Pot legalization in OH

Spend billions fighting the drug war good idea. After all freedom means telling folk what to do with their own bodies
These conservatives surreptitiously state they want smaller, less intrusive govt. but want their morals enforced like progressives...

I find it encouraging that the topic has evolved into a moot court discussion on the relevant laws rather than arguments for and against the use of marijuana. This suggests a weakening of the Reefer Madness fanatics' position.
Marijuana smoking is addictive and destroys brain cells. That has never changed.

There is no physical dependence with using Cannabis unlike the other government approved recreational drugs. Futhermore the myth that it destroys brain cell was debunked decades ago. KY used to be one of the largest producers of hemp fibers and legalization would be a boon to farmers.

Hemp production isn't one of the best arguments for legalizing weed. The market for fiber rope isn't what it used to be. And hemp paper isn't as good as wood pump, albeit its far more efficient in larger scales.

Alas, there's no paper shortage either. So hemp fills a need that's already met.

An estimated 55,700 metric tons of industrial hemp are produced around the world each year. China, Russia, and South Korea are the leading hemp-producing nations. They account for 70 percent of the world's industrial hemp supply.

Canada had 38,828 licensed acres of industrial hemp in 2011. Canadian exports of hemp seed and hemp products were estimated at more than $10 million, with most going to the U.S.

Because there is no commercial industrial hemp production in the United States, the U.S. market is largely dependent on imports, both as finished hemp-containing products and as ingredients for use in further processing. More than 30 nations grow industrial hemp as an agricultural commodity. The United States is the only industrialized nation that does not allow industrial hemp production.

Industrial Hemp Facts

And this has what to do with legalizing marijuana for recreational use?

"hemp is genetically different and distinguished by its use and chemical makeup. Industrial hemp refers to cannabis varieties that are primarily grown as an agricultural crop. Hemp plants are low in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, marijuana's primary psychoactive chemical). THC levels for hemp generally are less than 1 percent. Federal legislation that would exclude hemp from the legal definition of marijuana would set a ceiling of 0.3 percent THC for a cannabis variety to be identified as hemp. Marijuana refers to the flowering tops and leaves of psychoactive cannabis varieties, which are grown for their high content of THC. THC levels for marijuana average about 10 percent but can go much higher."

So industrialized hemp is not the marijuana that we're talking about.

No, but it is virtually indistinguishable from marijuana if you only look at it, as they look almost identical. What the government does for industrial hemp is that they come and test some of the plants on a regular basis to make sure marijuana isn't being grown alongside the hemp. Saw a documentary on it the other day, and the regs that hemp growers have to go through are almost as strict as what the marijuana growers have to deal with in CO.

You know.................this is going to come up again, and probably in 2016, because the investors have seen how much money there is to be made, and I don't really see them giving up so easy.

Maybe if they had left out the exclusive grow rights clause it would have passed.

But mark my words, big business is looking hard at how profitable it is, and it should be just a few more years before it becomes legal everywhere.

When there is lots of money to be made, leave it to the investors to figure out how to get it.

As with Marijuana there is no good reason to keep it illegal.
Well, the citizens in Ohio and 47 other states disagree with you. We all know potheads, many post here, it is not a good thing. At least with alcohol you sober up and continue along. Pot fucks up your head and makes you think you are much smarter than you are. Even after you come down.

Ahhh yes good to deny cancer patients some relief. Nice job Ohio...talk about backwards

Actually, many cannabis users voted against this bill, because it seems that the people who contributed 2 million dollars or more to the campaign to make it legal would also get exclusive grow rights from the state.

Giving a small amount of people the rights to growing all the marijuana in the state means that you've formed a cartel.

Cannabis legalization shouldn't be about monopolies and cartels, it should be about freedom.

And, for all you posters that think cannabis destroys brain cells, consider this...........there are MANY people who have brain seizures that are helped a great deal with cannabis oil and smoking marijuana. Many have also found it helpful in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease as well. So, if the brain is actually helped by the THC and CBD in cannabis, how is that "destroying brain cells"?

Additionally, there have been MANY studies by well regarded medical societies that state unequivocally that cannabis is NOT physically addictive. There are zero physical withdrawl symptoms, and no, you don't "jones" for another hit because there are no physical symptoms.

Some would argue that you can become mentally addicted to it, and that is possible. However, you can also become mentally addicted to gambling, shopping, other people (it's called co-dependency), exercise or anything else.

While I would have liked to see cannabis legalized in OH, I'm glad this measure failed because of the monopoly and cartel that it would create.
Well said -- and right on!

Sister and 2 brothers, 4 nephews and 2 nieces, and their spouses, have already voted against it this morning.

Most pot smokers voted against it due to the monopoly that a few people would have growing it. That along with the fact that they wanted to make pot candy for sale also, which was a bad idea. It went down by a 2 to 1 margin, even though the majority of Ohioans support legalization.

They will just have to try again next time, with a better law.

I am sure they will. Ideally they should put this on the ballot in a presidential election year like next year, or at least in a year when the governor's seat is up for election. Turnout in Ohio was 42% with the pot measure on the ballot, but it would be much higher with more young people voting in a presidential election year.

Sister and 2 brothers, 4 nephews and 2 nieces, and their spouses, have already voted against it this morning.

Most pot smokers voted against it due to the monopoly that a few people would have growing it. That along with the fact that they wanted to make pot candy for sale also, which was a bad idea. It went down by a 2 to 1 margin, even though the majority of Ohioans support legalization.

I get the impression that the proposition was written in order to fail.

Those who put the money up to get it on the ballot are the ten people who would have earned sole growing rights under the law. Most people did not like that.

Why? Pot being illegal is wildly inconsistent.
Except that it isn't -- it is illegal everywhere under federal law.

I don't know how many pot plants you can grow on 49 acres, but i do know that it falls under the maximum possible federal penalty for trafficking.

I don't know how many pot plants you can grow on 49 acres

around 32 thousand pounds

They will just have to try again next time, with a better law.

I am sure they will. Ideally they should put this on the ballot in a presidential election year like next year, or at least in a year when the governor's seat is up for election. Turnout in Ohio was 42% with the pot measure on the ballot, but it would be much higher with more young people voting in a presidential election year.

The splits are about what you expect by age and politics. The interesting thing is the split by race, where whites support it more than minorities.

Political Issue: Marijuana

I get the impression that the proposition was written in order to fail.

Those who put the money up to get it on the ballot are the ten people who would have earned sole growing rights under the law. Most people did not like that.

Yep, the initiative lost support from the very people who were proposing legalization. So you pissed off both the hippie types, and the libertarian types at the same time.

I don't know how many pot plants you can grow on 49 acres, but i do know that it falls under the maximum possible federal penalty for trafficking.

That seems a little high. 32,000 pounds of buds? Or 32,000 pounds in plants, including leaves and stems? Because $200 million in retail value seems a little high for 49 acres.

That seems a little high. 32,000 pounds of buds? Or 32,000 pounds in plants, including leaves and stems? Because $200 million in retail value seems a little high for 49 acres.

one can produce around 650 plants per acre

under perfect conditions a plant will produces somewhere around 16 to 18 ounces each

16 x 650 x 49 =

i dont smoke weed or buy weed anymore so i dont even know the value per ounce

under perfect conditions a plant will produces somewhere around 16 to 18 ounces each

16 x 650 x 49 =

16 ounces is an outrageous yield of bud for a single plant. You must be including leaves and stems. Indoor yields are less than a 1/10th that. I'd say you'd get 2 ounces of quality bud per plant. 3 tops.

Though you'd probably be able to use the leaves and such for pot butter or other consumables.

16 x 650 x 49 =

16 ounces is an outrageous yield of bud for a single plant. You must be including leaves and stems. Indoor yields are less than a 1/10th that. I'd say you'd get 2 ounces of quality bud per plant. 3 tops.

Though you'd probably be able to use the leaves and such for pot butter or other consumables.

16 ounces is an outrageous yield of bud for a single plant.

16 oz is a conservative number for the desired portion

the whole plant leaves stems and all weighs much more then 16 oz

maybe you never handled one

Forum List

Back