to a Gallup Poll released Wednesday.

The results attest to the popularity of Obama’s plan, wrote Gallup’s Lydia Saad in the poll’s release...

The same people that re-elected a legislative branch with a <10% approval rating

:eusa_whistle:

Forgive me if I don't trust "the majority"

How many people will be grateful for losing their jobs because of it?

It's not exactly a coincidence that we upped the minimum wage and we are not at significantly higher unemployment. Im not saying it was all caused by the minimum wage in and of itself, but it was definitely a factor.

When you artificially increase the cost of labor, you get less of it.

Not many people at all will lose their jobs. San Francisco pays $10 an hour min-wage and they are flourishing. Ditto for Sante Fe NM which also pays $10/hour minimum wage.

Every time that raising the minimum wage is discussed those on the right whine that it will cause massive unemployment.

Guess what? It's never happened.

Forum List

Back