Pope Francis Raises Idea of ‘Solutions’ to Clergy Celibacy

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Wow...this Pope is shaking some shit up! He's rocking the joint and I'm loving it. Go Frankie Go!!!

Pope Francis reportedly called the Catholic Church’s requirement that its clergy remain celibate a “problem” for which “there are solutions,” during a controversial interview with an Italian newspaper.​

Let priests marry, that's your solution.

Wow...this Pope is shaking some shit up! He's rocking the joint and I'm loving it. Go Frankie Go!!!

Pope Francis reportedly called the Catholic Church’s requirement that its clergy remain celibate a “problem” for which “there are solutions,” during a controversial interview with an Italian newspaper.​

Gos bless him on his journey.

A celibate Clergy is the result of the political situation of the late dark ages/medieval period. It allowed families to shunt sons into something that would support them, but prevent them from having progeny requiring inheritances.

If you think this will lead to other changes of position, I hate to dash your hopes. Positions against homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, etc are doctrines based on the bible. Celibate priests are not.

Well they know they've got a huge percentage of gays in their seminaries so 2% peds is no surprise.

They better figure something out before all those formerly abused little boys end up owning Vatican City.

A celibate Clergy is the result of the political situation of the late dark ages/medieval period. It allowed families to shunt sons into something that would support them, but prevent them from having progeny requiring inheritances.

If you think this will lead to other changes of position, I hate to dash your hopes. Positions against homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, etc are doctrines based on the bible. Celibate priests are not.

Maybe the church can help convince others that male sex drives are innate and not a perversion.

Maybe the church can help convince others that male sex drives are innate and not a perversion.
Fat chance. Religion's purpose mostly is to force people to conform. Not necessarily a bad thing, many people need conformity. But losing the ability to guilt you into submission is a huge bit too let go of.

:lol: Yeah...just keep on believin' that. Even "the Church" will come around on "the gheys"...but that's not what this is about. This is huge, all by itself.

I swear, if Frankie comes out and says women can be priests, I'm convertin'.

It only took them 12 centuries to even consider this.

Francis is shaking it hard. And it's like a brittle 90 year old man. He might just unravel their global entanglements. That will be interesting to see.

:lol: Yeah...just keep on believin' that. Even "the Church" will come around on "the gheys"...but that's not what this is about. This is huge, all by itself.

I swear, if Frankie comes out and says women can be priests, I'm convertin'.

I think they will lose more members than they will gain by doing this. Being a former Catholic I know these folks love that tradition. the things that make the church bizarre to the test of humanity makes it endearing to them.

Fat chance. Religion's purpose mostly is to force people to conform. Not necessarily a bad thing, many people need conformity. But losing the ability to guilt you into submission is a huge bit too let go of.

then you really mean the Church's goal is to get you to submit.

Was a Pope who instituted the celibacy requirement, so presumedly a Pope can reverse it. Certainly isn't iun the Bible. In Judaism it's the exact opposite in fact and rabbis are all but required to be married 'lest their imaginations are preoccupied with lust.'

Isn't that the goal of every church, every religion? Why would their be gods if the goal isn't too get you to submit to them by worshipping them?

Submit it's the single most common theme in all theism.

Isn't that the goal of every church, every religion? Why would their be gods if the goal isn't too get you to submit to them by worshipping them?

It is---that's why I used the word instead of the word "conform" that YOU used.

It's kind of an open secret that many Catholic priests and nuns are married and sexually active.

"Priests’ wives to Pope Francis: Relax the rules, we are suffering"
Priests? wives to Pope Francis: Relax the rules, we are suffering | The Kansas City Star

In a way, the policy requiring celibacy isn't unlike religious persecution of homosexuals. Everybody knows it's going on, but it's become ingrained in dogma over the millenia. I'm not holding my breath this or any other Pope is gonna counteract the Bible as to homosexuality, but he/they can reverse a prior Papal decree (I would think, not an expert on such things.)

There is no reason not to allow priests to marry other than tradition

Marriage will allow priests to live normal lives, give them insight into the married lives of parishioners and encourage future generations of children to become priests ( my father was a priest)

It's kind of an open secret that many Catholic priests and nuns are married and sexually active.

Priests? wives to Pope Francis: Relax the rules, we are suffering | The Kansas City Star

In a way, the policy requiring celibacy isn't unlike religious persecution of homosexuals. Everybody knows it's going on, but it's become ingrained in dogma over the millenia. I'm not holding my breath this or any other Pope is gonna counteract the Bible as to homosexuality, but he/they can reverse a prior Papal decree (I would think, not an expert on such things.)

Much like Jews who secretly grab a slice of bacon. Hopefully reform can happen

It is---that's why I used the word instead of the word "conform" that YOU used.

"No woman wants to be in submission to a man who isn't in submission to God!" T.D. Jakes

24As the church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything.
- Ephesians 5
http://www.usccb.org/bible/ephesians/5

Reform Jews perhaps. Reform should never happen to religion, once it does it's no longer from God but Man.

Reform Jews perhaps. Reform should never happen to religion, once it does it's no longer from God but Man.

you conservative you

Of course. Did you think it was otherwise?

Forum List

Back